Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #5117
View in linear mode

Subject: "NX3? - I'm Getting Worried" Previous topic | Next topic
sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Sat 22-Jan-11 03:37 PM
861 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NX3? - I'm Getting Worried"

Santa Fe, US

About this time last year, there were seemingly strong rumors that NX3 would arrive sometime in the summer (July or August).
It didn't, and still no sign of it mid-January 2011.
So I can't help but to begin to wonder ... .
Thoughts anyone? Is Thom right, and we should move away from NX?

SantaFeBill

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: NX3? - I'm Getting Worried
mklass Platinum Member
22nd Jan 2011
sfbillm Silver Member
23rd Jan 2011
robsb Platinum Member
23rd Jan 2011
nwcs Silver Member
23rd Jan 2011
robsb Platinum Member
24th Jan 2011
ericbowles Moderator
24th Jan 2011
Baaker Silver Member
30th Jan 2011
jlrsn
02nd Feb 2011
James23p Moderator
03rd Feb 2011
PAStime Silver Member
30th Jan 2011
Reply message RE: NX3? - I'm Getting Worried - To Clarify
sfbillm Silver Member
04th Feb 2011
robsb Platinum Member
04th Feb 2011
JerryLoSardo Gold Member
05th Feb 2011
walkerr Administrator
05th Feb 2011
nwcs Silver Member
05th Feb 2011
walkerr Administrator
05th Feb 2011
marinade Silver Member
11th Feb 2011
Ramd41 Silver Member
20th Feb 2011
glennaa11 Silver Member
25th Feb 2011
robsb Platinum Member
25th Feb 2011
Reply message RE: Thom is likely "not right"
Len Shepherd Gold Member
25th Feb 2011
Baaker Silver Member
25th Feb 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
25th Feb 2011
robsb Platinum Member
25th Feb 2011
Baaker Silver Member
25th Feb 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
26th Feb 2011
Baaker Silver Member
28th Feb 2011
robsb Platinum Member
28th Feb 2011
nwcs Silver Member
28th Feb 2011
robsb Platinum Member
28th Feb 2011
JonK Moderator
25th Feb 2011
nwcs Silver Member
26th Feb 2011
robsb Platinum Member
26th Feb 2011
nwcs Silver Member
26th Feb 2011
robsb Platinum Member
27th Feb 2011
sevtcard Silver Member
26th Feb 2011
Baaker Silver Member
26th Feb 2011
nwcs Silver Member
26th Feb 2011
robsb Platinum Member
27th Feb 2011
nwcs Silver Member
27th Feb 2011
robsb Platinum Member
27th Feb 2011
nwcs Silver Member
26th Feb 2011
robsb Platinum Member
26th Feb 2011
dgs2
26th Feb 2011
robsb Platinum Member
26th Feb 2011
               Reply message Very Educating Thread!!
jlrsn
26th Feb 2011
walkerr Administrator
26th Feb 2011
robsb Platinum Member
27th Feb 2011
walkerr Administrator
27th Feb 2011
robsb Platinum Member
27th Feb 2011
walkerr Administrator
27th Feb 2011
robsb Platinum Member
28th Feb 2011
sevtcard Silver Member
28th Feb 2011
JonK Moderator
27th Feb 2011

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 22-Jan-11 11:50 PM
5987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NX3? - I'm Getting Worried"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

Who knows! Speculating on what Nikon is doing and when they will do it is fun, but not very useful.

If Capture NX isn't doing what you want anymore and limiting your ability to process your images, then you should probably find something that works better for you.

If you are frustrated that there isn't an update, but otherwise getting the job done, why change?

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Sun 23-Jan-11 03:29 PM
861 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: NX3? - I'm Getting Worried"
In response to Reply # 1

Santa Fe, US

>If you are frustrated that there isn't an update, but
>otherwise getting the job done, why change?

I like NX2 very much - actually been a Capture user since the days of 4.
But I'm at the point with NX2 that, if I'm going to get really good with it, it will require a sizable commitment of time.

IF NX2 turns out to be the end of the line, at some point there will likely be Nikon cameras shooting RAW formats that NX2 doesn't support. At that point I would have to learn new software.

So it's a throw of the dice. I'll probably stay with NX2 for now and hope ... .

SantaFeBill

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 23-Jan-11 07:51 PM
12835 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: NX3? - I'm Getting Worried"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

I would argue that most people using CNX2 are not using it to its full potential right now. The effort to master it is no where near the effort to learn either Photoshop or LR. I am very happy with my CNX2 and I know CNX3 will make me even happier. I would like them to take their time and put out a product deserving of the CNX3 title. I would never expect CNX to become as powerful as Photoshop, and I don't want it to be as I use them for different things. I'll stack my NX2 NEF processing to ACR anytime.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Sun 23-Jan-11 09:02 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: NX3? - I'm Getting Worried"
In response to Reply # 3

Knoxville, US

Thats not totally a fair comparison because Photoshop has far more features than NX. I found both products about equal in learnin curve. A more fair comparison would be camera raw to NX overall. I do agree, though, that most people won't use either tool to their fullest capability but for most of the pics we take we don't really need the full capability.

I'm one of those people who also hopes for nx3. From a pure business point of view, they are already behind the curve somewhat and if they wait a geat deal longer they will have a harder time recapturing market share. Of course it doesn't mean the product doesn't work now or that it cant give a good result because it clearly does.

What I'm most surprised by is that there hasn't been much leakage about what's happening to NX. That can be a good thing and we will be surprised when it makes an appearance or a bad thing. If it comes it may be in April when the alleged mirror less camera is released. Otherwise we will have 2.2.7...

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 24-Jan-11 06:32 AM
12835 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: NX3? - I'm Getting Worried"
In response to Reply # 4

San Jose, US

Neil I agree it is not a totally fair comparison because Photoshop is more complex and has tools outside a normal still photogs use, but I still say if you compare features they share, both RAW processing and editing, CNX2 is stilleasierto learn and gives better results, some of which are impossible in PHOTOSHOP.

we have had positive significant tidbits that indicate a much more robust product with better integration of NIK filters. I would expect a very significant upgrade with the time that has gone by. I am not being pulled to using my Photoshop CS5 extended more while I am waiting.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 24-Jan-11 11:30 AM
8715 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: NX3? - I'm Getting Worried"
In response to Reply # 5

Atlanta, US

I tend to agree with Bob - the basic ability to edit an image and even some of the advanced functions can be taught to a new user very quickly.

For me, the combination of low cost, short learning curve, speed of editing, and compatibility with Nikon cameras make View NX2 and CNX2 the starting point for anyone just starting to take editing seriously. If you are proficient with LR or CS5, the dynamics change.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Baaker Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Aug 2009Sun 30-Jan-11 09:17 AM
923 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: NX3? - I'm Getting Worried"
In response to Reply # 4

Dumbarton, GB

I'm one of those people who also hopes for nx3. From a pure business point of view, they are already behind the curve somewhat and if they wait a geat deal longer they will have a harder time recapturing market share. Of course it doesn't mean the product doesn't work now or that it cant give a good result because it clearly does.

Unquote

If and when Nikon finally create NX3 then it would be wise to wait 6 months before using it? Otherwise what you will be doing is beta testing the product for them and given their track record their will be a few problems to overcome? It is ironic that programs like Viveza 2 which I use was near flawless in it's implementation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43019448@N04/

jlrsn Registered since 16th Jan 2008Wed 02-Feb-11 10:26 PM
76 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: NX3? - I'm Getting Worried"
In response to Reply # 8

Up at 8,000' in the Rockies, US

I have to agree with Bob Baldassano. Most users of CNX2 don't know the full potential of what we have now. Every day that I find something new in CNX2 I'm amazed. I can foresee Nik Software stepping in with new fully integrated plug-ins that are already in use in PS and LR. Its a ready made market for them!! There will be additional costs involved for the users but you mostly get what you pay for. I'd gladly pay for a CNX2 fully functioning version of Viveza 2 in as much as the ground work of U point Technology is already there. The Nik Color Efex Pro 3 for CNX2 is a good example. I find Color Efex Pro 3 more natural and easier to use in CNX2 than in CS5.
Jim

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Thu 03-Feb-11 06:41 AM
9642 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: NX3? - I'm Getting Worried"
In response to Reply # 9

Memphis, US

For me NX2 gives me fantastic results with alot less effort it takes me in Photoshop. I have never been a fan of Adobe's interface but there are more people who do like Adobe so I am in the minority. But I love NX2 and I am sure NX3 if it comes will be just as good. Another thing I like is NX2's BW conversions they seem to be spot on.

All I need is a stand alone photo framing program and HDR software to play with and I am set, but something tells me these will be in the next major upgrade of Nik's filters for NX2 or 3.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sun 30-Jan-11 02:39 AM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: NX3? - I'm Getting Worried"
In response to Reply # 0

Kingston, CA

This month's National Geographic has a Nikon School of Photography ad that invites the reader to discover the world of Nikon Capture NX2. I know this is but a drop in the bucket but it is nice to see Nikon still enthusiastic about Capture NX2. Peter

sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Fri 04-Feb-11 10:28 PM
#11. "RE: NX3? - I'm Getting Worried - To Clarify"
In response to Reply # 0

Santa Fe, US

I agree completely with all the good things that have been said about NX2, its features and relative ease of use compared to Photoshop (and, for me, Lightroom as well).
Esp. combined with the Nik filters, it is a powerful tool.

My concern is rather whether Nikon is committed to continuing with NX. I realize that Nikon/Nik isn't the size of company that Adobe is (software wise), but, OTOH N/N isn't working with the number of applications that Adobe is.

So I can't help wondering why there yet hasn't been enough time to bring NX3 to market ... .

SantaFeBill

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 04-Feb-11 11:45 PM
#12. "RE: NX3? - I'm Getting Worried - To Clarify"
In response to Reply # 11

San Jose, US

Looking at some of the recent NIK announcements, it would appear that they are releasing a number of standalone improvements to their outher products and if the other post we have seen are correct, th enext version of CNX is suppossed to work with NIK plug ins without having a special addition. Add to that the obvious need to make CNX a 64 bit product like all new NIK products, it does not surprise me that it is taking so long to make another release. I would rather wait a bit longer than to get a rushed release that doesn't address current issues and add in the new features.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

JerryLoSardo Gold Member Charter MemberSat 05-Feb-11 09:22 AM
909 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: NX3? - I'm Getting Worried - To Clarify"
In response to Reply # 12

Frederick, US

I agree with Bob that it would be better to wait longer so that NIK gets it right, but it would be nice if they communicated with their customer base about future upgrades, just to give us hope! The Photo Mechanic software developers do this very well. On the Camera Bits website, you can easily communicate with the PM senior developer Kirk Baker.

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 05-Feb-11 12:14 PM
14606 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: NX3? - I'm Getting Worried - To Clarify"
In response to Reply # 13

Colorado Springs, US

Please keep in mind that NX is a Nikon product. Nik assists with a portion of it.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Sat 05-Feb-11 01:45 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: NX3? - I'm Getting Worried - To Clarify"
In response to Reply # 14

Knoxville, US

My understanding is Nik is pretty much only responsible for the control points and not the interface (and certainly not the raw processor). Is that pretty much accurate or do they contribute more?

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 05-Feb-11 05:59 PM
14606 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: NX3? - I'm Getting Worried - To Clarify"
In response to Reply # 15
Sat 05-Feb-11 06:23 PM by walkerr

Colorado Springs, US

It's more than that, but you're in the zone. Keep in mind that are also edit step functions, etc. The most important thing is that Nikon is in charge of Capture NX.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

marinade Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Feb 2011Fri 11-Feb-11 01:17 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: NX3? - I'm Getting Worried - To Clarify"
In response to Reply # 16

US

This maybe a major "duh" but I'm seeing the whole
(combination of the two) to be greater than the sum of the
parts. It would be a killer one stop app. 

Jim

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Ramd41 Silver Member Charter MemberSun 20-Feb-11 01:06 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: NX3? - I'm Getting Worried - To Clarify"
In response to Reply # 17

Morristown, US

Nikon makes great equipment, and I can't disagree that CNX2 is still the converter of choice - at least for me. But whether because of a cultural issue or just not getting the U.S. market, its sense of marketing savvy is sad. The company could be so much more, it's disappointing that it continues in its arrogance(?), ignorance(?), unwillingness to deviate from a 70 year old business model(?) to keep its customers advised of its plans for this important software. The GUI is old and tired. The software is slow and a memory hog. New Nikon users just aren't going to find it enticing. While we can sit around and continue to say, yea, but its the best for we Nikon users, and it may be, but it will eventually fade from the scene if it doesn't keep up. That would be too bad.

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Fri 25-Feb-11 02:34 AM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: NX3? - I'm Getting Worried - To Clarify"
In response to Reply # 18

Arlington, US

I think you're right about marketing. Perhaps they should offer a trial version (at least) along with new DSLRs instead of just View.

I never thought I needed CNX2 and was happy enough with PSE and ACR. Then I went to a D90 seminar that Nikon holds a few times a year in conjunction with my local camera shop. At the end the rep made a good pitch for NX2 and talked about how it was the best choice for getting the most out of your RAW files. And then he did a quick demo of what the U points can do. I was totally amazed and bought the software immediately. You can do so many things quickly and easily that take a lot more work in PS. I think if more people knew about the power of NX2 they would jump on it.

Part of the problem is that PS is just such a household word. Every photo magazine has PS how-to's but they never show you any other software. I find that really irritating. But they have a big market share. I was at another class this past weekend...this one was for the Nikon CLS flash system. The instructors there even seemed to be married to PS. They were using LR3 for it's tethering capability. I suppose pros need the cataloging of LR. But for most amateurs who don't shoot a ton it's probably overkill. When I mentioned I used CNX2 they looked a bit askance at me. Even pros shooting Nikon RAW aren't using CNX2.

I just got the full version of PS-CS5 since Amazon gave me $400 off. I have done some things in PS before. But loading up that software reminded me how much work it is to do things and how complicated the program is.

I'm not sure that we necessarily need a new version of CNX. I'm happy to not have to buy more new software. As long as they keep updating CNX2 to handle the new camera models I don't see a problem.

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 25-Feb-11 06:28 AM
#20. "RE: NX3? - I'm Getting Worried - To Clarify"
In response to Reply # 19

San Jose, US

Glenn in some countries they did include a free version of CNX2 when the D300 came out. Yes Photoshop has the market and a very big industry has been built around telling you how to use it, and this has gone on for over 20 years. Think of how litle money would be made teaching you all you need to know about CNX2 in a few hours not years. CS5 is really for Illustrator Professionals who use photos in their output and it is very powerful, especially when tied with the Production Suite. LR was Adobes answer for photographers, but as you now know CNX2 will give you excellent results in less time. I have well over 5 years into Photoshop since CS, but CNX2 is my first choice since CNX2 came out. There will be an update, and I expect it to be a big improvement over what we have now. In general, the way I work, I could easily keep using CNX2 with trips to CS5 as necessary like I do now.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Fri 25-Feb-11 08:37 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Thom is likely "not right""
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

NX2 is easily the best Nikon RAW converter, with less loss of file information with some basic post process steps than any other software.
If there is no "NX3" then Nikon Nikon can only go forward by abandoning the advantages of NEF.
Similar comments apply to Canon RAW files.
Work flow is part personal choice, part habit, and part few being able to evaluate everything that is out there.
That said if you want maximum image quality from an edited Nikon RAW file the only way to get it is to do as much editing as possible in NX2 before exporting to other programs when adjustments beyond the scope of NX2 are required.
If you want to do many common and some quite advanced adjustments often there is nothing to match the speed or simplicity of NX 2 at the price point.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

Baaker Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Aug 2009Fri 25-Feb-11 09:48 AM
923 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Thom is likely "not right""
In response to Reply # 21

Dumbarton, GB

>NX2 is easily the best Nikon RAW converter, with less loss of
>file information with some basic post process steps than any
>other software.

Len I would like to see some information to back up that statement. I am at a loss to how it can be proved

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 25-Feb-11 03:59 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Thom is likely "not right""
In response to Reply # 22

Chicago, US

There is a lot of personal opinion in that decision.

Nikon Capture NX 2 applies the in camera settings when opening a NEF
Nikon Capture NX 2 can save edits as a NEF file with the revisable edit steps in the NEF.

Like any tool, a lot depends on the user's skill with the tool. But it is most likely is the best tool to start with for editing a NEF image.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 25-Feb-11 06:00 PM
#24. "RE: Thom is likely "not right""

San Jose, US

I will be interested in Len's comments as well, but why whould you question that statement?. Lets look at some facts:

Only CNX2 can accurately read all camera controls including WB, ADL, Picture Controls, etc and apply Nikon's proprietary algorithms. All other post processors apply their own estimates. That right there says you are using all of the data your camera can provide. There have been many articles including a few by Thom in which image quality has been compared where CNX2 was better than the Adobe Alternative. You stay in RAW and store in NEF,all the time being in 16 bit mode the other post processors don't. As a long time user of Photoshop and an expert user, I know it is much easier to accomplish very detailed masks in CNX2 than Photoshop. LCH is close to LAB in performance. Sharpening is done automatically on the luminance channel. For a majority of most peoples work, you will not need another tool. It is easier to learn than Photoshop, costs less. Note Len is not saying that once you have done your RAW processing that you would never use any other tools. He is saying do as much as possible in CNX2 before you do.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Baaker Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Aug 2009Fri 25-Feb-11 06:44 PM
#25. "RE: Thom is likely "not right""
In response to Reply # 24

Dumbarton, GB

To narrow it down, I was asking about.

>with less loss of
>file information with some basic post process steps than any
>other software.

Unquote

That is the part I would like information about and not just a personal subjective opinion. Some hard facts

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Sat 26-Feb-11 10:14 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Thom is likely "not right""
In response to Reply # 25

Yorkshire, GB

>>with less loss of file information with some basic post process steps than any
>>other software.
>That is the part I would like information about and not just a personal subjective opinion. Some hard facts
All routine editing steps work by removing information from the file.
The NEF file recorded in camera is usually not the same as in the file being worked on.
Camera settings and many NX2 adjustments are accomplished by applying filters in sequence to get from the original NEF to the current editing state. This is one of the reasons why an edited NEF may not open instantly.
Many software programs do not recognise some of the camera settings - they are easy to undo or change in NX2. If you have recorded other than a NEF, correction outside of NX2 often results in 2 stages resulting in loss of file information rather than 1.
Once a NEF is converted to a Tiff or flattened in PS there is no way of deleting a step - subsequent adjustments result in loss of a second amount of file information.
Generally a system working from the original NEF and applying filters works slower but requires less file space than prior to flattening in PS
I agree if you print a jpeg or view an many monitors how you process as little relevance. The end result is good enough for many purposes, but is not always the best that can be achieved.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

Baaker Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Aug 2009Mon 28-Feb-11 08:20 AM
#51. "RE: Thom is likely "not right""
In response to Reply # 33

Dumbarton, GB

>>>with less loss of file information with some basic
>post process steps than any
>>>other software.
>>That is the part I would like information about and not
>just a personal subjective opinion. Some hard facts
>All routine editing steps work by removing information from
>the file.
>The NEF file recorded in camera is usually not the same as in
>the file being worked on.
>Camera settings and many NX2 adjustments are accomplished by
>applying filters in sequence to get from the original NEF to
>the current editing state. This is one of the reasons why an
>edited NEF may not open instantly.
>Many software programs do not recognise some of the camera
>settings - they are easy to undo or change in NX2. If you
>have recorded other than a NEF, correction outside of NX2
>often results in 2 stages resulting in loss of file
>information rather than 1.
>Once a NEF is converted to a Tiff or flattened in PS there is
>no way of deleting a step - subsequent adjustments result in
>loss of a second amount of file information.
>Generally a system working from the original NEF and applying
>filters works slower but requires less file space than prior
>to flattening in PS
>I agree if you print a jpeg or view an many monitors how you
>process as little relevance. The end result is good enough for
>many purposes, but is not always the best that can be
>achieved.

A rather wordy and long explanation that IMO doesn't answer the question. In a nutshell if you edit an image in NX and edit the same image in Photoshop then will there be less loss of information using NX? This is assuming it is possible to do the same edits. This is what you implied in your statement.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 28-Feb-11 06:01 PM
#52. "RE: Thom is likely "not right""
In response to Reply # 51

San Jose, US

I think it helps if we come to some standard agreements:

-16 bit edits will always retain more data than 8 bit edits.
-In Adobe products when you are outside of ACR smart objects and smart layers are needed to keep edits non-destructive, and therefore require a layered TIFF or PSB file be saved to allow future edits (perhaps this is also possible with DING- Rick please correct this if I am wrong)
- There are two levels of data in a NEF, the standard info that came off the sensor and the maker data that stores camera controls, settings, etc. If you consider the 2nd level as data than by not using CNX2 you lose data by this definition. If you don't consider this second level than in most cases you don't.
-If you use ADL only CNX2 can properly apply the proprietary algorithms to the RAW data to properly process the file (ref Thom). That is because this is is the only camera control that actually changes the RAW file. It does two things, lowers overall exposure, which could be corrected in other tools, but it also MOVES data bins related to the exposure which other tools cannot correct for.
- There has been some discussion here about how Adobe applies white balance and some have said there is a difference in the settings applied. If this is correct then this is another area where data is lost or at least applied differently.

-All edit steps in CNX2 are non destructive because they are only edit steps that are applied to the RAW file on output and therefore can be changed at any time.

So with those ground rules we can look at the above statements and make some statements:

If you don't use ADL and don't use 8 bit tools in Adobe products, and use non destructive edit steps like smart objects and smart layers,store your file as a layered TIFF or PSB (or DING?) and do as much in ACR as possible. You most likely will wind up with the same amount of camera data as long as you don't consider camera controls as part of the data set.

If any of the above is not true than I believe we can say that the CNX2 NEF will retain more data.

Please feel free to address my assumptions or ground rules.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Mon 28-Feb-11 06:32 PM
#53. "RE: Thom is likely "not right""
In response to Reply # 52

Knoxville, US

I think of it this way. NX can use all the data in the NEF. Other products don't use all the data available in the NEF. So, to me, it all turns on whether the data not used by other processors is significant for the particular picture.

At the current day I think there really isn't much difference worth worrying about when you factor in the current display and imaging technology. It's fairly subtle. But I still capture with as high a bit depth as I can, though, because you never know what benefits will come when output devices finally start catching up.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 28-Feb-11 10:19 PM
#54. "RE: Thom is likely "not right""
In response to Reply # 53

San Jose, US

I tend to agree that this is an esoteric discussion based on today's state of the art displays and printers in general have trouble producing the ARGB GAMUT, but like you I shoot 14 bit ARGB on my D700 and post process in 16 bit in the Pro Photo color space to future proof my images. So in reality you are most likely not going to see much difference if any, but it could be an impact as future displays and printers become capable of producing wider gamuts.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Fri 25-Feb-11 06:47 PM
4711 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Thom is likely "not right""

New York, US

Add to that the plugins whose effects get stored in the NEF, as opposed to other workflows where the same plugin is executed on a TIF. If you want to revisit the RAW development settings, you'd have to again output the TIF and reapply the plugin.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Sat 26-Feb-11 01:00 AM
#27. "RE: Thom is likely "not right""
In response to Reply # 26

Knoxville, US

Well, that isn't necessarily true. Ignoring disk space you can easily do all of that with smart objects in Photoshop.

On a semi-related note, one misconception out there is that every edit step in NX works on raw data. Nope. Only the develop section is using raw data. Internally each edit step is using a rendered tiff image.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 26-Feb-11 05:41 AM
#30. "RE: Thom is likely "not right""
In response to Reply # 27

San Jose, US

Yes smart objects allow you to revisit an edit step as long as you have saved the file complete will all the layers and have not flattened it. To explain the RAW processing step maybe we should have said in photoshop once you leave ACR you can no longer go back to the NEF and make edits, also not all Adobe edit steps are 16 bit, all CNX2 steps are,and and all CNX2 edit steps are stored in the NEF and those steps are applied to the NEF for final rendering.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Sat 26-Feb-11 02:08 PM
#36. "RE: Thom is likely "not right""
In response to Reply # 30

Knoxville, US

I may be misunderstanding you but you can open a file from Camera Raw as a smart object and still adjust the parameters from Camera Raw later.

Now, I still believe that NX2 is overall better at handling raw data, especially underexposed data. That hasn't changed. It's just that there's a lot of versatility out there in both products.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 27-Feb-11 12:40 AM
#40. "RE: Thom is likely "not right""
In response to Reply # 36

San Jose, US

I may not be being clear. What I was trying to say is if you flatten your image and don't keep all the layers whether they are smart objects or not, you cannot go back and revisit the edit step in Adobe. Now I must caveat what I just said by saying that I gave up on ACR long ago, doing all my RAW processing in CNX2. My expertise in Photoshop today lies in the use of all the other tools outside of ACR and the use of LAB space. I also want to be clear that I am not saying that i never use Photoshop, I do or I would not have bothered to learn all I have over all these years, it is that I just do not use it for RAW processing.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

sevtcard Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009Sat 26-Feb-11 11:34 AM
328 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: Thom is likely "not right""
In response to Reply # 27

Brattleboro, US

>On a semi-related note, one misconception out there is that
>every edit step in NX works on raw data. Nope. Only the
>develop section is using raw data. Internally each edit step
>is using a rendered tiff image.

i didn't know that - very interesting - i suppose that could explain some of the memory/performance issues...

m

www.broadwallphotography.com

Baaker Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Aug 2009Sat 26-Feb-11 03:05 PM
#37. "RE: Thom is likely "not right""
In response to Reply # 34

Dumbarton, GB

>>On a semi-related note, one misconception out there is
>that
>>every edit step in NX works on raw data. Nope. Only the
>>develop section is using raw data. Internally each edit
>step
>>is using a rendered tiff image.
>
>i didn't know that - very interesting - i suppose that could
>explain some of the memory/performance issues...

I would be interested in a link that describes this process. At what stage is the information processed to Tiff and how do they manage to keep the develop and edit bits apart in the processing? This is mind boggling.

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Sat 26-Feb-11 04:44 PM
#38. "RE: Thom is likely "not right""
In response to Reply # 37

Knoxville, US

I don't have a specific link that describes it but I've seen it discussed many times by both beta testers of NX and others. As a software developer it makes total sense to me, too, when you consider the SDK for Nikon's raw processing engine and how the worked with Capture in the past (pre-NX).

You have to look at it differently. What's happening is every time the image is updated (excluding the current edit step) everything is re-processed again. This is one of the reasons why editing steps can be time consuming. The develop module and each edit steps are basically instructions. When NX needs to render a picture it will develop the raw in the develop stage and use the instructions in the edit steps to pixel-alter the rendered raw part and present the result.

When you change an edit step it merely repeats this process with new information. Like I said, this is why it can be a major pain to edit the edit steps. NX caches an image at a certain stage in the process which is why editing the last step isn't as bad. It also helps explain why by default when you edit an earlier step it deactivates all the subsequent steps and if you have "show all steps" enabled why it takes a while to see the rendered results of editing an earlier step.

This is how they achieve the flexibility of the edit steps and how they can make it changeable. It's a perfectly legitimate way of doing it and like every other software engineering situation it has trade-offs. The trade-off is speed. It is important to realize though that pixels are being altered, though, during the render process. It's just easier to make changes.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 27-Feb-11 12:56 AM
#42. "RE: Thom is likely "not right""
In response to Reply # 38

San Jose, US

Now this is a much clearer statement than what you said before. Yes development works on the RAW data, but the key here is edit steps are just that. They are a list of edit actions that are applied to the RAW file when it is rendered out to output either as a TIFF or a JPEG. This includes the application of all the camera controls and the impact they have on the final image. So you are NOT altering the RAW file unless you did something like use ADL in your camera as that WILL alter the RAW file. So by keeping the steps separate, you can go back at any time and redo the edit. You can drop edit steps even and still this does not phase CNX2. You are ALWAYS working in 16 bit as there are no 8 bit edit steps in CNX2 like in Photoshop. All of these steps are stored in the NEF making for a much smaller file than an Adobe file that kept all of its layers so you can go back and reedit steps. As you point out this comes with a penalty every time you change something CNX2 has to re-render it so you can see the impact. This takes more time.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Sun 27-Feb-11 01:32 PM
#43. "RE: Thom is likely "not right""
In response to Reply # 42

Knoxville, US

Yep. Just wish there was a better way to marry what NX2 can do with Photoshop. In my photography I have to use both or just Photoshop. If I had it my way, I'd use NX2 as the initial part of my image pipeline and finish it off with Photoshop and have it seamless and editable. For now, though, for images I really like I just export from NX2 and go to Photoshop. Otherwise I just start with Photoshop.

My prediction for NX3 is this summer when the D4 is announced. They'll most likely want to do something more than just a minor update when the new flagship arrives.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 27-Feb-11 08:22 PM
#45. "RE: Thom is likely "not right""
In response to Reply # 43

San Jose, US

I use both CS5 Extended and CNX2. Essentially for me all my RAW processing is done in CNX2 and as much other post processing as possible. I move a 16 bit TIFF to Photoshop if I need to blend multiple images, do perspective correction, do a pano, add a copyright signature add canvas, do cloning where CNX2 Auto correct Brush was not enough or do a correction that requires a trip to LAB. This approach has worked very well for me as I feel I am using the best tools for the task at hand for doing this. Yet since using CNX2, I have dramatically reduced my use of CS5. While I am very conversant with CS5, I can generally do my work faster in CNX2, usually 5 minutes or less.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Sat 26-Feb-11 01:02 AM
#28. "RE: Thom is likely "not right""

Knoxville, US

>I know it is much easier to accomplish very detailed masks in CNX2 than Photoshop

Certain kinds of masks -- and assuming you aren't using Viveza or similar in Photoshop. Cost considerations, of course, are another matter. Other kinds of masks, though, are much easier in Photoshop such as a one click operation to select the luminance data for a mask and the channel operations you can do with masks.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 26-Feb-11 05:55 AM
#32. "RE: Thom is likely "not right""
In response to Reply # 28

San Jose, US

Well in CNX2 they do a great job of hiding the masks from you unless youwant to see them, so getting luminence data in one click in Photoshop can be done in cnx2 with one slider move. CNX2 also allows you to limit the effect of an edit step to each of the RGB channels, or for that matter LCH and also a selected number of colors. simple masks are nott he issue, when you talk one click with a selection point, and generating perfect elborate masks in CNx2, that is what I care about as a time saver.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Sat 26-Feb-11 01:17 AM
710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Thom is likely "not right""

San Francisco, US

Bob,

I'm an avid user of NX2 and also have CS 4.Could you elaborate on this statement: "...LCH is close to LAB in performance. Sharpening is done automatically on the luminance channel."? I'm afraid I don't understand it. I follow Jason O'dell's recommendations for the D200 USM sharpening in NX2, which gives me a nice "capture" sharpen. If I'm going to print an image, I will take it into CS 4 and resize, etc. and then do a final "output" sharpen with Photokit, which I have used since I still shot film. Is there a better way I'm missing in NX2?

dgs

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 26-Feb-11 05:51 AM
#31. "RE: Thom is likely "not right""
In response to Reply # 29

San Jose, US

It is a well known fact that the best way to sharpen to avoid color shifts, and other artifacts, you should only sharpen luminance. You can do this in Photoshop in two ways, while in RGB set the blend mode to luminance and then sharpen that layer or make a trip to LAB space where Luminance is a separate channel with no color information. In CNX2 USM automatically uses the luminance data when it sharpens. There is absolutely no reason to move to CS4 to re-size and resharpen unless that is where you plan to print your output. When you re-size, you should always resharpen. You can do multiple types of sharpening on an image in CNX2, capture, global, and selective. In fact the USM tool in CNX2 has a wealth of tools in the Opacity section that allows you to select very specific areas to sharpen, such as each of the Red, Green or Blue channels, a series of colors including CYM, and also allows you to control the impact on chrominance and luminance with sliders.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

jlrsn Registered since 16th Jan 2008Sat 26-Feb-11 08:08 PM
76 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "Very Educating Thread!!"
In response to Reply # 31

Up at 8,000' in the Rockies, US

This thread, or debate, is extremely educational!! Keep it going!!!
Jim

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 26-Feb-11 11:53 AM
#35. "RE: Thom is likely "not right""

Colorado Springs, US

This is a lot like listening to a debate about which country is best when it's conducted by people who have never left their own country. There are many good raw conversion products on the market, each of which has its own strengths. If you get lost in the "mine is best" contests you'll lose sight of the broader landscape: different photographers will value different things, all of which should lead to a potentially different selection. Many of the "discriminators" mentioned in this thread are found in many of today's raw converters, but if you don't use them or spend enough time with them to gain familiarity, you won't know better.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 27-Feb-11 12:43 AM
#41. "RE: Thom is likely "not right""
In response to Reply # 35

San Jose, US

Rick i agree with you that it is best to be familiar with a number of post processing tools and what they can and cannot do, so you can use the best tool for the task at hand. But that does not mean that Adobe products are always best or that a combination of CNX2 and Adobe are not a desired approach.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sun 27-Feb-11 07:38 PM
#44. "RE: Thom is likely "not right""
In response to Reply # 41
Sun 27-Feb-11 08:19 PM by walkerr

Colorado Springs, US

That's not what I said. It disturbs me when factually incorrect, circular logic and misleading posts continue to be made in this forum.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 27-Feb-11 08:42 PM
#47. "RE: Thom is likely "not right""
In response to Reply # 44

San Jose, US

Rick I did not mean to imply that the second sentence in my response to you was a comment of yours, and apologize if it looked that way. Your statement that we should be familiar with the different tools and there capabilities and limitations was what i intended to respond to and like I said agree with. I would expect the moderators to chime in when someone made a factually incorrect, misleading or circular logic argument about the use of CNX2 and other Nikon imaging products as we don't want to say something that is incorrect. As in any discussion forum, you will find differing opinions about CNX2 and other Nikon Imaging products. I do believe people are more interested in facts than opinion, and we often need to rely on the expertise of others to correct misconceptions. There is a lot of misconception about what CNX2 can and cannot do and how it works. I think as a group we have been trying to explore how to get the most out of CNX2 even though the amount of information in its use is no where near what is available for Adobe products. And while I did agree with you that we need to be familiar with other tools, the focus here is and should be not which is better, but what are the capabilities of CNX2 and how do we take advantage of the less discussed functions that are in the software. In other words, in general this should be CNX2/VNX2 centric as many people who visit this forum don't own any Adobe products, and can easily visit those forums for information. We have discussed work flow and how to move files back and forth to Adobe products, but quite frankly we would appreciate more input from you and Jason along the lines of how to maximize our application of these Nikon tools on our images.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sun 27-Feb-11 11:53 PM
#48. "RE: Thom is likely "not right""
In response to Reply # 47

Colorado Springs, US

Bob, I'm all for good, factual information. We don't help clear misconceptions about NX2 by propagating incorrect information about other products. All we do is give bad advice to newer photographers who make product commitments for the wrong reasons. If this thread were about how to use the product to its best extent, I'd have no problem with it. What I have a problem with are absolute statements regarding its superiority that are just plain silly. Moreover, if you know more about the underlying technology, it would actually lead you to a different conclusion. I frankly don't believe that particular conclusion even matters because familiarity and user preferences trump it, but if people are basing decisions on that information, we're not helping them.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 28-Feb-11 12:22 AM
#49. "RE: Thom is likely "not right""
In response to Reply # 48

San Jose, US

"We don't help clear misconceptions about NX2 by propagating incorrect information about other products. All we do is give bad advice to newer photographers who make product commitments for the wrong reasons."

I could not agree more.

"If this thread were about how to use the product to its best extent, I'd have no problem with it."

Since i didn't start the thread, I am not sure how to respond, but the thread addressed Thom's comment that it was time to move away from CNX2, even though he stated in the article referenced that CNX2 was still the best RAW processor for NEFs -his assessment. People responded to that with their experiences. Now I cannot assess whether Thom's statement that CNX2 is the Best RAW processor for NEF's is silly, but I tend to agree with his assessment that it is but don't agree that it is time to move away from it as a tool, obviously an opinion.

I have read Jason's analysis as to why he still uses CNX2 vs LR or photoshop and again i agree with his assessment. He discussed the underlying technology a bit in his answer as well.

Again in general, although individual threads may stray from the concept, we are just trying to make the best use of CNX2 and VNX2 for processing NEF's in this forum. As much as possible we want facts. If you see something that is wrong, silly, etc. fire away.

We originally asked for this forum because when people were asking questions on how to use CNX2 we got a bit tired of all the answers being why we should move to LR instead of getting answers on how to accomplish something in CNX2.

You know I use both CNX2 and CS5 and for very specific reasons and tasks. You are correct that preferences trump all. for example because I don't like to use side cars or DING, this leads me to choose CNX2. At the same time, I would not hesitate to go to CS5 to do perspective control or to add canvas or to blend images, all things that CNX2 cannot do. Could I sharpen just as well in either CNX2 or CS5, sure and it may be just how convient it is at the moment as to which one I choose, or because I want to use LAB.

So bottom line I don't think you and I are disagreeing at all. I am just asking for you and Jason to chime in when you think we are on the wrong track, but to remember we want information on using CNX2 and VNX2 primarily and in some cases how best to use them together with Adobe products in our workflow.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

sevtcard Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009Mon 28-Feb-11 12:25 AM
328 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#50. "RE: Thom is likely "not right""
In response to Reply # 48
Mon 28-Feb-11 12:42 AM by sevtcard

Brattleboro, US

i very much respect your knowledge and appreciate your many helpful and evenhanded comments posted in this forum and elsewhere, however, this is the point at which i think i diverge from your well thought out positions...this is a forum that invites opinion (caveat emptor). i doubt anyone perusing this forum is able to divine how the varying opinions expressed here have been formed...what we see in these posts are the end result of a discerning process which might reflect experience with only one product or might reflect a breadth of experience and expertise over a broad range of products...perhaps cnx2 is the best raw processor or maybe its acr/cs5, or maybe there's no difference...as you said, there really isn't a reliable measure ('...familiarity and user preferences trump <the technology>.'): its all art, and it's all in the eye of the beholder...i would absolutely agree with you, on the other hand, that absolutism about who knows what is 'just plain silly.'
mark
www.broadwallphotography.com
EDIT
and i would add that my observations do not altogether subtract from the validity of your critique regarding reporting on a country or place, when one has never been....my point is that in this venue, we don't really know if the writer has been to that place or not...and in a forum such as this, it is (should be) assumed that the well-informed mix with the less so (such as i)...m

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sun 27-Feb-11 08:37 PM
4711 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#46. "RE: NX3? - I'm Getting Worried"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

My turn to confuse, confound, and otherwise obfuscate the content of this thread. As background, in my day job I've been a Photoshop user since before it was Photoshop and use it every day; I played with Aperture when it came out and again recently; my current workflow is Photo Mechanic and Capture NX2. So some random thoughts:

• Generally speaking, I can obtain the same end result with Aperture, NX, or Photoshop.
• Sharpening in the luminance channel, while generally a good idea, is sometimes not.
• Working in LAB is not the solution for every image problem.

I prefer CNX because it uses all the camera settings in the NEF file which moves my PP along faster. And when I open an image in CNX I like to tweak .So there is not a lot of repeatability to my PP. And I rarely batch, so I don't suffer from slow CNX batching.

The rare times that I do batch, I work in Photoshop. I tweak ACR to obtain the result that matches my in-camera settings, and then my batching is off to the races.

Regarding three stage sharpening: I've studied it, I understand it, I accept the theory of it —and I frequently do not execute it. Capture sharpening is a given, I do it on 98% of my images. Selective sharpening (and selective blurring) is where I live; a lot of my images get hand work. Output sharpening I frequently skip, but that may be partially because I don't do much printing anymore, and images going to an offset press are usually best left to the offset printer for sharpening.

Regarding software comparisons: at this time in our lives, most of them are really, really good. They simply work. And because of that it is very difficult to compare them except for specific features or tools that one may have and another not.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #5117 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.