Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #5767
View in linear mode

Subject: "Distortion Control vs Auto Distortion" Previous topic | Next topic
mel_klim Silver Member Charter MemberTue 15-Mar-11 03:20 AM
766 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Distortion Control vs Auto Distortion"

Los Angeles, US

What is the difference between the Adjust-Distortion Control (Top menu) and the Auto Distortion (Develop Section)?

The Distortion Control always seems to correct the image, but not the case with the Auto Distortion.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Distortion Control vs Auto Distortion
robsb Platinum Member
15th Mar 2011
mklass Platinum Member
15th Mar 2011
walkerr Administrator
15th Mar 2011
Wingman Silver Member
15th Mar 2011
walkerr Administrator
15th Mar 2011
robsb Platinum Member
16th Mar 2011
robsb Platinum Member
16th Mar 2011
mklass Platinum Member
16th Mar 2011
Robp Gold Member
16th Mar 2011
gpoole Platinum Member
16th Mar 2011
walkerr Administrator
17th Mar 2011
Robp Gold Member
17th Mar 2011
walkerr Administrator
17th Mar 2011
robsb Platinum Member
20th Mar 2011
robsb Platinum Member
16th Mar 2011
chevysales
16th Mar 2011
smarriott
21st Mar 2011

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 15-Mar-11 06:06 AM
12705 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Distortion Control vs Auto Distortion"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

The distortion control works like the old one in photoshop and is a simple slider that corrects manually for pincushion and barrel distortion. The Auto distortion control will not work on all Nikkor lenses as yet. It does an overall distortion correction based upon lens data in its data base. it works fine for my 17-35 f/2.8, and my 70-200 VR, but shows no effect on my 35-70 f/2.8. If your lens is not in the database you will see no effect. If your lens is covered you will see an instant correction when you select auto distortion, but it does not come on automatically.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 15-Mar-11 09:09 AM
5907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Distortion Control vs Auto Distortion"
In response to Reply # 1

Tacoma, US

Seems to me that Auto Distortion doesn't even appear in the DEvelop section unless the lens model is in the database. Is taht correct?

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Tue 15-Mar-11 10:58 AM
14529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Distortion Control vs Auto Distortion"
In response to Reply # 2

Colorado Springs, US

Yes, that's correct.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Tue 15-Mar-11 03:10 PM
1166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Distortion Control vs Auto Distortion"
In response to Reply # 3

Kimberley, CA

Is there a listing anywhere of what lenses are covered? Is Nikon continuing to add to the covered lenses?

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Tue 15-Mar-11 05:02 PM
14529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Distortion Control vs Auto Distortion"
In response to Reply # 4

Colorado Springs, US

I've never seen one, but they did add new lenses in the last release (2.2.7). Some of them were well in advance of them being on the market, but at other times they've lagged a bit.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 16-Mar-11 01:35 AM
12705 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Distortion Control vs Auto Distortion"
In response to Reply # 5

San Jose, US

Rick you mean 2.2.6 I think. You had me scrambling to Nikon site to find 2.2.7 but 2.2.6 is the latest version.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 16-Mar-11 01:40 AM
#8. "RE: Distortion Control vs Auto Distortion"
In response to Reply # 5
Thu 17-Mar-11 06:41 AM by robsb

San Jose, US

Why don't we start a list here? ADMIN when this list is done, can we pin a cleaned up version to the top of the Forum?

Off the top of my head the following lenses I have used turn on Auto Distortion'

17-35 f/2.8 zoom FX
70-200 VR FX
300 mm f/4 FX

Provided by Mick:
24-120 f/4G VR
28-300 f/3.5-5.6G VR
14-24 f/2.8G

Provided by Gary :
AF-S 12-24/4 G
AF-S 16-85/3.5-5.6 G
AF-S 17-35/2.8 D
AF 18-35/3.5-4.6 D
AF-S 28-70/2.8 D
AF 28-105/3.5-4.5 D
AF-S 70-300/1:4.5-5.6 G VR
AF 80-200/2.8 D ED (two ring)
AF-S 80-200/2.8 D
AF 80-400/4.5-5.6 D VR

Provided by Rob:
70-300 f/4.5-5.6G VR
80-400 f/4.5-5.6D VR
50mm f/1.4G

Provided by Chevy Sales

24-70 f/2.8

Provided by Rick:
24mm 1.4,
35mm 1.4,
85mm 1.4 G
200mm 4.0 AF-D
70-180mm Micros
70-200mm 2.8 VRII,
16-35mm 4.0 VR,
18-200mm,
18-70mm,
200-400mm VR,
105mm 2.0 DC (no visible distortion),
135mm 2.0 DC.
70-300mm 4.5-5.6 AF-D
12-24mm.

The following lenses do not allow distortion correction in Capture NX2 2.2.6
45/2.8 P
AF 50/1.8
AF 35-70/2.8
24-85 f/2.8-4D

Fisheye Control (only Two lenses supported)

16mm f/2.8 Fisheye FX
10mm Fisheye DX

I'll try to revisit my other lenses and see if they work. Others can add lenses that they have that they know work.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 16-Mar-11 02:23 AM
5907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Distortion Control vs Auto Distortion"
In response to Reply # 8

Tacoma, US

Off the top of my head, add the:

24-120 f/4G VR
28-300 f/3.5-5.6G VR
14-24 f/2.8G

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Wed 16-Mar-11 02:20 PM
951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Distortion Control vs Auto Distortion"
In response to Reply # 8
Thu 17-Mar-11 01:40 AM by Robp

Gainesville, US

Hi Bob,

These also work with Auto Distortion.

70-300 f/4.5-5.6G VR
80-400 f/4.5-5.6D VR
50mm f/1.4G

Interestingly, the following do not (or, at least, I didn't see any difference).

105 f/2.8G VR Edit Does support Auto Distortion per R. Walker
24-85 f/2.8-4D

Rob Puller
My Nikonians gallery

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Wed 16-Mar-11 04:22 PM
3657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Distortion Control vs Auto Distortion"
In response to Reply # 8
Wed 16-Mar-11 10:37 PM by gpoole

Farmington Hills, US

Edited to correct a typo in the 70-300 item and add DX where appropriate. The list of lenses are the same.

My additions (some are duplications of previously mentioned lenses) from my past and present collection.

The following lenses allow distortion correction in Capture NX2 2.2.6:

• AF-S 12-24/4 G DX
  • AF-S 16-85/3.5-5.6 G DX
  • AF-S 17-35/2.8 D
  • AF 18-35/3.5-4.6 D
  • AF-S 28-70/2.8 D
  • AF 28-105/3.5-4.5 D
  • AF-S 70-300/4.5-5.6 G VR
  • AF 80-200/2.8 D ED (two ring)
  • AF-S 80-200/2.8 D
  • AF 80-400/4.5-5.6 D VR

The following lenses do not allow distortion correction in Capture NX2 2.2.6
  • 45/2.8 P
  • AF 50/1.8
  • AF 35-70/2.8
My guess is that these are all to old to be supported. Also I wouldn't think that the primes need any distortion correction.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Thu 17-Mar-11 12:51 AM
#13. "RE: Distortion Control vs Auto Distortion"
In response to Reply # 8
Thu 17-Mar-11 01:07 AM by walkerr

Colorado Springs, US

All three of the new 1.4 lenses (24mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4 G) are supported. The 105mm 2.8 VR Micro is actually supported, but the amount of correction applied is low due to the low distortion of this lens. Similarly, the 200mm 4.0 AF-D and 70-180mm Micros are supported. Other lenses that are supported are the 70-200mm 2.8 VRII, the 16-35mm 4.0 VR, the 18-200mm, the 18-70mm, the 200-400mm VR, the 105mm 2.0 DC (no visible distortion), and the 135mm 2.0 DC. The older 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 AF-D is also supported, as is the 12-24mm. It's a fairly long list, although solely Nikon ones - these were just some of the ones I could verify remotely in an easy fashion (I'm not where my images are located at the moment).

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Thu 17-Mar-11 01:37 AM
951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Distortion Control vs Auto Distortion"
In response to Reply # 13

Gainesville, US

Interesting info on the 105mm Micro, Rick. I looked at a close-up and a distant image taken with it and did not notice any change in either when I invoked Auto Distortion. Sort of supports my contention that it may well be my sharpest lens. In addition to general usefulness, I think it's a great portrait lens; it would be fun to compare it to the 105 DC to see if I could tell a difference. I'm sure that a professional lens test would show a difference, but I suspect that I wouldn't be able to see it... and yes I can see (barely) a difference between the 105 Micro and any of my other lenses at portrait distances.

Rob Puller
My Nikonians gallery

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Thu 17-Mar-11 02:44 AM
#15. "RE: Distortion Control vs Auto Distortion"
In response to Reply # 14
Thu 17-Mar-11 02:45 AM by walkerr

Colorado Springs, US

Both the 105mm 2.5 VR and 105mm 2.0 DC are great portrait lenses. The difference is slightly better bokeh on the DC lens (both are good, though) and the faster aperture (compared with macro and VR). The DC feature is not really useful for blurring backgrounds or foregrounds like it's advertised - the difference is trivial. It does make for a good soft focus lens when you exceed the normal DC setting, though. My wife likes it.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 20-Mar-11 01:56 AM
#16. "RE: Distortion Control vs Auto Distortion"
In response to Reply # 8

San Jose, US

I can no longer edit my message, so I am adding the following :

Works with Auto Distortion, though you won't see much change as the lens has inperceivable distortion - 85 mm f/1.4D IF AF lens.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 16-Mar-11 01:37 AM
#7. "RE: Distortion Control vs Auto Distortion"
In response to Reply # 2

San Jose, US

Yes I should have mentioned that. It is just like the Fisheye tool, which only shows up if a fisheye is mounted. I wish CNX2 had a setting for both these tools as it would be nice for them to come up already enabled, so you don't have to make an extra click.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

chevysales Registered since 08th Nov 2008Wed 16-Mar-11 09:41 PM
156 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Distortion Control vs Auto Distortion"
In response to Reply # 7

US

24-70 f2.8

Happy Nikon convert from Canon...
D700
24-70 f2.8
70-200vr f2.8

smarriott Registered since 07th Jan 2007Mon 21-Mar-11 03:16 PM
191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Distortion Control vs Auto Distortion"
In response to Reply # 12

Donisthorpe, GB

20mm f/2.8 AFD works

Regards,

Steve

My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #5767 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.