Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #4855
View in linear mode

Subject: "CNX2 won't save my files" Previous topic | Next topic
JerryLoSardo Gold Member Charter MemberSat 08-Jan-11 03:07 AM
909 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"CNX2 won't save my files"

Frederick, US

I'm in the middle of post processing some images. CNX2 worked just fine for about the first 3, but starting with about the fourth image, I made my adjustments, told CNX2 to save, I saw the progres bar as it saved, but then when I go back to the image, it's the original; nothing was retained from my session. Has this happened to anyone?

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: CNX2 won't save my files
robsb Platinum Member
08th Jan 2011
JerryLoSardo Gold Member
08th Jan 2011
jrp Administrator
08th Jan 2011
JerryLoSardo Gold Member
08th Jan 2011
nrothschild Silver Member
08th Jan 2011
JerryLoSardo Gold Member
08th Jan 2011
Freewheeler10
08th Jan 2011
          Reply message RE: CNX2 sometimes hangs up unable to save
Erika Jordaan
09th Jan 2011
sevtcard Silver Member
09th Jan 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
09th Jan 2011
Erika Jordaan
10th Jan 2011
nrothschild Silver Member
10th Jan 2011
Erika Jordaan
11th Jan 2011
cliddell Silver Member
11th Jan 2011

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 08-Jan-11 03:13 AM
12819 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: CNX2 won't save my files"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

This has happened to some people. Try this Go into preferences, Cache Setting and set the Cache to 2 GB or less or even zero.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

JerryLoSardo Gold Member Charter MemberSat 08-Jan-11 03:20 AM
909 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: CNX2 won't save my files"
In response to Reply # 1

Frederick, US

Bob, thanks. My cache settings were set correctly; I figured out the problem: me. Please disregard, I'm an idiot.

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 08-Jan-11 05:52 AM
34634 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: CNX2 won't save my files"
In response to Reply # 2
Sat 08-Jan-11 05:53 AM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Can you tell us what it was?
It may help others, including me

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

JerryLoSardo Gold Member Charter MemberSat 08-Jan-11 11:39 AM
#4. "RE: CNX2 won't save my files"
In response to Reply # 3

Frederick, US

JRP,
As you probably know (at least this happens on my computer), NX2 has this wierd habit of saving your current image to the folder that you were last saving to during your last session. For example, if I saved images to folder X during a session, quit the application, came back a few hours later, then opened folder Y to load another image for processing, processed the image, then hit the "save" button, CNX2 would save that image to folder X instead of folder Y (I hope this is making sense). So I always have to remember to hit the "save as" command and then choose the correct folder. Needless to say, I forgot to do this last night. As I said, totally my fault.

Maybe there's a preference setting that I can configure?

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Sat 08-Jan-11 01:11 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: CNX2 won't save my files"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Jerry,

You said "...then hit the "save" button, CNX2 would save that image to folder X instead of folder Y...." and then discussed picking the right folder using "Save As...".

If you really did hit the "Save" button or clicked "File|Save" from the menu and CNX2 saved the file elsewhere such that it did not overlay the file in the location it was opened from (or last saved as during the current session) then I would consider that a bug. I've never seen CNX2 do that. (Is there a "Save Button" in CNX2? I don't have one)

If, however, you really did a "Save As" or previously did a Save As during the edits for the current image then CNX2 is doing what it was intended to do. Doing a "Save As" changes the expected target location of a subsequent "Save" to the last saved location, as per convention.

By long time universal convention, a "Save" should overlay the file where it was opened from or last saved. A "Save As" is sort of a fielders choice, in my experience, because different apps do different things and I don't think there is a "convention" there although CNX2 is arguably in the minority. Some (most?) apps default the Save As location to the original file folder but some, like CNX2, remember the last Saved As location, as CNX2 does. In particular PhotoShop used the image's current folder as a default and there lies a lot of confusion for me since I may be working both apps simultaneously and have to remember the different behavior.

I'm not sure I like what CNX2 does but I (somewhat reluctantly) respect it as a valid strategy. I suspect their thinking is that when you do a Save As you are probably saving the image in a final form (maybe a JPG or TIF from the original NEF) and you have a standard output folder like "8x10 Prints That Need Printing". It would be better if CNX2 had a preference setting to select the desired Save As default location strategy, especially since it is not terribly common as a hard coded default.

One of the reasons I don't like CNX2's strategy for Save As is that in the heat of battle I often do a Save As without noting the target folder before clicking OK, and then while the thermometer is running down the save operation I realize I have no clue where I just saved the file . That's arguably user error but I've been doing that on occasion for years . And I suspect that is what happened to you.

If I lost track of the location, after the save as completes I then click File|Save As again, note the target folder, and then click cancel to abort the Save As. Even easier, you can click File|Open Recent and note the location. After a Save As, Open Recent immediately places the file name and folder on the topmost entry of recent files.

I went into this because your statements suggest you may be confusing "Save" with "Save As", either in your actual work flow or in how you described your work flow here.

my Nikonians gallery.

JerryLoSardo Gold Member Charter MemberSat 08-Jan-11 07:40 PM
#7. "RE: CNX2 won't save my files"
In response to Reply # 5
Sat 08-Jan-11 07:41 PM by JerryLoSardo

Frederick, US

Hi Neil,
Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my Post #4. First, I should have stated that I clicked "file-save as", not "hit the save button".
Second: You now have me second-guessing myself as to what I actually did last night. I have to go back and do more research.
At any rate, thank you for the tip about using File-Open Recent. That should do the trick.
Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Sat 08-Jan-11 01:32 PM
1105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: CNX2 won't save my files"
In response to Reply # 2

Englewood, US

>Bob, thanks. My cache settings were set correctly; I figured
>out the problem: me. Please disregard, I'm an idiot.
>
>Jerry LoSardo
>Frederick, Maryland

Well, we have all done it, some of us many many times. I always thought
it was better to find out my operator errors in the privacy of my home,
rather than out in the field, but sometimes I make a real whopper of
a mistake and just have to share. Happy Shooting!

___Gary

http://gallery.me.com/freewheeler
http://freewheeler10.blogspot.com/

Erika Jordaan Registered since 19th Dec 2009Sun 09-Jan-11 07:26 AM
140 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: CNX2 sometimes hangs up unable to save"
In response to Reply # 6

Montagu, ZA

Sometimes after working vor a while, I find that CNX hangs up right when I want to save and then I get the message "unable to save file" Would changing the cache settings help for this problem? It is usually when I made a stack of changes to an image!

Erika

sevtcard Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009Sun 09-Jan-11 11:10 AM
328 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: CNX2 sometimes hangs up unable to save"
In response to Reply # 8
Sun 09-Jan-11 11:11 AM by sevtcard

Brattleboro, US

changing the cache to <2gb helps (0 seems even better) but is no cure...cnx2 has significant memory issues - the problem is especially bad if you use the brush a lot to add or subtract an effect (this is something i do quite a bit). there has been much discussion on this topic over the last 2 years in this forum. the bottom line is that the only solution will be the long hoped-for upgrade of cnx2 to cnx3 (hopefully with these issues addressed)...
good luck
mark
www.broadwallphotography.com

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 09-Jan-11 08:25 PM
4281 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: CNX2 sometimes hangs up unable to save"
In response to Reply # 9

Alberta, CA

>changing the cache to <2gb helps (0 seems even better) but
>is no cure...cnx2 has significant memory issues - the problem
>is especially bad if you use the brush a lot to add or
>subtract an effect (this is something i do quite a bit).
>there has been much discussion on this topic over the last 2
>years in this forum. the bottom line is that the only
>solution will be the long hoped-for upgrade of cnx2 to cnx3
>(hopefully with these issues addressed)...
>good luck
>mark
>www.broadwallphotography.com

I have reduced my cache now to 2GB (from 25Gb) - thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.

On my machine I tend to ONLY get the error when I hit SAVE and while it is saving I change focus over to my web browser (usually to read Nikonians ).

So now I AVOID changing focus while the SAVE operation is in progress. That seems to eliminate the problem for me.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Erika Jordaan Registered since 19th Dec 2009Mon 10-Jan-11 11:41 AM
140 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: CNX2 sometimes hangs up unable to save"
In response to Reply # 10

Montagu, ZA

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I have reduced my cache and will see if that helps. I have also learned to save midway if I do a lot of PP to an image, which is luckily not that often.

Erika Jordaan

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Mon 10-Jan-11 12:14 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: CNX2 sometimes hangs up unable to save"
In response to Reply # 11

US

If you get the "unable to save" message after a number of edits you may be able to save all the edits to a temporary settings file, close the image (and CNX2), and reopen, and apply the temporary settings.

That assumes that CNX2 is still in a state that will save the settings properly. You'll have to just try it and see.

Settings files will save control points but not manually applied selective brush work. That you will have to re-do and arguably that is the majority of the work in many cases. This is an imperfect solution but better than just throwing away all the edits.

my Nikonians gallery.

Erika Jordaan Registered since 19th Dec 2009Tue 11-Jan-11 11:57 AM
#14. "RE: CNX2 sometimes hangs up unable to save"
In response to Reply # 12

Montagu, ZA

Thank you for the tip, Neil. I have not thought about saving some of the work in this way.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Tue 11-Jan-11 10:02 AM
999 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: CNX2 sometimes hangs up unable to save"
In response to Reply # 11

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Hi Erika,

As I understand it, the cache in CNX2 is only used to speed up re-opening a previously edited image. I have not lost any functionality by reducing the cache to 0 because I seldom reopen edited images.

BTW My wife and I will be touring in your part of the world in a couple of months time (on a motorcycle :>) Hope my three score years and ten constitution is up to the task....

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #4855 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.