nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

brightness and WB differences processing with NX2 vs. PS

fsk

DE
81 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
fsk Registered since 27th Mar 2008
Sat 22-Jan-11 07:49 PM

I'm usually making pictures rather than peeping pixels but during the calibration process of my Sekonic light meter with a datacolor Spider Cube I've noticed quite a difference in the value readings between the two programs.

The same file has been opened in Camera Raw without any further processing and in NX2, neutral picture style, no adjustments.

The same grey card sample area reads 115 in NX2 while 124 in PS4 Camera RAW. The WB setting is correctly displayed in NX2 (5560) while PS displayed 5450.

The RAW file converted in NX2 appeared brighter to me, even if the reading shows a darker value. Converted to JPEGs the difference became even more pronounced although the PS version kept the grey value reading of 124 pretty much spot on while the NX version reflects the brighter rendering in a way brighter reading (135 instead of the 115 as a RAW file - both meassured in NX2). The conversion to JPEG done in PS4 darkened the picture and blocked the shadows quite a bit while NX2 kept all the shadow details. Both were color space converted using black point compensation.

Meassurement was always done on the grey part of the cube.
The dark left corner is due to the gridded octabox used with the a Profoto flash.

I'm wondering if anyone has encounterd a similar behavior. This is by no means a sientific approach but was an eye opener to me.

BTW; the PS version looks flatter to me - and we are not talking colors here. The differences in converting to JPEG from NX2 vs. PS4 seems even bigger than the differences in processing RAW itself.

Bottom line: Whatever the reasons might be, the differences are quite obvious and although processing speed of NX2 is a nightmare and the user interface lacks a lot - I've just stopped thinking about using PS4 or Lightroom instead...

Frank

www.fskphotography.de

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

G