Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #5629
View in linear mode

Subject: "ViewNX2+CaptureNX2 vs Aperture 3 vs Lightroom 3" Previous topic | Next topic
z06kenny Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Jan 2010Sat 26-Feb-11 01:57 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"ViewNX2+CaptureNX2 vs Aperture 3 vs Lightroom 3"

Sacramento, US

Is it fair to say that all of these systems do a good job of processing and producing sharp photos starting with RAW photos from my D7000?
I have all three and my objective is to use only one of them, and use CS 5 only on the occasional photo as needed. I am finding the learning curves to be challenging. I have had Lightroom for about a year and am most familiar with it, but the RAW processing power of the NX2 and the simpler design of Aperture have me wondering if Lightroom is the best choice.

Thank you, Nikonians!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Sat 26-Feb-11 04:13 PM
1027 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: ViewNX2+CaptureNX2 vs Aperture 3 vs Lightroom 3"
In response to Reply # 0

Swisher, US

>Is it fair to say that all of these systems do a good job of
>processing and producing sharp photos starting with RAW
>photos from my D7000?

I believe so. Imagine going to a gallery today and viewing professional prints - all of which could have been made from any of these tools, with no one really being able to tell which tool was used to process the image.

I think the industry is at 'reasonable equivalence' regarding quality, and we are left to choose the tools that best fit our individual workflow and feature-set desires.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 27-Feb-11 01:14 AM
12572 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: ViewNX2+CaptureNX2 vs Aperture 3 vs Lightroom 3"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

I think in the end they answer is they all do a good job, but require different levels of skill, time and dollars to get there. Adobe is the industry standard and has been for well over 20 years, but if you want a starting point that makes use of all the built in features that your Nikon has and you want that image to look like what you saw on the camera monitor than only CNX2 is going to do that. If you have a need for speed and do large batch work, than LR or Photohop may be more for you. Or you may do like many of us do, use CNX2 for all RAW processing and use Photoshop as necessary thereafter if at all.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

z06kenny Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Jan 2010Sat 05-Mar-11 10:54 AM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: ViewNX2+CaptureNX2 vs Aperture 3 vs Lightroom 3"
In response to Reply # 2

Sacramento, US

Thank you for your thoughtful answers.
I think that I will try Capture NX2 next. One feature of Aperture that I don't care for is that they handle photo files like iPhoto, ie you don't simply have a file folder arrangement in my MAC's Finder, you have your photos in the Aperture (and/or iPhoto) libraries. I am old and find it hard to accept that my files are in a library and not in a normal folder/file system in Finder. Maybe my discomfort arises from the fact that I don't understand the beauty of that system?

Thank you, Nikonians!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #5629 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.