Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #4541
View in linear mode

Subject: "ViewNX 2 Label Colors" Previous topic | Next topic
Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Fri 24-Dec-10 06:22 AM
951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"ViewNX 2 Label Colors"

Gainesville, US

Is it possible to change the ViewNX 2 Label colors? The default colors do not match those in Bridge, which I'd prefer. I've changed the colors in Capture NX 2 and in Photo Mechanic, but I have not been able to find the instructions for making the change in ViewNX 2.

A description of how to do this, or a pointer (URL) to instructions will be appreciated.

Rob Puller
my Nikonians gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: ViewNX 2 Label Colors
robsb Platinum Member
24th Dec 2010
Robp Gold Member
24th Dec 2010
robsb Platinum Member
25th Dec 2010
Robp Gold Member
25th Dec 2010
Robp Gold Member
29th Dec 2010

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 24-Dec-10 07:25 AM
12262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: ViewNX 2 Label Colors"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Go to preferences/labels and then uncheck the defaults box.You can now assign new names to the colors.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Fri 24-Dec-10 09:36 AM
951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: ViewNX 2 Label Colors"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 24-Dec-10 09:42 AM by Robp

Gainesville, US

I've done that and it has no effect on the actual color. The order, from top (color number 1) to bottom (color number 5) in Bridge is Red, Yellow, Green, Cyan and Purple. I've changed Capture NX 2's and Photo Mechanic's Label colors to match those.

The order, from top (color number 1) to bottom (color number 9) in ViewNX 2 is Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Cyan, Blue, Purple, Magenta and Pink. I have not been able to change these colors.

All of the viewers (Bridge, Photo Mechanic, VNX2 and CNX2) will allow the label names to be changed and I've assigned them all the same new Names. Just to confirm that the label name had no effect on the label color, I temporarily assigned the name "Yellow" to color number 2 (orange) in VNX2, with, as expected, no effect.

Incidentally, the label names and numbers are passed correctly to other viewers and show up in their metadata panels, including VNX2. The colors are also passed to the other Viewers correctly except for VNX2, which displays its fixed colors but does show the correct number in the label (small color box under the preview image).

I wouldn't mind changing the colors in Bridge to match those in VNX2, but it won't allow color changes either. So, CNX2 and Photo Mechanic are flexible, but VNX2 and Bridge are not.

Rob Puller
my Nikonians gallery

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 25-Dec-10 02:29 AM
12262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: ViewNX 2 Label Colors"
In response to Reply # 2

San Jose, US

OK I missed your point before. So ask Nikon why it doesn't work like NX2. perhaps it is a free vs non free issue, for if ViewNX2 could do everything Capture NX2 can do why would you buy CNX2?

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Sat 25-Dec-10 04:31 AM
#4. "RE: ViewNX 2 Label Colors"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 25-Dec-10 04:33 AM by Robp

Gainesville, US

OK, I've submitted the question to Nikon's Technical Support (Question Reference #101225-000011). I've not gotten much help from them in the past, however, they did finally (after many exchanges) solve one difficult problem for me (one out of several). Their spotty performance is what causes me to ask Nikonians first since I often get good results here.

Rob Puller
my Nikonians gallery

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Wed 29-Dec-10 03:49 PM
#5. "RE: ViewNX 2 Label Colors"
In response to Reply # 4

Gainesville, US

Received a response from Nikon Support today.

"In this case, Unfortunately, the label colors cannot be changed, you will only be able to customized the name of the colors as you have."

Although I didn't get what I wanted, there is good news here, and it is that I did get a reasonably timely response, given the holidays. Plus, I believe that my question was read and interpreted correctly, which has not often been the case (not just with Nikon, but with other organizations as well). This is an improvement over my experiences a couple of years ago, and, I think, bodes well for those of us who like Nikon software. I'm looking forward to CNX3.

Rob Puller
my Nikonians gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #4541 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.