Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #560
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon Capture NX 2.2.4 Is Now Available (Windows Only)" Previous topic | Next topic
Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Wed 16-Dec-09 06:02 PM
2035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon Capture NX 2.2.4 Is Now Available (Windows Only)"
Wed 16-Dec-09 06:03 PM by Ramesses

US

Hi:

It seems that Capture NX 2.2.3 had a lot of problems. You can get the update here:

http://support.nikontech.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16648/session/L3NpZC9WRHlpQUFQag%3D%3D/sort/4%2C2/r_id/116678/sno/1

I just installed version 2.2.4 (Windows Only) and seems to be running fine. One thing caught my attention. The download file name had "32-bit" as part of its name. Does this mean that there is a 64-bit in the works? I have no idea.

Best regards,

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

My Blog: Hektors Blog
My Photo Album: Hektors Photos

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon Capture NX 2.2.4 Is Now Available (Windows On...
DrJay32 Gold Member
16th Dec 2009
Ramesses
16th Dec 2009
saperia
17th Dec 2009
Ramesses
17th Dec 2009
saperia
17th Dec 2009
Ramesses
18th Dec 2009
saperia
18th Dec 2009
swyost Silver Member
16th Dec 2009
Ramesses
16th Dec 2009
Ramesses
16th Dec 2009
gkaiseril Gold Member
17th Dec 2009
Ramesses
17th Dec 2009
gkaiseril Gold Member
17th Dec 2009
Ramesses
17th Dec 2009
BillCoughlin
17th Dec 2009
robsb Platinum Member
17th Dec 2009
Ramesses
17th Dec 2009
mklass Platinum Member
17th Dec 2009
saperia
18th Dec 2009
glxman Silver Member
18th Dec 2009
nosingchum Silver Member
18th Dec 2009

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003Wed 16-Dec-09 06:14 PM
3327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon Capture NX 2.2.4 Is Now Available (Windows Only)"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

2.2.3 was only intended to offer support for the new D3s NEFs.
2.2.4 offers bug fixes and is "officially" supported under Windows 7.

There will be a Mac version of 2.2.4 from what I hear, and it will support Snow Leopard officially.

-Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian
Author, The Photographer's Guide series of eBooks
Capture NX, Capture NX 2, and now Nik Silver Efex Pro

www.luminescentphoto.com

Read my blog

Listen to The Image Doctors

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Wed 16-Dec-09 06:20 PM
2035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon Capture NX 2.2.4 Is Now Available (Windows Only)"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Hi Jason:

Thanks for the explanation. I'm just wondering why the "32-bit" in the file name? I do not think it had it in previous updates, but I change the file name. Therefore, I'm not sure.

Thanks,

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

saperia Registered since 07th Dec 2009Thu 17-Dec-09 11:00 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Nikon Capture NX 2.2.4 Is Now Available (Windows Only)"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks this is helpful. Any sense at all when the Snow Leopard version will be available? I think I read somewhere perhaps the end of this year, is that too optimistic?

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Thu 17-Dec-09 11:16 PM
#15. "RE: Nikon Capture NX 2.2.4 Is Now Available (Windows Only)"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Hi Jon:

This is the schedule that Nikon published regarding "Snow Leopard:"

http://support.nikontech.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14421

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

saperia Registered since 07th Dec 2009Thu 17-Dec-09 11:23 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Nikon Capture NX 2.2.4 Is Now Available (Windows Only)"
In response to Reply # 15

US

Thanks very much. Last time I checked with Nikon (about a month ago), they would not even give a data for a date. Given all I have read in this thread, my guess is that it will run on Snow Leopard but it surely will not be a native 64-bit rewrite. I can survive until January.

As much as I have come to really like NX2, I would have abandoned it as a result of the poor/untimely Snow Leopard support, but for the fact I do not like how the Adobe raw converter works on NEFs.

Thanks again.

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Fri 18-Dec-09 12:57 AM
#17. "RE: Nikon Capture NX 2.2.4 Is Now Available (Windows Only)"
In response to Reply # 16

US

Hi Jon:

You're welcome. When you are referring to ACR is it in LR or Photoshop? You can download the Camera Beta Profiles from Adobe Labs. I cannot longer see the difference between LR and NX converting NEF files anymore, since ACR 5.5.

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

saperia Registered since 07th Dec 2009Fri 18-Dec-09 01:55 AM
#19. "RE: Nikon Capture NX 2.2.4 Is Now Available (Windows Only)"
In response to Reply # 17

US

To the best of what I know (and the last time I checked earlier this year), the raw converter produced similar results from both LR and Photoshop. This was the case even after downloading the beta profiles for my camera. Sometimes the color shift was something I could almost not detect, in other cases it was significant. I want to see as close as I can what I shot.

There are several other reasons I like NX2 now that I have used it for a while, but that was the primary driver - of course there are the other irritations like incredibly slow performance when compared to Photoshop or LR on the same computer.

I do appreciate the pointer though.\\/jon

swyost Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Aug 2007Wed 16-Dec-09 06:58 PM
693 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon Capture NX 2.2.4 Is Now Available (Windows Only)"
In response to Reply # 0

US

As per the release notes, this is the version that provides compatibility with the 64 bit versions of Windows 7 and Vista. FWIW, lots of companies now include either 32 bit or x86 in installer names regardless of whether they offer a 64 bit version of the app or not.

It is very unlikely that there will ever be a native 64 bit version of NX2. The reality is that a 64 bit app represents a major code re-write - I have never seen a situation where is was not considered a version upgrade. A NX3 product would be the most logical point for a 64 bit release but I wouldn't be surprised if that too is a 32 bit app with 64 bit compatibility.....

Stephen

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Wed 16-Dec-09 07:46 PM
#4. "RE: Nikon Capture NX 2.2.4 Is Now Available (Windows Only)"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed 16-Dec-09 07:47 PM by Ramesses

US

Hi Stephen:

Thanks for your response. I was surprised because I have not seen that qualifier before.

I agree that it is highly unlikely that NX 2 will have both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. However, I do not think they have a choice with NX3, if they want to remain competitive. LR and CS4 have both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Nik Viveza 2 comes with 32-bit and 64 bit, which installs automatically depending on the version you have. It installed twice with CS4, because Photoshop automatically installs both versions - many of their plug-ins only run in 32-bit. Viveza is the shell that Capture NX is built on.

Best regards,

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Wed 16-Dec-09 08:10 PM
#5. "RE: Nikon Capture NX 2.2.4 Is Now Available (Windows Only)"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Stephen:

I have a question for you, since you seem to know. I have never programmed for PCs, just for IBM Mainframes, in my previous life. Is there any way of preventing programmers, in any software company, from downloading the source code for a software, like LR for example, into an SD card or portable media? I always wondered about that possibility.

Thanks,

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 17-Dec-09 01:35 AM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon Capture NX 2.2.4 Is Now Available (Windows Only)"
In response to Reply # 5
Thu 17-Dec-09 01:38 AM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

The source code is in a text file just like on a main frame, at least if you moved from Hollerith cards to disk and there is very little preventing someone from placing the source code on any type of media and walking out the door or emailing it somewhere. Although from the size of executable, I expect the source code is pretty voluminous, so it could take more than one SD card. What stopped your fellow programmers from taking copies of your employers code out on a reel of tape or a roll of paper tape?

I believe Phil Zimmerman has a U.S. Supreme Court case involving carrying print outs of his encryption source code across an international border. The court found the Munitions Export restriction applied to executable code and not the plain text of the source code.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Thu 17-Dec-09 02:50 AM
#8. "RE: Nikon Capture NX 2.2.4 Is Now Available (Windows Only)"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Hi George:

Thanks for your response. To answer your question, I wrote a lot of programs, but also maintained a living system by making modifications to existing programs. All of the programs were valuable to the organization I worked for, but with little value elsewhere. A lot of the programs were monstrosities of tens of thousands of lines, written for the IBM 1401, unstructured, undocumented, and go-to galore. By the tenth got-to, you had no idea what the program was really doing. Who would want them? I worked for a Public Utility Company and not NASA

There is a reason I asked that question. The explanation often given why Nikon Capture NX, for example, does not convert to DNG format, is because people will get to know the ins-and-outs of their algorithms and somehow end up in Canon's hands. I never understood that argument. If Canon really wanted to get the code for the software or firmware, they can always pay off someone, if there is no way of preventing downloading the source code into a portable media - 8 GB SD cards can hold a lot of code and fits in a small pocket of a wallet. Industrial espionage is a very old "trade."

Best regards,

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 17-Dec-09 06:34 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Nikon Capture NX 2.2.4 Is Now Available (Windows Only)"
In response to Reply # 8
Thu 17-Dec-09 06:46 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Adobe has made the DNG format public and provides a free converter. This is not an international standard and it not been fully accepted by many manufacturers, but some camera manufacturers do provide this in camera. This leaves one to wonder what would happen if Adobe drops this format. Since the DNG format is not an open international standard Adobe is in complete control of the format. This is not an Open RAW format but Adobe's attempt to set the standard for archiving images. I do not think there is a lot of value for Nikon or Canon to spend time on this as most users are happy with the Jpeg format and professionals are happy with Tiff format.

If I were interested in getting code from an employer, I would be looking at system level utilities, since these would be less client specific. Adobe probably controls their source code and only assigns certain functions of the software to certain employees so very few employees have access to the whole set of code. Also the employment contracts that cover these employees may not only cover the copyright rights but also trade secrets. The Coca Cola formula is covered by trade secrets and not a copyright or patent for several reasons not the least of which is the unlimited life of trade secrets.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Thu 17-Dec-09 07:08 PM
#13. "RE: Nikon Capture NX 2.2.4 Is Now Available (Windows Only)"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Hi George:

There has to be some security, otherwise it is crazy. I do not agree regarding DNG. IMHO, I do not think that it will go away, but just the opposite. NX2 sent me around in circles and have both NX and LR. Regardless, I fully converted to LR and bring in the photos in DNG format. I send them over to CS4 (which I got ~ a month ago,) in PSD format - very happy with my present workflow. I will upgrade to LR3, but seriously doubt NX3. However, Nikon might surprise me. Therefore, you can never say never.

Best regards,

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

BillCoughlin Registered since 12th Nov 2008Thu 17-Dec-09 12:24 AM
188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon Capture NX 2.2.4 Is Now Available (Windows Only)"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 17-Dec-09 12:55 AM by BillCoughlin

Leesport, US

** Update ** I downloaded and installed 2.2.4 and everything seems fine so far. Initial image load seems much quicker. ..... I"m leaving original message below in case somebody else has similar situation:

I'm running version 2.2.0 under Windows 7 32 bit. When I click 'check for updates' it says no updates available. Is this version 2.2.4 the one I should have despite the system saying no update is available?
Regards,
Bill

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ... Dr Seuss

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 17-Dec-09 03:48 AM
12854 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: Nikon Capture NX 2.2.4 Is Now Available (Windows Only)"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Thanks Hector

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Thu 17-Dec-09 04:22 AM
#10. "RE: Nikon Capture NX 2.2.4 Is Now Available (Windows Only)"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Hi Bob:

Glad to do it.

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 17-Dec-09 04:53 AM
6011 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon Capture NX 2.2.4 Is Now Available (Windows Only)"
In response to Reply # 10

Tacoma, US

This seems to run much faster than the previous version in 64 bit Vista on a AMD Quad Core with 8GB RAM. Still a few display quirks when switching to another window while NX is loading or saving, and I wish they would let you change printers and settings before hitting the Print button in the Preview window, rather than after.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

saperia Registered since 07th Dec 2009Fri 18-Dec-09 11:06 PM
#21. "RE: Nikon Capture NX 2.2.4 Is Now Available (Windows Only)"
In response to Reply # 11

US

A couple of people have noted 2.2.4 improve performance on Windows especially for file read/write. As people gain experience, I would be interested to know about any other performance improvements. Most aspects of earlier versions (at least on the Mac) were slow in almost every area, for example changing color temperature, and occasionally using the brush for masking.

/jon

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Fri 18-Dec-09 01:46 AM
2996 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Nikon Capture NX 2.2.4 Is Now Available (Windows Only)"
In response to Reply # 0

South Australia, AU

Thank you Hector,

Much appreciated,
Regards,
Gary

nosingchum Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Oct 2005Fri 18-Dec-09 03:17 AM
405 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Nikon Capture NX 2.2.4 Is Now Available (Windows Only)"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, CA

I installed it on 64-bit Vista and it works great. In fact, it seems a lot faster now opening NEFs.

Simon

A Richmond, B.C. Nikonian
- FM2n, F100, D300, D800

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #560 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.