Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #4763
View in linear mode

Subject: "Tips on CNX2 Work Flow" Previous topic | Next topic
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 04-Jan-11 03:38 AM
13136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"

San Jose, US

I am starting this thread because we filled up the CNX rumour thread with discussions on what CNX can do vs LR and Adobe. It got a bit lengthy and was not an appropriate place for the discussion. So this thread can be a place where you can discuss your flow, add tips, cautions, etc in the use of CNX2.

So I will start. I use CNX2 on a 64 bit Win 7 system Desktop. I also have NIK Color Effects Pro 3 installed in CNX2 and use these filters a lot in my work. One of my favorites is the "Tonal Contrast Filter", and the name is somewhat misleading because what it really is is a High Pass Sharpening filter that can effect highlight, mid tone and shadow contrast and saturation all in one pass. You can even set it to do conventional High Pass Contrast. Why is it called Contrast, because sharpening tools are creating the illusion of sharpness by adjusting contrast between adjacent pixels.

So the tip isn't to use this filter, but I definitely recommend it, but to realize that this is a sharpener and therefore if you use it you need to adjust any other sharpening you do to the image like capture sharpening or other localized sharpening as otherwise you will over sharpen the image.

A second tip related to this filter is sometimes in its use you will see results in skies in landscapes or in skin texture in portraits that are not flattering. I address this in one or two ways. If the bad effect is slight, I just move highlight and mid tone sliders down just a touch until it looks OK, but an even better way is to use negative selection control points to reduce or eliminate the overall effect of the Tonal Contrast Filter.

So in summary this filter will give you quick results that will make your image pop, but be aware of the drawbacks and how to fix them.

So now that I have started this thread, plase feel free to add your own tip or flow to it or ask questions about what any of us write here.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow
jib2
04th Jan 2011
BillboTex
05th Jan 2011
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
05th Jan 2011
BillboTex
05th Jan 2011
bobtail Silver Member
05th Jan 2011
TiggerGTO Silver Member
05th Jan 2011
JerryLoSardo Gold Member
05th Jan 2011
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
05th Jan 2011
TiggerGTO Silver Member
06th Jan 2011
robcran Silver Member
06th Jan 2011
06th Jan 2011
fwellers Silver Member
11th Jan 2011
nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support
11th Jan 2011
fwellers Silver Member
11th Jan 2011
DNissen
23rd Jan 2011
nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support
24th Jan 2011
DNissen
24th Jan 2011
24th Jan 2011
Robp Gold Member
05th Jan 2011
jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
05th Jan 2011
05th Jan 2011
Robp Gold Member
05th Jan 2011
06th Jan 2011
Robp Gold Member
06th Jan 2011
05th Jan 2011
PAStime Silver Member
06th Jan 2011
06th Jan 2011
06th Jan 2011
jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
06th Jan 2011
06th Jan 2011
grillij Silver Member
06th Jan 2011
06th Jan 2011
06th Jan 2011
06th Jan 2011
06th Jan 2011
Robp Gold Member
07th Jan 2011
07th Jan 2011
Robp Gold Member
07th Jan 2011
07th Jan 2011
PAStime Silver Member
08th Jan 2011
08th Jan 2011
PAStime Silver Member
08th Jan 2011
08th Jan 2011
07th Jan 2011
Robp Gold Member
06th Jan 2011
PAStime Silver Member
07th Jan 2011
Robp Gold Member
07th Jan 2011
PAStime Silver Member
08th Jan 2011
Reply message My second Tip on Work Flow in CNX2- Luminance Sharpenin...
08th Jan 2011
Reply message RE: My second Tip on Work Flow in CNX2- Luminance Sharp...
PAStime Silver Member
08th Jan 2011
08th Jan 2011
Robp Gold Member
08th Jan 2011
08th Jan 2011
PAStime Silver Member
08th Jan 2011
08th Jan 2011
PAStime Silver Member
08th Jan 2011
08th Jan 2011
DNissen
24th Jan 2011
Reply message My third tip
08th Jan 2011
Reply message RE: My third tip
Robp Gold Member
08th Jan 2011
09th Jan 2011
grillij Silver Member
08th Jan 2011
09th Jan 2011
09th Jan 2011
09th Jan 2011
PAStime Silver Member
09th Jan 2011
09th Jan 2011
09th Jan 2011
09th Jan 2011
sfstipe
09th Jan 2011
jib2
09th Jan 2011
10th Jan 2011
10th Jan 2011
JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography
09th Jan 2011
10th Jan 2011
10th Jan 2011
10th Jan 2011
Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional.
11th Jan 2011
11th Jan 2011
cliddell Silver Member
11th Jan 2011
11th Jan 2011
Reply message Just a note of thanks to you all
16th Jan 2011
Reply message RE: Just a note of thanks to you all
16th Jan 2011
17th Jan 2011
PAStime Silver Member
18th Jan 2011
jib2
18th Jan 2011
photomia Silver Member
19th Jan 2011
photomia Silver Member
19th Jan 2011
PAStime Silver Member
19th Jan 2011
photomia Silver Member
19th Jan 2011
20th Jan 2011
grillij Silver Member
20th Jan 2011
20th Jan 2011

jib2 Registered since 13th Feb 2009Tue 04-Jan-11 12:44 PM
328 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 0

Clarkston, US

Thanks Bob for starting this thread, I'm new to the CNX2 world of NEF/RAW conversion. In the past I have used Adobe Bridge and Apple Aperture with some success. However since I have started using CNX2 I find that it is easier to use to get the results that I want much faster.

I have not purchased any of the NIK plug ins yet as I have decided to wait and see if CNX2 remains stable on my Apple iMac. So far it has.

My question is about third party plug ins or plug ins created by Nikonians users that are willing to share them or does NIK restrict this in some manner?

Currently my processing is pretty simple I use CNX2 for RAW conversion and most of my edits and crops than move the image to Photoshop CS4 for any additional enhancement that I can not make in CNX2.

JIB2

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Jim

Practice doesn’t make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.
You first have to practice at practicing.
–Vince Lombardi

http://www.blainephotography.smugmug.com

BillboTex Registered since 23rd Nov 2010Wed 05-Jan-11 04:15 AM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 0

Houston, US

Bob, thanks for your post - very informative to me as a newbie! I get my D7k tomorrow with 2 lenses to start out. I am interested in learning to create and use a "workflow" environment in Vista 64 bit.

My question will probably be a simple one for you. If I purchase captureNX2 and Nik Complete for LR and Aperature, will I have ALL editing functions/features from the Complete package available to me including HDR Efex Pro, even though I do not own or use LR3 or Aperature?

Do you recommend purchase now and upgrading later, or waiting for something like captureNX3?

Thanks in advance for your help.

MY SETUP
Nikon D7000 with zoomNIKKOR AF-S DX 10-24mm f3.5,
Tamron AF 18-270mm Macro f3.5 Di II VC LD
and Tamron AF 180mm f/3.5 Di SP A/M FEC LD (IF) 1:1 Macro
Nikon R1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System,
ZacutoEVF Pro
Two SanDisk 32GB EXTREME PRO SDHC-UHS-1 (45MB/S)
viewNX2 captureNX2 NIKCompleteCollection Ultimate
Photo Mechanic 4.6.6 Annotate Pro
Vegas Movio Studio 10 Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 14

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 05-Jan-11 04:22 AM
13136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 2

San Jose, US

Jason has details on using some of the NIK products as stand alones with CNX2, but that is not how they are intended to be used. In CNX2 the NIK filters are fully integrated, they don't create a giant TIFF like LR or Adobe do, you stay in RAW. As for purchasing CNX2 now or waiting for CNX3, I would say get CNX2 now as we have no idea as to when a CNX3 will show up, and usually if you have an older product when the new one comes out you get an upgrade price. The harder question is should you wait for NIK filters until the new release, if you can afford it, get the filters now and upgrade later.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

BillboTex Registered since 23rd Nov 2010Wed 05-Jan-11 05:01 AM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 3

Houston, US

Thanks Bob for the spot-on advice! I am ordering both tonight because by the time any upgrade appears, I may be comfortable with the software.

Thanks again

MY SETUP
Nikon D7000 with zoomNIKKOR AF-S DX 10-24mm f3.5,
Tamron AF 18-270mm Macro f3.5 Di II VC LD
and Tamron AF 180mm f/3.5 Di SP A/M FEC LD (IF) 1:1 Macro
Nikon R1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System,
ZacutoEVF Pro
Two SanDisk 32GB EXTREME PRO SDHC-UHS-1 (45MB/S)
viewNX2 captureNX2 NIKCompleteCollection Ultimate
Photo Mechanic 4.6.6 Annotate Pro
Vegas Movio Studio 10 Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 14

bobtail Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Sep 2006Wed 05-Jan-11 11:39 AM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 4

Axminster, UK

It is worth clarifyung that it is only the 'Nik Color Efex Pro 3 for NX ' that integrates with NX2. NONE of the other Nik filters for LR or other Adobe apps will do so. (A hope for the future)
I also use the CEP3 for NX Complete filters a lot. They are well worth spending time experimenting. For example Glamour Glow sounds like something only applicable to pretty girls, but it can also give a special look to interiors with reflected lights etc.I have also used the solarization filter,applied locally with the brush tool to enhance the grittiness of rocks.Mind you, it is all too easy to get carried away & overdo it.
Chris

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Wed 05-Jan-11 12:47 PM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 0

Apex, US

Like Bob, CNX2 with Color Efex Pro 3 for Capture NX2 forms the core of my workflow. If you are going to spend the money on CEP, buy the Complete Edition so you get all the filters. Many of the most useful filters are only in the Complete Edition. If I remember correctly, the Tonal Contrast filter is only in the Complete Edition. As others have mentioned, CEP Pro is the only plug-in that actually works within CNX2. Some of the other Nik applications can be invoked as stand-alone apps by using "Open with" to get CNX2 to send a 16-bit TIFF to them.

Since we are talking about workflows related to CNX2, I think we really need to mention Photo Mechanic from Camera Bits. This program is far more than a simple browser. I feel that when it is combined with CNX2, it provides a very complete workflow. It provides excellent ingesting, rating, keyword and metadata editing capabilities. It displays the embedded JPG preview, so you can actually see the edits that you saved in CNX2. You can also easily extract the JPG when you need it for web use, e-mail, etc. It is fully color managed and extremely fast at everything that it does. Plus the support from the forums on their site is excellent.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

JerryLoSardo Gold Member Charter MemberWed 05-Jan-11 05:09 PM
932 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 6

Frederick, US

Danny,
I run CNX2 through Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit processor, with 4GB RAM. I don't recall the specifications of my CPU. But based on what I told you so far, is that enough to also add Color Efex Pro 3 without any issues?

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 05-Jan-11 08:17 PM
#11. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 9

San Jose, US

Jerry before I added RAM to my old desktop, it had 4 GB RAM. My processor is an old E6700 Core Duo and I run Win 7 64 bit now but was using XP before and had no trouble running CNX2 with the NIK filters and I doubt you will either. What is really nice about the CNX2 implementation of the CEPRo3 filters in CNX2 is that they are fully integrated and you work with them inside of CNX2 which means that each filter can be applied selectively as an edit step and is fully adjustable even after the fact. It is like putting CNX2 on steroids. Some of the filters are a bit odd, but each gives you some unique chances to experiment, something I highly encourage.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Thu 06-Jan-11 07:31 PM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 9

Apex, US

Sorry to post and not check back for responses. I've been running CNX2 with Nik CEP Pro for CNX2 on a 4GB laptop running 64-bit Windows 7 that was upgraded from Vista. I can't honestly remember whether I got CEP before or after upgrading to Windows 7, but I think that if you are happy with the way CNX2 runs, adding CEP shouldn't be a problem.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

robcran Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Thu 06-Jan-11 01:23 AM
831 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 6

Westleigh, AU

Danny,

I am also a Photo Mechanic/CNX2 workflow user. I know Bob started this thread off as a CNX2 thread but I'll hijack the thread enough to say that I find PM integrates beautifully into my workflow. For some reason the NEFs displayed by PM appear sharper and more vibrant than the same NEFs displayed by CNX2. They must both be displaying the same embedded jpeg, but PM seems to do it better. So for all my selection and category work, PM is the tool.

Editing gets done in CNX2 and after that Photo Mechanic automatically updates and displays the newly rendered embedded jpeg.

PM also has that neat 'Save As' function where with one click it will resize the extracted jpeg to fit in a box of defined pixel width, strip out the EXIF data if you wish, it will sharpen the image, and it will tell you the finished file size all before you save. I find this invaluable for images to be uploaded to the web.

Robert
Sydney Nikonian

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 06-Jan-11 02:14 AM
#15. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 14

San Jose, US

Don't consider it hijacking any thing you do in conjunction with CNX2 flow would be appropriate for this thread. What I really hope will happen here is that people will suddenly realize that much of what they are doing outside of CNX2 with other tools can be easily done within CNX2 and does not require trips to LR or Photoshop to get a good result. I say this because in the last year I found many people thought all CNX2 could do was convert their RAW file, and they were going to other tools because they did not know CNX2 had a method to do something they were doing elsewhere in a much harder way e.g. believe it or not adjusting WB.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

fwellers Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Nov 2008Tue 11-Jan-11 01:19 PM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#73. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Hi Robert,
I am evaluating PM right now. So are you saying that instead of what I currently do, which is to upload cnx2 saved jpgs to my website, it would be better to allow PM to do the uploading to my website because the jpgs would be somehow manipulated by PM before sending and thus look better on my photo site ?

Thanks,
floyd

>Danny,
>
>I am also a Photo Mechanic/CNX2 workflow user. I know Bob
>started this thread off as a CNX2 thread but I'll hijack the
>thread enough to say that I find PM integrates beautifully
>into my workflow. For some reason the NEFs displayed by PM
>appear sharper and more vibrant than the same NEFs displayed
>by CNX2. They must both be displaying the same embedded jpeg,
>but PM seems to do it better. So for all my selection and
>category work, PM is the tool.
>
>Editing gets done in CNX2 and after that Photo Mechanic
>automatically updates and displays the newly rendered embedded
>jpeg.
>
>PM also has that neat 'Save As' function where with one click
>it will resize the extracted jpeg to fit in a box of defined
>pixel width, strip out the EXIF data if you wish, it will
>sharpen the image, and it will tell you the finished file size
>all before you save. I find this invaluable for images to be
>uploaded to the web.
>
>Robert
>Sydney Nikonian

Peace,
Floyd

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Tue 11-Jan-11 02:38 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#74. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 73

US

Hi Floyd,

PM's downsize and sharpen for web operation (the "Save As...") is not necessarily better than what CNX2 can do but it is orders of magnitude simpler and faster, with options not available in CNX2 such as watermarking and 4 different output folder targeting options.

Anything that might minimize crawling down folder trees, often in entirely different folder structures, is fine by me . PM will also automatically convert to sRGB if you shoot or maintain the NEFs in some other profile not suitable for web use. Plus PM's virtual soft crops that leave the source image undisturbed and allow you to crop and save for web (or other uses) on the fly.

"Better" image quality, though, is in the eyes of the beholder.

PM does not have any sharpening options, except "on" or "off". Nor does it have any downsize options like Photoshop where you can choose from several resizing methods.

If you like what PM does, then it is a superior solution because of the speed and ease.

Personally I find PM's sharpening and downsizing very acceptable. I might be able to come up with something in CNX2 I like better but it would not be worth the work. As far as I know, CameraBits does not disclose the details of the algorithm or settings they use, which is understandable.

This is my opinion, valid only for me . Some folks are much more particular about their sharpening needs. You need to eval PM and see if you like it's Save As formulas compared to what you can do in CNX2, albeit with far more effort.

my Nikonians gallery.

fwellers Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Nov 2008Tue 11-Jan-11 08:38 PM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#76. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 74

US

Neil,
Thanks for the info. I appreciate that. I do like what PM does. And it is very quick. There seem to be a few quirks with the way I use it to cull, but I haven't even bothered to try and fix those or research them on the forum yet.
No biggy. It does seem expensive, but it is convenient as all get out for managing photos.

Peace,
Floyd

DNissen Registered since 18th Jan 2006Sun 23-Jan-11 11:34 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#89. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 6

Cranbury, US

Will Photo Mechanic sort images by keywords. I find this is the big lack in NX2 that keeps me in LR.

David

David Nissen

BearPrintImages
www.bearprint.org
david@bearprint.org

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Mon 24-Jan-11 02:08 AM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#91. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 89

US

>> Will Photo Mechanic sort images by keywords. I find this is the big lack in NX2 that keeps me in LR.

Yes, it will. It can sort by most IPTC and EXIF data, the exceptions being data in proprietary maker notes such as focus distance.

Photomechanic is not a cataloger, though. It is important to understand the differences.

my Nikonians gallery.

DNissen Registered since 18th Jan 2006Mon 24-Jan-11 03:13 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#92. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 91

Cranbury, US

>Photomechanic is not a cataloger, though. It is important to
>understand the differences.

Thanks for the answer. What's a "cataloger." Is that what I am doing in LR with e.g. Smart Collections?

David

David Nissen

BearPrintImages
www.bearprint.org
david@bearprint.org

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Mon 24-Jan-11 01:39 PM
#93. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 92

US

Hi David,

A cataloging app maintains a stand alone database that contains thumbnails of the images and also keywords and other text based data. The Lightroom collection is a catalog database.

Photomechanic (PM) is basically a browser, similar to ViewNX. It's major benefits are that it is optimized for SPEED. It's main use is culling, assignment of keywording and IPTC data and general browsing. A lot of people, like me, use it to prepare images for cataloging. I use iMatch for my cataloging.

PM can open up a folder structure (parent folder and all subfolders) into one "contact sheet", which is a set of thumbnails. Or you can add individual folders (but not folder trees) into an already open folder.

PM is very fast but it is reading the image files each time you open a contact sheet. As such, it cannot be scaled up forever and it's upper limits are dependent on the horsepower behind your computer. For example, on my low end laptop I don't like to open more than 2000 - 5000 images in ne contact sheet.

Some people can open 20,000 images without much of a delay but they are using high end desk tops. If your universe of images is in the 20,000 range you may very well be able to use PM as a crude cataloger.

For searching keywords or dealing with large numbers of images (or off-line images) it won't do what iMatch does, or Lightroom, nor was it designed to do that. The developer is working on a full blown cataloging app and a lot of PM users are waiting breathlessly to see what they come up with

my Nikonians gallery.

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Wed 05-Jan-11 02:43 PM
951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 0

Gainesville, US

Bob, do you have a Tip regarding preservation of image quality when we post images here on Nikonians. Thanks for taking a look at my Killdeer image. As you probably noted, there is a HUGE difference in the quality of the smaller image put up by using the Nikonians file location pointer and the larger image that I uploaded to my gallery.

I speculated that the additional JPEG compression used to generate the smaller image had seriously degraded image quality. I wonder if there are some steps we could take to mitigate this problem.

I'm just musing here, but I suspect that conversion of the small NEF file to the large TIFF file may be compounding the problem because much more compression is needed to produce the final JPEG image. This might not be true if the JPEG algorithm begins by flattening the image and tossing out the editing instructions and other exif data embedded in the file. Do you have an opinion on this?

In the same vein of thought, I notice that Antero raised the possibility of stripping the alpha channel out of the TIFF files in the thread that precipitated this one. I don't even know for sure what an alpha channel is, but I read that it defines the transparency of an image such that when images are overlaid the resultant apparent image has each of its pixels defined by the combination of the colors in the intermediate layers. Note: I may have this concept completely wrong!

At any rate, it seems to me that anything we can do to reduce file size prior to conversion to JPEG format might be helpful.

Maybe this is wasted speculation, but i'd sure like to present my images better. Do you have any ideas?

Rob Puller
my Nikonians gallery

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Wed 05-Jan-11 03:29 PM
4761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 7

Milwaukee, US

Rob,

Wow a lot of information. Thanks, now I will have a lot of things to use for disussion in a post processing class I am taking over the course of the next few weeks. I will look forward to following this discussion thread and hope to contribute.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 05-Jan-11 08:12 PM
#10. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 7
Wed 05-Jan-11 08:24 PM by robsb

San Jose, US

Rob I think you know my methods, but here is a summary. Once my image is complete to my satisfaction, I save the NEF and use Open With to open a TIFF in Photoshop. I add a copyright signature and then make the file an 8 bit image, though you can skip this step as I am just going to prepare the image for posting to the web. Now using the prepare for web command in Photoshop, I set the longest side to 1000 pixels, and then adjust quality until I get the load time down to about 60 sec. If the quality goes below 60, I raise it back up until it is at least 60. The resultant JPEG is what I then store in my Nikonians Gallery not the forums. Note I did not worry about size other than my own preference not to put up an image larger than 1000 pix on a side. Now if you look at your image in the gallery, you will note there is a new field that allows you to do an automatic post to a forum. If you click on the save to clipboard button and then open a post in a forum and select past, you will now have posted an optimized image to the forum of the proper size without having to do any fiddling. OF course you can also process the file in CNX2 as there is no need to figure out minimum sizes as the Gallery will hold images up to 1800 pixels on a side I believe, it may be a bit bigger now, but I forget. I have found this method to give me the best images. When you use Adobe command it automatically resharpens the image for the downsizing. Any time you downsize a file you should resharpen it. BTW I usually don't save the TIFF if I am just adding signatures, so when Adobe asks if I want to save the changes to the TIFF I created with CNX2, I usually say no.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Wed 05-Jan-11 10:28 PM
951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 10

Gainesville, US

Bob, you are right, I deliberately tried to copy what I thought were your methods and it turns out that I'm doing exactly what you are doing as described so far. I guess that we are just stuck with the smaller image having far less detail than the larger one in the gallery. I might want to go back to the way we used to put the image up in the forum (using the method you detailed) since that will probably allow more IQ than the current method.

For those interested, Bob's description of an older but potentially higher IQ method of tying the gallery image location to the forum post is response #5 in this thread:
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=175&topic_id=9188&mesg_id=9188&page=

Interestingly, I tried changing the image mode in CS5 from 16-bit to 8-bit and the TIFF document size was reduced from 69 MB to 35 MB; however that made no difference when I used the "Save for Web & Devices" option since the JPEG conversion routine automatically converts the TIFF file to 8-bits if it has not been done previously. The resultant full size (4256 x 2832 pixels) JPEG file at 100% quality is 8.7 MB and one reduced to 1000 x 665 pixels is 0.7 MB.

Just a few more questions:
1. Do you use Progressive (smaller file size) or Optimized (faster image generation) file storage?
2. Do you embed the Color Profile?
3. Do you convert to sRGB (I assume that you do)?
4. Do you set the Preview to use the Document Profile (I guess this refers to the editing-profile which is ProPhoto in my case)?
5. Do you include All of the metadata with the file (seems like a nice option to me)?

Thanks for sharing your, as I know, hard earned knowledge.

Rob Puller
my Nikonians gallery

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 06-Jan-11 03:15 AM
#16. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 13

San Jose, US

Rob I do not believe the new tool to move images from gallery to forum is any worse than what I was doing before, it is just easier. I at least have not seen any difference in the quality of my posts to the forums.

When I post to web I am a bit lazy, so to answer your questions:

1.No
2. No
3 Yes
4 Monitor
5 Only Copyright and Contact Info

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Thu 06-Jan-11 07:55 AM
#17. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 16
Thu 06-Jan-11 07:58 AM by Robp

Gainesville, US

Thanks Bob. I decided to play with the image resolution some and posted an experiment in the "A Picture I Took" forum. There is not a great deal of difference in the images there, but I think it is noticeable.

Let's see if anyone agrees. I'm guessing that the bottom line is that the new linking method is so much easier that the higher resolution is not worth the time and effort.

Rob Puller
my Nikonians gallery

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 05-Jan-11 08:31 PM
#12. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 7

San Jose, US

A JPEG is always going to look worse than a TIFF as a TIFF is not compressed. Since the TIFF CNX2 sends to Adobe is a 16 bit file and a JPEG unless you use JPEG 2000 is an 8 bit file, you get even more compression. Alpha channels are often used to create masks or other blends like adding a CYMK layer to an RGB file and if you are saving a layered TIFF, stripping out the Alpha channel after you have applied it does save space, but as I said before CNX2 cannot handle layered TIFF's and when you post to the web the layers of a JPEG are flattened anyway.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Thu 06-Jan-11 01:13 PM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 12

Kingston, CA

A couple of thoughts along this sub-thread:

- be aware that some TIFFs are compressed and some lossy. It is an option in some tools while writing the file
- starting with an exceptionally large file (high resolution) will not increase how poor the reduced one looks. In fact, if anything, the higher the quality of the input file, the better looking the reduced one.
- I find the 150KB file size limit frustrating and the upload process for the Nikonians gallery antiquated. I use SmugMug for hosting all of my images and embed links in my posts on Nikonians. Quality via this process seems reasonable. A recent example below.

Peter

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 06-Jan-11 05:31 PM
#19. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 18

San Jose, US

I thought I saw an announcement recently where the size limit for forums was raised and that is why I started using the easy link from the forum rather than craft my own link like I was doing before. I do agree with you that the better file you start off with the better resultant JPEG. It is of course the reason that we go to great lengths to use a maximum post processing environment.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Thu 06-Jan-11 05:41 PM
#20. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
Thu 06-Jan-11 05:43 PM by nrothschild

US

The mandatory file size limit was recently raised to 300kb.

The recommended maximum image size is now 1200 pixels, up from 900 pixels. Personally I think 900-1000 pixels is the optimum size because I don't like to have to scroll a huge image or download it in order to downsize it.

The Nikonians gallery now includes a "For Forum Post" link that can be copied into a post, embedding a clickable small image, allowing the reader to click to enlarge to the full resolution gallery image. I think that's made things much easier

my Nikonians gallery.

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Thu 06-Jan-11 06:48 PM
4761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 20

Milwaukee, US

Niel--

Regarding your comments and clarifications. I was going to mention that the file size and pixel parameters had increased. Thanks for doing so for us.

However, regarding your comment, "The Nikonians gallery now includes a "For Forum Post" link that can be copied into a post, embedding a clickable small image, allowing the reader to click to enlarge to the full resolution gallery image. I think that's made things much easier," I have looked to try and figure out an easy way to do this. I have still not mastered the link from Gallery to Forum with going through a lot of "machinations."

Do you have a secret to this so that, when a member who is not necessarily a computer geek, is in the forum and wants to post an image, can do so? Perhaps I am not looking in the right place fo the "how to do it" information. I got some from one of our members but, it is like I constantly have to go back and figure out how to enter "code" in the message field--sometimes having to do it multiple times before I get it right. It such that I tend to just post with the forum limitations and be done with it. There must be something simpler that I just am not seeing for that link to the galleries. Thanks,

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Thu 06-Jan-11 06:59 PM
#23. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 22

US

It is probably in the Wiki (see Wiki/FAQ link at the bottom of the page) somewhere but it will be easier for me just to explain it.

It is probably easiest to open another web browser page to Nikonians and go find the image in your gallery. The link is is circled in red in the image below. Just select that text, copy to the clipboard and paste into your post. Below that I copied that "imglink" link into this post so you can see how it displays. Let me know if this doesn't answer the question or you need more help!

Here is the link:

my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

grillij Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Aug 2008Thu 06-Jan-11 07:30 PM
225 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 23

Piedmont,Qc, CA

Neil
As you said it is easier to show it and explain it. You should get the moderator to post your explanation on the FAQ.
I am the same as JDRoach - it took me a long time to get to somehow understand how to post a photo. The Nikonians FAQ is not very user friendly.

Your explanations are clear and to the point.
We live in a Apple environment where click and drag is the only thing we have to do. We only select small,medium or large.

Jacques G

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Thu 06-Jan-11 07:34 PM
#26. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 24

Milwaukee, US

Nice response. I was using and still do some Microsoft XP. I now am migrating more and more daily to my 27" iMac. I agree I don't have to be a geek anymore (not that I was much of one) to figure it out....just click and drag and go!

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Thu 06-Jan-11 07:35 PM
#27. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"

Milwaukee, US

Thanks Niel. You are always a wealth of information and concise knowledge. I will give this a whirl. Happy New Year.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Thu 06-Jan-11 07:38 PM
#28. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 27
Thu 06-Jan-11 07:42 PM by nrothschild

US

Glad to help, guys

I will pass your request on to the admins

They will probably point me to an existing Wiki entry

my Nikonians gallery.

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Thu 06-Jan-11 07:47 PM
#29. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 27

US

I want to add that I verified the new image size by checking Jrp's recent post in the About Nikonians and Galleries forum.

Similarly, the most recent post in that gallery is this post where he illustrates exactly what I did. I missed that one somehow or would have saved some time by linking to it.

The "About Nikonians and Galleries" forum is a low volume forum intended to keep us all up to date on these changes. This, I think is what you are looking for. We also have the Wiki but this forum is a good distillation of new forum features, policies, etc.

my Nikonians gallery.

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Fri 07-Jan-11 07:05 AM
#33. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"

Gainesville, US

Neil,

Thanks for the several posts that you've made here, but now I have another request for you. It would be especially appropriate since Bob started this thread for posting "Tips on CNX2 Work Flow", if you would tell us the steps that you took to get the beautiful dark backgrounds and well-lit foregrounds in your gallery images of the "Flying Egret" and the "Mallards".

If you did not use CNX2, maybe it would be OK to digress a little and tell us something anyway (Bob ??) or you could start a new post wherever appropriate.

If this request is too much like asking a magician to reveal his tricks, please just go ahead and decline.

Rob Puller
My Nikonians gallery

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Fri 07-Jan-11 01:08 PM
#34. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 33
Fri 07-Jan-11 01:12 PM by nrothschild

US

Hi Rob,

I appreciate the kind comments on those two images. They are among my favorites

The short story is that they pretty much dropped out of the camera that way. I don't have a specific recollection of what I did to render those particular JPGs but this is what I did to the edited NEFs I have on file that were most likely used for the JPG rendering:

Flying Egret:

Shot with D2h in Color Mode II (not the best mode for Wildlife). White balance Auto (unchanged). In Capture NX 1.1 (this was 2007) I changed to Color Mode IIIa, removed the in camera sharpening, increased exposure +0.53 stops in Quick Fix, and added USM 58/5/4. That's it.

Mallards:

Shot with the D200 with White Balance Auto +1 (unchanged) and Color Mode III (unchanged). In Capture NX 1.1 I eliminated in camera sharpening. Added USM 62/5/2. Brightened up the female's head with a Color Control Point (CCP). Slightly darkened the chest feathers under the female's neck with a 2nd CCP. Added a Saturation/Warmth step with saturation=22 and warmth = 17. Cropped to an 8x10 format. Then darkened the female's tail with a CCP.

Both images were most likely Saved As from the edited NEF, using PhotoMechanic, to 800 pixels, adding the watermark.

My experience is that my very best images tend to drop out of the camera exactly the way I want them. Often I'm afraid I'll just screw it up by trying to improve them . But that is not the typical image, it's just a trend I've noticed over the years with the stick-out images.

And finally, I was able to quickly ascertain all this by using iMatch to search on the 5 digit image number across my database of 250,000 image files. Without iMatch or something like it, it would have taken some time to find all the images, which are located in 3 major folder structures, one for the original images, one for selected NEF images worth printing and displaying, and one for my various work and final output files, such as web JPGs, JPGs for prints, PSD's on occasion and sometimes special versions of the NEFs (I don't totally trust the versioning feature in CNX- I often lose versions because I don't think like CNX wants me to, but that's a different subject).

As long as we are talking work flow here, I'll add a rant about CNX. To this day, after all these releases, they still don't have U points and selection masks coordinated with crops. In that Mallard image, I have 2 CCPs before the crop and one after. That last CCP was probably an afterthought, the last thing I did to the image.

The effect of that sequence of edits is bizarre. As near as I can tell, if I open the image now in CNX and leave the crop on, the effect of the first two CCP's display correctly but the location of the CCP is wrong. Therefore the effect of the CCP does not correlate to the apparent placement of it. If I un-check the crop, then the CCP relocates to where I think it originally was and correlates to the unchanged effect.

The CCP placed after the crop behaves differently and even more badly. When the crop is turned on, the location and effect displays correctly. When the crop is turned off, the location of the CCP changes and the effect of the CCP also changes, such that it does it's effect on the wrong location (but does correlate to the new, incorrect, location of the CCP).

Although that image was originally edited in a prior version of CNX (V1.1.0) I believe the behavior is no different if a fresh out of camera image is edited in the current release. It is not a forward compatibility problem, it is still a fundamental editing bug.

Selection masks behave the same way but they take far longer to construct and cannot be simply relocated like a U point . I have learned the hard way, NEVER, NEVER, EVER crop an image after making a selection mask, and to remove crops before making a mask. That can only end in disaster. We have an editing tool that cannot do a simple crop properly.

Did that make sense? If it doesn't don't blame me. I'm not 100% sure I can even predict what CNX is doing when a crop is used in conjunction with a CCP, much less try to articulate it in writing.

And it doesn't really matter if I place the CCP before or after the crop- neither method results in a behavior that makes sense and neither method results in something that allows me to uncheck the crop without something bizarre happening.

It probably wasn't a good idea to place CCP's before and after the crop. However, in the normal workflow I go through an image evolves. The lack of a simple method to drag edit steps in order to rearrange them is a serious workflow deficiency in CNX. Add to that this bizarre cropping behavior and the entire process devolves into chaos.

My USM step is also in the wrong place- it should have been relocated after the CCPs and saturation/warmth edit. But then I would have to try to copy, paste and delete the edit steps in a very sepcific sequence to do that complex rearrangement. And if I have multiple similar edit steps, such as multiple CCP's or maybe multiple LHC steps with different masking it is too easy to confuse them and copy or delete the wrong steps.

Like many people, I have a standard settings file I apply early on to the image, removing in camera sharpening and adding USM for finer control and the ability to turn it off to render an image that I might want to import into Photoshop without sharpening. But that just leads to a constant fight with CNX when I inevitably need to rearrange the edit steps. And when a crop and U points (or masks!!!) end up in the same image I get to the point where, even if my edit steps aren't technically in the right order I might not want to touch the image again for fear of screwing up the U point locations or, more critically, brush masks that took a long time to work out.

This image reminds me why I'm always rethinking my use of CNX. The solution is partly never to crop in CNX, but cropping is a fundamental workflow operation. Does anyone at Nik actually ever use this stuff to make a real world image?

my Nikonians gallery.

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Fri 07-Jan-11 03:02 PM
#35. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 34

Gainesville, US

Great response Neil. Thank you!

Not only did you describe the editing process, but you also gave us some insight into the thought process, which I find really valuable. I seem to go back and forth about what I want to do and ofen just scrap the effort and start over doing things in a different order, so your comments sort of validate my observations.

Like you, I use a settings file to clear out the in-camera sharpening, but that brings up another question. My Camera Settings panel shows that the Color Noise intensity is set to zero, but the Sharpness under that heading is set to five; should this be set to zero for later tweaking also?

I sure wish we could get Nikon and/or Nik to respond to your (and Jason and my and a host of others) concerns like CameraBits does. We would all be happier and Nikon would have a superior product.

Rob Puller
My Nikonians gallery

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Fri 07-Jan-11 04:28 PM
#36. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 35

US

Rob,

My understanding is that setting the Noise Reductions step's color noise intensity to zero is functionally equivalent to turning it off (un-checking the action or step). It seems to me that Nikon should un-check the step like it does other optional and unused processes when NR is turned off in camera and not overridden by the camera firmware. It is inconsistent with how it handles the Vignette Control or Auto Red-Eye, for example, that are un-checked when not used in camera. But the end result is the same.

When I first started using Capture that bothered me and I would always un-check the NR process just to be sure it really was dead, but I got over that

The sharpness = 5 setting is, I guess just a default setting and ready for action when you move the Volor Noise Intensity slider forward to activate NR, or if the camera does the same thing due to your settings or it's own decisions.

(I believe some cameras, like the D700, will apply NR to very high ISO images even if you set it off in the shooting menu, which I also find to be a quirk, but not as serious as what I just ranted about )

Historically I have tried to keep my editing simple but that may reflect a lack of interest or understanding of some things I could be doing. I just take a "lesser is better" approach although over time I've gotten more interested in masking and generally working images a bit harder. I respect people that can salvage problem images and turn them into sparkling jewels . I just try to re-shoot them if I can

my Nikonians gallery.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 08-Jan-11 12:51 AM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"

Kingston, CA

>To this day, after all these releases, they still
>don't have U points and selection masks coordinated with
>crops.

I have run into this when applying a setting file with multiple edit steps that include one or more control point.

I get to the point where, even if my edit steps aren't
>technically in the right order I might not want to touch the
>image again for fear of screwing up the U point locations or,
>more critically, brush masks that took a long time to work
>out.

Just wondering if you have considering saving different versions of a NEF file from within CNX2. You could make a bunch of early edits and save that. Then you could create two new versions which reprsent a fork in the editing stream: one branch in the fork has an image with one intention and the other has another image with a different intention.

Cheers,
Peter

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Sat 08-Jan-11 01:07 AM
#39. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 38
Sat 08-Jan-11 09:31 AM by nrothschild

US

Just out of curiosity, Peter, what is the purpose of a setting with U points? That suggests the setting anticipates where the U point is placed. Or do you then relocate it around after applying the setting?

my Nikonians gallery.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 08-Jan-11 03:11 AM
#42. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 39

Kingston, CA

>Just out of curiosity, Peter, what is the prupose of a
>setting with U points? That suggests the setting anticipates
>where the U point is placed. Or do you then relocate it
>around after applying the setting?

It has happened when I have saved the entire edit list in CNX2 as a setting file with the intent of applying the setting file to identical or almost identical other images from the same shoot. Imagine a control point dropped onto a cloud to add contrast to the sky. Agreed, it doesn't make much sense. As I recall, if I drop a control point to set white point, the setting file doesn't record a resulting curve/tone adjustment; the setting file ends up with a control point in that location. That means you can't apply the setting file unless the new target image is identical (for some reason).

Cheers,
Peter

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 08-Jan-11 01:38 AM
#40. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"

San Jose, US

Neil some comments on your observations:

"My experience is that my very best images tend to drop out of the camera exactly the way I want them"

This should be the goal we all seek. Although I really enjoy manipulating images for artistic reasons, it is not my normal goal to work every image to death because I screwed up in taking it in the first place. My goal is usually check WB adjust B&W points and Shadows and Highlights, sharpen, crop and get out.

"As long as we are talking work flow here, I'll add a rant about CNX. To this day, after all these releases, they still don't have U points and selection masks coordinated with crops."

This is a pain that is well known to all, but not insurmountable. Generally most books will tell you that in CNX2 Crop should be your last step, but sometimes like you I think of something after the fact and will do another step after cropping, most steps except control points or B&W points don't care, but if you want to rearrange steps until Nikon/NIK get around to letting us drag and drop to reorder steps. All you need to do is select all the steps you made except Crop, save a temporary setting, then delete all steps and reload the saved setting and now you can add a new crop. Of course this goes for any lengthy effort.

One does need to be aware, just like in Photoshop, that there are many ways to do what appears to be the same thing and they interact, but if you are aware of that there is no reason you can't implement multiple steps of sharpening or control points, etc as you can easily open each edit step and adjust the factors until you get what you want. The combination of control points and the selection brush or lasso tools are very powerful in refining selections and controlling what gets changed. But you have to be aware that control points select everything that is like the point you placed a selection point on and the area effected is controlled by the handle, where the brush selects everything you paint and the effect varies by how dense you paint the mask.

"The solution is partly never to crop in CNX"

I strongly disagree here, because cropping in CNX2 is totally non destructive and never throws away anything. You have to make a special setting in Photoshop to do that. The result is if you decide your crop is wrong, you just reselect it and do it again, there is nothing easier.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 07-Jan-11 01:03 AM
#30. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 20

San Jose, US

Thanks Neal I knew it was increased, but could not remember the new size. I agree on the 900-1000 and that is why I always posted a small linked image to my gallery before the new tool as I knew there were many people with small monitors or slow connections, but I still gave them the option to see my larger image if they desired. The only drawback was in forum contests as I think my posting smaller images did not help me. I think the new tool needs to be reviewed as I think it puts up too small an image that is probably way under the new standard.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Thu 06-Jan-11 06:15 PM
#21. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
Thu 06-Jan-11 06:18 PM by Robp

Gainesville, US

Peter,

>- be aware that some TIFFs are compressed and some lossy. It
>is an option in some tools while writing the file

1. Here's a screen grab of the TIFF format Save panel in CS5. I was under the impression that all of the Image and Layer compression choices available entailed lossless compression. Is this true?

2. Setting aside file size for the moment, and assuming that I want to retain Layers for future edits, which selections yield the highest detail?

>- starting with an exceptionally large file (high resolution)
>will not increase how poor the reduced one looks. In fact, if
>anything, the higher the quality of the input file, the better
>looking the reduced one.

I agree and think this is obvious. In discussing the impact of file size upon resolution, I was referring to the image dimensions. A severe crop simply means that the remaining pixels in the image have to be spread further apart to produce a new image with large dimensions. Either the image resolution must be reduced or new pixels must be added by interpolation (re-sampling). Either choice reduces image quality, although resampling looks better.

>- I find the 150KB file size limit frustrating and the upload
>process for the Nikonians gallery antiquated.

Agreed, although they have increased the file size limit to 300 KB, at least in the "A Picture I Took" forum, and, I think, elsewhere.

>I use SmugMug
>for hosting all of my images and embed links in my posts on
>Nikonians. Quality via this process seems reasonable. A
>recent example below.

3. I downloaded your linked image. "Get Info" reports that it is a 229 KB JPG file. Is this correct or did something get lost in the download?

4. If the download munged the file characteristics, what do you actually have stored on SmugMug?

Thanks Peter,

Rob Puller
My Nikonians gallery

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Fri 07-Jan-11 01:24 AM
#31. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 21

Kingston, CA

Hi Rob. Great to hear from you!

>1. Here's a screen grab of the TIFF format Save panel in CS5.

I don't use PhotoShop and don't know the definitive answer to your question. LZW is lossless so that's a good bet. I did find this link which explains some:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e41001031ab64-7757a.html

I believe there are yet even more compression options in other tools for TIFFs, some lossy, some not.

>I was referring to the image dimensions.

Got it - my misunderstanding!

>Agreed, although they have increased the file size limit to
>300 KB, at least in the "A Picture I Took" forum,

Yes, that is a good thing (except, unfortunately, for the small proportion of the community with slow internet connections).

>I downloaded your linked image. "Get Info"
>reports that it is a 229 KB JPG file.

SmugMug is a photo hosting site and there are no file storage limits of any kind for photographs (upload all you want at any time). So I often upload full size or close to full size images. When viewing one's gallery, you can click on a "Share" button and get a link for a photograph that can be used anywhere on the internet. There is a selection of about 6 sizes. I usually choose "large". Accessing that link reduces the pixel dimensions on the fly anytime anyone accesses it. I usually have no idea what size the resulting file is. 229KB sounds reasonable.

You can try this by clicking on the Share button in the upper right here:

http://www.peterstokes.net/Exhibit/People-and-Things

Cheers,
Peter

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Fri 07-Jan-11 06:35 AM
#32. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 31

Gainesville, US

Hi Peter. Yes, good to hear from you too; we've had some great discussions.

I had seen the link that you referenced before but wasn't sure it applied in this case because I was thrown off by the option to compress the Layers and the link was discussing the whole file (or so I thought). I've read some more about this and nobody seems to say, all in one article, what's going on here. I now understand that all of the options here are lossless and that LZW and ZIP formats are more universally understood by other applications (which is probably of no import to me, but I'm trying to play it safe for the future). Anyway, I'm invoking the compression options as shown in that Grab Shot to at least reduce the file size some, and I'm satisfied that I'm doing as well as can be done when saving TIF files.

SmugMug sounds interesting; I'll look into it some more. I popped over to it through your link and was pleasantly reminded that you have a real eye for interesting subject matter.

Regards,

Rob Puller
My Nikonians gallery

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 08-Jan-11 12:41 AM
#37. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 32

Kingston, CA

>I now understand that all of the options here are lossless

All are except JPEG. It seems they offer JPEG compression for data in a TIFF file. Although that radio button in your screen shot was greyed out.

>SmugMug sounds interesting; I'll look into it some more. I
>popped over to it through your link and was pleasantly
>reminded that you have a real eye for interesting subject
>matter.

I recommend SmugMug. For another $7 or so a year you can get your own URL, as shown below. I am only a hobbyist but it is fun to set this up and dabble with it outside of work and family time.

Cheers,
Peter

My gallery (a work in progress): http://peterstokes.net/Exhibit

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 08-Jan-11 02:05 AM
#41. "My second Tip on Work Flow in CNX2- Luminance Sharpening"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 08-Jan-11 04:48 AM by robsb

San Jose, US

New EDIT to clarify some of the things I said in the original post and to acknowledge that Peter is correct that as a default CNX2 only sharpens Luminance. Sharpening seems to be one area where people have problems in post. There are many ways to sharpen images and besides the different types of sharpening, which we can talk about in the future, one key rule is DON'T SHARPEN COLOR DATA, just luminosity. For those who use Photoshop this usually means that you create a new layer change the blend mode to luminosity and then sharpen, or go into LAB space and sharpen the L channel. This helps especially if you are shooting high ISO as that way you don't sharpen color noise or effect the color itself. But how do you do this in CNX2? If you open USM edit step, you will find a much more robust set of sharpening controls that give you a number of ways to improve your sharpening. For one you don't have to sharpen the whole RGB image as you can select individual colors like R, G. B, Y, M, C as sometimes you will find that say for example the Blue channel will have lots of noise and the Green channel will not, so you can just sharpen Green, This part of the sharpening tool lets you sharpen by individual colors but I digress from my tip. So if you look further down, you will see Opacity and an arrow (This is found on many tools and is called the Opacity Mixer) , twirl it down and you will see another selection box that lets you select ALL, RGB or Luminance/Chrominance. These extra controls let you fine tune the effect of any tool that it is a part of. If you select ALL the blending and Opacity you set here affects the whole image in this sharpening tool it is letting you adjust the overall sharpening effect further than the setting above. If you select RGB, you can now control the sharpening effect on the individual Red, Green or Blue channels, a bit different that the color selections above and this would be like sharpening selective channels in Photoshop. Finally if you select Luminance/Chrominance, You will now see a blending mode selection and two sliders one for Luminance channel opacity and one for Chrominance channel opacity. Set the latter to zero and you will now only be effecting Luminance sharpening opacity as you adjust the slider with no effect on color. As you can see this is a very powerful tool, that I would venture to say many users know nothing about.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 08-Jan-11 03:27 AM
#43. "RE: My second Tip on Work Flow in CNX2- Luminance Sharpening"
In response to Reply # 41
Sat 08-Jan-11 03:28 AM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

This thread on processing flows is excellent.

Bob: I thought CNX2 always only sharpened the luminance channel by default. I heard that on a Nikonians podcast and I see the following in the CNX2 documentation:

The Unsharp Mask tool in Capture NX 2 is unique in that it always applies its sharpening to the luminosity of the image, which prevents any unwanted color shifts.

So I think your advice is sound but no special step is necessary in CNX2.

Cheers,
Peter

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 08-Jan-11 04:27 AM
#45. "RE: My second Tip on Work Flow in CNX2- Luminance Sharpening"
In response to Reply # 43
Sat 08-Jan-11 04:49 AM by robsb

San Jose, US

Peter yes you are correct that it sharpens luminance by default, and I always knew this because it is doing this sharpening like in LAB as I remember. I went back and added more to the post to clarify and correct what I should have said. Thanks for reminding me as I think the post is now much better.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Sat 08-Jan-11 03:40 AM
#44. "RE: My second Tip on Work Flow in CNX2- Luminance Sharpening"
In response to Reply # 41
Sat 08-Jan-11 05:29 AM by Robp

Gainesville, US

Bob, this tip alone is worth the price of the thread.

I've been laboring away happily editing in CNX2, but thinking that, for really serious sharpening, I needed to push a TIF over to CS5 and then use the layer method or change mode to LAB. I just tried this for the first time while reading your post and in no time at all got a very nicely sharpened image. It appears to me that only sharpening Luminance allows me to push the intensity much higher without developing halos.
-----------------
EDIT to add: Peter suggests that USM sharpens only luminance by default and Bob responds by editing his post to clarify the tip, so now i'm confused. Does going through the Opacity > Set Chrominance = 0 > Adjust Luminance Only set of steps just yield the same result as the un-tweaked USM method? I understand the ability to sharpen only the R, B or G channels, but now I don't get the reason for doing the Luminance thing.
------------------

Thanks!

Rob Puller
My Nikonians gallery

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 08-Jan-11 08:34 AM
#46. "RE: My second Tip on Work Flow in CNX2- Luminance Sharpening"
In response to Reply # 44
Sat 08-Jan-11 08:38 AM by robsb

San Jose, US

Rob sorry I confused things, so let me try to unconfuse you and everyone else. The Opacity mixer is an extra step that you can use or ignore as it only effects the opacity of the sharpening result and ultimately what areas of the image the overall sharpening is applied to.So an opacity of 100 gives the full effect and zero gives no effect. This allows fine control of the result. Most articles that speak of sharpening usually tell you to over sharpen and then back off until you see the effect you like. In Photoshop you also have a blend and opacity for a layer and people often adjust that for a final effect. So if you think of the USM step in CNX2, when you sharpen using the intensity and amount sliders it would be the same as doing these steps in Photoshop: Make new layer, change blend mode to Luminosity,sharpen. Now in Photoshop if you adjusted the opacity of the layer to tweak that would be the same as using the Opacity mixer in CNX2, except CNX2 just gave you 3 ways to control the overall effect of that sharpening that Photoshop would require many more steps to achieve. So the Opacity mixer allows almost infinite fine tuning of the sharpening. If you don't want to fine tune, don't twirl the mixer down and you are still only effecting the Luminosity. I am sorry i confused everyone.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 08-Jan-11 03:55 PM
#47. "RE: My second Tip on Work Flow in CNX2- Luminance Sharpening"
In response to Reply # 46
Sat 08-Jan-11 03:56 PM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

More on sharpening: Jason Odell in his landscape photography e-book recommends this book on sharpening:

http://www.amazon.ca/World-Sharpening-Photoshop-Camera-Lightroom/dp/0321637550

It was $60 last time I looked and still is on some retailers but Amazon Canada's price of $29 Canadian with free shipping has tipped me into ordering it (which I did just this morning). I think it will deliver a mix of theory and practical advice, some of which I will be able to apply in Capture NX2 (despite the Photoshop content).

Cheers,
Peter

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 08-Jan-11 05:36 PM
#48. "RE: My second Tip on Work Flow in CNX2- Luminance Sharpening"
In response to Reply # 47

San Jose, US

Since we are recommending books on theory, I am a big fan of Dan Margulis who not only goes into great detail on sharpening, but many other post processing tricks as well using the tools in Photoshop.I had intended at least a few tips on how to implement his ideas in CNX2. No post processing library should be without these mind blowing books. Be forewarned this is not your typical Photoshop cookbook of make this setting here, move this slider nonsense, this is real theory discussions of the whys and wherefores, so you understand the underlying theory and therefore with a little effort can extend it to new tools. For Example LAB sharpening is a Margulis method. Please check for the latest editions. I have:

Professional Photoshop fifth Edition The Classic Guide to Color Correction by Dan Margulis I think it is at least Edition 6 now.

Photoshop LAB Color The Canyon Conundrum and Other Adventures in the Most Powerful Colorspace. by Dan Margulis. Since many of the tools in CNX2 work in a way similar to working in CIE LAB space this is also a good book for theory. I myself intend to study how I might use the LCH tool to implement some of what Dan covers in this book.

I think the key to Dan's books are they are NOT dependent on ACR at all and in fact many of the effects he developed could be done with very early versions of Photoshop because you are digging down into basic tools. But the big payoff is the theory. If you take the time to wade through the theory in these books and a reread is something I do from time to time, you will have a much better understanding of post processing no matter what tool you use and you will know much more than the average Photoshop user as well. Again these are NOT basic books, but I think the people in this forum are looking to take their post processing to a new level. If you ever make trips to Photoshop to work on images, these books are a must, and if you never use Photoshop you still will learn so much you will be a better user of CNX2.

My goal in this thread is for all of us to share the many applications of theory we have discovered in the use of CNX2. Do not buy into the hype that you can only get great results from Photoshop. While it is true that Photoshop itself, not LR, is the master tool that is far more powerful than anything else, CNX2 is much more powerful than most people realize and more important is far more easy to learn to achieve professional results. Too many people are thrown by the interface not being an Adobe one and it makes them think that this is a puny tool because it is appears slow. It is slow because it is working on the RAW image and rendering a result that uses all the camera controls. I think just in discussion of USM I have shown just how much more powerful the CNX2 tool is.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 08-Jan-11 05:55 PM
#49. "RE: My second Tip on Work Flow in CNX2- Luminance Sharpening"
In response to Reply # 48

Kingston, CA

Thanks for the tips on the books from Dan Margulis. I do not use Photoshop. I have found one of the disadvantages of buying Photoshop books is that the practial exercises involve creating new layers, processing them, stacking them, and blending them in certain ways. This can not be done in CNX2. How much of that is in Dan's books? Cheers, Peter

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 08-Jan-11 08:06 PM
#50. "RE: My second Tip on Work Flow in CNX2- Luminance Sharpening"
In response to Reply # 49
Sat 08-Jan-11 09:08 PM by robsb

San Jose, US

Dan does use blends and channels in his techniques, but that is not why I recommended the books, it is the theory. I used Photoshop as my main tool for many years and went through the usual cookbooks and some better books as well, but it was Dan's books that really opened my eyes. He goes into great detail on how to get good prints,he explains the use of curves, how to take advantage of the various channels, and of course goes into great detail on sharpening.

All of what he discusses cannot be done in CNX2, but since the Opacity Mixer in CNX2 allows for blends and channel manipulations I think some of what he explains could be done in CNX2. I intend to explore it. He has a great discussion on color space. I only brought it up because of your recommendation of a book solely about sharpening.

I think that many people believe that because CNX2 does not use physical layers, that what is accomplished by those techniques cannot be done in CNX2. CNX2 Edit steps are in a way equivalent to Layers in Photoshop, and CNX2 is only hiding the mask manipulation from you unless you decide to display it. While it is true that you cannot combine images in CNX2, other layer like manipulations through the combination of Control points,selection tools along with the manipulation of mask layers in those tools including things like feathering, the use of the Opacity mixer, etc, you can achieve much of the same results in a much easier fashion.

For example I always use the mask view when I use control points to selectively apply an edit step, so I can see exactly what is effected, I also sometimes stack effects using the same selections by using the shift & select technique to merge multiple edits within the same selection. It really is all about doing the effect by a different application of tools, just like Luminosity sharpening being so much easier in CNX2 as opposed to Photoshop, but we are applying the same concept, using different procedures.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

DNissen Registered since 18th Jan 2006Mon 24-Jan-11 01:07 AM
#90. "RE: My second Tip on Work Flow in CNX2- Luminance Sharpening"
In response to Reply # 48

Cranbury, US

>Since we are recommending books on theory, I am a big fan of
>Dan Margulis who not only goes into great detail on
>sharpening, but many other post processing tricks as well
>using the tools in Photoshop.
>
>Professional Photoshop fifth Edition The Classic Guide to
>Color Correction by Dan Margulis I think it is at least
>Edition 6 now.
>

Dan recently announced his retirement (to the great lamentations of his fans in the ColorTheory Yahoo Group) to travel with his wife, so PP5 and Canyons ... are the last. (Unless he gets dragged back to do a book on his Picture Postcard Workflow. These are discussed in his video lessons on the Kelby Training site. His LAB stuff here is simply essential.)

I think your idea to recast Dan's methods in NCNX2 is terrific and I will be following.

BTW, I have been trying to emulate HiRaLoAm sharpening with:
1. a HiRaLoIn USM sharpening step -- something like 10/40/5 (recall the intensity of 10 is equivalent to a 50 amount in PS),
2. followed by a low radius HiPass filter step.

I think Jason suggested something like this.

David
D700 and loving it.

David Nissen

BearPrintImages
www.bearprint.org
david@bearprint.org

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 08-Jan-11 09:51 PM
#51. "My third tip"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

I am going to be unavailable for awhile starting next Wednesday as I am having a knee replacement, so I thought I would add another sharpening tip now. My main computer is in an upstairs room and it may be awhile until I can climb the stairs to get to it. Once I am out of the hospital in about a week, I will try to log in with my laptop from time to time. Full recovery can take 3 months or more.

In Dan Margulis' Book Professional Photoshop he discusses some alternative methods of applying USM in Photoshop. As you probably know the terms used in Photoshop and the amounts shown on sliders differ although they essentially do the same thing. So where Photoshop uses Amount, Radius and Threshold, CNX2 uses Intensity Radius and Threshold. Jason's book and others cover the details of the equivalency, so I will not cover that here.

Normal sharpening in Photoshop usually consists of using a low radius (usually around 1 or lower, a small threshold adjustment and a fairly high Amount/Intensity, and this is good for emphasizing photos with well defined edges, but if you ever tried to sharpen water or other things where there are no well defined edges, you most likely were very unhappy with the results.

Well there is another form of sharpening for those situations, Margulis calls it HiRaLoAm for Hi Radius Lo Amount, so I guess in CNX2 we could call it HI RA Lo INtensity. So what you do is raise the radius to like mid range on the slider and set the Intensity very low. this gives more of a shaping rather than a sharpening.

Margulis then extended this to sharpening peoples faces, using a combination of both, giving more shape to a face and less of the graininess you often see in portraits. This was so revolutionary that Scott Kelby devoted a chapter to it in one of his Photoshop books, of course giving full credit to Margulis and they created a Photoshop action to implement it.

So in CNX2 all you need to do is to apply the USM twice as an edit step once as a standard sharpening and once as HIRALOIN. And of course since you also now know how to apply sharpening selectively using control points or the Opacity mixer or both, you can apply these forms of sharpening to different areas of your image at once.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Sat 08-Jan-11 11:48 PM
#52. "RE: My third tip"
In response to Reply # 51

Gainesville, US

Bob,

We're all wishing you a speedy recovery with excellent results! Come on down to Florida for some touch football when it's done; I'll get some young guys to play us "experienced" geezers. BTW, it might be nice to act on your "Wish List" while you are recovering.

I'm really enjoying this thread; one of the best we've had in a while.

Thanks,

Rob Puller
My Nikonians gallery

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 09-Jan-11 12:08 AM
#54. "RE: My third tip"
In response to Reply # 52
Sun 09-Jan-11 12:23 AM by robsb

San Jose, US

Thanks Rob, but one of the restrictions after this surgery is no touch football or other contact sports. I have convinced them to give me an extended range knee so if I can manage it, I will be able to do squats when taking pictures- but may need help back up -hehe. I will miss the interaction here. Joining Nikonians was one of the best things I have done. It is so good to discuss things with people who share the same passion for photography as I do.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

grillij Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Aug 2008Sat 08-Jan-11 11:55 PM
225 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#53. "RE: My third tip"

Piedmont,Qc, CA

Bob I wish you a quick recovery - take care of yourself.
I will miss your comments.
One week in the hospital ! Bring your Lap Top just in case.

Jacques G

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 09-Jan-11 12:17 AM
#55. "RE: My third tip"
In response to Reply # 53

San Jose, US

Jacques I wish I could but my time will be spent learning how to walk with a bionic knee shortly after I get out of surgery and then 3 times a day until they are convinced I could walk out of a burning house if need be. Then is is 3 X a day exercise to improve range and motion of the knee, first with a walker (don't use one now) and then with a cane and finally back on my own two feet without aid. My real problem is I really have 2 bad knees with almost the same damage, except the left has an unrepaired torn meniscus, otherwise bone on bone and arthritic damage to both. Lately the knee that is not getting replaced is bothering me more than the one that is. So within a year I may be going back for the second one. The good news is once done and healed, I will be pain free at least in the operated leg. I am generally in very good shape for my age and expect to bounce back quickly. I am looking forward to being able to travel and walk long distances again and not be passed up by 92 year old ladies.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Sun 09-Jan-11 03:34 AM
#56. "RE: My third tip"

US

Bob,

Best of luck on your surgery!

my Nikonians gallery.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 09-Jan-11 05:28 AM
#58. "RE: My third tip"
In response to Reply # 56

San Jose, US

Thanks Neil

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sun 09-Jan-11 03:57 AM
#57. "RE: My third tip"

Kingston, CA

>I am going to be unavailable for awhile starting next
>Wednesday as I am having a knee replacement

All the best with the surgery. Bring a CaptureNX2 book with you to the hospital Peter

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 09-Jan-11 05:30 AM
#59. "RE: My third tip"
In response to Reply # 57

San Jose, US

Thanks Peter, I don't own a paper copy of a CNX2 book, but I will try and think of new things to discuss. In the meantime I am sure all of you will full this thread with stuff.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Sun 09-Jan-11 06:14 AM
#60. "RE: My third tip"
In response to Reply # 59

Milwaukee, US

Bob,

Good luck! This thread is very interesting and I keep saving the entire thread as it grows for future reference, since I am a newbie in using CNX2. I was only a PSE7& now 9 user to some degree. But, I recently purchased CNX2 along with Lightroom 3 for install on my new 27" iMac. A lot of what I read is still beyond me, but daily I come to more understanding with the help of experienced folks like you. You will be missed while you tend to these medical matters.

I wish you the best and hope you have a very successful outcome so you outdistance the 90 year ladies and, perhaps, catch up with the much, much younger ones.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 09-Jan-11 08:19 AM
#61. "RE: My third tip"
In response to Reply # 60

San Jose, US

John glad the thread is of help. If i caught up with the younger ones, my younger wife would probably whack me with the cane i will be using for awhile. But it was the true fact that on my trip to Iceland this past year there were a few women in their 80's and 90's that did pass me like I was standing still because my knees were bothering me so much. There was even a 40ish competitive female runner who had just had surgery that was doing better than me. It was then that I knew I had to get the knee fixed.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

sfstipe Registered since 03rd Nov 2008Sun 09-Jan-11 01:11 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#62. "RE: My third tip"
In response to Reply # 61

Fort Worth, US

Hi Bob,
Congratulations on your "new-to-be" knee. Occassionally I work in a rehab hospital and hear how great it is to be pain free. It is a really tough rehab but it is worth it.
Stephen
"Happy Landing on a Chocolate Bar"

jib2 Registered since 13th Feb 2009Sun 09-Jan-11 02:21 PM
328 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#63. "RE: My third tip"
In response to Reply # 62
Sun 09-Jan-11 02:22 PM by jib2

Clarkston, US

Bob, best of luck on your surgery! We all hope for you to have a speedy recovery and get back to taking photos and participating here at the Nikonians website as quickly as possible.

Jim

–Vince Lombardi

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 10-Jan-11 02:02 AM
#66. "RE: My third tip"
In response to Reply # 63

San Jose, US

Thanks James the current knee has been impacting my desire to travel and shot pictures, so I am looking forwrd to getting back to a more normal life.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 10-Jan-11 01:58 AM
#65. "RE: My third tip"
In response to Reply # 62

San Jose, US

Stephen thanks for your comments. I have done a lot of research on this before I finally agreed to do the surgery. I was totally shocked when I found out it was my only real option. Both my 40 year old neighbor and my mail carrier have had both knees done, so I have been warned about the rehab. I have maintained a regimen of exercise over the years to keep my legs strong and mitigate the pain, now I know that although the rehab will be tough, there is an end in sight.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sun 09-Jan-11 07:06 PM
4978 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#64. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

Bob,

We will miss you while you are gone (or logging on less often). Please make sure the laptop is in perfect working order!

BTW, is it true that Gitzo is building your new knee?

Good luck and best wishes!

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 10-Jan-11 02:05 AM
#67. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 64

San Jose, US

Thanks Jon, it is a Zimmer knee and it looks quite substantial and is made of shinny titanium. It looks good enough that maybe I should install a transparent door on my knee like gamers do on their computers.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Mon 10-Jan-11 02:25 AM
#68. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 67

US

>> maybe I should install a transparent door on my knee like gamers do on their computers.

Well, if you're going to do that, you should consider the upgraded "Pro Gamer Deluxe" knee with flashing blue LEDs under the door.

Now that will impress the neighborhood kids!

Once again, good luck and look forward to hearing from you when you're ready. At least you will be able to go out and shoot after it's all over.

my Nikonians gallery.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 10-Jan-11 03:17 AM
#69. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 68

San Jose, US

Neil I love the blue LED idea, I have them in my desktop. I would be the coolest guy in the neighborhood.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Tue 11-Jan-11 07:54 AM
2536 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#70. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 69

Vantaa, FI

Wow, what a thread! I didn’t have the time to read it until now. I hasten to add my best wishes for a quick recovery to Bob B. Have you already decided what to do with your original knee(s)? Candle holders maybe?

Best regards,
Antero

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 11-Jan-11 08:12 AM
#71. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 70

San Jose, US

Thanks Antero,my old knee will go where it belongs-in the trash. It is too old and messed up for any possible alternate use, but it did last about 7 times longer than the new one will.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Tue 11-Jan-11 10:07 AM
1002 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#72. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 71
Tue 11-Jan-11 10:08 AM by cliddell

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Hi Bob,

Just to thank you for this great thread you started and which has now got a life of it's own!

I hope some folk will now use their copies of CNX2 for a bit more than just a RAW converter....

Also to add my best wishes for your upcoming "upgrade" and for a speedy recouperation!!

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 11-Jan-11 07:12 PM
#75. "RE: Tips on CNX2 Work Flow"
In response to Reply # 72

San Jose, US

Thanks Clive I hope to find a flourishing discussion here after i return home in a week.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 16-Jan-11 05:29 AM
#77. "Just a note of thanks to you all"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 16-Jan-11 05:30 AM by robsb

San Jose, US

I want to thank all of you who wished me well with my knee replacement surgery. Things went very well and my recovery pain is at a very low level, even a surprise to me. I will be living for awhile on the main floor, so will not be at my desktop, but I will check in from time to time, but my main goal is to get back to normal as quickly as possible. One thing I can say is you will not get any rest in a hospital. It seemed like they were poking me very hour on the hour while I was there and I am very deprived of sleep. I returned to day and hope to catch up quickly now that the incessant rounds are over. But the staff was just doing their job and took good care of me.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Sun 16-Jan-11 01:53 PM
#78. "RE: Just a note of thanks to you all"
In response to Reply # 77

Milwaukee, US

Welcome home. I wish you the best on the trek to full recovery.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 17-Jan-11 09:10 PM
#79. "RE: Just a note of thanks to you all"
In response to Reply # 78

San Jose, US

Thanks

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Tue 18-Jan-11 01:00 AM
#80. "RE: Just a note of thanks to you all"
In response to Reply # 79
Tue 18-Jan-11 01:01 AM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

Great news Bob! Heal quickly and get back at picture taking soon! Peter

jib2 Registered since 13th Feb 2009Tue 18-Jan-11 08:39 PM
#81. "RE: Just a note of thanks to you all"
In response to Reply # 80

Clarkston, US

Welcome back Bob, glad to hear that the surgery was a success! Good luck with all of your therapy and make a speedy recovery to start taking photos again. Also, glad that you will be able to check in on all of Nikonians here on the site.

Jim

Jim

–Vince Lombardi

photomia Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2011Wed 19-Jan-11 03:06 AM
163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#82. "RE: Just a note of thanks to you all"
In response to Reply # 78

MD, US

WOW! You all know a lot! I just joined Nikonians a few days ago and have been reading, reading, reading , while I type one-handed (joint replacement-right hand). The problem is, I am even more confused about CNX when used with CS4, i,e. where does one end and the other begin - or will this work itself out once I begin using CNX. I am about to download the trial version.

photomia Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2011Wed 19-Jan-11 03:20 AM
163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#83. "RE: Just a note of thanks to you all"
In response to Reply # 82

MD, US

I am answering my own message. I think I am in a thread too advanced for me. Can anyone direct me to a "beginner" CNX discussion? Thanks...

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 19-Jan-11 03:43 AM
#84. "RE: Just a note of thanks to you all"
In response to Reply # 83

Kingston, CA

>I am answering my own message. I think I am in a thread too
>advanced for me. Can anyone direct me to a
>"beginner" CNX discussion? Thanks...

Hello and welcome to Nikonians.

Well, you could start your own thread if you have a specific question.

Capture NX2 and CS5 are each complex tools.

I strongly recommend the following if you plan to use Capture NX2:

http://luminescentphoto.com/nx2guide.html

Cheers,
Peter

photomia Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2011Wed 19-Jan-11 02:35 PM
#85. "RE: Just a note of thanks to you all"
In response to Reply # 84

MD, US

thank you, Peter, for the book recommendation.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 20-Jan-11 12:05 AM
#86. "RE: Just a note of thanks to you all"
In response to Reply # 82

San Jose, US

Depending on your familiarity with each program it will sort itself out. If you are new to using both, I am going to suggest you learn CNX2 first as it is the easiest to learn and will get expert results early. Unless you need some of the special features in Photoshop CS4, you may never need to open it up. The key things to remember is if you want the images you open to look exactly like they looked when you looked at the image on the back of your camera without any fiddling around, only CNX2 is going to do that for you. If you plan to use Picture controls and ADL, CS4 will not read neither. If you plan to do Pano's, blend two images together than you need CS4 because CNX2 can't do that. If you want your final images to be NEF images and want to be able to open them at any time in the future and redit them, then again your only choice is CNX2. So first go to the Nikon site and look at the tutorials, read Jason O'Dell's book or look at videos by Vincent Varcace, Also look at Tom Hogan's book. Look for turtotials on UTube. For photoshop join NAPP, the best one source Adobe Training site.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

grillij Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Aug 2008Thu 20-Jan-11 01:40 AM
#87. "RE: Just a note of thanks to you all"
In response to Reply # 86

Piedmont,Qc, CA

Hi Bob - nice to see you back in the action - strong and kicking.
Your answer is right to the point and as a matter of fact very true. This answer should be posted permanently for future reference on similar questions. You resumed it well.

Jacques G

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 20-Jan-11 06:42 AM
#88. "RE: Just a note of thanks to you all"
In response to Reply # 87

San Jose, US

Thanks Jacques. I am trying not to push too hard but am making great progress. It has been one week since I had the replacement and due to a failure in my blow up bed I had to climb those 13 steps today and was able to do so. I am doing about 18 exercises 2 times a day, so my time is mostly in recovery. I try to spend a few minutes on line, but am not doing any photo processing at the moment, though i could now that I can get up the stairs. I am glad to see others filling in the holes.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #4763 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.