Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #5608
View in linear mode

Subject: "View NX2 Folders pane sometimes freezes" Previous topic | Next topic
pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Sat 26-Feb-11 12:06 AM
254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"View NX2 Folders pane sometimes freezes"
Sat 26-Feb-11 04:29 AM by pwarbeck

Tucson AZ, US

I'm using View NX2 2.0.3 on 64 bit Windows Home Premium. I had never used the labeling or rating system before today. Today I decided to start a big project: going through all my photos and assigning labels to them. I ran into a problem that is making this project harder than I expected.

Here's how I'm working. Say I have 999 folders numbered 001 to 999. I want to work my way backward, starting at folder 999, so I launch VNX2 and click folder 999 in the Folders pane. Thumbnails appear in the Edit pane. I assign some labels using the row of colored numbers at the bottom left side of the window. I go back to the folders pane and click folder 998, assign some more labels, and so-on. Here's the problem: sometimes -- but not always -- the folder pane freezes and I can't select another folder. I have to kill VNX2 and restart it. I haven't been able to figure out what I'm doing to make it freeze (or what I'm not doing to make it not freeze). This is not an occasional problem. It happens quite often.

Is this a known problem? If so, is there a known solution?

EDIT: after using VNX2 for another hour (and having to kill it about 100 times), I realize that the Folders pane freezes in other scenarios which do not involve labels. Either I'm doing something really wrong here, or this is one buggy piece of software! FYI I use NX2 and Nik filters and rarely do those programs hang, so it's probably not a problem with my OS, video driver, etc. Could it be one of the VNX2 options? I think they are all set to the defaults.

Visit my gallery on 23hq

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: View NX2 Folders pane sometimes freezes
cliddell Silver Member
26th Feb 2011
pwarbeck Silver Member
26th Feb 2011
cliddell Silver Member
28th Feb 2011
robsb Platinum Member
01st Mar 2011
pwarbeck Silver Member
01st Mar 2011
robsb Platinum Member
01st Mar 2011
dickiederson
28th Sep 2011
PeteHerman
28th Sep 2011

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Sat 26-Feb-11 12:51 PM
999 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: View NX2 Folders pane sometimes freezes"
In response to Reply # 0

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Depending on how many images you have in each folder it could take a definite time to "write" the rating(s). I don't have the time per image but I have been surprised at the time it takes "in the background" to complete when there are only a couple of hundred images selected.

If you are not checking the little progress bar at the bottom-right of the thumbnail page and waiting for it to show complete then this may be the apparent "freeze" you are perceiving.

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Sat 26-Feb-11 03:59 PM
254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: View NX2 Folders pane sometimes freezes"
In response to Reply # 1

Tucson AZ, US

I don't see a progress bar in the lower right, just a box that says "no queued processes,", and it never changes.

In VNX2 General options, I checked "beep when process is complete." I repeated my workflow, being careful to wait for the beep. When you edit an image, you don't get the beep until you either (1) select another image or (2) select another folder. In other words, VNX2 doesn't do the update until it knows you're finished with an image. However even waiting for the beep, I still get freezes about half the time.

I said I had not experienced this with other Nikon software. Now I remember that NX2 used to hang after a save If I tried to edit another image too quickly.

I think it's something else, perhaps in addition to timing.

Visit my gallery on 23hq

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Mon 28-Feb-11 06:16 PM
999 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: View NX2 Folders pane sometimes freezes"
In response to Reply # 2

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Yes, I was referring to when I want to place (or remove) a colour or star rating to a batch of images. Select the relevant images -> choose rating (or none) -> click "save". This results in quite a delay, of course, depending on the number of images selected.

Not sure in your case, as you say it could be some other reason...

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 01-Mar-11 12:50 AM
12835 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: View NX2 Folders pane sometimes freezes"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

How much memory do you have installed? If its less than 8 GB, I'd look there first.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Tue 01-Mar-11 01:29 AM
#5. "RE: View NX2 Folders pane sometimes freezes"
In response to Reply # 4

Tucson AZ, US

I have 4GB RAM. I should probably add more, but I wonder if it would help with this problem. View NX2 is a 32 bit program, which (as I understand it) can normally only access 2GB of memory.

Visit my gallery on 23hq

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 01-Mar-11 04:56 AM
12835 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: View NX2 Folders pane sometimes freezes"
In response to Reply # 5

San Jose, US

32 bit programs can acess 3.5 gb of RAM, but the whow idea of having more RAM is your operationg system won't hog any of that space as it will be allocated to running the program, and the OS will use the rest of your RAM. In Win 7 you can assign programs to run in their own space. Going from 4 to 8 will give you a big boost in performance, trust me you will be amazed.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

dickiederson Registered since 09th May 2009Wed 28-Sep-11 03:36 PM
120 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: View NX2 Folders pane sometimes freezes"
In response to Reply # 6

San Francisco, US

I'm having the same issue...REALLY annoying!!
I've un' and re' installed it twice now...
Did anyone come up with a solution? I'm also on Win 7 x64, maybe that's it. I've also got 4gb of RAM but I'd have thought that would be more than enough to open a poxy folder...Lightroom never seems to get it's knickers in such a twist...if only it would read all the Picture Control info like ViewNX2 does!!

www.shootingheadz.com

PeteHerman Registered since 25th Sep 2011Wed 28-Sep-11 09:13 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: View NX2 Folders pane sometimes freezes"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Not sure precisely why you are experiencing problems.
I also have View NX2 and have attached metadata w/o problems other than incredibly slow write speeds. It's not your computer.

How many images are you tagging? If quite a few, just try one and see what happens. If it hangs up on just one, you have some sort of compatibility issue obviously.

That being said; I would completely avoid View NX2 or Capture NX for any sort of metadata tagging for a few reasons.

1) Very slow
2) Incomplete access to all possible meta tags.

Photo Mechanic has been my (tagger) of choice since it has the ability to tag during ingestion and is lightning fast.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #5608 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.