Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #5545
View in linear mode

Subject: "Orange Kodak negative scan : adjust in NX2." Previous topic | Next topic
ripvisitor Registered since 09th Feb 2011Mon 21-Feb-11 05:22 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Orange Kodak negative scan : adjust in NX2."

Zwalm, BE

I tried to scan some old negatives Kodak type 126 orange color.
Problem the scans remain orange.
How can i compensate or reset ? I use Capture NX2.

Greetz. Thxs

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Orange Kodak negative scan : adjust in NX2.
nwcs Silver Member
21st Feb 2011
ripvisitor
21st Feb 2011
nwcs Silver Member
22nd Feb 2011
ripvisitor
22nd Feb 2011
robsb Platinum Member
21st Feb 2011
ripvisitor
22nd Feb 2011
robsb Platinum Member
23rd Feb 2011
mholka
23rd Feb 2011
ripvisitor
23rd Feb 2011
Freewheeler10
22nd Feb 2011
JonK Moderator
22nd Feb 2011
ripvisitor
23rd Feb 2011
pwarbeck Silver Member
24th Feb 2011
robsb Platinum Member
24th Feb 2011

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Mon 21-Feb-11 05:26 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Orange Kodak negative scan : adjust in NX2."
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

It's a real pain to manually remove the orange cast from a negative. It's much easier to take care of it at the scanning time. Take a look at something like VueScan. I've had good results using it with my old negatives.

ripvisitor Registered since 09th Feb 2011Mon 21-Feb-11 05:48 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Orange Kodak negative scan : adjust in NX2."
In response to Reply # 1

Zwalm, BE

Hi

Tried it this afternoon. Does not seem to work with my scanner.
So i am back to scanning with scanwizard.

Thxs

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 22-Feb-11 03:23 AM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Orange Kodak negative scan : adjust in NX2."
In response to Reply # 2

Knoxville, US

If you downloaded the 64 bit one try the 32 bit one, too. Some drivers for scanners only work in 32 bit mode.

ripvisitor Registered since 09th Feb 2011Tue 22-Feb-11 11:22 AM
#5. "RE: Orange Kodak negative scan : adjust in NX2."
In response to Reply # 4

Zwalm, BE

I installed the 32bit one.
sorry

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 21-Feb-11 06:45 PM
12838 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Orange Kodak negative scan : adjust in NX2."
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

While this is best done with proper scan Sw that compensates for this. Try using LCH and notch out the orange range and see if that helps.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

ripvisitor Registered since 09th Feb 2011Tue 22-Feb-11 11:23 AM
#6. "RE: Orange Kodak negative scan : adjust in NX2."
In response to Reply # 3

Zwalm, BE

I choose LCD and could change the HUE bij dragging the pointer downwards. The image is a bit les orange, it s more brown.

But how to get rid of orange color ?

regards

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 23-Feb-11 12:19 AM
12838 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: Orange Kodak negative scan : adjust in NX2."
In response to Reply # 6

San Jose, US

Have you looked at SilverFast for your scanner? SilverFast has the drivers to auto correct for many different types of film and positive images and will remove the orange cast. Also if you know someone with Photoshop, move the image to Photoshop, make a new layer, use the average filter and then invert it and that will also remove the orange cast. IN CNX2 I was suggesting that you adjust the Chroma Channel and notch out the Orange. You will also want to use the Opacity Mixer when you play with color correction. For example you could apply changes only to the RED channel where most of the Orange would lie, or you could use the the Opacity of the Luminence channel turned down so only color is effected. Like I said, this is all so much easier in SilverFast.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

mholka Registered since 04th Jan 2011Wed 23-Feb-11 03:51 AM
410 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Orange Kodak negative scan : adjust in NX2."
In response to Reply # 9

Brownstown Twp, US

I have no idea but wonder if the OP is getting a positive image with an orange cast or is it still a negative image with an orange cast?

Does the software your using try and convert it to a positive?

Just wondering.

Shoot, shoot and shoot some more!

--Martin
www.ExclusivePhotoWorks.com
Nikon Body's
D800e, D300s, D7000, D90, D80, F100

Lenses:
18 - 200 F3.5-5.6 VRII, 70-200 F2.8 VR II,
18 - 105 F3.5-5.6 VR, 18 - 135 F3.5-5.6,
35 - 70 F2.8, 50 F1.4, 70 - 300 F4-4.5,
Sigma 150-500 F5-6.3

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ripvisitor Registered since 09th Feb 2011Wed 23-Feb-11 11:06 AM
#11. "RE: Orange Kodak negative scan : adjust in NX2."
In response to Reply # 10
Wed 23-Feb-11 11:25 AM by ripvisitor

Zwalm, BE

Hi

Well it is an negative, converted into a positive by the software. The sofwtare is Scanwizard V 7.31 for Microtec scanners. The scanner is a Medion ; but is in effect a MUSTEK 4800H.
The software works ok, with photo's, but with neg's .. this is the only but constant problem i face so far.
I have checked with Silverfast but they do not cover the MUSTEK 4800.

Regards

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Tue 22-Feb-11 12:27 PM
1105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Orange Kodak negative scan : adjust in NX2."
In response to Reply # 0

Englewood, US

All the scanner software I have ever used in the past thirty years has features specifically
for scanning negatives. There's no adjustment, it's a negative to positive switch in the
software somewhere; you select a color negative as the source type and the scan software
automatically converts to positive.

___Gary

http://gallery.me.com/freewheeler
http://freewheeler10.blogspot.com/

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Tue 22-Feb-11 11:09 PM
4715 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Orange Kodak negative scan : adjust in NX2."
In response to Reply # 7

New York, US

As a prepress professional for 25 years, let me second Gary's comments with these adds: Most of the software apps do a less-than-perfect job killing the orange and flipping the image, and the chances of doing it by hand in any editing app are effectively nil.

Plan B: get the negs printed and scan the prints.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

ripvisitor Registered since 09th Feb 2011Wed 23-Feb-11 11:07 AM
#12. "RE: Orange Kodak negative scan : adjust in NX2."
In response to Reply # 8

Zwalm, BE

Well, i think i shall ask the photographer where I bought the camera to scan the neg's with a pro scanner .

THxs

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Thu 24-Feb-11 05:44 AM
254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Orange Kodak negative scan : adjust in NX2."
In response to Reply # 0

Tucson AZ, US

Assuming you are working with NEFs in NX2, you can do this using White Balance. Set the gray point using a marquee sample taken in the orange film strip (either between frames or in the sprocket area). If you are working with a negative, then invert the colors. You can do this by flipping the LCH graph from x = y to x + y = 255 (i.e., from a diagonal line running lower left to upper right to a diagonal line running from upper left to lower right).

At least this is how I have always done it.

Visit my gallery on 23hq

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 24-Feb-11 07:22 AM
#14. "RE: Orange Kodak negative scan : adjust in NX2."
In response to Reply # 13

San Jose, US

You are correct that is the way to invert negatives, but he is working with a positive image. It is still better to use scanner SW that corrects for film type-so much less hassel.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #5545 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.