Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #5102
View in linear mode

Subject: ""use this instead of embedded profile" applies or conv..." Previous topic | Next topic
deedee7 Registered since 25th Dec 2010Fri 21-Jan-11 03:36 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
""use this instead of embedded profile" applies or converts?"
Fri 21-Jan-11 03:36 AM by deedee7

PL

If I check "use this instead of embedded profile"(ProPhoto) in CNX2 preferences, does it apply or convert the profile?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: "use this instead of embedded profile" applies or ...
robsb Platinum Member
21st Jan 2011
deedee7
21st Jan 2011
robsb Platinum Member
21st Jan 2011
deedee7
21st Jan 2011
robsb Platinum Member
22nd Jan 2011
deedee7
22nd Jan 2011
deedee7
22nd Jan 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
22nd Jan 2011
deedee7
22nd Jan 2011
mpappa Silver Member
22nd Jan 2011
nightcat
22nd Jan 2011
deedee7
22nd Jan 2011
robsb Platinum Member
23rd Jan 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
23rd Jan 2011
robsb Platinum Member
24th Jan 2011
deedee7
24th Jan 2011
robsb Platinum Member
24th Jan 2011
deedee7
25th Jan 2011

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 21-Jan-11 06:00 AM
12826 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: "use this instead of embedded profile" applies or converts?"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Are you looking at the Soft Instruction manual that came with CNX2? Here is the answer you would have found there:

Use This Instead of Embedded Profile
This option causes Capture NX 2 to automatically convert the image from the embedded profile to the profile as defined in the Default RGB Color Space option. This option is automatically enabled if you selected the Always use the Default RGB Color Space as the working color space option during installation.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

deedee7 Registered since 25th Dec 2010Fri 21-Jan-11 06:55 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: "use this instead of embedded profile" applies or converts?"
In response to Reply # 1

PL

I should have looked there first- my bad. Why is it that when I open a raw nef image in CNX2 with the option checked, it opens properly as ProPhoto and when I save(still nef) after editing it doesn't embed ProPhoto as the color profile? Metadata still shows sRGB.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 21-Jan-11 09:30 PM
12826 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: "use this instead of embedded profile" applies or converts?"
In response to Reply # 2

San Jose, US

It should, When I load my images to my computer I use the built in transfer in the new NX2 and it sees that I want my default space to be ProPhoto and concerts my aRGB files to ProPhotoRGB. How are you converting your files? Perhaps you need to do a "Save As" step as if you just use SAVE it will save steps to the original file you opened. What options did you use during install?

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

deedee7 Registered since 25th Dec 2010Fri 21-Jan-11 10:15 PM
#4. "RE: "use this instead of embedded profile" applies or converts?"
In response to Reply # 3

PL

I don't remember what options I installed NX2 with. I tried the "save as" method to no avail. Still doesn't embed the color profile. As far as my work flow is concerned, I usually import thru LR3 because some of my work has to be done quickly and in considerable amounts, and as much as I love NX2 there's simply no way I could survive on NX2's slow pace and frequent crashes(i7,8GB RAM,SSD, win7). Regardless, if "use this instead of embedded profile" really CONVERTS to the specified color space, why am I having this problem? Should I reinstall?

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 22-Jan-11 07:26 AM
#5. "RE: "use this instead of embedded profile" applies or converts?"
In response to Reply # 4

San Jose, US

Are you setting a profile in LR3? I would try a reinstall, as your action just does not seem normal.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

deedee7 Registered since 25th Dec 2010Sat 22-Jan-11 11:26 AM
#6. "RE: "use this instead of embedded profile" applies or converts?"
In response to Reply # 5

PL

LR3 runs internal Melissa RGB profile(modified ProPhoto) and you can't change that on import. You can only choose color space when you export. I guess I'll try to reinstall and report back.

deedee7 Registered since 25th Dec 2010Sat 22-Jan-11 12:39 PM
#7. "RE: "use this instead of embedded profile" applies or converts?"
In response to Reply # 6

PL

OK, I've reinstalled 2.2.6. Firstly, I couldn't choose ProPhoto as my default space during install-it simply wasn't on the list of choices. I had to go to preferences and check "use this instead of embedded profile." Secondly, still no luck embeding ProPhoto profile with "save" or "save as" for .nef or jpg. Well, partially true for jpg- if I save as jpg("embed ICC profile" checked of course), Bridge DOES show ProPhoto in metadata while both CNX2 and VNX2 show whatever I chose in camera(Adobe RGB in my case) and windows viewer("details" tab) and opanda iexif 2 show "uncalibrated". As far as nikon transfer 2 is concerned, it seems that the program ignores the "embed ICC color profile during transfer" setting because both CNX2 and VNX2 show Adobe RGB (the color space set in my D700) even if I DON'T check the "embed" box. ASAIK, if you don't embed the ICC profile on import, programs usualy default to sRGB or read as "uncalibrated." I hope I've made this clear. Any suggestions?

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 22-Jan-11 03:19 PM
4281 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: "use this instead of embedded profile" applies or converts?"
In response to Reply # 7
Sat 22-Jan-11 03:28 PM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

I just checked and my photos behave the same as DeeDee7 (Dawid).

I ingest using Nikon Transfer, use Capture NX2 2.2.6 with the convert to ProPhoto option checked, edited the NEF, converted it to sRGB and saved as a jpg.

Both ViewNX2 2.03 and Capture NX2 both say Image Settings: Color Space: Adobe RGB. I am on a iMac.

Here is the photo, perhaps you can tell me what your EXIF reader thinks is its colour space. I'm pretty sure you'll see it IS sRGB not Adobe RGB as reported by Nikon software. The reason I say that is on my second monitor, the sRGB photo (attached below) is visibly different than a larger sized jpg (same photo) but not converted to sRGB. I've never understood the behaviour of my second monitor but I guess that comes in handy this time because I can see the colours differently.

Nikon software seems to be stubbornly reporting the colour space as shot in camera and does not report what colour space it was converted to?

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

deedee7 Registered since 25th Dec 2010Sat 22-Jan-11 03:44 PM
#9. "RE: "use this instead of embedded profile" applies or converts?"
In response to Reply # 8

PL

Hey, Steve! Thank you for your input. My findings on both the attached and pasted photo are identical:
cnx2 & vnx2 show Adobe RGB
bridge shows sRGB
windows viewer and opanda iexif 2 show Uncalibrated
I wonder what Bob will have to say about it.

mpappa Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2009Sat 22-Jan-11 04:27 PM
310 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: "use this instead of embedded profile" applies or converts?"
In response to Reply # 8
Sat 22-Jan-11 06:25 PM by mpappa

Doylestown, US

Steve,

This is interesting. I have the same situation as well. NX2 reports Adobe RGB even though I saved as ProPhoto. I use Picture Window Pro as my other editor, and when I opened your photo in PWP it reported sRGB as the color space. Additionally, when I saved a photo in ProPhoto using NX2, PWP reported the correct color space for that photo. I believe you're correct in that NX2 is reporting the color space as recorded in the camera, and not what is saved in NX2.

Regards,
Mike

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

nightcat Registered since 05th Mar 2006Sat 22-Jan-11 04:38 PM
1040 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: "use this instead of embedded profile" applies or converts?"
In response to Reply # 8

LaCrosse,WI, US

PhotoME says "uncalibrated" in the camera section, "adobergb" in the manufacturer notes section, and srgb in the icc profile section. This isn't limited to Nikon. A lot of software screw up the exif in regard to colorspace. Both reading and writing. As long as the icc profile is there and correct, I don't usually have a problem with displaying/printing my pics.

Kraig

"The wisest follow their own directions" -Euripides
"I thought there would be more elephants" -C. Columbus

deedee7 Registered since 25th Dec 2010Sat 22-Jan-11 04:51 PM
#12. "RE: "use this instead of embedded profile" applies or converts?"
In response to Reply # 11

PL

>PhotoME says "uncalibrated" in the camera section,
>"adobergb" in the manufacturer notes section, and
>srgb in the icc profile section. This isn't limited to Nikon.
>A lot of software screw up the exif in regard to colorspace.
>Both reading and writing. As long as the icc profile is there
>and correct, I don't usually have a problem with
>displaying/printing my pics.

Wow! Looks like PhotoME has it all! Too bad Nikon software doesn't show the "real" icc profile in metadata :/

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 23-Jan-11 08:29 PM
#13. "RE: "use this instead of embedded profile" applies or converts?"
In response to Reply # 8
Mon 24-Jan-11 06:15 AM by robsb

San Jose, US

I just checked the color profile of your image in VNX2 and CNX2 and Adobe Bridge. Bith Nikon products showed ARGB and Bridge showed sRGB. If you converted for WEB in Adobe, it will automatically convert to sRGB if it is checked. Was the original file ARGB? I have not done an extensive search to see where the EXIF data is stored for a conversion.

I just checked one of my own images which started as an ARGB, and was opened in my working space which is Pro Photo RGB. It showed a ARGB color space in CNX2. I looked at the original transfered image and it to showed AGRB as the color space. When I get a chance I will look at this further, but right now on my meds my head is a bit fuzzy..

EDIT:

Still fuzzy and not at my desktop 13 steps up, but I think the answer is this. If you don't check the box to convert your image toyour selected Default colorspace, CNX2 will use the embedded profile, in my case ARGB.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 23-Jan-11 11:31 PM
4281 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: "use this instead of embedded profile" applies or converts?"
In response to Reply # 13

Alberta, CA

Hi Bob,

This was an all Nikon workflow. Very much as you describe in your last paragraph.

Let me take this opportunity to wish you a speedy recovery. We all dearly value your contributions to this forum!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 24-Jan-11 06:22 AM
#15. "RE: "use this instead of embedded profile" applies or converts?"
In response to Reply # 14

San Jose, US

Steve thanks. I am recovering rapidly, but I am afraid that means they will only make me work harder or add more exercises after my checkup next week. I can do them, but between the workouts the fuzzy meds and the leg swelling that goes with this, it wips me. If I am lucky I get to sleep before my leg starts to hurt at night, as they are trying to have me start lowing the number of pills i take. I am supposed to be on a walker for 2 weeks, but to tell the truth the walker has not been needed most of the time since day 5. I do use it for safety, but often use a cane now which is the next step implement, but even there I often start walking with no aid because I forget to. I can't drive until I am off the Oxycoton, so I am motivated to get off them soon, but some level is needed to do the exercises and keep swelling down. Overall much better than I expected.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

deedee7 Registered since 25th Dec 2010Mon 24-Jan-11 07:36 AM
#16. "RE: "use this instead of embedded profile" applies or converts?"
In response to Reply # 15

PL

Bob, I'd also like to thank you for your contribution and wish you a speedy recovery.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 24-Jan-11 10:33 PM
#17. "RE: "use this instead of embedded profile" applies or converts?"
In response to Reply # 16

San Jose, US

Thanks Dawid, I wish I was up to snuff more so I could provide you better help.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

deedee7 Registered since 25th Dec 2010Tue 25-Jan-11 12:08 AM
#18. "RE: "use this instead of embedded profile" applies or converts?"
In response to Reply # 17

PL

Don't worry about nothing Bob-just take care of yourself.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #5102 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.