Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #5023
View in linear mode

Subject: "NX2, View NX" Previous topic | Next topic
photomia Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2011Sat 15-Jan-11 02:58 PM
161 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NX2, View NX"
Sat 15-Jan-11 04:06 PM by Asgard

MD, US

Forgive cryptic msg. and no caps. typing one-handed. hand surgery 2 days ago. joined nikonians 10 minutes ago. interested in opinions on nx2 with regards to more accurate white balance than photoshop and view nx for cataloging. in other words is it worth the money and the learning curve. thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: NX2, View NX
Asgard Administrator
15th Jan 2011
photomia Silver Member
15th Jan 2011
Robp Gold Member
15th Jan 2011
photomia Silver Member
15th Jan 2011
Robp Gold Member
16th Jan 2011
photomia Silver Member
16th Jan 2011
photomia Silver Member
17th Jan 2011
nightcat
15th Jan 2011
photomia Silver Member
15th Jan 2011
nightcat
16th Jan 2011
Robp Gold Member
17th Jan 2011
ericbowles Moderator
17th Jan 2011
photomia Silver Member
17th Jan 2011

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Sat 15-Jan-11 04:11 PM
50025 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NX2, View NX"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Hi Patricia,

First I want you to welcome to Nikonians

Try the Trial Version of NX2. You can Download it from Nikon USA.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

photomia Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2011Sat 15-Jan-11 06:34 PM
161 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: NX2, View NX"
In response to Reply # 1

MD, US

thank you for the welcome - and i will definitely try the trial version.

first, i need a Nikonian etiquette lesson - can i "reply all" if i get more than one response?

here's an example of why i asked the color question. when i open my images in adobe bridge they have a different color cast then when i originally download from my camera. i was told that i would get more accurate color with capture nx because it is specific to nikon. when i think about it, it makes sense, but i thought i would like to hear what other users think.

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Sat 15-Jan-11 04:20 PM
951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: NX2, View NX"
In response to Reply # 0

Gainesville, US

Welcome to Nikonians Patricia.

I do not think that White Balance calculations, alone, are any more accurate in either choice as long as you are using the latest versions of the software, particularly ACR 6.3 with CS5 or 5.7 with CS4. The interface to the setting point is different, but results are similar.

ViewNX 2 has limited editing capabilities compared to Capture NX 2, but it is still remarkably good. It does have the full White Balance adjustment and it is free, so why don't you just give it a try. You have to put it into editing mode by selecting that interface near the top left of the initial display. It may be downloaded from http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61.

Hope your surgery heals quickly and successfully!

Rob Puller
My Nikonians gallery

photomia Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2011Sat 15-Jan-11 06:37 PM
#5. "RE: NX2, View NX"
In response to Reply # 2

MD, US

thank you for the welcome - and the good wishes for my hand.

first, i need a Nikonian etiquette lesson - can i "reply all" if i get more than one response?

here's an example of why i asked the color question. when i open my images in adobe bridge they have a different color cast then when i originally download from my camera. i was told that i would get more accurate color with capture nx because it is specific to nikon. when i think about it, it makes sense, but i thought i would like to hear what other users think.

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Sun 16-Jan-11 03:40 AM
951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: NX2, View NX"
In response to Reply # 5
Sun 16-Jan-11 03:47 AM by Robp

Gainesville, US

>first, i need a Nikonian etiquette lesson - can i "reply
>all" if i get more than one response?

No, but you can reply to one post and include comment for others, e.g., "Thanks guys" or "Thanks Gerold and Kraig" or "Responses #2 and 3 talk about spaghetti but I need to know about beans". Everyone? pretty much reads all of the responses in a thread.

>here's an example of why i asked the color question. when i
>open my images in adobe bridge they have a different color
>cast then when i originally download from my camera. i was
>told that i would get more accurate color with capture nx
>because it is specific to nikon. when i think about it, it
>makes sense, but i thought i would like to hear what other
>users think.

Nikon uses proprietary in-camera editing associated with the picture control settings like Landscape, Portrait and Vivid. All of them apply differing amounts of sharpening and some adjustments to hue, saturation or whatever they chose. This "pre-processing" is displayed accurately only by Nikon software. The RAW data is the image that's being modified by these editing instructions which are included in the NEF file. Adobe, and other, software operates on the same RAW data that CNX operates upon, thus the colors are not "more accurate"; they are just edited as Nikon has suggested. Current versions of Adobe Camera Raw (provided with CS5 and LR3) provide emulations of these picture control settings which are pretty accurate.

This explanation is further complicated by the fact that a Nikon camera also produces a small JPG containing the edits for use in previewing. The edits are "baked-into" the JPG, so some viewers (including Bridge, I think) see that image in their previews, but when they are expanded to view the RAW image the edits are not there.

The various workarounds that Apple, Microsoft and software vendors have implemented essentially guarantee that you'll see some different renditions of your image and this can be further complicated by choosing different color space profiles (sRGB, aRGB, ProPhoto RGB, etc.) in different editors.

Just as a step towards understanding this nonsense, try duplicating one of your RAW (NEF) images and open one in VNX2 (free) or CNX2 and the other in CS5 (which should automatically cause it to open in ACR). You can open both programs at the same time so that you can compare images on the screen. Set the color space profile in Preferences for both programs to the same one, e.g., aRGB. Choose the same Picture Control setting in each program and compare the images. You should see only a very small difference in the two and both should be of acceptable quality.

The bottom line is that there is no real color cast issue between the programs; you should choose to use the one that most readily meets your editing needs.

My summary of this (not shared by everyone) is that CNX2 is easier to use and equally as good as CS5 when doing similar edits; CNX2 provides a little "head-start" with it's use of in-camera edits, but CS5 provides additional editing capability (if needed) with the ability to use LAB mode (rarely required by most) and to create panoramas and HDR images.

Rob Puller
My Nikonians gallery

photomia Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2011Sun 16-Jan-11 03:46 AM
#8. "RE: NX2, View NX"
In response to Reply # 7

MD, US

thanks, Rob, for the 'etiquette' hints and for the information. now i have to try to digest it!

photomia Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2011Mon 17-Jan-11 11:21 AM
#12. "RE: NX2, View NX"
In response to Reply # 7

MD, US

thanks to everyone who responded to my question about cnx2. i can see that i have a lot to learn about it. many things you mentioned are totally new to me since i have been using photoshop for so long. speaking of photoshop, i spent about 6 hours yesterday cleaning up my files to make more room on my hard drive and back-ups. figured this was a good use of my time while i am typing one-handed! on time machine i cleared our 126 GB at one point. then i checked again and discovered i had only 11.93 GB remaining!! i then noticed that in every file i checked, in addition to the image icons, there are also numerous icons that look like a piece of paper 'dog eared' at the upper right corner. there is also a 'scroll'-looking thing and the word TEXT at the bottom! each one uses minimal KB, but combined...!! as soon as i can this morning i am calling adobe. any thoughts??

nightcat Registered since 05th Mar 2006Sat 15-Jan-11 05:51 PM
1040 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: NX2, View NX"
In response to Reply # 0

LaCrosse,WI, US

where CNX shines in regard to WB is in correcting color casts caused by different light sources. Neutral control points are interactive and work like magic in correcting challenging lighting conditions.
Plus, color control points can easily fix very localized problems.

Kraig

"The wisest follow their own directions" -Euripides
"I thought there would be more elephants" -C. Columbus

photomia Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2011Sat 15-Jan-11 06:44 PM
#6. "RE: NX2, View NX"
In response to Reply # 3

MD, US

thank you for your response.

re your remark about correcting color casts caused by different light sources - will CNX help in situations where there is mixed lighting in a single image, specifically when shooting at twilight (some daylight, incandescent and perhaps sodium vapor!) i never know what white balance to use!

nightcat Registered since 05th Mar 2006Sun 16-Jan-11 03:52 PM
1040 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: NX2, View NX"
In response to Reply # 6

LaCrosse,WI, US

Here is an example of how I corrected a picture for someone using CNX2. I always shoot RAW and use auto WB. I can decide what WB to use when I'm in post. Others would disagree, and I respect that. It's just the way I prefer to work.

Kraig

"The wisest follow their own directions" -Euripides
"I thought there would be more elephants" -C. Columbus

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Mon 17-Jan-11 01:48 AM
#10. "RE: NX2, View NX"
In response to Reply # 9

Gainesville, US

Kraig,

In general, I think you can do almost everything that can be done in CNX2 in CS5 although it may be a little more difficult. In this case, however, I think you have pointed out a superior operation that can probably only be done in CNX2. Your use of multiple White Point (Neutral Point) corrections is inspired and your presentation of the technique is very well done (makes me wish Annotate was available for the Mac).

Thanks for showing that to us with your reference pointer.

Rob Puller
My Nikonians gallery

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 17-Jan-11 10:36 AM
8476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: NX2, View NX"
In response to Reply # 6
Mon 17-Jan-11 11:33 AM by ericbowles

Atlanta, US

One other thing to keep in mind when comparing Nikon products with other programs is that white balance is not treated exactly the same across all software programs. Even the same color temperature may be somewhat different comparing Nikon with Adobe products. And Daylight on one is not exactly the same as Daylight on another.

I use the Nikon View NX2 and Capture NX2 for 99% of my editing. With RAW images you have a great deal of control over the final image. I also use selective editing for areas I want to emphasize or deemphasize.

I like Auto White balance for situations where I have varied lighting conditions. But for landscape and nature photogrpahy my default setting is Daylight. I like the Daylight setting for most images and it tends to be a bit more predictable for sunrises, sunsets, and shadows.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

photomia Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2011Mon 17-Jan-11 11:35 AM
#13. "RE: NX2, View NX"
In response to Reply # 11

MD, US

thank you eric. what you said about the treatment of wb makes a lot of sense. yours and the other responses convinced me to go with cnx, (i have to read up on what cnx does and what view nx does.) thanks also for the info on auto wb for varied light conditions. in the past month i have done a lot of shooting pre-sunrise and post-sunset in city-scape situations and was always questioning my wb choice. (some light in the sky, incandescent in shop windows, sodium vapor street lights...!)

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #5023 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.