Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #4640
View in linear mode

Subject: "Tri-x curve (Picture Control) for Camera and Capture NX" Previous topic | Next topic
falevian Registered since 20th May 2009Wed 29-Dec-10 04:32 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Tri-x curve (Picture Control) for Camera and Capture NX"

Madrid, ES

I missed Tri-x for a long time. Finally, I decided to create a Picture Control curve for my Capture NX2, triying to emulate the charateristic curve of this great film.
I download the Kodak documentation, and I made a map between the curve of the Tri-x using D-76 10 minutes( the one I used to use)
and the curve in Picture Control. I decided to be able to register the more quantity of levels in this new digital world, so I made
a rescalation between both curves.
The final product is the curve attached. I hope this will be usefull for someone else.

http://www.nikonians.org/dcfp/user_files/183797.zip

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (zip file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Tri-x curve (Picture Control) for Camera and Captur...
rbaskin Silver Member
29th Dec 2010
robsb Platinum Member
29th Dec 2010
nightcat
30th Dec 2010
JES44
30th Dec 2010
falevian
01st Jan 2011
jib2 Silver Member
02nd Jan 2011
falevian
02nd Jan 2011
rbaskin Silver Member
02nd Jan 2011
falevian
03rd Jan 2011
rbaskin Silver Member
05th Jan 2011
falevian
05th Jan 2011
robsb Platinum Member
05th Jan 2011
falevian
05th Jan 2011
JES44
05th Jan 2011
falevian
05th Jan 2011
falevian
05th Jan 2011
robsb Platinum Member
06th Jan 2011

rbaskin Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2007Wed 29-Dec-10 09:30 PM
337 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Tri-x curve (Picture Control) for Camera and Capture NX"
In response to Reply # 0

Ridgefield, US

Thanks for this. I'm an old Tri-X fan myself and was disappointed that Color Efex didn't have a film emulation filter for it.

I'll give it a try.

Ralph in CT

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 29-Dec-10 11:34 PM
12566 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Tri-x curve (Picture Control) for Camera and Capture NX"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Thanks for the effort

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

nightcat Registered since 05th Mar 2006Thu 30-Dec-10 08:14 PM
1040 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Tri-x curve (Picture Control) for Camera and Capture NX"
In response to Reply # 0

LaCrosse,WI, US

Thanks. I love trying out new picture controls.

Kraig

"The wisest follow their own directions" -Euripides
"I thought there would be more elephants" -C. Columbus

JES44 Registered since 19th Feb 2007Thu 30-Dec-10 11:26 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Tri-x curve (Picture Control) for Camera and Capture NX"
In response to Reply # 0

Tampa, US

Tri-X was my 35mm film of choice for many years. I used the "amateur" version (ISO 400), under exposed it slightly and processed in D76 1:1 to make gorgeous 16x20 prints. I love color digital photography, but have not been able to duplicate the look of the B&W prints that I made in my darkroom. I downloaded the trial of Nik's Silver Efex Pro, but decided that I could do just as well with NX2.

Thanks, falevian for taking the time to put this control together and posting it for us. I installed your control into NX2 and will be experimenting with it. Along with the tonal curve, getting the right "grain" look is also important.

Some of the best digital B&W images I've ever seen are at a Pbase gallery by Bill Harris. http://www.pbase.com/billharris/root

Jim in Tampa, FL

falevian Registered since 20th May 2009Sat 01-Jan-11 04:55 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Tri-x curve (Picture Control) for Camera and Capture NX"
In response to Reply # 4

Madrid, ES

Thank you all.
Please, if you try the curve send me your comments. Is the first version, I'm going to adapt the curve as best as possible.

I agree, the grain is very important. But the curve is the part of the set of parameters that you have to use in according to simulate the Tri-x Film. One can use the curve in the camera, and use it to verify how is the general contrast. Then, I apply I use the grain of the Nik software, because you can use different type of grain in shadows, gray and lights.

I can prepare a set of parameters for Capture Nx2 to be applied in postprocesing.

jib2 Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Feb 2009Sun 02-Jan-11 01:08 PM
328 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Tri-x curve (Picture Control) for Camera and Capture NX"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 02-Jan-11 01:10 PM by jib2

Clarkston, US

I like your Tri-X picture control. Attached is a picture done using your control. The only other things I did was add a little more contrast and crop. This is a picture of my daughter taken a few years ago. Yes, she also is a Nikon user as well. Here she is shooting a F100 loaded with BW film.

Jim

Practice doesn’t make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.
You first have to practice at practicing.
–Vince Lombardi

http://www.blainephotography.smugmug.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

falevian Registered since 20th May 2009Sun 02-Jan-11 04:42 PM
#7. "RE: Tri-x curve (Picture Control) for Camera and Capture NX"
In response to Reply # 6
Sun 02-Jan-11 04:42 PM by falevian

Madrid, ES

Yes, I needed more contrast in the curve. I´ve prepared a set for Capture NX2. I was analizing old Tri-x film, and I tried to copy the distributio of the grain. I used coarse grain, more grain in shados, less in middle tones, and much less in lights.
So:
1) Version 1.1 Tri-x Curve, prepared for be installed in the camera. You can also use it in Capture NX2.
2) Settins for Capture NX2

To install the settings, you have to click on the gears icon -> Load Adjustments -> and select the file of the configuration (Tri-X Color Efex)
If you have Color Efex Pro, you can apply this set of parameters, that include grain, the Tri-x Curve.

I also include a photo "developed" with this parameters.

Curve:
http://www.nikonians.org/dcfp/user_files/184141.zip

Adjustments
http://www.nikonians.org/dcfp/user_files/184142.zip

Attachment #2, (zip file)
Attachment #3, (zip file)

rbaskin Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2007Sun 02-Jan-11 10:57 PM
337 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Tri-x curve (Picture Control) for Camera and Capture NX"
In response to Reply # 7

Ridgefield, US

I'm loving your Tri-X picture control - I've been trying to get this look in my B&W conversions for a while. Can't wait to try the adjustment settings and ver 1.1.

Thanks again.

Ralph in CT

falevian Registered since 20th May 2009Mon 03-Jan-11 11:52 AM
#9. "RE: Tri-x curve (Picture Control) for Camera and Capture NX"
In response to Reply # 8

Madrid, ES

Thank you. Please, try it and tell us what do you think about the curve,
what do you need, yor impressions...
Falevian
>I'm loving your Tri-X picture control - I've been trying to
>get this look in my B&W conversions for a while. Can't
>wait to try the adjustment settings and ver 1.1.
>
>Thanks again.
>
>Ralph in CT

rbaskin Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2007Wed 05-Jan-11 02:44 AM
#11. "RE: Tri-x curve (Picture Control) for Camera and Capture NX"
In response to Reply # 9

Ridgefield, US

I really like the results of the curve and the grain. When I used the adjustment set I saw that it also modified the Develop section to use Monochrome and put an orange filter on the B&W setting.

For my own use I've separated the curve from the picture control by taking your version 1.1 and adding the orange filter. I prefer to sharpen later in the process and retain control over it, so I removed sharpening from the picture control as well. I then used your settings for the grain and created my own Color Efex adjustment that can be added later.

This may turn the process into more steps, but I like to keep my options open. I've also found that a tweaked Color Efex Pro Contrast filter with either a normal or screen setting combined with an opacity of around 90% has worked really well on some of my shots.

Thanks again for all your work - great stuff!

Ralph in CT

falevian Registered since 20th May 2009Wed 05-Jan-11 03:52 PM
#13. "RE: Tri-x curve (Picture Control) for Camera and Capture NX"
In response to Reply # 11

Madrid, ES

Perfect. I include all the steps for be easy to use to people that don´t know deeply Capture NX2. I use my settings as a begining, each photo is a world...
Monocrome is associated to the curve. Now, thanks to you, I´m thinking in two versions of the parameters.
1) The first version is for the camera, including the curve, and the red filter. The red or orange filter give us more contrast and a spectral response similar to a extended panchromatic film like Tri-X. It is important, because the Tri-x was more sensitive to red than greens, and the digital sensor has a different response.
You can see it in the curve attached. This is only for PREVISUALIZATION. You have to take the picture in RAW, of course.

2) Then, in Capture NX2, you can apply a new curve and convert it to black and white using adjustements, so you can have more control. I´m going to prepare the adjustments...

Instead the constrast filter, I use the Tonal contrast to increase the contrasst by zones.
I´m going to prepare teh 1.2 version, thank you!

>I really like the results of the curve and the grain. When I
>used the adjustment set I saw that it also modified the
>Develop section to use Monochrome and put an orange filter on
>the B&W setting.
>

>For my own use I've separated the curve from the picture
>control by taking your version 1.1 and adding the orange
>filter. I prefer to sharpen later in the process and retain
>control over it, so I removed sharpening from the picture
>control as well. I then used your settings for the grain and
>created my own Color Efex adjustment that can be added later.
>
>This may turn the process into more steps, but I like to keep
>my options open. I've also found that a tweaked Color Efex
>Pro Contrast filter with either a normal or screen setting
>combined with an opacity of around 90% has worked really well
>on some of my shots.
>
>Thanks again for all your work - great stuff!
>
>Ralph in CT

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 05-Jan-11 01:54 AM
12566 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#10. "RE: Tri-x curve (Picture Control) for Camera and Capture NX"
In response to Reply # 7

San Jose, US

Which camera have you created the control for? My D700 expects an NOP suffix and does not recognize the file as a picture control. The color Effects file does load in CNX2 as a set and when I apply it, it adds the grain adjustment and uses what looks like a modified Monochrome Picture Control but it does not have a TRi-X name. If this is your tri-x PC, then I could always open it in the editor and resave it with the TRI-X name.

Awaiting further info from you. I have had no trouble adapting the picture controls from others here in the forum.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

falevian Registered since 20th May 2009Wed 05-Jan-11 03:53 PM
#14. "RE: Tri-x curve (Picture Control) for Camera and Capture NX"
In response to Reply # 10

Madrid, ES

Hi.
I used a D300 and the Capture NX 2.2.6...
Let me review it...

>Which camera have you created the control for? My D700
>expects an NOP suffix and does not recognize the file as a
>picture control. The color Effects file does load in CNX2 as a
>set and when I apply it, it adds the grain adjustment and uses
>what looks like a modified Monochrome Picture Control but it
>does not have a TRi-X name. If this is your tri-x PC, then I
>could always open it in the editor and resave it with the
>TRI-X name.
>
>Awaiting further info from you. I have had no trouble adapting
>the picture controls from others here in the forum.

JES44 Registered since 19th Feb 2007Wed 05-Jan-11 12:53 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Tri-x curve (Picture Control) for Camera and Capture NX"
In response to Reply # 0

Tampa, US

Here's an attempt at the Tri-X look. I used your curve, but not the monochrome and grain settings for NX2. When I apply the settings, it lightens the image too much. I'm finding that there doesn't seem to be a one-click solution to get the right look. Each image I've worked on required individual tweaking to get the look I wanted. I adjust the B&W filter and strength, brightness and contrast to make the image on the screen look like a print in the developer tray. As I was working on this image, I realized I was exposing for the shadows and developing for the highlights.

Jim in Tampa

falevian Registered since 20th May 2009Wed 05-Jan-11 03:55 PM
#15. "RE: Tri-x curve (Picture Control) for Camera and Capture NX"
In response to Reply # 12
Wed 05-Jan-11 04:32 PM by falevian

Madrid, ES

Hi.
May be the lights are to much over-lighted. It is difficult to adjust using the small tool in Capture NX2.
Anybody else detect this problem?

Thank you for you information...

>Here's an attempt at the Tri-X look. I used your curve, but
>not the monochrome and grain settings for NX2. When I apply
>the settings, it lightens the image too much. I'm finding that
>there doesn't seem to be a one-click solution to get the right
>look. Each image I've worked on required individual tweaking
>to get the look I wanted. I adjust the B&W filter and
>strength, brightness and contrast to make the image on the
>screen look like a print in the developer tray. As I was
>working on this image, I realized I was exposing for the
>shadows and developing for the highlights.
>
>Jim in Tampa
>
>

falevian Registered since 20th May 2009Wed 05-Jan-11 04:31 PM
#16. "RE: Tri-x curve (Picture Control) for Camera and Capture NX"
In response to Reply # 15
Wed 05-Jan-11 05:36 PM by falevian

Madrid, ES

Tri-x 1.2

In the zip you can find:
1) Tri-X emulation Curve for Capture NX2. Tri-x.ntc
2) Tri-X emulation Curve for Picture Control in CAMERA. NIKON/CUSTOMPC/PICCON30.NCP. You have to copy as is into the card and put it into the camera, the import using the Picture Control Utility on the camera. I used the slot 30, but yo can use other.
3) Seetings for Capture NX2 with Color EFEX Pro. I love the efect. You have to have imported the Tri-x curve to be useful. Tri-x-1.2-settins for Capture NX2.set

The new version have more control over the lights, I´m still using red or orange filter because of the spectral sensitivity of the original film.
And I love my own settings, ussually I have to do almost nothing over the image...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MXZT3FBB
Falevian

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 06-Jan-11 03:18 AM
#17. "RE: Tri-x curve (Picture Control) for Camera and Capture NX"
In response to Reply # 16

San Jose, US

I got it to work. I was not watching and stuck the file in the wrong folder on my CF card. It loaded to camera just fine. I also loaded the new set to CNX2, but then I made two minor changes. First I loaded just the TRI-X Picture Control in the Development section and then create and saved a none sharpened version of it. and then I loaded the CNX2 set and changed out the Monochrome PC with the named TX PC and re saved that as a new set, so now when I load the set it shows the TX PX in the development section. I know it is the same as your monochrome set, but I like to name my PC's distinctively and I always create non sharpened versions of all my picture controls. thanks again for your efforts, they are appreciated.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #4640 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.