nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #5404
View in linear mode

Subject: "ViewNX2" Previous topic | Next topic
Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sun 06-Feb-11 10:50 PM
984 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"ViewNX2"

Joanna, US

I am having trouble with printed results and need some suggestions. Until recently, I have been able to have the print come out very close to what shows on my monitor and playback screen. Sometimes, I would not need any PP while other times only a few tweaks. Now the results are not anywhere close to the monitor.
I was shooting some action shots in RAW with AF-C. In the past I shot AF-S RAW and JPEG.
I printed one shot (on the browser monitor it was very good) but when printed (without any adjustments) it came out "brighter" if not somewhat overexposed. I adjusted the image some and it too was "brighter".
I have the color management in ViewNX2 set to RGB 1998 and "use instead of embedded profile", the printer on Adobe RGB 1998, and camera (7k) set on Adobe RGB. Thanks for any assistance and/or direction you can provide.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: ViewNX2
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
07th Feb 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
07th Feb 2011
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
07th Feb 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
07th Feb 2011
08th Feb 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
08th Feb 2011
09th Feb 2011
Robp Gold Member
09th Feb 2011
10th Feb 2011

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 07-Feb-11 01:05 AM
13476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: ViewNX2"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Is you monitor calibrated? Whether you pick AF-S or AF-C they will not have an impact on your image, but WB will.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Mon 07-Feb-11 02:09 AM
984 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: ViewNX2"
In response to Reply # 1

Joanna, US

Hello Bob,

Thanks for your follow-up. I've not used any calibration tools so I would believe it's not calibrated in that sense - just out of the box and set up. The subject on the monitor looks the same as when I took a picture yet the print doesn't. As mentioned, in the past I could more or less get a print that was very close to the monitor view. WB was set to Auto and have used that on the majority of shots. I have the updated version of CNX2.

John

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 07-Feb-11 07:40 AM
13476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: ViewNX2"
In response to Reply # 2

San Jose, US

To truly do what you are trying to do, your computer needs a calibrated profile for your monitor, and as a minimum a manufactures ICC profile for the printer and paper you are using.For each other item in your photo stream, like scanners, etc you likewise need ICC profiles. You don't say what kind of printer or monitor you have and that can also be an issue even if calibrated. first most commercial monitors will not show any more than an sRGB gamut, but don't let that discourage you from using ARGB in camera, for your monitor. It just means some of the colors on your screen and printer may not perfectly match, especially if the colors fall in the ARGB gamut and not the sRGB gamut, as they will be remapped. Some printers will also print a wider gamut than others. So sometimes you will get lucky and your print will look like the screen. But without calibration on a periodic basis you have no idea if your monitor is displaying colors as accurate as it can.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Mon 07-Feb-11 01:30 PM
#4. "RE: ViewNX2"
In response to Reply # 3

Joanna, US

What is and where do I find a manufactures ICC? Your recommendation for a calibration tool and how difficult is it to calibrate the monitor? As you can tell, I'm not very well versed in all the technical stuff; sorry about that.
My printer is an HP 3210 all-in-one and my monitor is a standard Dell. The monitor's color quality is set "highest (32 bit)" with the screen resolution @ 1024x768 pixels. Can't find what the location of any color management it has.

John

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 08-Feb-11 07:45 AM
#5. "RE: ViewNX2"
In response to Reply # 4

San Jose, US

This link will give you a number of articles on ICC profiles and color management for windows.
http://www.bing.com/search?q=Location+of+ICC+profiles+in+Windows&go=&form=QBLH&qs=n&sk=

The good news is when you install windows it loads all of the ICC profiles it recognizes for attached hardware. So usually your printer and Scanner SW will also install the required profiles. When you open CNX2 preferences color Management, your printer should show up under the printer list and you just need to select it.

As for monitor calibration there are many good systems and they all vary somewhat in use. I use ColorMunki and you just plug it in do a few simple steps and it does a complete calibration of your monitor. It is also capable of calibrating your printer if you want to do custom printer profiles. There are many other good ones and a search of Nikonians will bring up many if you do a search of monitor calibration.

In general with the exception of the need to calibrate you monitor on a periodic basis, you should be fine with the company supplied profiles for your other equipment.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Tue 08-Feb-11 11:19 PM
#6. "RE: ViewNX2"
In response to Reply # 5
Wed 09-Feb-11 01:53 AM by Gamecocks

Joanna, US

Bob,

Thanks for taking the time to share your information and point me in a direction. One last thing - I found the ICC profiles and I have these showing: a folder named colors and when I open it there are many different files such as Adobe RGB 1998, etc. and there are two files with one being "color match RGB" and the other "sRGB color space profile". Is this one of the things you were talking about? Hope you have a great week.

John

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 09-Feb-11 03:54 AM
#7. "RE: ViewNX2"
In response to Reply # 6

San Jose, US

It looks like you opened the Work Space Profiles. They also show up in the preferences pull down of what you want your work space to use. You have already selected ARGB for your camera and CNX2 and that along with picking your printer profile will get you on the way. Also look at the Printer and Scanner forum. Some of it will be over your head, but you can get very direct answers to your questions on monitor calibration. Be sure to read your post processing manual it will include many good tips on how to get the best images. Once you get the basics down you can improve your output by "soft proofing" your image before you print. This allows you to put your final image on screen next to an image of what it would look like if the printer profile were applied, so you can make final adjustments just before output. The guys on the Printer Scanner forum can explain this to you in detail.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Wed 09-Feb-11 03:34 PM
951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: ViewNX2"
In response to Reply # 7

Gainesville, US

Bob,

I've been reading this thread and thought to myself that I'd never printed from VNX2 so I should just take a quick look at the process. I was surprised to find that the printing interface is different from CNX2.

I've been printing very nicely from CNX2 and CS5 and their predecessors for some time now and observe that they present very similar (almost identical) selection panels for the printer setup and the printer driver adjustments.

The printer driver panel presented by VNX2 is very abbreviated and does not offer the advanced setting selections that CNX2 and CS5 offer. This doesn't seem reasonable to me and I wondered if my installation of VNX2 had fouled something up. Do you see a different printing interface between VNX2 and CNX2?

Rob Puller
My Nikonians gallery

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 10-Feb-11 05:03 AM
#9. "RE: ViewNX2"
In response to Reply # 8

San Jose, US

Rob it is a very spartan print interface, and I don't believe they ever intended it to be for serious printing. I don't print much and as a result have never tried printing from either ViewNX2 or CNX2 for that matter, as I have always printed from CS5 or earlier versions.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #5404 Previous topic | Next topic