Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #5931
View in linear mode

Subject: "ViewNX and raw" Previous topic | Next topic
Brian_S Registered since 28th Jan 2011Mon 04-Apr-11 12:40 AM
614 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"ViewNX and raw"

Thunder Bay, CA

i haven't been working very long with raw files
i use viewnx and viewnx 2 but yesterday viewnx2 crashed quie a few times on me so i have gone back to the original version
what i am wondering about is when working on my raw files, and clicking on the raw button in viewnx most times the image cleans right up and is razor sharp
but, when i edit my raws and then convert them to jpegs they are far from what i viewed when clicking on the raw button
am i missing something in being able to maintain that clarity or is it the nature of the beast when converting to jpeg to lose that?
the help menu with viewnx isn't all that helpful in this regard
Thanks for any help

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Mon 04-Apr-11 08:25 AM
1002 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: ViewNX and raw"
In response to Reply # 0

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Hi Brian,

Your "equipment" data is not filled in so I will be guessing a bit in my comments:

When you convert your RAW image(s) to JPG what quality do you select? It seems to me that you could be converting to a rather low quality (or small size) JPG image.

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 04-Apr-11 10:27 AM
8790 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: ViewNX and raw"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

View NX is no longer supported by Nikon, so ultimately you will need to resolve the issue with View NX2.

View NX2 has a lot more editing functionality, as well as an easy Convert function to render JPEGs.

View NX2 should render the image in RAW using the camera settings. You should not have to select any button for it to render the image.

What are the specs on your computer. Do you have enough RAM to run View NX2 - it requires 2GB and works best with 4GB on a Windows PC.

Can you describe what was happening when it crashed? Did you have more than one image open? Did you save your edits? Do you have the most recent version?

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Brian_S Registered since 28th Jan 2011Mon 04-Apr-11 02:44 PM
614 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: ViewNX and raw"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon 04-Apr-11 02:45 PM by Brian_S

Thunder Bay, CA

Thanks for the reply Clive, i am converting the jpegs to the highest quality possible

Eric, my computer is older and i know i am below what is needed with it but NX2 was working good, when it started to crash i was doing minor edits to my files
i am just more concerned with my jpegs versus the raw image after clicking on the raw button, the raw image is clean and sharp like images i see posted in the forums but once converted to jpeg, well they're horribly soft
but from what i have found doing a google search it seems that its what it is when converting to jpeg

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #5931 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.