Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #5036
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX2 - Too many color profiles to choose from!" Previous topic | Next topic
deedee7 Registered since 25th Dec 2010Sun 16-Jan-11 01:53 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture NX2 - Too many color profiles to choose from!"

PL

When I want to apply/convert an image to a color profile there are too many(hundreds) in the list and it takes a while to scroll down - how can I delete these profiles?
Thank you.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 - Too many color profiles to choose fr...
nightcat
16th Jan 2011
deedee7
17th Jan 2011
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
17th Jan 2011
deedee7
17th Jan 2011
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
17th Jan 2011
LIGHTDOG
18th Jan 2011
18th Jan 2011
LIGHTDOG
18th Jan 2011
20th Jan 2011
nightcat
17th Jan 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
20th Jan 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
20th Jan 2011
deedee7
21st Jan 2011

nightcat Registered since 05th Mar 2006Sun 16-Jan-11 04:25 PM
1040 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Capture NX2 - Too many color profiles to choose from!"
In response to Reply # 0

LaCrosse,WI, US

I don't think you can delete them from the list in CNX. You could delete or organize them into folders on your harddrive. In Windows XP pro they are located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\color.

Kraig

"The wisest follow their own directions" -Euripides
"I thought there would be more elephants" -C. Columbus

deedee7 Registered since 25th Dec 2010Mon 17-Jan-11 07:22 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Capture NX2 - Too many color profiles to choose from!"
In response to Reply # 1

PL

>I don't think you can delete them from the list in CNX. You
>could delete or organize them into folders on your harddrive.
>In Windows XP pro they are located in
>C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\color.

Thank you. I did go into the C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\color (it's the same in Win 7) and deleted dozens of unnecessary Canon printer profiles but the 9 for my IP6700D printer. It was a hassle, because in the directory they don't go by the names like:Canon IP6700D PR1 or Canon IJ Color Profile 2005 only by codes eg. CNB80EBA - but I've managed to figure out which one's which Of course, I also left intact all the Nikon profiles and Adobe RGB, sRGB, ProPhoto and the profile for my monitor. The list is now a mile shorter

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 17-Jan-11 07:07 AM
13136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Capture NX2 - Too many color profiles to choose from!"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

DeeDee Just what are you trying to do? Normally you set color profiles of choice in preferences and id you don't choose that program will use the embedded profile in your image. It is something you normally do not need to touch but once.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

deedee7 Registered since 25th Dec 2010Mon 17-Jan-11 07:30 AM
#4. "RE: Capture NX2 - Too many color profiles to choose from!"
In response to Reply # 2

PL

Hello. What I'm trying to do is to take advantage of my new wide gamut monitor and start working with ProPhoto color space. Untill now, all NEF images have been imported into NX2 in sRGB but I'd like to convert them into ProPhoto. If that doesn't make much sens for you, I'd at least like to set up NX2 properly to work in ProPhoto. I don't use PS but I use LR3 which AFAIK, uses ProPhoto(with linear sRGB curve or something ;/)

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 17-Jan-11 09:03 PM
13136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Capture NX2 - Too many color profiles to choose from!"
In response to Reply # 4

San Jose, US

Craig and Dee Dee 7 I hit a bad key and my message got garbled. I Do not touch my colorprofile seting in Windows, as you don'tknow which onesmight be used by a program. What I was trying to say was Windows and CNX2 load standard sets of color profiles and they are there to be used by your programs as required.

All you need to do is go into edit /Preferences/color manageent and set Pro photo as the default color spaceif that is what you want the default edit space to be,then set your others as required. Since any edit program can apply or convert any color space you just need to make sure those color spaces are in your Windows list so you can select them as needed. So for example if you are converting sRBG to ProPhoto RBG both profiles need to be in the list. If you did not bring them over as RAW files you will not be able to get an sRGB to a full proPhoto RGB space because you would have thrown away the data already.

So my advice is don't muck with color profiles as you never know when you may be trying to open an image that uses one of the spaces you deleted.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

LIGHTDOG Registered since 18th Nov 2007Tue 18-Jan-11 01:00 AM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Capture NX2 - Too many color profiles to choose from!"
In response to Reply # 6

Cowichan Bay, CA

Bob., I think maybe you are forgetting that the profile list is constantly in use if one is soft proofing and/or managing printing profiles from CNX.It can get extremely long and cluttered.It's no fun to be constantly searching for the profile required.

For example I have had several dozen profiles for the various papers I have tested. So it is very useful to delete profiles not in use, as deedee did. Just make sure you know what it is you are deleting!

Dave

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 18-Jan-11 05:13 AM
#8. "RE: Capture NX2 - Too many color profiles to choose from!"
In response to Reply # 7

San Jose, US

In a search maybe, but if you have defined profiles in preferences, these are the ones used. it is not searching through the list. I have never seen any evidence of a slowdown due to color profiles, and I have many special ones in my system. It is also a good time to correct an error I made unintentionally. If you are working in JPEg and have an image in sRGB you will see no improvement in Pro Photo RGB because the data is gone. No Nikon that I know of today has a shooting profile bigger than ARGB. But since RAW has no profile, you can assign any profile to it, you just won't see it on the screen, as the best of the monitors can not display the entire Pro Photo RGB space..

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

LIGHTDOG Registered since 18th Nov 2007Tue 18-Jan-11 05:36 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Capture NX2 - Too many color profiles to choose from!"
In response to Reply # 8

Cowichan Bay, CA

Bob,we are talking about different things.

In "preferences" you are choosing ONE profile from the C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\color file to determine the the colour space in which you wish to operate.

For soft proofing and printer colour management it is necessary to access the SAME file, for every picture edited,to choose the appropriate paper profile. It is therefore advantageous to keep that file as tidy as possible so you can easily find the profile you want.

Dave

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 20-Jan-11 12:15 AM
#10. "RE: Capture NX2 - Too many color profiles to choose from!"
In response to Reply # 9

San Jose, US

Yes we are Paper Profiles are still color management profiles but they are not display profiles like sRGB, etc. Every piece of hardware on your system that uses or displays color like your printer, scanner and monitor have associated profiles so that you can match colors. Your printer has the added complexity of paper choice which could effect the color management of output, so will scanner profiles if you have the capability of creating them. If you are using different papers, i agree that list could get long and see no problems with editing the list to remove profiles you will not use.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

nightcat Registered since 05th Mar 2006Mon 17-Jan-11 04:43 PM
1040 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Capture NX2 - Too many color profiles to choose from!"
In response to Reply # 2

LaCrosse,WI, US

Hi Bob,

I had trouble figuring out what you're saying. I think you mean that you configure settings files for the profiles you use, then you only have to load that setting and not have to dig through the profiles. So you could have a "web" setting that converts the pic to srgb.

Oh, I read your post again and I think you meant the "use instead of embedded" setting. I have that set and I still need to change profiles sometimes. So having a settings file would be a good idea.

Kraig

"The wisest follow their own directions" -Euripides
"I thought there would be more elephants" -C. Columbus

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Thu 20-Jan-11 02:25 AM
4424 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Capture NX2 - Too many color profiles to choose from!"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

Sorry to bother you guys but I had ProPhoto RGB on my iMac 24" which I handed down to wifey when her windows machine went kaput. So I gave her that machine and I have a new iMac 27" but I can't find what directory on my old machine I put this color profile. It was not straightforward when I got ProPhoto originally for my iMac 24" - at the direction of Nikonians I went to an obscure Internet URL and "got" the profile but it was not straightforward and you folks had to steer me through some hurdles with that URL.

Because of difficulties I had at the URL (which I no longer have a record of) I would prefer to copy it from my existing iMac - can anyone tell me how to find it (searching for ProPhoto finds no results even though on that machine it is my default profile in Capture NX2)?

Thanks very much!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Thu 20-Jan-11 03:20 AM
4424 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Capture NX2 - Too many color profiles to choose from!"
In response to Reply # 11

Alberta, CA

>Sorry to bother you guys but I had ProPhoto RGB on my iMac
>24" which I handed down to wifey when her windows machine
>went kaput. So I gave her that machine and I have a new iMac
>27" but I can't find what directory on my old machine I
>put this color profile.
> I would prefer to copy it from my existing
>iMac - can anyone tell me how to find it (searching for
>ProPhoto finds no results even though on that machine it is my
>default profile in Capture NX2)?
>

OK I found it! It was in root/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Nikon/ProPhoto.icc

Tiny little file - only 4K in size.

As an aside this proves there is something wrong with the search function on my iMac 24" since it could not find the file (when searched via the Finder).

On my iMac 27", now that I have copied the file over, the Finder finds it immediately. If anyone has any advice on why the finder does not work on my iMac 24" I would appreciate it - it could be user error I Search "This Mac" and neither the "Contents" nor "File Name" buttons find it.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

deedee7 Registered since 25th Dec 2010Fri 21-Jan-11 04:31 AM
#13. "RE: Capture NX2 - Too many color profiles to choose from!"
In response to Reply # 12

PL

Thank you everybody! I posted another question in a new thread.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #5036 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.