Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #4345
View in linear mode

Subject: "View NX 2 bug? Screen goes blank." Previous topic | Next topic
vikenk Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Mar 2007Sat 27-Nov-10 03:17 AM
397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"View NX 2 bug? Screen goes blank."
Sat 27-Nov-10 03:22 AM by vikenk

Boston, US

Hello Everyone,

I recently upgraded to ViewNX2 and am having a strange problem with it. When I double-click a picture from the browser and go to full screen mode to start scrolling through the pictures, after a few pictures the screen just goes blank on me. All I see is a big gray window (with all the menus). If I click the mouse button and zoom in, I can see the image, but once it goes back out to full screen mode it just becomes a big gray screen again.

I'm using the RAW+JPG option that lets me view both files as one.

Anyone have a similar experience?

--
Viken K.
http://www.vikenk.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: View NX 2 bug? Screen goes blank.
gpoole Platinum Member
27th Nov 2010
vikenk Silver Member
27th Nov 2010
ajbrenn Silver Member
27th Nov 2010
vikenk Silver Member
27th Nov 2010
nrothschild Silver Member
28th Nov 2010
robsb Platinum Member
28th Nov 2010
dksledd Silver Member
28th Nov 2010
trikercarol
02nd Dec 2010
gpoole Platinum Member
02nd Dec 2010
billgreen
02nd Dec 2010
LIGHTDOG
05th Dec 2010
WRider Silver Member
13th Dec 2010
cliddell Silver Member
13th Dec 2010

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Sat 27-Nov-10 12:50 PM
3634 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: View NX 2 bug? Screen goes blank."
In response to Reply # 0

Farmington Hills, US

It happens to me and other Nikonians too. See this thread.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

vikenk Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Mar 2007Sat 27-Nov-10 01:06 PM
397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: View NX 2 bug? Screen goes blank."
In response to Reply # 1

Boston, US

Thanks Gary, that's good to know. It is certainly annoying. I'll be using View NX until the NX2 patch comes out.

--
Viken K.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ajbrenn Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Sep 2006Sat 27-Nov-10 02:15 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: View NX 2 bug? Screen goes blank."
In response to Reply # 2

US

I had the same issue until I updated the driver for my video card. It is now running well on win 7, 64 bit on an i5 processor and 8 g memory.

vikenk Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Mar 2007Sat 27-Nov-10 05:12 PM
#4. "RE: View NX 2 bug? Screen goes blank."
In response to Reply # 3

Boston, US

>I had the same issue until I updated the driver for my video
>card. It is now running well on win 7, 64 bit on an i5
>processor and 8 g memory.

As far as I know, my video drivers are all up to date. I've got it running on a laptop with a Intel on-board video.

--
Viken K.

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Sun 28-Nov-10 02:37 AM
10907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: View NX 2 bug? Screen goes blank."
In response to Reply # 0

US

I have the same problem. I shoot raw only and use XP SP3 32 bit.

I assumed it was a problem with the WIC codecs because I use FastPictureViewer Codecs.

Maybe not.. anybody else on "the list" using other WIC codecs?

Neil

my Nikonians gallery.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 28-Nov-10 11:34 PM
12588 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: View NX 2 bug? Screen goes blank."
In response to Reply # 5

San Jose, US

I use Fast Picture Viewer Codecs on an Intel E6700 based system with Win 7 64 bit and an ATI 4770 video card and have absolutely no problems. As was posted in this thread the other day, the problem is specific to a number of hardware configurations which Nikon says they are working on fixing. As I understand it it is video card related.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

dksledd Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Aug 2006Sun 28-Nov-10 09:36 PM
82 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: View NX 2 bug? Screen goes blank."
In response to Reply # 0

Spring Hill, US

I updated yesterday to NX2 and all seems to be working just fine. No problem with scrolling and screen blanking out. I am using the reliable XP with SP3.

trikercarol Registered since 28th Nov 2010Thu 02-Dec-10 01:56 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: View NX 2 bug? Screen goes blank."
In response to Reply # 0

US

I am new to the group. I have ViewNX and was going to ask if there were any real benefits to upgrade to ViewNX2. After reading this post, it sounds like I might have problems if I upgrade. I am using Windows 7 and don't know much about codecs or upgrading drivers. Would you recommend I forget upgrading?
Thanks,
Carol

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Thu 02-Dec-10 02:53 AM
3634 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: View NX 2 bug? Screen goes blank."
In response to Reply # 8

Farmington Hills, US

Installing ViewNX2 does not remove ViewNX. Try ViewNX2, if it works great, it not you still have ViewNX.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

billgreen Registered since 14th Oct 2010Thu 02-Dec-10 10:51 AM
388 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: View NX 2 bug? Screen goes blank."
In response to Reply # 8

US

I'm using NX2 with Windows 7 with no issues.

Bill

Or Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leicamini/

LIGHTDOG Registered since 18th Nov 2007Sun 05-Dec-10 09:34 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: View NX 2 bug? Screen goes blank."
In response to Reply # 0

Cowichan Bay, CA

Have same experience as OP.

FWIW, Nikon Support(Canada)claimed they had never heard of the issue.Thus no viable solutions offered.

I do use both versions though. I like the interface of VNX2 but use VNX for the heavy lifting.

Dave

WRider Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2008Mon 13-Dec-10 03:00 AM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: View NX 2 bug? Screen goes blank."
In response to Reply # 11

Terre Haute, US

My copy of View NX2 randomly blanks out my second display. It'll go along fine for a while, but suddenly the 2nd display shows only a part of the picture, then no picture at all. This problem seems to come and go randomly.

Is anyone else having this problem on a multiple display set up?

Brad

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Mon 13-Dec-10 05:56 PM
994 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: View NX 2 bug? Screen goes blank."
In response to Reply # 12

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Hi Brad,

You didn't mention your PC system but I have the same problem occasionally and I believe it is all tied to lack of memory - I am still on XP and limited by my motherboard to 2G memory.

When I have the problem I switch off and restart waiting till all my available memory is there (typically around 1.66G). Then VNX2 together with CNX2 runs perfectly.

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #4345 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.