Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #484
View in linear mode

Subject: "ProPhoto RGB Colorspace for Capture NX 2" Previous topic | Next topic
geebee_r1 Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Feb 2006Thu 17-Jul-08 11:53 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"ProPhoto RGB Colorspace for Capture NX 2"

Santa Maria, US

Just finished watching V Versace's video for NX2 and loved it (also downloaded Dr. O'Dell's e-book as well)...both are worth every cent! Anyway, in the video he mentions setting up Pro Photo RGB as the primary color space...after downloading NX2 (I'm new to the digital workflow realm) on my Mac I noticed that when I went to set up the program that there isn't Pro Photo RGB listed as an option. Am i missing something or is this a third-party software upgrade for the Capture NX program?

Thanks,
Bill

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: ProPhoto RGB Colorspace for Capture NX 2
michael1778 Silver Member
18th Jul 2008
esantos Moderator
18th Jul 2008
MrMojo
18th Jul 2008
smilinicon
18th Jul 2008
DrJay32 Gold Member
18th Jul 2008
smilinicon
18th Jul 2008
geebee_r1 Silver Member
18th Jul 2008
spiritualized67 Silver Member
22nd Jul 2008
michael1778 Silver Member
22nd Jul 2008
walkerr Administrator
22nd Jul 2008
mathjak107
27th Dec 2009
TiggerGTO Silver Member
27th Dec 2009
gerphil Silver Member
28th Dec 2009

michael1778 Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2006Fri 18-Jul-08 01:50 AM
905 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: ProPhoto RGB Colorspace for Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 0

Clemmons, US

It's an ICC profile you need to load into your operating system. Or however a Mac handles it. People like Vincent, Jason, me, and every other Photoshop owner has that profile included & installed with recent versions of Photoshop.

I believe Adobe has that ICC profile somewhere to download. Or use your search engine of choice. The network in this hotel is terribly slow so I'm not able to quickly do the search myself.

Sounds like those reference works should be clearer about where/how you get that profile. Just find it and install it as your system documentation suggests.

Good luck,
Michael

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Fri 18-Jul-08 02:57 AM
11510 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: ProPhoto RGB Colorspace for Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

Go to Adobe.com and look under their downloads section. They have a library of ICC profiles there available as a set, you can't download a single profile.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

MrMojo Registered since 26th Mar 2007Fri 18-Jul-08 05:13 AM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: ProPhoto RGB Colorspace for Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 0

US

On my Mac the ProPhoto RGB shows up in Photoshop CS3 but not in Capture NX... And this is how I added it to NX:

Go to this Web site: http://www.dodgecolor.com/downloads.html

Download the ProPhoto RGB profile for Mac.
Double-click the .sit file and it will expand into the profile.
Drag the profile into the main Library/ColorSync/Profiles folder.

If NX is running you may have to close it and open it to gain access to the profile... ProPhoto RGB will now appear on the profile options under NX Preferences/Color Management.

smilinicon Registered since 11th Jun 2007Fri 18-Jul-08 10:17 AM
318 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: ProPhoto RGB Colorspace for Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Prophoto RGB is listed in my NX2 profile list by default. I tried it and the colors went whacky

Cary

------------

Show only your best work

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003Fri 18-Jul-08 04:40 PM
3323 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: ProPhoto RGB Colorspace for Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 4

Colorado Springs, US

The way to use ProPhoto is with your NEFs-- set the default Color Space preference to use ProPhoto and "use instead of embedded profile". If you have a file already saved using a different embedded profile (especially JPEGs or TIFFs), you can get weird results unless you add a color profile step and "convert to profile" with ProPhoto chosen.

-Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian
Author, The Photographer's Guide to Capture NX2
The authoritative guide to Capture NX 2.0!

www.luminescentphoto.com

Listen to The Image Doctors

smilinicon Registered since 11th Jun 2007Fri 18-Jul-08 09:06 PM
318 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: ProPhoto RGB Colorspace for Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Thanks Jason. While I only work in NEF, I was 'applying' and not 'converting to' the Pro Photo RGB.

Cary

------------

Show only your best work

geebee_r1 Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Feb 2006Fri 18-Jul-08 12:22 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: ProPhoto RGB Colorspace for Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 0

Santa Maria, US

Thanks for the tips and suggestions...as always they are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Bill

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Tue 22-Jul-08 06:36 PM
3175 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: ProPhoto RGB Colorspace for Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 5

Western PA, US

Jason or others, can a printer like the Epson R2400 support the color gamut of ProPhoto RGB? I understand it can support RGB like Adobe 1998, but not sure about ProPhoto with its expanded color gamut. My D300 is set to save my images as RGB, but not sure which flavor it is?

Thanks,
Dan

michael1778 Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2006Tue 22-Jul-08 07:29 PM
905 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: ProPhoto RGB Colorspace for Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 8

Clemmons, US

No printer can print anything remotely close to ProPhoto RGB. ProPhoto even has colors defined that are outside the visual ability of the human eye.

If we had a working space definition that were just slightly larger than the ability of our camera sensors then we'd be all set. But at the moment, Adobe (through the advocation of Bruce Fraser, Jeff Schewe, et al) and others in the industry have come to ProPhoto RGB as a space that is "for sure" larger than either camera sensors or slide film. It was based on work at Kodak and has been distributed with Photoshop for a few revisions now. That makes it almost a de facto large color space standard.

Adobe Wide RGB (icluded with Capture NX) was an earlier attempt at a color space larger than Adobe RGB 1998 that could hold most/all input colors. I'm not proficient enough to completely articulate why this wasn't popular. I think it was how it behaved in editing or printing.

Anyway, I suggest you look at the gamut plots of various working and output spaces to see what I mean.

Enjoy,
Michael

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Tue 22-Jul-08 08:35 PM
14436 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: ProPhoto RGB Colorspace for Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 8

Colorado Springs, US

An Epson R2400, as well as equivalent models from HP such as the 9180, can print colors outside the color gamut of Adobe RGB. It can't print everything in the ProPhoto space - nothing can at this point - but you'll get more out of your printer by using ProPhoto than you will with Adobe RGB.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

mathjak107 Registered since 31st Dec 2006Sun 27-Dec-09 01:11 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: ProPhoto RGB Colorspace for Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 10
Sun 27-Dec-09 01:12 PM by mathjak107

bayside queens, US

we are still better off editing and saving prophoto-rgb in nef form then 16 bit tiffs yes?... when does the 16 bit tiff become important?

is it only if we are sending our work out to a lab as we can print and save all as nef for our own use ,correct?

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Sun 27-Dec-09 01:29 PM
2252 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: ProPhoto RGB Colorspace for Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 11

Apex, US

If you are staying in Capture NX2, it is best to maintain your image as a NEF. If you want to work on the image in Photoshop and see the edits that you've made in NX2, you will have to use "save as" or "open with" to generate a 16-bit tif to open in Photoshop. Most online print services that I have used require an sRGB jpg file to be submitted.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

gerphil Silver Member Charter MemberMon 28-Dec-09 10:49 AM
166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: ProPhoto RGB Colorspace for Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 8

Haarlem, NL

I concur with Rick. I have an Epson R2400 and normally print my NEFs in ProPhoto RGB straight from Capture NX2. Using the applicable printer profile will translate ProPhoto RGB to the color space of that printer profile (I assume) and the results are excellent.

Gerphil

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #484 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.