Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #5724
View in linear mode

Subject: "NX2 and Silver Efex Pro 2" Previous topic | Next topic
JGD Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Oct 2006Wed 09-Mar-11 01:24 PM
526 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NX2 and Silver Efex Pro 2"

Frederick, US

Last night I was playing with the newly released Lightroom/Photoshop "plugin" SEP2 and discovered (rediscovered?) that SEP2 works very well as a standalone program with NX2. Simply make the SEP2 application your "open-with" application, highlight the NEF/JPEG image of interest and "open-with". A Tiff image will be created (but not saved), SEP2 will then open up allowing B&W editing. When done, press "Save" and the Tiff file will be saved back into the directory from which it was pulled using the same file name but with the Tiff extension. It also appears that SEP2 indexes the Tiff file, if it has the same name, so it does not overwrite the original; you could easily have several B&W versions alongside one another.

I tried this with another popular image browser, FastStone's Image Viewer, and it worked with JPEGs, but not NEFs. However, it overwrote the original JPEG file without warning. So caution is warrented when trying this with other programs.

Maybe everyone already knows about this workflow between NX2 and SEP/SEP2, but I sure didn't (or maybe forgot ) - so I thought I would pass this along as SEP2 is really, really nice.

I'm running Windows 7 - 64 bit.

Jim

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: NX2 and Silver Efex Pro 2
gkaiseril Gold Member
09th Mar 2011
mklass Platinum Member
09th Mar 2011
JGD Silver Member
09th Mar 2011
davidd1833 Silver Member
10th Mar 2011
JGD Silver Member
10th Mar 2011
rbaskin Silver Member
14th Mar 2011
JGD Silver Member
10th Mar 2011
pwarbeck Silver Member
10th Mar 2011
walkerr Administrator
10th Mar 2011
pwarbeck Silver Member
10th Mar 2011
walkerr Administrator
11th Mar 2011
pwarbeck Silver Member
11th Mar 2011
JGD Silver Member
11th Mar 2011
pwarbeck Silver Member
11th Mar 2011
JGD Silver Member
11th Mar 2011
pwarbeck Silver Member
11th Mar 2011
pwarbeck Silver Member
13th Mar 2011
JGD Silver Member
13th Mar 2011
pwarbeck Silver Member
13th Mar 2011
JGD Silver Member
10th Mar 2011

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 09-Mar-11 02:47 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NX2 and Silver Efex Pro 2"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 09-Mar-11 02:55 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

I believe Rick Walker had a post in the HDR section, that this is also possible with HDR Efex Pro, although Nik does not mention this. His post may no longer exist, since it was made while HDR Efex Pro was in beta testing but he did not know if it would make it to the final product release.

I believe this maybe how the plug-in interface works across the Nik product line. And as you have noted, this is a step that needs to be done after all of the NEF editing as the changes made will not be reflected in NEF file but in the saved Tiff or Jpeg.

I am not sure, but Nikon Capture NX 2 may have the functionality of Silver Efex Pro 2 already incorporated within Capture NX 2. Note that some of the functionality of Nikon Capture NX 2 appears in the plug-ins, like the U Point technology.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 09-Mar-11 03:29 PM
5909 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: NX2 and Silver Efex Pro 2"
In response to Reply # 1

Tacoma, US

You can actually do this with almost all of the Nik Lightroom Plug-ins. Aside for HDR Efex Pro and Silver Efex Pro 2, I have also used this with Dfine and Sharpener Pro. I think all of these apps are more powerful than the built-in capabilities of CNX2, but what CNX2 natively does may be enough for you.

Unfortunately, CNX2 only lets you have 1 "Open with" app association at a time. I solve this by using Photo Mechanic to open the file after saving a TIFF from CSX2 with all of my initial edits. In Photo Mechanic, you can assign an app to edit specific file types, as well as have up to 10 user designated "Open with" appplications.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

JGD Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Oct 2006Wed 09-Mar-11 04:04 PM
526 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: NX2 and Silver Efex Pro 2"
In response to Reply # 2

Frederick, US

Mick (and George),
Thanks for filling me in on the other non-CEP3 Nik products and their interaction with NX2. Yes, I wish NX3(?) would have several "Open-with" options to choose from (FastStone does). Up til now, I have just been opening into other photoediting software like Photoshop or Lightroom, then opening the Nik plugin - a real roundabout work flow. I will explore all this tonight as I have the other Nik software as well. Gosh, I've been using NX since the beginning and I'm still learning! Once again, thanks.

Jim

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

davidd1833 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2006Thu 10-Mar-11 08:28 AM
426 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: NX2 and Silver Efex Pro 2"
In response to Reply # 3

Sydney, AU

<Yes, I wish NX3(?) would have several "Open-with" options to choose from (FastStone does).>

Hi, I have been looking at this same problem, and have just written a small program (using VB6) that gives you the ability to have up to 12 'Open with..' programs from NX2.

If anyone is interested in trying it out (it's free), just send me a PM and I will email it to you. No guarantees, but it works for me, I can have HDR Efex and Silver Efex and Dfine all usable from within NX2.

David

My Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JGD Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Oct 2006Thu 10-Mar-11 10:30 AM
#5. "RE: NX2 and Silver Efex Pro 2"
In response to Reply # 4

Frederick, US

Good morning David,
Many thanks for your generous offer! Please check your e-mail for a message from me.

Jim

rbaskin Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2007Mon 14-Mar-11 12:41 AM
338 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: NX2 and Silver Efex Pro 2"
In response to Reply # 4

Ridgefield, US

Nice little program - seems to work just fine for me.

Thanks Dave!

JGD Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Oct 2006Thu 10-Mar-11 10:46 AM
#7. "RE: NX2 and Silver Efex Pro 2"
In response to Reply # 2

Frederick, US

Mick,
Last night I got Photo Mechanic to create more "open-with" options. That took a while as I couldn't find the "custom" set options in the "Launch" preference panel at first. Seems to be a good workaround although I'm curious what "david1833" has come up with.

Jim

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Thu 10-Mar-11 04:18 PM
254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: NX2 and Silver Efex Pro 2"
In response to Reply # 2

Tucson AZ, US

I read somewhere in this forum that Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0 for Capture NX 2 (which is a true plugin for CNX2) contains all of the capabilities of Silver Efex Pro in its B/W Conversion filter. Do you know if this true?

Visit my gallery on 23hq

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Thu 10-Mar-11 08:21 PM
14550 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: NX2 and Silver Efex Pro 2"
In response to Reply # 8

Colorado Springs, US

No - definitely not.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Thu 10-Mar-11 11:50 PM
254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: NX2 and Silver Efex Pro 2"
In response to Reply # 9
Thu 10-Mar-11 11:52 PM by pwarbeck

Tucson AZ, US

I found the following in Nik Software\'s FAQ

Silver Efex Pro offers similar filter controls found in the Color Efex Pro 3.0 B/W Conversion filter, but utilizes new advanced algorithms for enhanced quality.... additional 18 emulated film types

It doesn't sound like there's such a big difference. So let me rephrase my question: Should someone who already owns CEP spend another $200 for "advanced algorithms" and 18 extra film types? CEP already has 33 film types. I suppose the answer depends on the level of the photographer. For the typical enthusiast / advanced amateur, I imagine CEP B/W conversion will be good enough.

Visit my gallery on 23hq

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Fri 11-Mar-11 12:45 AM
14550 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: NX2 and Silver Efex Pro 2"
In response to Reply # 10

Colorado Springs, US

It depends on what you want. The things I find most useful in Silver Efex Pro 2 are the expanded controls for handling brightness, contrast and structure by tonal region, the new fine structure slider, and the ability to group control points together. The creative borders can be good for certain images, too. I don't put a lot of value on film emulation, but others might like the new ones. While CEP has film emulations, none of them are black and white - only color. Finally, selective color has been added. Those are above and beyond the features in the original Silver Efex Pro, which already had features not present in CEP. Someone who enjoys black and white a lot will likely appreciate the new features. Someone who doesn't probably won't.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Fri 11-Mar-11 01:46 AM
#12. "RE: NX2 and Silver Efex Pro 2"
In response to Reply # 11

Tucson AZ, US

Thanks for a good explanation of the differences.

Visit my gallery on 23hq

JGD Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Oct 2006Fri 11-Mar-11 02:33 AM
#13. "RE: NX2 and Silver Efex Pro 2"
In response to Reply # 10
Fri 11-Mar-11 02:35 AM by JGD

Frederick, US

John,
If you are curious about SEP2, why not download a demo and try it out? Frankly, I think Nik has significantly upgraded the flexibility of the brightness, contrast, and structure sliders by allowing the highlights, midtones, and shadows to be adjusted individually. In addition, they have added what Nik calls dynamic brightness, soft contrast, and fine structure controls that are not just window dressing. While the fine structure control is very subtle, the dynamic brightness and soft contrast controls are major enhancements. With a few exceptions though, the remaining controls don't differ much from SEP, although the U-point control points have added a slider to selectively allow color to show through onto your B&W image, a histogram has been added to the zone system, along with some vignette presets. Although I have SEP and CEP3, I mainly use either NX2 (alone) or LR3 for B&W conversions and was happy with the results. Based on the improvements in SEP2, I plan to use it a LOT more. I like B&W and find SEP2 worthwhile, but your requirements may differ. Give SEP2 a try.

Jim

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Fri 11-Mar-11 04:16 AM
#14. "RE: NX2 and Silver Efex Pro 2"
In response to Reply # 13

Tucson AZ, US

Jim,
SEP2 sounds very powerful. I haven't done much B&W. I'll spend more time with the CEP B&W filter. Then I'll download a SEP2 trial, and hopefully be able to appreciate the advantages you mention. Thanks for the information!
John

Visit my gallery on 23hq

JGD Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Oct 2006Fri 11-Mar-11 11:04 AM
#15. "RE: NX2 and Silver Efex Pro 2"
In response to Reply # 14

Frederick, US

John,
Your approach sounds very reasonable. NX2 is capable of very nice B&W conversions and fine tuning. I actually haven't used CEP's B&W filter much, so I can't comment. To take full advantage of NX2 (and CEP3) for B&W conversion, Jason Odell's new ebook on B&W using NX2 (and CEP3) is well worthwhile. The most important thing I took away from his ebook is the importance of the order of the editing steps in NX2 to get the most editing flexibility with your color image. The ebook also comes with a whole bunch of nice B&W presets. At $20 (USD), it is a steal. Here is the link:

http://www.luminescentphoto.com/webstore/index.html

Good luck and have fun!

Jim

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Fri 11-Mar-11 01:59 PM
#16. "RE: NX2 and Silver Efex Pro 2"
In response to Reply # 15
Fri 11-Mar-11 02:33 PM by pwarbeck

Tucson AZ, US

Jim,
I have purchased several of Jason's pdf's, but hadn't noticed this one. I just bought it! Thanks for the pointer.

Visit my gallery on 23hq

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Sun 13-Mar-11 04:20 PM
#17. "RE: NX2 and Silver Efex Pro 2"
In response to Reply # 16

Tucson AZ, US

I read Jason's book (booklet? it's only 60 pages). I highly recommend it! I now understand that NX2's Black and white conversion filter is nearly identical to the CEP B/W Conversion filter; to get results comparable to Silver Efex Pro, you must use a B&W filter in conjunction with other filters, so it takes multiple adjustment steps. The ordering of these adjustment steps is critical, so it takes more planning and effort. For example, the image below required six steps for the B&W conversion.

Visit my gallery on 23hq

JGD Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Oct 2006Sun 13-Mar-11 05:44 PM
#18. "RE: NX2 and Silver Efex Pro 2"
In response to Reply # 17

Frederick, US

John,
Nice shot. If you haven't already, install the presets that came with the ebook. I use the NX2 "basic" one often and it saves much time as it loads four editing steps all at once and in the correct order. Then tweak each to taste. Follow those with a vignetting preset and again adjust to taste. Jason also includes presets using the CEP3 B&W conversion filters as well, so it is interesting to compare the two approaches.

Jim

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Sun 13-Mar-11 05:56 PM
#19. "RE: NX2 and Silver Efex Pro 2"
In response to Reply # 18

Tucson AZ, US

Jim,
I used BW_BASIC_CEP3_TC for this one, and I will definitely experiment with the others.

Visit my gallery on 23hq

JGD Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Oct 2006Thu 10-Mar-11 10:42 AM
#6. "RE: NX2 and Silver Efex Pro 2"
In response to Reply # 1

Frederick, US

George,
Last night I found a Jason/Rick podcast where they briefly discuss this NX2/SEP2 workflow in the context of the then upcoming SEP2. While many things remain basically the same in SEP2 (U-point technology for one), there are some real improvements/additions to the B&W adjustments that can be made. SEP2 is well worth the cost of the upgrade IMHO if one is doing B&W.

Jim

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #5724 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.