nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
JGD

Frederick, US
526 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
JGD Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Oct 2006
Wed 09-Mar-11 01:24 PM

Last night I was playing with the newly released Lightroom/Photoshop "plugin" SEP2 and discovered (rediscovered?) that SEP2 works very well as a standalone program with NX2. Simply make the SEP2 application your "open-with" application, highlight the NEF/JPEG image of interest and "open-with". A Tiff image will be created (but not saved), SEP2 will then open up allowing B&W editing. When done, press "Save" and the Tiff file will be saved back into the directory from which it was pulled using the same file name but with the Tiff extension. It also appears that SEP2 indexes the Tiff file, if it has the same name, so it does not overwrite the original; you could easily have several B&W versions alongside one another.

I tried this with another popular image browser, FastStone's Image Viewer, and it worked with JPEGs, but not NEFs. However, it overwrote the original JPEG file without warning. So caution is warrented when trying this with other programs.

Maybe everyone already knows about this workflow between NX2 and SEP/SEP2, but I sure didn't (or maybe forgot ) - so I thought I would pass this along as SEP2 is really, really nice.

I'm running Windows 7 - 64 bit.

Jim

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: NX2 and Silver Efex Pro 2

G