Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #5147
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX not reading .NEF files " Previous topic | Next topic
nzyme Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2010Sun 23-Jan-11 09:16 PM
93 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture NX not reading .NEF files "

Te Anau, NZ

Hi All:

I have just started having an issue with the origianl CaptureNX. Since installing Lightroom 3.3 I can no longer use CaptureNX to edit Raw files. Has anyone seen this before? I can edit these same files in Lightroom. Thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX not reading .NEF files
nzyme Silver Member
23rd Jan 2011
Covey22 Moderator
24th Jan 2011
nzyme Silver Member
24th Jan 2011
          Reply message My Solution Capture NX not reading .NEF files
BillboTex
24th Jan 2011
               Reply message RE: My Solution Capture NX not reading .NEF files
nzyme Silver Member
24th Jan 2011
BillboTex
24th Jan 2011
ericbowles Moderator
24th Jan 2011
nzyme Silver Member
24th Jan 2011
robsb Platinum Member
24th Jan 2011
nzyme Silver Member
24th Jan 2011
Freewheeler10
25th Jan 2011
borgpj
02nd Mar 2011
ericbowles Moderator
24th Jan 2011

nzyme Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2010Sun 23-Jan-11 09:17 PM
93 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Capture NX not reading .NEF files "
In response to Reply # 0

Te Anau, NZ

And I have tried reinstalling CaptureNX with the latest update.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 24-Jan-11 12:18 PM
10630 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Capture NX not reading .NEF files "
In response to Reply # 1

US

Mac or PC?

Can you be more specific please about Capture NX not reading .NEF files? Have you tried manually opening a file once CNX is launched? What is the result or error message?

You may have lost the file association of .NEF to CNX when you installed LR3 - the association may have moved to LightRoom instead.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

nzyme Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2010Mon 24-Jan-11 06:48 PM
#6. "RE: Capture NX not reading .NEF files "
In response to Reply # 4

Te Anau, NZ

Hi Armando:

I am using a PC. When trying to open files, I get the same error as BillboTex... "Cannot load file J:\DCIM\100D7000\DSC_0017.nef"

Also ViewNX can read the files OK. I will check the file association and reconfirm CNX as the default.

Thanks

Paul

BillboTex Registered since 23rd Nov 2010Mon 24-Jan-11 07:07 PM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "My Solution Capture NX not reading .NEF files "
In response to Reply # 6

Houston, US

nzyme, I just solved my problem by updating my recently bought captureNX2 version 2.1.1 to version 2.2.6

The correction was painless and quick (no need to uninstall the older cNX2)!

MY SETUP
Nikon D7000 with zoomNIKKOR AF-S DX 10-24mm f3.5,
Tamron AF 18-270mm Macro f3.5 Di II VC LD
and Tamron AF 180mm f/3.5 Di SP A/M FEC LD (IF) 1:1 Macro
Nikon R1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System,
ZacutoEVF Pro
Two SanDisk 32GB EXTREME PRO SDHC-UHS-1 (45MB/S)
viewNX2 captureNX2 NIKCompleteCollection Ultimate
Photo Mechanic 4.6.6 Annotate Pro
Vegas Movio Studio 10 Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 14

nzyme Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2010Mon 24-Jan-11 07:19 PM
#9. "RE: My Solution Capture NX not reading .NEF files "
In response to Reply # 8

Te Anau, NZ

I did re-apply the most recent update for my version of CNX, but that did not fix the issue. I may have to upgrade to CNX2.

BillboTex Registered since 23rd Nov 2010Mon 24-Jan-11 07:26 PM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: My Solution Capture NX not reading .NEF files "
In response to Reply # 9

Houston, US

The only reason I had to upgrade to cNX2 ver 2.2.6 was specifically for D7000 NEFs which the upgreade stated was fixed in the newer version, and a couple other very minor corrections.

MY SETUP
Nikon D7000 with zoomNIKKOR AF-S DX 10-24mm f3.5,
Tamron AF 18-270mm Macro f3.5 Di II VC LD
and Tamron AF 180mm f/3.5 Di SP A/M FEC LD (IF) 1:1 Macro
Nikon R1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System,
ZacutoEVF Pro
Two SanDisk 32GB EXTREME PRO SDHC-UHS-1 (45MB/S)
viewNX2 captureNX2 NIKCompleteCollection Ultimate
Photo Mechanic 4.6.6 Annotate Pro
Vegas Movio Studio 10 Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 14

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 24-Jan-11 07:47 PM
8594 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: My Solution Capture NX not reading .NEF files "
In response to Reply # 9
Mon 24-Jan-11 07:49 PM by ericbowles

Atlanta, US

Older versions such as Capture NX do not support current cameras. You'll likely need to upgrade to Capture NX2 version 2.2.6.

Capture NX (not NX2) will not support the D300s or D7000.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

nzyme Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2010Mon 24-Jan-11 08:29 PM
#12. "RE: My Solution Capture NX not reading .NEF files "
In response to Reply # 11

Te Anau, NZ

Hi Eric:

That would explain a few things. I upgraded from D200 about a year ago and have not used CNX for RAW files since then. I wrongly assumed that the installation of LR3 may have contributed to my problem.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Cheers

Paul

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 24-Jan-11 06:36 AM
12742 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Capture NX not reading .NEF files "
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

First to clarify are you using CNX or CNX2? What camera are you using? Are you trying to open NEFs edited in LR3 in CNX or CNX2? If you are not using CNX2 2.2.6 upgrade. I don't use LR but have CS5 Extended and have no problems with NEFs in CNX2.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

nzyme Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2010Mon 24-Jan-11 06:55 PM
#7. "RE: Capture NX not reading .NEF files "
In response to Reply # 2

Te Anau, NZ

Hi Bob:
Sadly, I am still using CNX (1.5.3?) and my camera is a D300s. I get the error even when trying to access files while still on the CF card, or fresh copies on my computer. I can open the files using ViewNX OK.
I might have to look at an upgrade path to CNX2.

Cheers
Paul

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Tue 25-Jan-11 12:18 PM
1105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Capture NX not reading .NEF files "
In response to Reply # 7

Englewood, US

>I might have to look at an upgrade path to CNX2.
>Cheers
>Paul

I wouldn't be surprised if the installation of LR3 updated some critical
file or library that the old CNx cannot deal with. CNX2 has tons more
features as well.

___Gary

http://gallery.me.com/freewheeler
http://freewheeler10.blogspot.com/

borgpj Registered since 02nd Mar 2011Wed 02-Mar-11 12:46 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Capture NX not reading .NEF files "
In response to Reply # 13

US

Hi folks. I'm a newbie with this same problem: I use CNx ver 1.3.5, I think, with a D70 (don't laugh). I can open my nef images and perform a bunch of edits, but CNx never displays any RAW edit options. What am I missing? The images are listed as .nef in Camera Settings, with Quality listed as Compressed RAW (12 bit). I keep thinking that there must be something simple I need click on or off to enable RAW processing options in CNx.

Thanks,
Phil Borgerding

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 24-Jan-11 11:13 AM
8594 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Capture NX not reading .NEF files "
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

There are no known conflicts with NX2 and Lightroom, so the problem is probably something simple - like the installation resetting your defaults.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #5147 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.