Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #4332
View in linear mode

Subject: "The "new" View NX editing options OK?" Previous topic | Next topic
glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Thu 25-Nov-10 11:02 AM
3007 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"The "new" View NX editing options OK?"

South Australia, AU

Hi Guys,
Doing a bit of practice in the field with the lens support system,
The images were due for the trash can so I "played" around with editing in View NX

This is a lot faster than opening each image in NX2,

Are there any disadvantages of editing in View NX?
Regards,
Gary

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: The "new" View NX editing options OK?
mklass Platinum Member
25th Nov 2010
intrepidnz
25th Nov 2010
glxman Silver Member
25th Nov 2010
glxman Silver Member
25th Nov 2010
cliddell Silver Member
26th Nov 2010
glxman Silver Member
26th Nov 2010
ericbowles Moderator
27th Nov 2010
glxman Silver Member
27th Nov 2010
Pipwheat
29th Nov 2010
glxman Silver Member
29th Nov 2010
ericbowles Moderator
29th Nov 2010
Pipwheat
29th Nov 2010
ericbowles Moderator
29th Nov 2010

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 25-Nov-10 02:44 PM
6086 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: The "new" View NX editing options OK?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

Fewer options and no use of control points, but for quick adjustments it's not too bad. I do think it is slower so save changes or convert to JPG than CNX. You can still go into CNX and do further edits and the ones you did in VNX will be there in the NEF.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

intrepidnz Registered since 18th Nov 2004Thu 25-Nov-10 04:53 PM
233 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: The "new" View NX editing options OK?"
In response to Reply # 1

NZ

The thing I like about doing edits in ViewNX is that you can do batches.

Just select all the photos that you want a particular adjustment done to, do the adjustment and then save.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Thu 25-Nov-10 09:20 PM
3007 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: The "new" View NX editing options OK?"
In response to Reply # 2

South Australia, AU

Tks,
Good point about the batch, hadn't thought of doing that, would help a lot when a series of similar images from the same area a bit under, (a common error of mine, I used to get it right for slides but tend to over do it with digital)

Regards,
Gary

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Thu 25-Nov-10 09:21 PM
#4. "RE: The "new" View NX editing options OK?"
In response to Reply # 1

South Australia, AU

Tks Mick,
I was just concerned whether the edits were as good as NX2
Regards,
Gary

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Fri 26-Nov-10 08:20 AM
1002 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: The "new" View NX editing options OK?"
In response to Reply # 4

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Hi Gary,

I believe that the edits available in VNX use the same "engine" as CNX becuse, when you open the NEF file in CNX, all edits made in VNX are applied.

Sometimes, on images I have selected to do more extensive editing in CNX, I just click the version and select original and redo everything with the wider choice of tools. Other times I just add more complex CNX editing on top of VNX edits - it depends on the image and its end use...

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Fri 26-Nov-10 10:23 AM
#6. "RE: The "new" View NX editing options OK?"
In response to Reply # 5

South Australia, AU

Tks Clive,
I get the picture, (pun intended )

Where I noticed the need was if a family shoot, (birthday in the park), was shot a touch under, a "quick fix" in View NX appeared to be the obvious solution, usually a slight tweak with exposure is all I need

Glad to hear the edits in ViewNX are OK

I use NX2 for all my landscape and wildlife but will use ViewNX for the family relative requests
Regards,
Gary

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 27-Nov-10 10:42 AM
8816 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: The "new" View NX editing options OK?"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I agrtee wth the comments posted - View Nx2 works fine and there is no reason not to use it where appropriate.

I shot a large conference recently under difficult lighting conditions. I was able to rate images, make quick edits, convert to appropriately sized JPEGs, and get tehm to the client within a few hours for publication.

If I subsequently need selective edits, I can remove the View NX2 edits as desired and create whatever non-destructive edits are desired in the RAW file with CNX2. For the conference above, I had several images that needed edits for use in a magazine, and used CNX2 as described.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Sat 27-Nov-10 11:14 AM
#8. "RE: The "new" View NX editing options OK?"
In response to Reply # 7

South Australia, AU

Tks Eric,
looks like the "new" ViewNX is used a lot more than I thought

All we need now is Nikon to add a bit of cloning, collage, remove the glitches, and we will all be happy
Regards,
Gary

Pipwheat Registered since 07th Jul 2010Mon 29-Nov-10 10:17 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: The "new" View NX editing options OK?"
In response to Reply # 8

GB

You cannot use it for editting jpgs though.
There is no 'Save As' choice and the resulting file is grossly reduced in size after the most minor adjustment.
Very, very frustrating.

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Mon 29-Nov-10 10:41 AM
#10. "RE: The "new" View NX editing options OK?"
In response to Reply # 9

South Australia, AU

Interesting!
Tks for the heads up, I only shoot raw but it is a good thing that I keep the original raw images
Regards,
Gary

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 29-Nov-10 12:17 PM
8816 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: The "new" View NX editing options OK?"
In response to Reply # 9

Atlanta, US

The "Save As" bug can be worked around via Convert as long as your edits are just in View NX2. Once you make any changes in Capture, you can no longer edit or convert in View.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Pipwheat Registered since 07th Jul 2010Mon 29-Nov-10 01:20 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: The "new" View NX editing options OK?"
In response to Reply # 11

GB

Could you outline the steps of how work round the "Save As" bug please, Eric? I've tried and can't crack it.
Sorry if this is getting off the original topic.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 29-Nov-10 05:25 PM
#13. "RE: The "new" View NX editing options OK?"
In response to Reply # 12

Atlanta, US

My mistake.

If you edit a JPEG, it forces you to Save your edits - resulting in a smaller file size. You can convert a saved RAW file to JPEG or TIF, and you can save a RAW file for later use, but I have no workaround for saving an edited JPEG without a significant decrease in the file size.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #4332 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.