Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #47
View in linear mode

Subject: "NX3?" Previous topic | Next topic
arnoldq Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Feb 2006Sat 16-Jan-10 02:02 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NX3?"

Enfield, US

Am really resisting upgrading to PS4.
Obviously if NX3 is around the corner--read 2010--I don't want to make the investment.
Can anyone provide even a SWAG -sophisticated wild guess - as to whether or not there is a chance that NX3 will happen this year?

arnoldq

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: NX3?
bandola Silver Member
16th Jan 2010
mklass Platinum Member
16th Jan 2010
nwcs Silver Member
16th Jan 2010
sfbillm Silver Member
16th Jan 2010
jeffmeyers Silver Member
17th Jan 2010
Valentino Gold Member
18th Jan 2010
arnoldq Silver Member
19th Jan 2010
k photon Silver Member
19th Jan 2010

bandola Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2009Sat 16-Jan-10 04:42 PM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NX3?"
In response to Reply # 0

CH

Well, who would ever have guessed that it could take Nikon half a year, and counting, to provide us with a version of NX2 that can run on Mac with SL.

Therefore I believe NX3 to be very distant, unless they release it now in the end of January and that is what all this is about....But I don't really believe that.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 16-Jan-10 06:04 PM
5855 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: NX3?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

My SWAG is this summer.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Sat 16-Jan-10 07:28 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: NX3?"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

There are rumors for this summer but who knows? Nikon tends to be very slow (even if they subcontract the work).

sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Sat 16-Jan-10 07:45 PM
851 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: NX3?"
In response to Reply # 0

Santa Fe, US

>Am really resisting upgrading to PS4.
>Obviously if NX3 is around the corner--read 2010--I don't want
>to make the investment.
>Can anyone provide even a SWAG -sophisticated wild guess - as
>to whether or not there is a chance that NX3 will happen this
>year?

I don't mean to sound impolite, but I can't help but be a bit puzzled by your question.
If you're currently using PS, then (unless Nikon makes a major policy change), the work you do in PS won't be recognized in NX3 unless you flatten and save as TIFF.
OTOH, if you're currently using NX2, then waiting for NX3 would seem the logical thing to do, since the edits done in NX2 won't be recognized in PS. If you need pixel editing beyond what NX2 can do, Paint Shop Pro is currently on sale for US $49.95. It has most of the capabilities of PS.

SantaFeBill

jeffmeyers Silver Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Nikonian since 25th Aug 2006Sun 17-Jan-10 12:48 AM
623 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: NX3?"
In response to Reply # 4

Crestwood, US

Yeah, if you don't have NX2, just get it. Do all of your RAW processing with it and then export it as a TIFF file to do pixel editing in your old PS version. Then when NX3 comes along you are set. If you do have NX2 and also an older version of PS, then make sure that the new CS4 is really worth it. I got it, but I can't say that I use the new functions. I wish I would've stayed with CS3. I do all my processing, except for specialized work, with NX2.

Jeff Meyers
Lumos Galleries

Valentino Gold Member Awarded for high level skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 04th Dec 2004Mon 18-Jan-10 07:41 PM
11613 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: NX3?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Am really resisting upgrading to PS4

Keep resisting since CS5 is expected out around April 2010 (the cycle is typically 18 months). I can tell you that the Nikon profiles in ACR in CS4 are significantly better than CS3 and one of the reasons I now do everything with photoshop making it a worthy upgrade. But, all that aside, there is no reason to consider upgrading to CS4 at this late date.

Albert J Valentino
Nikonian Moderator Emeritus

Vantage Point Images
Mastery of Composition is the Key to Great Photography

arnoldq Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Feb 2006Tue 19-Jan-10 04:08 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: NX3?"
In response to Reply # 6

Enfield, US

Thanx all for the info--perhaps I should say hope. I have the full complement of NIK plugins so I use the NX2 to Tiff to CS3 route. Horribly slow but at the moment no other choice. Thanx all again

arnoldq

k photon Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2002Tue 19-Jan-10 07:10 PM
458 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: NX3?"
In response to Reply # 6

Phoenix, US

I have to agree with Albert.

Adobe updates PS every 18 months or so. They update their Camera RAW plugin much more frequently, and it keeps getting better.

I prefer the RAW conversions from Adobe on all the cameras I use.

See my link below for more up-to-date news on Photoshop info.
Cheers
PhotographyUncapped

Adobe Photoshop CS5 News Release Date Features Cost Updates

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #47 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.