Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #4454
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why do JPGs look different in CNX vs. other programs" Previous topic | Next topic
MarcG19 Registered since 16th Apr 2009Tue 14-Dec-10 12:42 AM
289 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Why do JPGs look different in CNX vs. other programs"

Arlington, US

All,

A weird things came up (sorry if this is a FAQ)....

when I process a raw file and save a JPG in Capture NX, if I open the same JPG in, Windows Picture viewer, it's about half a stop darker and the colors look different.

What gives?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Marc

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"90% of my best life's work could have been made with a manual body, a 24mm lens, and a telephoto zoom in the 80-200 range"
- Galen Rowell
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Why do JPGs look different in CNX vs. other program...
gpoole Platinum Member
14th Dec 2010
PAStime Silver Member
14th Dec 2010
MarcG19
14th Dec 2010
TiggerGTO Silver Member
15th Dec 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
15th Dec 2010

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Tue 14-Dec-10 01:25 AM
3671 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Why do JPGs look different in CNX vs. other programs"
In response to Reply # 0

Farmington Hills, US

CNX is color space aware and will display the file using the color space specified in the file. Picture Viewer will assume the file is sRGB. My guess is you saved the file as Adobe RGB. An Adobe RGB file will appear "flat" when displayed by a non color space aware program. To avoid the problem add a step in CNX to convert the file to sRGB before saving.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Tue 14-Dec-10 01:53 AM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Why do JPGs look different in CNX vs. other programs"
In response to Reply # 1

Kingston, CA

Yup, that is my guess too. Peter

MarcG19 Registered since 16th Apr 2009Tue 14-Dec-10 08:32 PM
289 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Why do JPGs look different in CNX vs. other programs"
In response to Reply # 2

Arlington, US

Thanks, Gents. That still doesn't seem to be doing it. But I'm going to go through the Color Management instructions in the manual again step by step and double check that I'm doing everything right.

For that matter, are there better resources out there re: CNX2 color management?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Marc

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"90% of my best life's work could have been made with a manual body, a 24mm lens, and a telephoto zoom in the 80-200 range"
- Galen Rowell
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Wed 15-Dec-10 12:05 AM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Why do JPGs look different in CNX vs. other programsB"
In response to Reply # 1

Apex, US

By the way, the browser in Capture NX2 (and I assume in NX) is not color managed. The main edit window is, but the browser is not.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 15-Dec-10 02:22 PM
4265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Why do JPGs look different in CNX vs. other programsB"
In response to Reply # 4

Alberta, CA

>By the way, the browser in Capture NX2 (and I assume in NX)
>is not color managed. The main edit window is,
>but the browser is not.
>
>Danny
>>size="2"]A Nikonian in North Carolina

Hi Danny,

What do you mean by browser vs edit. Are you just referring to the thumbnail viewer side? ( I use dual monitors )

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #4454 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.