Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #439
View in linear mode

Subject: "Wish List for Capture NX3" Previous topic | Next topic
Ramd41 Silver Member Charter MemberThu 31-Dec-09 10:24 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Wish List for Capture NX3"

Morristown, US

While I've heard nothing about NX3 coming about, one would hope sometime this year it will be here. Love to hear from others what their wish list is. Here are a couple of things I'd like to see in any new version:

1. Fix the white balance interface. While NX2 is better than any other converter out there in WB conversion for Nikon cameras, if one wants to season to taste, NX2 makes it less than intuitive. Why not just give us sliders more like LR? Right now it requires too many clicks. Pick a WB other than the recorded value, then pick the subcategory, then move the sliders. Just let us go from the recorded value right to the sliders.

2. Histogram. Let us go into the histogram like LR does and click on an area and raise or lower that area of the histogram. Very easy and effective.

3. Interface. NX2 was a big step up from NX, but I still find it cludgy. Given Nik's ability to make plug-ins etc. much more intuitive, they could do far better here. I've worked with NX2 since soon after it came out and I'm still not completely comfortable with it. Maybe its just me, but I have to think they can do better. As just one example, look at Picture Control. Great to have, but after you pick one of the choices and go to the Quick Adjust slider I never feel comfortable understanding exactly what it's doing (it's changing multiple components at a time - i.e. contrast, sharpness, saturation - but how much? Who knows?). Yes, I've read Jason O'Dell's book so I have a better idea, but without constantly going back to it, I really don't remember. The slider adjustment is also very course. It could be benefit from finer adjustments and allowing us to independently adjust saturation, contrast, etc.

4. Build in some tutorials. It would nice to have context sensitive tutorials where if you are having a problem with one of the tools you don't use frequently, you could right (control) click and select an option to go to a quick video tutorial.

5. Speed, speed, speed. Need I say more? This can't seriously be considered a pro application when you really can't batch process like you can in Capture One or LR.

All in all I still use NX2, but with LR3 in beta and the finished product on the horizon, it is still a constant draw just because of its more elegant interface, much faster speed and myriad tools. Still, nothing beats control points for certain tasks, so I'm sticking so far with NX2. But it could be so much better.

What do you want to see in the next version?

Best,
David

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Wish List for Capture NX3
nwcs Silver Member
01st Jan 2010
PK
01st Jan 2010
beentherdunit
02nd Jan 2010
Freewheeler10
02nd Jan 2010
mklass Platinum Member
02nd Jan 2010
Ramd41 Silver Member
09th Jan 2010
karlm
04th Jan 2010
Reilly M
05th Jan 2010
lovemy8514 Silver Member
07th Jan 2010

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Fri 01-Jan-10 12:27 AM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Wish List for Capture NX3"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

Here is an earlier thread with our wish lists (all 84 posts). You can see we want a lot from the next version. Whether they provide it....

PK Registered since 14th Dec 2003Fri 01-Jan-10 04:51 PM
216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Wish List for Capture NX3"
In response to Reply # 0

Charlotte, US

I see the link to the other thread, and I will look them over. I am renaming all of my files at this time and have been jumping from where these files are being renamed to this forum. I would never try to rename all of these files and folders in NX2. They would crash. So, I am doing this work in CS4 and after four eight hour days of work (and still counting) I have not had one burb out of CS4. If I could get my plug in moved to CS4 I might move to lightroom all together. As it is I am moving in that direction. I have really liked how NX2 has worked, but it isn't a stable program. I have lately asked myself, would I buy a camera from Adobe? Why then would I buy a software program from Nikon? I am still using it, but I am not sure for how long. I didn't think I would have said this a week ago, but after using CS4 to rename all of these files and no problems, it makes me want to move to Adobe. I really need a DAM system, and that is what I an working on and why I am in the process of renaming my library.

www.photosbypike.com

PK

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

beentherdunit Registered since 30th Dec 2009Sat 02-Jan-10 07:51 AM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Wish List for Capture NX3"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

David,

On your WB suggestion - NX2 mimics the in-camera controls and allows you to change the image in the software using those in-camera controls.

Wouldn't having a different set of controls in software be counter-intuitive?

Having a single slider for WB would bring it more into line with other software, but it is not what I would want. I like it's individuality and the way it operates.

BTD

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Sat 02-Jan-10 12:58 PM
1105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Wish List for Capture NX3"
In response to Reply # 0

Englewood, US

I like the White Balance the way it is. I appreciate the ability to "twist and
tweak" the WB settings to get exactly what I want.

Photographers' Tea: Earl 18% Grey

http://gallery.me.com/freewheeler
http://freewheeler10.blogspot.com/

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 02-Jan-10 02:50 PM
5908 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Wish List for Capture NX3"
In response to Reply # 4

Tacoma, US

I guess if I wanted NX2 to do things like LR does, I would just use LR. In general, I like the NX2 interface.

Anyway, my choices are:

1.PRINTING: Using NX2 in Vista 64 I can't set the printer and options until after I choose PRINT in the preview window.(except for paper size and orientation). This is a pain if you use more than one printer.

2. CROPPING: Allow crop adjustments after setting it, rather than needing to delete the old crop and set a new one.

3. NOISE: Improve noise reduction. It isn't all that good. Perhaps integrate Dfine or crease a Dfine plug-in?

4. GENERAL: Put index marks (values) on the sliders that don't have them to make it easier to set. For example, the Quick Fix Exposure Compensation slider could have 0.3 0.5 0.7 1.0 etc. Make it possible to "snap" to those values".

5. GENERAL: Allow consistent tabbing between value settings boxes. Again,in the Quick Fix box, for example.

6: SPEED: Speed is good!

7: SUPPORT: Better support system. Leverage Nik ownership interest to get more plug-ins.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

Ramd41 Silver Member Charter MemberSat 09-Jan-10 11:40 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Wish List for Capture NX3"
In response to Reply # 5

Morristown, US

While I see a couple of people who prefer the NX2's method of WB, and I respect that there's some people would just like one way better than another, I don't think that wanting a more efficient implementation of WB means that one should give up NX2 in favor of LR. There's much to recommend NX2, but as LR becomes more and more sophisticated (e.g. LR3), NX2 will lose more and more devotees if it doesn't become more efficient. And if it loses more practitioners, why would Nik and Nikon keep updating it? And I'm not talking about batch processing. NX2 could, as far as I'm concerned, remain the processor of choice for those of us who want the best conversion from individual NEF images. But whether it is more like LR (nothing wrong with copying something well executed) or follows some other protocol, I just think its not intuitive now and could be better executed.

Regards,
David

karlm Basic MemberMon 04-Jan-10 07:08 PM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Wish List for Capture NX3"
In response to Reply # 0

Banyuls sur Mer, FR

Possibility to undock the drop down menus from the Edit List palette so that they can be placed side by side. In that way one could keep them open all the time and do away with the scrolling, which would save time. This would be especially useful when a second monitor is used for the tools and palettes.

Karl

Reilly M Registered since 26th Jul 2008Tue 05-Jan-10 12:59 AM
983 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Wish List for Capture NX3"
In response to Reply # 0

Monrovia, US

A real clone tool?

yours,
Reilly

The only stupid question is the one you should have asked....

lovemy8514 Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Oct 2007Thu 07-Jan-10 05:43 AM
2414 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Wish List for Capture NX3"
In response to Reply # 0

Columbia, US

As you said, speed is my number one issue.

Rolling it out simultaneously with a compatible Silver Efex Pro would be nice too.

Allow other third party software developers to develop plug-ins. (Alien Skin, etc)

J a m e s
My Gallery

Using his camera as a pen, it is the photographer's job to tell a story: Each page authored in frozen moments of time.

All of my work is dedicated to my father, Terry Lee Geib (1943-2009)

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #439 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.