nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #4971
View in linear mode

Subject: "CNX2 & Color Efex 3 bundle" Previous topic | Next topic
Steve Moore   Rock Hill, US  Registered since 25th Nov 2010 Tue 11-Jan-11 04:28 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"CNX2 & Color Efex 3 bundle"

Thinking about buying the CNX2/CE3 bundle..http://www.niksoftware.com/cepnx/usa/entry.php?view=intro/cepnxbundle.shtml
Where should I buy from? The HDR Efex and others can be added later, correct? What are your thoughts on this?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: CNX2 & Color Efex 3 bundle nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography
11th Jan 2011
Reply message RE: CNX2 & Color Efex 3 bundle gkaiseril Gold Member
11th Jan 2011
Reply message RE: CNX2 & Color Efex 3 bundle Steve Moore
11th Jan 2011
     Reply message RE: CNX2 & Color Efex 3 bundle nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography
11th Jan 2011
Reply message RE: CNX2 & Color Efex 3 bundle Erika Jordaan
12th Jan 2011
Reply message RE: CNX2 & Color Efex 3 bundle KnightPhoto Gold Member
12th Jan 2011
Reply message RE: CNX2 & Color Efex 3 bundle jlrsn
13th Jan 2011
     Reply message RE: CNX2 & Color Efex 3 bundle Steve Moore
13th Jan 2011
          Reply message RE: CNX2 & Color Efex 3 bundle Ciderfish Silver Member
13th Jan 2011
13th Jan 2011
13th Jan 2011
13th Jan 2011
13th Jan 2011
                              Reply message RE: Use of Color Efex 3 bundle Erika Jordaan
14th Jan 2011
                                   Reply message RE: Use of Color Efex 3 bundle jlrsn
14th Jan 2011
                                   Reply message RE: Use of Color Efex 3 bundle KnightPhoto Gold Member
14th Jan 2011
                                   Reply message RE: Use of Color Efex 3 bundle jlrsn
14th Jan 2011
                                   Reply message RE: Use of Color Efex 3 bundle Ciderfish Silver Member
14th Jan 2011
                                   Reply message RE: Use of Color Efex 3 bundle KnightPhoto Gold Member
15th Jan 2011
                                   Reply message RE: Use of Color Efex 3 bundle Freewheeler10
14th Jan 2011

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography   Knoxville, US  Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006 Tue 11-Jan-11 07:09 PM
6895 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: CNX2 & Color Efex 3 bundle"
In response to Reply # 0

Where? Wherever you get the best price.

No, only Color Efex Pro for NX will integrate with NX. No other Nik tool will integrate with NX.

I'd recommend downloading NX and use the 60 day trial to see if you like it. I think Color Efex Pro for NX has a 15 day trial.

gkaiseril Gold Member  Chicago, US  Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005 Tue 11-Jan-11 07:51 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: CNX2 & Color Efex 3 bundle"
In response to Reply # 1

It maybe possible to run the other Nik products through the 'Open with..." option, but you will be editing a Tiff (the NEF cooked with the camera settings and edited changes), so you can not go back and edit the NEF with any changes made with the Nik software.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Steve Moore   Rock Hill, US  Registered since 25th Nov 2010 Tue 11-Jan-11 08:30 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: CNX2 & Color Efex 3 bundle"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks, guys....I've tried a few attempts to download the 60 day trial, but after it loads it ask for the key codes. I tried loading previous versions, but no luck.

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography   Knoxville, US  Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006 Tue 11-Jan-11 10:20 PM
6895 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: CNX2 & Color Efex 3 bundle"
In response to Reply # 3

Most likely you had the trial installed once before so you can't do it again.

Erika Jordaan   Montagu, ZA  Registered since 19th Dec 2009 Wed 12-Jan-11 03:22 PM
140 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: CNX2 & Color Efex 3 bundle"
In response to Reply # 1

>Where? Wherever you get the best price.

Just one thing: Don't buy from Imagemixer!!!

KnightPhoto Gold Member  Alberta, CA  Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006 Wed 12-Jan-11 03:25 PM
4575 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: CNX2 & Color Efex 3 bundle"
In response to Reply # 0

I noticed that super deal the other day on the Nik website. Effectively you are only paying $120 for Color Efex Pro.

I am finally going to pull the pin on EFEX and because I am buying separately EFEX is going to cost me $180.

Capture NX2 BTW is a great program IMHO. Been using it 4 years now and am still learning additional powerful features here in this forum.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

jlrsn   Up at 8,000' in the Rockies, US  Registered since 16th Jan 2008 Thu 13-Jan-11 07:20 AM
76 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: CNX2 & Color Efex 3 bundle"
In response to Reply # 6

I’ve been using Nikon CNX2 with Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0 for Capture NX2 Complete Edition with 75 Filters for years. I’ve had absolutely no problems with the above setup.
Good luck,
Jim

Steve Moore   Rock Hill, US  Registered since 25th Nov 2010 Thu 13-Jan-11 05:14 PM
#8. "RE: CNX2 & Color Efex 3 bundle"
In response to Reply # 7

Thank you guys a bunch for all of the replies!

Ciderfish Silver Member  UK  Nikonian since 12th Aug 2008 Thu 13-Jan-11 06:22 PM
115 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: CNX2 & Color Efex 3 bundle"
In response to Reply # 8

I'm a big fan of Color Efex Pro 3, the power (couldn't think of a better word!) of its filters and the way it seamlessly integrates with NX2.

Does the bundle include the 'complete' edition. For me this is a must. My most used filters are only available in the full version (pro contrast, tonal contrast, dynamic skin softener etc.)

I believe the complete edition has 52 filters (the standard 35).

Kevin
A Nikonian in the West Country (England)

Ciderfish Silver Member  UK  Nikonian since 12th Aug 2008 Thu 13-Jan-11 06:24 PM
115 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: CNX2 & Color Efex 3 bundle"
In response to Reply # 9

Just checked myself, it is the complete edition. All good

Kevin

jlrsn   Up at 8,000' in the Rockies, US  Registered since 16th Jan 2008 Thu 13-Jan-11 07:10 PM
76 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: CNX2 & Color Efex 3 bundle"
In response to Reply # 9

Hi Kevin,
When I received my Color Efex Pro 3 Complete Edition for CNX2 it was advertised as having 75 filters. I've never counted them. I agree about the way it seamlessly integrates with NX2. My Color Efex Pro 3 Complete Edition for CS5 has 52 filters. I actually like the integration of the filters with CNX2 better than with CS5.
Jim

Ciderfish Silver Member  UK  Nikonian since 12th Aug 2008 Thu 13-Jan-11 07:49 PM
#12. "RE: CNX2 & Color Efex 3 bundle"
In response to Reply # 11

Hi Jim

I counted them, or at least I did when you said you had 75. I thought I was missing out

I also use Photoshop with various plug ins, and nothing comes close to the way Color Efex works within NX2 it just becomes a part of it. It's not like a plug in at all.

If Nikon and NIK software got their heads together and allowed for all NIK plug ins to integrate with NX3 say , that would work for me. That and sorting the memory management issues, and perhaps a little bit more pixel editing (just want a workable clone tool and watermarking). Not a lot to ask

Am I getting off track?

Kevin

jlrsn   Up at 8,000' in the Rockies, US  Registered since 16th Jan 2008 Thu 13-Jan-11 11:20 PM
#13. "RE: CNX2 & Color Efex 3 bundle"
In response to Reply # 12

Kevin,
I agree with you completely and I stand corrected in that I also counted the Filters in my copy of Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0 Complete Edition for Capture NX2 and was confused as I remembered 75 filters.

I then pulled my earlier receipt for Nik Color Efex Pro 2.0 for Capture NX Complete Edition and saw that the older Nik Color Efex Pro 2.0 showed "With 75 traditional and stylistic photographic filters".

I then went into my Users Guide for Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0 Capture NX2 and read it for the "first time". They evidently consolidated some filters and the following are the amount of the "effects" of some but not all of the Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0 Filters for CNX2:

B/W Conversion (3 Effects)
Bi-Color Filters (20 Effects)
Classical Soft Focus (6 Effects)
Colorize (6 Effects)
Cross Processing (19 Effects)
Cross Balance (6 Effects)
Detail Stylizer (18 Effects)
Film Effects (33 Effects)
Flux (5 Effects)
Graduated Filters (16 Effects)
Infrared Film (9 Effects)
Ink (11 Effects)
Midnight (5 Effects)
Monday Morning 5 Effects)
Old Photo (12 Effects)
Paper Toner (8 Effects)
Pastel (3 Effects)
Photo Stylizer (18 Effects)
Reflector Effects 3 Effects)
Saturation Stylizer (7 Effects)
Solarization (12 Effects)
Vignette Blur (4 Effects)

Every "user" of Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0 Capture NX2 "should read it"!! I learned alot just reading it. The fact that I have been using it for years shows how easy they are to use!!

Take care,
Jim
A Nikonian up at 8,000' in the Rocky Mountains

Erika Jordaan   Montagu, ZA  Registered since 19th Dec 2009 Fri 14-Jan-11 04:21 AM
140 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Use of Color Efex 3 bundle"
In response to Reply # 13

It would be interesting to know which filters / effects users use most. Any replies?
Erika Jordaan

jlrsn   Up at 8,000' in the Rockies, US  Registered since 16th Jan 2008 Fri 14-Jan-11 07:11 AM
#15. "RE: Use of Color Efex 3 bundle"
In response to Reply # 14

Hi Erika,
I usually don't comment on most forums but even though I've had different versions of the Color Efex Pro over the years I actually learned a lot more today from the Owner's Guide after reading it for the first time.

In answer to your question the first Filters that I started to use were the Midnight Filters followed up by Glamour Glow and then I experimented with others. Now that I started to read the owner's manual I'm looking forward to use others quite a bit more. What you might want to do is to go to the Nik Website where they have tutorials in the form of video movies. You can also save them to your computer for future viewing.
Good luck,

Jim

KnightPhoto Gold Member  Alberta, CA  Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006 Fri 14-Jan-11 07:59 AM
4575 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Use of Color Efex 3 bundle"
In response to Reply # 15

I am buying the package with the Tonal Contrast filer being a big goal - I have seen some very nice work with it.

I also like the idea of Glamour Glow, thanks for the tip.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

jlrsn   Up at 8,000' in the Rockies, US  Registered since 16th Jan 2008 Fri 14-Jan-11 04:45 PM
#19. "RE: Use of Color Efex 3 bundle"
In response to Reply # 15
Fri 14-Jan-11 04:51 PM by jlrsn

Reading the Owner's Guide for Color Efex Pro I came across something that has been discussed in the past plus info relating to upgrading older nef files that were processed with Nik Color Efex Pro 2.0:

Capture NX 2 is a fully non-destructive image editing application, ensuring the maximum level of flexibility when working with enhancements. Color Efex Pro filters take advantage of this nondestructive functionality, ensuring that the image is always processed with the highest quality as well as ensuring that the enhancements can always be removed or adjusted, even after the
image is saved and closed.

The Color Efex Pro 3.0 NEF Update Tool is used to convert the Color Efex Pro 2.0 filters applied within the NEF file into the corresponding Color Efex Pro 3.0 filters with equivalent filter settings.

Opening an NEF file that contained a Nik Color Efex Pro 2.0 for Capture NX filter when Color Efex Pro 3.0 for Capture NX 2 is installed, the image is processed and displayed with the exact same enhancement and quality, using the same filter algorithms. The filter however cannot be adjusted and can only be turned on and off, or deleted. You have to use the Color Efex Pro NEF Update Tool first.

The above makes me wonder what I missed by not fully reading Owner's Manuals/Guides to many things in the past!!

Jim

Ciderfish Silver Member  UK  Nikonian since 12th Aug 2008 Fri 14-Jan-11 11:20 AM
#17. "RE: Use of Color Efex 3 bundle"

Erika

A CEP3 filter I use in all my photos currently is Vignette. Perhaps unusually I use it to create a border in the image.

It can be applied in any colour, size and opacity, with variable shapes and transitions. It can also be centred anywhere in the photo (to create a bigger border at the bottom, for instance).

For me this avoids the hassle of having to open the file in PS to create a border, and saved as an adjustment makes it quick to apply/adapt.

An example of a border created using CEP3 Vignette...

Kevin

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

KnightPhoto Gold Member  Alberta, CA  Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006 Sat 15-Jan-11 04:28 AM
#20. "RE: Use of Color Efex 3 bundle"
In response to Reply # 17

Great tip Kevin.

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Freewheeler10   Englewood, US  Registered since 17th Apr 2008 Fri 14-Jan-11 01:45 PM
1105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Use of Color Efex 3 bundle"

Under the Traditional Set:
Brilliance/Warmth, Pro Contrast, Vignette and Vignette Blur,
Darken/Lighten Center, Graduated Fog, Contrast/Color Range.

Under the Stylizing Set: Foliage, Glamour Glow, Indian Summer,
Old Photo, and Polaroid Transfer.

___Gary
Click on image to view larger version
http://gallery.me.com/freewheeler
http://freewheeler10.blogspot.com/

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #4971 Previous topic | Next topic