Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #4281
View in linear mode

Subject: "View NX2 vs Elements 9 Raw Conversion" Previous topic | Next topic
Sourav Registered since 16th Nov 2010Sat 20-Nov-10 09:19 AM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"View NX2 vs Elements 9 Raw Conversion"

Bangalore, IN

First of all, I am kind of new to RAW workflows. So, please excuse my ignorance.

I have been using ViewNX 2 for quite some time after starting to shoot with a DSLR. Recently I have been shooting more and more with RAW so I wanted to evaluate a better RAW converter. I have just installed a trial version of Elements 9 which has ACR 6.1 included. While comparing a recently shot image at 100% crop between ViewNX2 and ACR, I find the ACR picture is slightly softer. This is with the default conversion in both the software. Can somebody please help me understand what can be the reason for this? I have included 100% crops from both the tools below.

View NX2 Converted File:

ACR Converted File:

"You just have to live and life will give you pictures." - Henri Cartier-Bresson

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sat 20-Nov-10 03:48 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: View NX2 vs Elements 9 Raw Conversion"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 20-Nov-10 03:58 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

3rd party programs only apply the White Balance of the in camera settings to an imported RAW image, all other in camera camera settings are ignored. Nikon View NX2 and Nikon Capture NX2 apply all in camera settings to the imported RAW image and allow you to modify them. The preview Jpeg thumbnail image has the in camera settings processed (cooked) into the image when the camera processes the NEF to create the Jpeg preview thumbnail. And that is why the thumbnail looks different from the opened NEF. Also the thumbnail image is not always updated by the edits to a NEF by any editing program.

If you want to edit a RAW image and have the in camera settings applied in Elements 9 or other program you can configure View NX2 and Capture NX2 to open an image open in View NX2 or Capture NX2 in another program like Elements 9 without saving the image as Jpeg or Tiff.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Mon 22-Nov-10 02:57 PM
14526 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: View NX2 vs Elements 9 Raw Conversion"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

The default sharpening is relatively mild, but it's easy to update the default with new values if you want stronger sharpening. Try bumping up the intensity by about 10 or use a setting like 40, 0.8, 35 for finer details. With a new default value that you prefer, you'll probably like the results better than what you were getting with View NX2. Keep in mind that sharpening is only one parameter that you can set in your defaults - you can change anything else that you want, too.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #4281 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.