Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #4369
View in linear mode

Subject: "View NX2 'Save As' Bug makes it unusable for jpgs." Previous topic | Next topic
Pipwheat Registered since 07th Jul 2010Wed 01-Dec-10 03:51 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"View NX2 'Save As' Bug makes it unusable for jpgs."

GB

When any minor edit is made to a jpg using View NX2 then Saved As the resultant file is a lot smaller than the original.
There is no choice to select file size/quality.

Does anyone have a work around?

I shoot RAW now, but have many images in jpg only as my old PC was struggling for space. The i7 Core processors in the new PC are not compatible with Capture NX.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: View NX2 'Save As' Bug makes it unusable for jpgs.
robsb Platinum Member
02nd Dec 2010
Pipwheat
02nd Dec 2010
pshnikchch Silver Member
02nd Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
02nd Dec 2010
robsb Platinum Member
02nd Dec 2010
sevtcard Silver Member
03rd Dec 2010
robsb Platinum Member
06th Dec 2010
Reply message RE: View NX2 'Save As' Bug makes it unusable for jpgs ?...
Len Shepherd Gold Member
04th Dec 2010
Pipwheat
06th Dec 2010
tamjoe2010
06th Dec 2010

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 02-Dec-10 12:15 AM
12818 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: View NX2 'Save As' Bug makes it unusable for jpgs."
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

I would just buy the upgrade to Capture NX2, it is so much more powerful than trying to use either View NX2 or Capture NX.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Pipwheat Registered since 07th Jul 2010Thu 02-Dec-10 08:10 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: View NX2 'Save As' Bug makes it unusable for jpgs."
In response to Reply # 1

GB

From Nikon:

"Thank you for your response.

Yes the latest version of Capture NX is 2.2.6 and was recently released but unfortunately this update does not include compatibility for users of i7 Core processors. Again, apologies for any inconvenience caused by this."

Also:

"Yes, when saving an altered file in View NX2 the resulting file size will appear to be smaller than the original. Unfortunately there is currently no option to adjust this, but Nikon Japan are aware of customers concerns with regards this usage.

With regards to Capture NX2, i'm sorry but unfortunately at this stage there have been no announcements as to an update release date."

Capture NX2 is £176 ($275) in the UK and doesn't work with my set up and no intended fix.

pshnikchch Silver Member Nikonian since 16th May 2007Thu 02-Dec-10 08:54 AM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: View NX2 'Save As' Bug makes it unusable for jpgs."
In response to Reply # 2

Christchurch, NZ

>From Nikon:
>
>"Thank you for your response.
>
>Yes the latest version of Capture NX is 2.2.6 and was recently
>released but unfortunately this update does not include
>compatibility for users of i7 Core processors. Again,
>apologies for any inconvenience caused by this."

Curious: what do they mean "not compatible".

At least on my OS X running on an i7 processor CNX 2.2.6 runs very well.

Peter

http://www.pastoralsystems.co.nz/photography/

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 02-Dec-10 11:14 AM
29017 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: View NX2 'Save As' Bug makes it unusable for jpgs."
In response to Reply # 2

Paignton, GB

>Capture NX2 is £176 ($275) in the UK and doesn't work with my
>set up and no intended fix.

Capture NX2 is available from reputable UK retailers for around £130, or an upgrade (for registered Capture NX users) can be purchased for around £80.

I'm not sure what the incompatibility might be between Capture NX2 and Core i7 processors?

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 02-Dec-10 05:14 PM
12818 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: View NX2 'Save As' Bug makes it unusable for jpgs."
In response to Reply # 2

San Jose, US

Thanks for that input. I am still running a Core Duo E6700 with 8 GB of RAM and Win 7 64 bit with no problems with CNX2 2.2.6. I am sure this will all be resolved in future updates, but this is the first I have heard of anyone not being able to run CNX2 with an I7 chip.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

sevtcard Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009Fri 03-Dec-10 10:27 PM
328 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: View NX2 'Save As' Bug makes it unusable for jpgs."
In response to Reply # 2

Brattleboro, US

i think this just means that nx2 can't take advantage of multiple cores or extended memory. i have a 980x i7 processor with 12gigs....nx2 runs in one core and has the same memory problems that it always had on my core duo system...but, because my system is overall faster and win 7 64bit is so much better, nx2 runs MUCH more efficiently than previously (but, as i said, it still has that very annoying 'out of memory' issue, despite 12 gigs, etc)...
mark
www.broadwallphotography.com

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 06-Dec-10 06:28 PM
#10. "RE: View NX2 'Save As' Bug makes it unusable for jpgs."
In response to Reply # 6

San Jose, US

I agree with you. You can have it run in its own space and get maximum use of the 32 bit product, but Capture NX series needs 64 bit support and it needs it now.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Sat 04-Dec-10 05:02 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: View NX2 'Save As' Bug makes it unusable for jpgs ???."
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

I am unsure of what you mean.
The NX2 edit menu allows up or downsizing of file size and resolution using interpolation.
After pressing "save as" the jpeg quality option comes up.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

Pipwheat Registered since 07th Jul 2010Mon 06-Dec-10 08:14 AM
#8. "RE: View NX2 'Save As' Bug makes it unusable for jpgs ???."
In response to Reply # 7

GB

Hi Len
Think you are looking at Capture NX2 rather than View NX2?
Pip

tamjoe2010 Registered since 16th Nov 2010Mon 06-Dec-10 11:51 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: View NX2 'Save As' Bug makes it unusable for jpgs ???."
In response to Reply # 8

US

i do get jpeg quality option after "save as" in viewNX2 running on osx 10.6

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #4369 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.