nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Ramd41

Morristown, US
23 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Ramd41 Silver Member Charter Member
Thu 31-Dec-09 10:24 PM

While I've heard nothing about NX3 coming about, one would hope sometime this year it will be here. Love to hear from others what their wish list is. Here are a couple of things I'd like to see in any new version:

1. Fix the white balance interface. While NX2 is better than any other converter out there in WB conversion for Nikon cameras, if one wants to season to taste, NX2 makes it less than intuitive. Why not just give us sliders more like LR? Right now it requires too many clicks. Pick a WB other than the recorded value, then pick the subcategory, then move the sliders. Just let us go from the recorded value right to the sliders.

2. Histogram. Let us go into the histogram like LR does and click on an area and raise or lower that area of the histogram. Very easy and effective.

3. Interface. NX2 was a big step up from NX, but I still find it cludgy. Given Nik's ability to make plug-ins etc. much more intuitive, they could do far better here. I've worked with NX2 since soon after it came out and I'm still not completely comfortable with it. Maybe its just me, but I have to think they can do better. As just one example, look at Picture Control. Great to have, but after you pick one of the choices and go to the Quick Adjust slider I never feel comfortable understanding exactly what it's doing (it's changing multiple components at a time - i.e. contrast, sharpness, saturation - but how much? Who knows?). Yes, I've read Jason O'Dell's book so I have a better idea, but without constantly going back to it, I really don't remember. The slider adjustment is also very course. It could be benefit from finer adjustments and allowing us to independently adjust saturation, contrast, etc.

4. Build in some tutorials. It would nice to have context sensitive tutorials where if you are having a problem with one of the tools you don't use frequently, you could right (control) click and select an option to go to a quick video tutorial.

5. Speed, speed, speed. Need I say more? This can't seriously be considered a pro application when you really can't batch process like you can in Capture One or LR.

All in all I still use NX2, but with LR3 in beta and the finished product on the horizon, it is still a constant draw just because of its more elegant interface, much faster speed and myriad tools. Still, nothing beats control points for certain tasks, so I'm sticking so far with NX2. But it could be so much better.

What do you want to see in the next version?

Best,
David

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Wish List for Capture NX3