nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #4438
View in linear mode

Subject: "problems viewing metedata" Previous topic | Next topic
streak Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Nov 2007Mon 13-Dec-10 12:17 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"problems viewing metedata"

AU

I am using ViewNX2. When I have re-sized an image, I can no longer view all the metadata for that image. Of particular importance for my work is the date and time when the image was taken which normally resides in File Info 2. After processing, I can only see the 'date modified' field in File Info 1. Any help would be welcome.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: problems viewing metadata
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
13th Dec 2010
streak Silver Member
13th Dec 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
13th Dec 2010
Reply message RE: problems viewing metedata
streak Silver Member
13th Dec 2010
Freewheeler10
13th Dec 2010
streak Silver Member
13th Dec 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
13th Dec 2010
streak Silver Member
13th Dec 2010
Freewheeler10
14th Dec 2010
streak Silver Member
14th Dec 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
14th Dec 2010
streak Silver Member
14th Dec 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
14th Dec 2010
streak Silver Member
14th Dec 2010
streak Silver Member
16th Dec 2010
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
16th Dec 2010
streak Silver Member
16th Dec 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
16th Dec 2010
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
16th Dec 2010
streak Silver Member
16th Dec 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
16th Dec 2010
17th Dec 2010
cliddell Silver Member
16th Dec 2010
Pipwheat
16th Dec 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
16th Dec 2010
Freewheeler10
17th Dec 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
17th Dec 2010
cchoc Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, most notably in Landscape Photography
17th Dec 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
17th Dec 2010
cchoc Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, most notably in Landscape Photography
17th Dec 2010
streak Silver Member
17th Dec 2010
Freewheeler10
18th Dec 2010
18th Dec 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
18th Dec 2010
18th Dec 2010
20th Dec 2010
streak Silver Member
09th Jan 2011

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberMon 13-Dec-10 12:32 AM
35444 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: problems viewing metadata"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 13-Dec-10 01:41 AM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

How do you save the resized file?

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

streak Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Nov 2007Mon 13-Dec-10 03:26 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: problems viewing metadata"
In response to Reply # 1

AU

I save the file as a 72 dpi, jpeg. My frustration is that following a hard-drive crash a couple of months ago I lost the Nikon View program which came with my earlier D100 - a program no longer supported by Nikon. With it, the relevant data stayed with the image and was readily viewed.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 13-Dec-10 04:15 AM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: problems viewing metadata"
In response to Reply # 2

Chicago, US

By any chance, did you have the "Remove camera information" option selected?

George
My Nikonian Galleries

streak Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Nov 2007Mon 13-Dec-10 06:22 AM
#4. "RE: problems viewing metedata"
In response to Reply # 0

AU

I know of no "Remove camera information" option. Maybe it is selected. Where do I find this option?

Thanks for your help.

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Mon 13-Dec-10 01:57 PM
1105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: problems viewing metedata"
In response to Reply # 4

Englewood, US

>I know of no "Remove camera information" option.
>Maybe it is selected. Where do I find this option?

Here's where I find it, in the Convert Files Tab
___Gary

http://gallery.me.com/freewheeler
http://freewheeler10.blogspot.com/

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

streak Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Nov 2007Mon 13-Dec-10 08:56 PM
#6. "RE: problems viewing metedata"
In response to Reply # 5

AU

I found the dialogue screen you showed, but the boxes are not ticked. I use Photoshop CS2 to process my images. I have looked at every possibility which might allow me to choose which metadata is retained and cannot fathom why the program chooses to show only the File Info 1 containing the Date Created and Date Modified rather than File Info 2 which shows the Date Shot. For some reason I don't understand, the Date Created in File Info 1 is not the same as Date Shot in File Info 2.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 13-Dec-10 09:27 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: problems viewing metadata"
In response to Reply # 6

Chicago, US

In many Adobe products, save for web removes metadata.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

streak Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Nov 2007Mon 13-Dec-10 10:15 PM
#8. "RE: problems viewing metadata"
In response to Reply # 7

AU

I am sure the problem resides with the ViewNX2 program because I have been using Photoshop CS2 for several years and the metadata was always visible for processed images when viewed with NikonView (the earlier version of ViewNX.) I feel there must be a setting I have missed - or should I accept that the newer improved Nikon viewing software is actually a step backwards in this respect.

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Tue 14-Dec-10 02:02 PM
1105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: problems viewing metadata"
In response to Reply # 8

Englewood, US

>I am sure the problem resides with the ViewNX2 program
>because I have been using Photoshop CS2 for several years and
>the metadata was always visible

We must be doing something different; I just opened an image in ViewNX2, resized it,
saved it, and as you can see more than File Info 1 is present in the saved image. I've used
every version of NikonView, ViewNx and ViewNx2 and never had the issue you describe.
Also note the Date Created (when I just fiddled with the image) and the Date Shot are
different as they are supposed to be.

___Gary

streak Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Nov 2007Tue 14-Dec-10 08:02 PM
#11. "RE: problems viewing metadata"
In response to Reply # 9

AU

Thank you George and Freewheeler, I really appreciate having your thoughts. As I explained, I lost Nikon View in a harddrive failure but still have it on my wife's laptop. I have taken one of my modified images to her machine and opened it in Nikon View - all the metadata is visible.
I have opened the same modified image in Photoshop and gone to File > File Info and again the 'date shot' is there. So, the information is not being stripped by Photoshop as implied by the Techie I rang at the Nikon Support help line.
The problem must lie in the way the metadata is displaying on my ViewNX 2 program. I certainly do not have multiple fields visible as shown in Freewheeler's post. Once I modify the image, the only metadata left is that shown in the File Info 1 field.
Yesterday I installed the update to take my version from 2.0.1 to 2.0.3 but there was no improvement. Perhaps I have to remove the program completely and re-install from scratch??

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 14-Dec-10 04:16 PM
#10. "RE: problems viewing metadata"
In response to Reply # 8
Tue 14-Dec-10 04:26 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Can you see the Exif data in PhotoShop CS2 for the problem images?
Making sure CS2 has some data somewhere.

Can you use a 3rd party Exif viewer and see the data?
Making sure the data is there.

If you see the data, in what section of the metadata is it classified as Exif, IPTC, XMP, MakerNote, or Custom?

A sample image might help others see the issue.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

streak Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Nov 2007Tue 14-Dec-10 08:15 PM
#12. "RE: problems viewing metadata"
In response to Reply # 10

AU

G'day George,

I am not sure I understand your third question. When I have the modified image open in Photoshop, and go to File > File Info > Advanced, I can see the Date Shot in TIFF Properties, XMP Core Properties, EXIF Properties and PDF Properties.

Does this answer the question?

Hugh

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 14-Dec-10 08:38 PM
#13. "RE: problems viewing metadata"
In response to Reply # 12

Chicago, US

PhotoShop uses a special side car file, that is a file associated with the image that holds information which may or may not be included in the image. The side car file is only matched up to the image by the Adobe programs that access a special database maintained by the Adobe product but this data is not shared with other programs.

Without a sample image, it is hard to tell what is going on.

Have you been able to view the metadata in any other program?

The Exif data consist of various sections. Some of the data is repeated in other sections and some data is unique to a specific section. Some programs add additional data, ignore or possibly remove data.

Exif is an industry standard.
IPTC is used by wire services.
XMP is Adobe's replacement for IPTC.
MakerNote is unique by manufacturer and possible model.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

streak Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Nov 2007Tue 14-Dec-10 10:35 PM
#14. "RE: problems viewing metadata"
In response to Reply # 13

AU

I posted two replies and I think I answered your questions in post No. 9 where I responded to both George and Freewheeler. I have to head off to work now so will post an image tonight. I am fairly new to posting to the forum so may make a few bungles on the way through.

streak Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Nov 2007Thu 16-Dec-10 04:30 AM
#15. "RE: problems viewing metadata"
In response to Reply # 13

AU

Attached is an image taken in early September. ViewNX 2 is giving today's date for both Date Created and Date Modified but is not showing Date Shot. Photoshop still shows the date shot under File > File Info.

Any ideas or feed-back would be welcome.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 16-Dec-10 09:48 AM
13501 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#16. "RE: problems viewing metadata"
In response to Reply # 15
Thu 16-Dec-10 10:02 AM by robsb

San Jose, US

I believe this is a bug. Date shot shows in Capture NX2 and in View NX2 I created a custom preset in Meta Data to show date shot which is under File Info 2 but the preset did not change the viewable data as it should have. The standard view only includes File Info 1 and that is why you are not seeing date shot. Why View NX2 will let you set up custom presets to let you display the image data you want and then have it not work means there is a bug and it should be reported to Nikon, so I filed a bug report tonight.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

streak Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Nov 2007Thu 16-Dec-10 10:36 AM
#17. "RE: problems viewing metadata"
In response to Reply # 16

AU

Thanks Robsb,

How does this equate with the response #9 from Freewheeler in which he is able to see the Date Shot in File Info 2 in his version of View NX 2??

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 16-Dec-10 04:07 PM
#19. "RE: problems viewing metadata"
In response to Reply # 17

Chicago, US

They are looking at a different image than you are.

Using Nikon View NX2 version 2.03 your image only shows "File Info 1" metadata, while other images not processed by Adobe software have "File Info 1", "File Info 2", "Camera Info", "Exposure", "Flash", "Image Settings", "Picture Control", and "GPS" sections.

It appears that Adobe software is modifying this data in a manner that prevents Nikon View NX2 from displaying the information.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 16-Dec-10 09:12 PM
13501 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#22. "RE: problems viewing metadata"
In response to Reply # 19

San Jose, US

>They are looking at a different image than you are.
>
>Using Nikon View NX2 version 2.03 your image only shows
>"File Info 1" metadata, while other images not
>processed by Adobe software have "File Info 1",
>"File Info 2", "Camera Info",
>"Exposure", "Flash", "Image
>Settings", "Picture Control", and
>"GPS" sections.
>
>It appears that Adobe software is modifying this data in a
>manner that prevents Nikon View NX2 from displaying the
>information.

Guy's You are all correct. Last night I opened the Ops image in View NX2 and did not see the File Info 2 and created a custom setting to show it, but the "ALL" selection actually has everything in it that "Custom" lets you select individually. It must have been late, and my brain was running on 2 cylinders, because I did not check any of my own images, which are not processed in Adobe SW, and when I tried that this morning I saw every seting on my own images, so it is definately related to how Adobe is processing the file, and it may be that all of this data is in the side car, and not in the main file.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

streak Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Nov 2007Thu 16-Dec-10 09:33 PM
#23. "RE: problems viewing metadata"
In response to Reply # 22

AU

G'day Bob,

I do not understand your comment that "it may be that all of this data is in the side car, and not in the main file". Are you talking View NX 2 or Photoshop?

Does this imply that I may be able to make changes to the way that View NX 2 displays so I can see the metadata or is it hidden by Photoshop and not able to be displayed by View NX 2?

I must say I am surprised that, if this is a bug in View NX 2, that I am the only photographer who is troubled by being unable to access the Date Shot field in processed images.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 16-Dec-10 10:03 PM
#24. "RE: problems viewing metadata"
In response to Reply # 23

Chicago, US

Adobe uses 'sidecar' files to store data and there is a special catalog file that has the association of the image file and sidecar file.

But when using a 3rd party Exif viewer, I can see the data that would display in File Info 2 group or other groups that are not displaying. So I do not think this is a sidecar file issue. I have also seen this issue with images edited by software other than Nikon or Adobe.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 17-Dec-10 08:32 AM
#25. "RE: problems viewing metadata"
In response to Reply # 23

San Jose, US

>G'day Bob,
>
>I do not understand your comment that "it may be that all
>of this data is in the side car, and not in the main
>file". Are you talking View NX 2 or Photoshop?
>
>Does this imply that I may be able to make changes to the way
>that View NX 2 displays so I can see the metadata or is it
>hidden by Photoshop and not able to be displayed by View NX
>2?
>
>I must say I am surprised that, if this is a bug in View NX 2,
>that I am the only photographer who is troubled by being
>unable to access the Date Shot field in processed images.

I have let the request to Nikon stand because I still think there is an issue because Capture NX2 will display the Date Shot field. My supposition that it may be in the side car file was just that a supposition. But let us assume for amoment that the data may be handled differently by Capture NX2 and View NX2. If that is true then it would be a limitation of the View NX2 code. What is beyond refute is that files unprocessed by Adobe have no issues with all Metadata being displayed by View NX2 and it is also true that Capture NX2 will display date shot even if it was processed by Adobe.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Thu 16-Dec-10 03:53 PM
1007 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: problems viewing metadata"

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Hi Bob,
I see that this pic has been through PS. It's my bet that PS has stripped the data because my ViewNX2 shows no data at all.

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Pipwheat Registered since 07th Jul 2010Thu 16-Dec-10 05:03 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: problems viewing metadata"
In response to Reply # 18

UK

Hi Bob
I'm probably missing something here, but anyway here goes...

Can you try hovering your mouse pointer over the double,thin line between the Adjustments and Metadata, then moving the border to show more info and less adjustments

All the best.
Pip

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 16-Dec-10 05:43 PM
#21. "RE: problems viewing metadata"
In response to Reply # 20
Thu 16-Dec-10 06:06 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

The issue is that Adobe processed images do not display all of the expected Exif data. The data is not removed but Nikon View NX2 for some reason can not process the data and ignores it and in ignoring the data does not display the additional groups. See the screen shots below that show what Nikon View NX2 is displaying.

Posted sample in Nikon View NX2:

An image not processed by Adobe software:

I am able to see the missig data when using ExifTool by Phil Harvey and Opanda viewers.

Another reason for creating a backup before processing images.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Fri 17-Dec-10 01:50 PM
#26. "RE: problems viewing metadata"

Englewood, US

>I believe this is a bug. Date shot shows in Capture NX2 and
>in View NX2 I created a custom preset in Meta Data to show
>date shot which is under File Info 2 but the preset did not
>change the viewable data as it should have. The standard view
>only includes File Info 1 and that is why you are not seeing
>date shot.

What standard view? My standard view includes File Info 1, File Info 2,
Camera Info, Exposure, Flash, Image Settings, Picture Control, etc. etc.
Note that the Metadata dropdown is indicating "All"; I have never changed
this, so over here this is my normal view.

___Gary

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 17-Dec-10 03:37 PM
#27. "RE: problems viewing metadata"
In response to Reply # 26
Fri 17-Dec-10 09:36 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

And what happens if all the data in "File Info 2", "Camera Info", etc. is missing or not accessible by Nikon View NX2 or the data is taken from a different section of the MetaData that is now missing, like the MakerNote. My test and posting shows that these data sections do not appear in Nikon View NX2 for Hugh's provided image, see reply #21.

The top image is Hugh's example image opened in Nikon View NX2 ver 2.03 showing "All" metadata and the bottom image shows one of my images in the same program and version with the "All" metadata option. Note that the change in the sections of data available to the user.

In reply #24, I used ExifGui and ExifTool to examine the example image's Exif data, and the missing data appears in the Exif section. The following image shows the MakerNote for Hugh's image:

I see that Nikon ViewNX2 displays different data for different images.

If you want to repeat what I did by clicking on the |Attachment #1, (jpg file) in reply #15 to open Hugh's image in your web browser, save the file as a Jpeg to your local system, open the saved Jpeg in your version of Nikon ViewNX2, and observe what is displayed.

I observe the same issue Hugh has noted when opening images resized by Windows image resizing tool. Also the MakerNote data has been removed by the process.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

cchoc Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, most notably in Landscape Photography Charter MemberFri 17-Dec-10 09:40 PM
4673 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#29. "RE: problems viewing metadata"
In response to Reply # 27

Marietta, US

Since the makernote data is proprietary and the format isn't publish by the camera makers a lot of software vendors don't try to rewrite it when exif data is changed, they just drop it. That's because an error in rewriting the proprietary data could corrupt the rest of the data.

Charlie...
stalking light

Nikonians Team Member

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 17-Dec-10 10:10 PM
#30. "RE: problems viewing metadata"
In response to Reply # 29
Fri 17-Dec-10 10:19 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

And how does not having the MakerNote affect the data provided by Nikon View NX2?

My guess is that if the MakerNote is not present, then the additional data groups are not displayed even if the data is in the Exif data for the image.

With IrfanView I can optionally save the original Exif data includng the maker note for a processed image using the "Save As..." option. without any problems. And Nikon View NX2 can still process the image.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

cchoc Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, most notably in Landscape Photography Charter MemberFri 17-Dec-10 10:49 PM
4673 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#31. "RE: problems viewing metadata"
In response to Reply # 30

Marietta, US

IrfanView developers chose to save it, at least in CS2 I'm pretty sure Adobe did not. Why NX2 has a problem with the data when the makernote is missing I don't know.

A lot of EXIF viewers found on the web reverse engineer the makernote data for the various camera manufacturers. It's not all that hard to do; back when I was using CS2 I wrote some PHP code to extract the lens information for web galleries but later versions of Adobe software started extracting that information from the makernote. I'm not sure they rewrite it even in CS5, though.

Charlie...
stalking light

Nikonians Team Member

streak Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Nov 2007Fri 17-Dec-10 08:53 PM
#28. "RE: problems viewing metadata"

AU

Hi Freewheeler,

Is your standard view of an image processed with Photoshop?

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Sat 18-Dec-10 01:31 PM
#33. "RE: problems viewing metadata"
In response to Reply # 28

Englewood, US

>Hi Freewheeler,
>
>Is your standard view of an image processed with Photoshop?

No. Closest I can get is Elements on the wife's machine. I just grabbed a nef
and sent it to her machine, made a small change in the image on her computer
and saved as jpeg, sent it back to my machine. Back in 1990-91, a friend and I
managed to scrape together the $1,000 for a copy of Photoshop 1.0; he liked
it, I hated it from the get-go. He went on to become very good at it, I never
went beyond the first couple versions. I can barely use Elements on my wife's
machine.
___Gary

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 18-Dec-10 02:11 AM
#32. "RE: problems viewing metadata"

San Jose, US

Gary if you see my other post, when I looked at the OP's image, View NX did not respond with the full list when I selected all, but I did not go back and check with one of my own non Adobe processed images which of course shows just what you have in your post. If I opened his file in Capture NX2 then the proper data was shown. I have asked Nikon if the code is different for Capture and View.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sat 18-Dec-10 04:53 PM
#34. "RE: problems viewing metadata"
In response to Reply # 32

Chicago, US

When I open the Hugh's (the original poster) image in Nikon View NX2, as shown, there is expected Exif data missing. I have posted images show that the Exif data exits and that the MakerNote data is missing. This not unexpected when using Adobe or other products. When I open the image with Nikon Capture NX2, I see the missing Exif data. So it is very apparent from my experience and that of others that Nikon View NX2 for some reason is not processing the available Exif data when the MakerNote data is missing. Without being able to completely debug Nikon View NX2 at the machine code level, it is not possible to definitively assume this is the cause of the problem.

The above issue could be by Nikon's design or a programming error in this very basic image editor.

But it is very clear that Nikon View NX2 does not show Exif data on images processed by many non-Nikon product.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 18-Dec-10 10:20 PM
#35. "RE: problems viewing metadata"
In response to Reply # 34

San Jose, US

George I agree. Nikon has yet to respond to my question, but I will post the answer when they do. As you say this is either on purpose or an oversight on their part, as it works in Capture NX2.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 20-Dec-10 05:44 AM
#36. "RE: problems viewing metedata"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

This is Nikon's response:

"Thank you for sharing your findings. Although we do not offer support for photos edited with any other software except for Nikon's just because we do not know what kind of changes softwares like Adobe softwares can make to picture's metadata. However, we appreciate you letting us know about this and will be looking into it to find out why CaptureNX 2 can see these changes while ViewNX 2 can't"

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

streak Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Nov 2007Sun 09-Jan-11 04:18 AM
#37. "RE: problems viewing metedata"
In response to Reply # 36

AU

Again, thank you all for your interest in this topic. I have just stumbled on a way to find the time and date shot on a modified image.

When viewing the screen of thumbnails in ViewNX2, go to Select View Mode and choose Image Viewer - which shows an enlarged image with a row of thumbnails across the bottom of the screen. Then click on the i (for information) icon at the top right of the enlarged image. A small square transparent information panel will appear in the top left-hand corner of the image. In part, this panel has the time and date when the image was shot.

Amazing.

Best wishes to all for the New Year.

cheers, Hugh

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #4438 Previous topic | Next topic