Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #5871
View in linear mode

Subject: "Sharpening settings in NX2 for D7000?" Previous topic | Next topic
dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Sat 26-Mar-11 06:27 AM
710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Sharpening settings in NX2 for D7000?"

San Francisco, US

I recently purchased a D7000. I also use NX2 and have the ebook from Jason Odell. With my D200, I used the capture sharpening setting suggested in Jason's ebook. I have been unable to find comparable setting for the D7000, but because the sensor is so different, I suspect the sharpening setting are, also. Can anyone provide me with the USM setting you use for sharpening in NX2 with the D7000?

dgs

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Sharpening settings in NX2 for D7000?
KnightPhoto Gold Member
26th Mar 2011
dgs2
31st Mar 2011
dm1dave Administrator
01st Apr 2011
mholka
02nd Apr 2011
ozzy1
02nd Apr 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
02nd Apr 2011
Photo Grapher
08th Apr 2011
TundraNut Silver Member
19th May 2011

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 26-Mar-11 12:12 PM
4255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Sharpening settings in NX2 for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 26-Mar-11 12:16 PM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

>I recently purchased a D7000. I also use NX2 and have the
>ebook from Jason Odell. With my D200, I used the capture
>sharpening setting suggested in Jason's ebook. I have been
>unable to find comparable setting for the D7000, but because
>the sensor is so different, I suspect the sharpening setting
>are, also. Can anyone provide me with the USM setting you use
>for sharpening in NX2 with the D7000?

One of the moderators (Dave) posted an excellent sharpening recap recently so I would like to link to it, but for the moment I can't find it (it was either in this forum or the D7K forum I think).

Dave was pointing out the three phases of sharpening "Capture, Creative, and Output". I'll bet he will notice this and chime in.

Anyhow, in Dr. J's recent video ebook offering, Jason is very much continuing the theme of the 3 phases, advocating in particular use of selective sharpening in phase 2 (as well as advocating more use of Hi-Pass for detailed backgrounds). There's so much information in there I am still going through it.

To sum up I am using a variety of sharpening settings:
- in camera I dial it up to 6 or 7 within the picture controls. This has two purposes, it allows me to evaluate sharpness while I am out shooting and it allows a decent default if I am bulk-processing an event. Something I do often is individually process the best 20 or 40 photos and then maybe bulk process another 60 from an event.

- if I am giving an image individual attention, then I turn the in-camera sharpening off in NX2 and start with maybe 40/5/4 or 50/3/4 or even higher on the first number for a landscape. On a people shot oftentimes even my Capture sharpening might be selective.

- if you have an image that is not sharp but you need to rescue it, try 15/50/0.

- Creative sharpening second step will be selective and might be 40/5/4 or 50/3/4 or High-Pass. Sometimes I skip this step altogether. Or sometimes I'll actually leave the in-camera sharpening as the Capture sharpening step and then apply selective sharping as the Creative step.

- For both Capture and Creative sharpening I will oftentimes dial the first number down (from 40 or 50 to 30 or 25).

- Output sharpening I personally go easy and use 15/2/4 most often or 25/3/2 (or sometimes none) for jpgs after resizing. I think the printing folks sharpen even more for print output to the point where it has an over-sharpened look for web viewing. Based on that if my Output is Print I have taken to sharpening the image more aggressively.

- my sharpening has evolved since I went D200, D300, D700, D7000 but I think of it as more nuanced over time and not really camera-specific. E.g. for landscapes or birding/wildlife I'll sharpen a lot;, for people less sharpening overall except hair, eyes, lips, and hands and especially try to noise reduce their skin to reduce detail.

- It's been a while since I had the D200 though for me to recall whether there was something camera specific vs. the D7000. I guess based on Jason's materials he's got me thinking more subject-specific and output specific rather than camera specific but there may well be some D200 quirks that translate differently now with the D7000. I will say I sharpen fairly aggressively but more selectively on the D7K, especially since I take advantage of D7K high ISO for a LOT of my shooting, so I find I have to be a little careful not to sharpen noise into the image. But coming from the D200 that should be a full two-stop ISO advantage which is huge IMO!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Thu 31-Mar-11 09:51 PM
710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Sharpening settings in NX2 for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 1

San Francisco, US

Thanks for your great response. Very helpful. I'll also look for the thread you mentioned.

dgs

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 01-Apr-11 03:37 AM
11386 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Sharpening settings in NX2 for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 01-Apr-11 05:13 PM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

Hi David,

The post Steve is referring to is in the middle of a really good thread on post processing. The sharpening discussion starts here at post #10. The entire thread is worth reading.

The setting suggested by Steve should be a good starting point. Even the settings listed in Jason's book are meant to be starting points and should be adjusted for the individual image. An important thing to remember about capture sharpening is that it is not the final sharpening for the image so it should not be very aggressive. You are only sharpening enough to reverse the effect of the camera Anti-Aliasing Filter. This makes the image just sharp enough that you can see where further sharpening is needed.

I tend to use a fairly low level of in-camera sharpening and in most cases I leave that as my Capture Sharpening. Usually the only time that I turn off the in-camera sharpening and apply Capture Sharpening in CNX is if the image may have noise issues as explained in the other thread.

Here is another good disscussion...
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=7028&mesg_id=7028&page=#7257

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

mholka Registered since 04th Jan 2011Sat 02-Apr-11 12:31 AM
410 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Sharpening settings in NX2 for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 1
Sat 02-Apr-11 01:20 PM by mholka

Brownstown Twp, US

I am learning the whole PP thing. So I find your tips and suggestions very helpful. Thx

What is the difference between High-Pass and Unsharp Mask?

Shoot, shoot and shoot some more!

--Martin
www.ExclusivePhotoWorks.com
Nikon Body's
D800e, D300s, D7000, D90, D80, F100

Lenses:
18 - 200 F3.5-5.6 VRII, 70-200 F2.8 VR II,
18 - 105 F3.5-5.6 VR, 18 - 135 F3.5-5.6,
35 - 70 F2.8, 50 F1.4, 70 - 300 F4-4.5,
Sigma 150-500 F5-6.3

ozzy1 Registered since 22nd Mar 2011Sat 02-Apr-11 09:36 AM
90 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Sharpening settings in NX2 for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 4

AU

Martin..I am interested in that too....best of luck, howerver, for getting a useful reply.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ozzy66/Cockfighting-1.gif

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 02-Apr-11 08:00 PM
4255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Sharpening settings in NX2 for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 5

Alberta, CA

The other good post by Dave about the three types of sharpening is in the D7000 forum here:
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=7028&mesg_id=7028&page=

IIRC Jason Odell advocates High Pass in the Creative step for high-detail images such as landscapes. I recommend his Video-product. Actually all his products I have bought have been a great value IMO. And Geez Louise his Photo Safaris look to be a great bargain!

I agree though that USM vs. High Pass is a difficult topic (and like another recent poster indicated - a detailed discussion is above my pay grade )

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Photo Grapher Registered since 28th Mar 2011Fri 08-Apr-11 10:51 AM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Sharpening settings in NX2 for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 6

Calcutta, IN

Thanks for the excellent info. I really found the two threads of Dave very informative.
Is there any specific value available for D90? I use CNX2 for PP and I am also very much a newbie in this matter.

Visit My Nikonians Gallery

TundraNut Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2009Thu 19-May-11 01:40 AM
80 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Sharpening settings in NX2 for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 7

Albuquerque, US

I just saw this older post while looking for sharpening settings for my newly purchased D7000 and realized nobody responded to you. In any event, Jason Odell recommends a capture sharpening setting of 40/4/4 in Capture NX2 for the D90.

Dave

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #5871 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.