Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #4513
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX2 keyword editing" Previous topic | Next topic
AlanTW Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2002Sun 19-Dec-10 03:03 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture NX2 keyword editing"
Mon 20-Dec-10 12:30 PM by AlanTW

Stanbury, GB

Is it possible to edit, especially delete, IPTC keywords in Capture NX2?

Alan

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 keyword editing
expat Silver Member
20th Dec 2010
AlanTW Silver Member
20th Dec 2010
chevysales
24th Dec 2010
AlanTW Silver Member
25th Dec 2010
expat Silver Member
26th Dec 2010
expat Silver Member
26th Dec 2010
expat Silver Member
26th Dec 2010
expat Silver Member
26th Dec 2010

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Mon 20-Dec-10 12:42 PM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Capture NX2 keyword editing"
In response to Reply # 0

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

No, I have spent much time and asked several times on the site.
Nikon confirm that there is no built in way to delete keywords.
(I am talking from the keyword list, you can of course delete a keyword from an individual image)

I tried the following but it doesnt work either.
C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Nikon\Capture NX 2\application.cfg
(as per a thread somewhere on this site)

This takes me to my keyword list in .cfg. I can delete & save the changes here but that does not impress Capture NX2 at all as the list remains unchanged within NX2.
Not only a problem in itself but my list keeps replicating itself and thus getting longer & longer so I no longer use NX2 metadata.
Have asked for someone to check if they get the same result but noone replied.
Nikon as usual say it will be considered in a future version but it has not been implemented in the latest recent change.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

AlanTW Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2002Mon 20-Dec-10 01:14 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capture NX2 keyword editing"
In response to Reply # 1

Stanbury, GB

Thanks David for the comprehensive reply, rather as I expected I'm afraid

regards
Alan

chevysales Registered since 08th Nov 2008Fri 24-Dec-10 10:25 PM
156 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Capture NX2 keyword editing"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 24-Dec-10 10:26 PM by chevysales

US

if you search the flikr group under my posts you should find the registry entry for ViewNX and CaptureNX2 to remove mispellings or keywords no longer used.

probably back 12 to 18 months.

Happy Nikon convert from Canon...
D700
24-70 f2.8
70-200vr f2.8

AlanTW Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2002Sat 25-Dec-10 03:40 PM
#4. "RE: Capture NX2 keyword editing"
In response to Reply # 3

Stanbury, GB

That's brilliant Mark, worked a treat.
The link to the thread is:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/capturenx/discuss/72157616391132793/?search=keywords

Look at the post by Kevin Theron about halfway down

www.alan-williams.com

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Sun 26-Dec-10 07:01 AM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Capture NX2 keyword editing"
In response to Reply # 4

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Mark, until reading the last part of the fix I have been trying to delete using .cfg repeatedly.
Sorry for being dim could you answer two small questions before I try again please?
1) What are the delimiters - I have a straight list with no other marks apart from script instructions at each end?
2) Is it saying that all NEFs will have to have any keywords removed?
(Some of mine had data added but for some reason at some point in time NX2 would not allow me to add keywords to NEF anyway, which doesnt matter to me as I save TIFF and JPEG from the NEF with keywords OK)
Many thanks

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Sun 26-Dec-10 07:37 AM
#6. "RE: Capture NX2 keyword editing"
In response to Reply # 5

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Kindly ignore last post, the penny dropped,Deleting the NEF keywords is obviously(now)what my problem has been.

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Sun 26-Dec-10 01:46 PM
#7. "RE: Capture NX2 keyword editing"
In response to Reply # 6

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Having said all that I deleted all but about six keywords from .cfg and deleted all keywords from all my NEFs (also iptc presets) and saved .cfg changes - fired up NX2 and noted the list had been changed.
BUT when I returned to use Capture Nx2, some time, later the whole original list was back again!
Must be missing someting?????

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Sun 26-Dec-10 02:09 PM
#8. "RE: Capture NX2 keyword editing"
In response to Reply # 7

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Me again, what happens is this, initially having done all the above and shut down & rebooted (Win 7 64 bit)the list has indeed been edited when I look at any NEF. However as I work through my JPEG or TIFFs within Capture NX2 the keywords which are in those images accumualte as each image is selected so that the different keywords from each eventually reproduce the original long list of keywords.
So in my case I would have to delete all keywords from all images which would not be a good idea as many are used on photo web sites where the keywords will be used as searches.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #4513 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.