nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #4252
View in linear mode

Subject: "Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software?" Previous topic | Next topic
KGW   US  Registered since 09th Nov 2010 Thu 18-Nov-10 03:47 AM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software?"

I'm not sure I'm clear on the advantages of using the Nikon CaptureNX software. I have CS2 and Lr2. I seem to remember reading that Capture is the ultimate software for processing the NEF files. I think this is due to a very proprietary mentality of Nikon and their raw format.

I'm very interested in working with NEF files. Does it make sense to buy Capture to work with NEF files if I already have Lr2 and CS2?

What are some of the reasons why I would buy CaptureNX in addition to the software I already have?

Any help is much appreciated.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software? robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
18th Nov 2010
Reply message RE: It depends - for you I think yes Len Shepherd Gold Member
18th Nov 2010
Reply message RE: Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software? robcran Silver Member
18th Nov 2010
Reply message RE: Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software? nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography
19th Nov 2010
     Reply message RE: Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software? Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional.
22nd Nov 2010
          Reply message RE: Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software? walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
22nd Nov 2010
Reply message RE: Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software? nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography
19th Nov 2010
     Reply message RE: Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software? Sourav
20th Nov 2010
          Reply message RE: Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software? ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
20th Nov 2010
20th Nov 2010
20th Nov 2010
                         Reply message RE: Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software? walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
20th Nov 2010
20th Nov 2010
21st Nov 2010
21st Nov 2010
                                             Reply message RE: Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software? cliddell Silver Member
21st Nov 2010
22nd Nov 2010
Reply message RE: Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software? ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
18th Nov 2010
Reply message RE: Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software? Pipwheat
18th Nov 2010
     Reply message RE: Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software? Baaker Silver Member
19th Nov 2010

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   San Jose, US  Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006 Thu 18-Nov-10 05:41 AM
13663 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 19-Nov-10 03:13 AM by robsb

If you are proficient with LR2 and CS2 you should continue to use them unless you have a need for what CNX2 can do for you. So here is a list of what CNX2 has that Adobe Products don't without add on's.

Only CNX2 can read all of the proprietary data in the NEF file which includes all off the actual camera settings and chosen Picture controls. All of these settings are applied to the NEF when you open it in CNX2 so the image you see is exactly what you saw on the back of the Camera.

Only CNX2 can properly process a NEF where ADL was set on the camera.

Only CNX2 will allow you to actually change the camera settings after the fact.

U Point Technology lets you do expert editing locally without applying masks or layers.

All CNX2 edits are saved back to the original NEF without use of sidecars and the files are smaller than Adobe files.

You can go back at any time and reedit the NEF directly.

CNX2 will do auto distortion correction for many Nikon lenses and it has a killer auto defish correction too.

There is no faster way to create perfectly edited NEF's

Added 11/18/10:

You should know that you cannot share NEF edits between Adobe Products and CNX2, neither SW will see the others edits. For those of us who use both, we usually do as much as possible in CNX2, save a copy and then using CNX2 "Open With" command send a 16 bit TIFF to Photoshop for any additional work. This would include resizing a canvas, adding a copyright signature, blending two or more images, doing pano's or HDR. By sending the TIFF you capture all of the Nikon settings and have done most of the hard work the easy way. All your colors and WB, etc. will be correct without approximation errors. In general unless you are going to do the things I just checked off, you have no reason to go to an Adobe product at all.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Len Shepherd Gold Member  Yorkshire, UK  Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003 Thu 18-Nov-10 07:34 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: It depends - for you I think yes"
In response to Reply # 1

>Only CNX2 will allow you to actually change the camera settings after the fact.
With a bonus in NEF and depending on camera settings, you often loose less file information when making changes than in any other software.

>U Point Technology lets you do expert editing locally without applying masks or layers.
For a quick idea of what NX2 expertly does in seconds that takes far longer with other programs have a look at the NX2 section in the D3x advanced guide
http://nps.nikonimaging.com/technical_solutions/pdf/D3X_TechnicalGuide.pdf

>All CNX2 edits are saved back to the original NEF without use of sidecars and the files are smaller than Adobe files.
>You can go back at any time and reedit the NEF directly.
This is a relative NX2 weakness in that to achieve this versatility when opening a heavily NX2 edited file, the computer starts from the original NEF file and processes each step - which takes time.
Saving a Tiff copy gives the best of both worlds - quick opening of the tiff, and further processing options with the NEF.

>There is no faster way to create perfectly edited NEF's
Agreed 100% - the D3x link gives an indication of the significant time savings possible.
NX2 does not do everything so you probably need other software for some things.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

robcran Silver Member  Westleigh, AU  Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007 Thu 18-Nov-10 10:33 AM
870 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software?"
In response to Reply # 1

Bob,

Not sure if LR can do this too, but with CNX2 you can save multiple versions of the same image within the NEF without any significant increase in file size.

Robert
Sydney Nikonian

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography   Knoxville, US  Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006 Fri 19-Nov-10 01:25 PM
6895 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software?"
In response to Reply # 3

You can in Lightroom. They are called virtual copies.

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional.   Vantaa, FI  Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009 Mon 22-Nov-10 07:53 AM
2578 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software?"
In response to Reply # 7

> Robert (in #3): ” Not sure if LR can do this too, but with CNX2 you can save
> multiple versions of the same image within the NEF without any significant
> increase in file size.”

>nwcs (in #7): “You can in Lightroom. They are called virtual copies”

Another option is to use snapshots, which may be closer to “versions” in NX2. The difference between a snapshot and virtual copy is that a snapshot is a stored version (a named history state) of a single photo. A photo can include several snapshots, but only one snapshot (version) is shown in Library view. In contrast, a virtual copy references image date from the actual copy, but each copy (actual or virtual) is shown separately in Library view and can have its own set of keywords. Thus the actual copy and virtual copy can respond differently to filtering by keywords.

Bob raised some very good points in #1 as to why the OP should or shouldn’t invest time and money to CNX2. I would like to add that while Nikon and Adobe software have lens profiles for some Nikkor lenses, only Adobe software has profiles for non-Nikkor lenses (like my Sigma 120-400). On the other hand, Adobe currently lacks profiles for some very common Nikkors, like my wife’s 18-105 VR.

Best regards,
Antero

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Colorado Springs, US  Nikonian since 05th May 2002 Mon 22-Nov-10 12:06 PM
15121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software?"
In response to Reply # 18

You can get a LR/ACR compatible lens profile for the 18-105mm via Adobe's new Lens Profile Downloader tool, available at labs.adobe.com. Many other profiles are also available there.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography   Knoxville, US  Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006 Fri 19-Nov-10 01:27 PM
6895 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software?"
In response to Reply # 1

Camera Raw's adjustment brush and targeted adjustment tools is fairly close to the u-point stuff in NX. And it has the baseline profiles for Nikon files and distortion correction. And you can change some settings after the fact in Camera Raw but you're correct -- not all of them. It's also a faster starting point in NX than any other tool.

I still like how NX renders overall and I sure hope there is a NX3 coming out soon but Lightroom is very capable.

Sourav   Bangalore, IN  Registered since 16th Nov 2010 Sat 20-Nov-10 11:27 AM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software?"
In response to Reply # 8

>I sure hope there is a
>NX3 coming out soon.

I have a query on this. I have an evaluation copy of Capture NX2 and so far I like the program. But I keep hearing that an update will come very soon, in which case I have to shell out the extra upgrade fee in case I purchase CNX2. So, does it make sense to hold off for a while for CNX3?

I know its an oddball question, but I am on a limited budget and can't spend a lot on PP software.

"You just have to live and life will give you pictures." - Henri Cartier-Bresson

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community   Atlanta, US  Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005 Sat 20-Nov-10 12:02 PM
9061 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software?"
In response to Reply # 9

If you are on a limited budget and will be pressed to afford an upgrade, you probably should wait. But there is not certainty on the timeframe for an upgrade - it could be a few months - or a year.

I'm not sure what you mean by an evaluation copy - a trial version good for 60 days? If you have the trial version, you only have 60 days to make a decision. I'm not aware of other evaluation copies. You can purchase the latest version but are in the same boat as all of us as to the upgrade charge - if any - for CNX3.

The free program - View NX2 - has a lot of functionality and might be an alternative.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Sourav   Bangalore, IN  Registered since 16th Nov 2010 Sat 20-Nov-10 02:01 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software?"
In response to Reply # 10
Sat 20-Nov-10 02:04 PM by Sourav

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your suggestion. By 'Evaluation Copy' I meant the 60 days Trial version.

I understand that nobody can say for certainty (except Nikon) when CNX3 will be released. I guess I will wait for at least till 1Q of next year and if nothing is announced by then I will purchase CNX2. But as it happens every time with me, I am sure CNX3 will be announced within a week of my purchase of CNX2, whenever that may happen.

Just one more question for clarification. Supposing I edit some of my existing photos in CNX2 within the trial period, when the trial days get over, will I be able to use these edited files with View NX2?

Thanks again.

"You just have to live and life will give you pictures." - Henri Cartier-Bresson

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography   Knoxville, US  Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006 Sat 20-Nov-10 04:25 PM
#12. "RE: Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software?"
In response to Reply # 11

Yes, anything you edit in Capture NX is readable by View NX after the trial period.

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Colorado Springs, US  Nikonian since 05th May 2002 Sat 20-Nov-10 04:30 PM
15121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software?"
In response to Reply # 12

Just a fine point: images edited with Capture NX2 cannot be subsequently edited in View NX2. You can view them, but not edit them.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

Sourav   Bangalore, IN  Registered since 16th Nov 2010 Sat 20-Nov-10 07:59 PM
#14. "RE: Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software?"
In response to Reply # 13

Hi Rick,

Thanks for that information. Does that mean I can't convert NEF files edited in CNX2 with View NX2 as well?

Also, is that the case with other (third party) software as well? I mean if I use a software like Elements or Lightroom, can I read and edit CNX2 edited files? I think LR will not show the CNX2 edits, but as long as I am able to convert the basic NEF file to JPEG, I am fine with that (at least, till the time I purchase CNX2).

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Colorado Springs, US  Nikonian since 05th May 2002 Sun 21-Nov-10 01:29 AM
#15. "RE: Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software?"
In response to Reply # 14

>Hi Rick,
>
>Thanks for that information. Does that mean I can't convert
>NEF files edited in CNX2 with View NX2 as well?

Yes, unfortunately.

>
>Also, is that the case with other (third party) software as
>well? I mean if I use a software like Elements or Lightroom,
>can I read and edit CNX2 edited files? I think LR will not
>show the CNX2 edits, but as long as I am able to convert the
>basic NEF file to JPEG, I am fine with that (at least, till
>the time I purchase CNX2).

No, it's only a limitation with View NX2. You can do whatever you want with other software packages.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

Sourav   Bangalore, IN  Registered since 16th Nov 2010 Sun 21-Nov-10 07:22 AM
#16. "RE: Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software?"
In response to Reply # 15

OK, looks like a bad limitation for View NX2.

Thanks for the clarification.

cliddell Silver Member  Pietermaritzburg, ZA  Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006 Sun 21-Nov-10 01:00 PM
1007 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software?"
In response to Reply # 16

Hi Sourav, you wrote:
"OK, looks like a bad limitation for View NX2"
===

At first glance it seems so. However, how would a free browser (VNX2), which does not have certain features found in CaptureNX2 have the ability to open and further edit RAW files first edited in CNX2?

Just a point, of course, ViewNX2 will fully deal with JPEG files saved from RAW files in CaptureNX in a similar way that other programs would.

Of course I would love VNX2 to have this "downward" compatability and hope for it in future versions because I make a lot of use VNX2 for image editing, renaming, deleting, printing and so on...

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Sourav   Bangalore, IN  Registered since 16th Nov 2010 Mon 22-Nov-10 03:01 PM
#20. "RE: Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software?"
In response to Reply # 17
Mon 22-Nov-10 03:03 PM by Sourav

>However, how would a free
>browser (VNX2), which does not have certain features found in
>CaptureNX2 have the ability to open and further edit RAW files
>first edited in CNX2?

I understand your point. But what I meant was ViewNX2 should have the ability to convert the RAW files edited in CNX2 to JPEG, and I am fine if VNX2 does not even show the edits made in CNX2. My current problem is I have a trial copy of CNX2. Considering I edit some of my files in CNX2 today, these files will become completely unusable when my trial period is over.

Thankfully, other RAW editors like LR or PSE will be able to work with these files, even if they do not honor the CNX2 edits. Which is exactly what Nikon should provide in VNX2.

All said and done, I have no doubt CNX2 is probably one of the best software for people primarily using NEF files.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community   Atlanta, US  Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005 Thu 18-Nov-10 12:23 PM
9061 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software?"
In response to Reply # 0

Like any software program, there is a learning curve. Capture NX2 is relatively easy to learn the basics, but has lots of capability.

Obviously we recommend Capture NX2 and use it because it is effective with Nikon NEF files. I use View NX2 as a first step to review and rate images. I use Nikon Transfer (embedded in View NX2) to download and rename files. I also use View NX2 for basic edits - adjustments to white balance, exposure, highlight protection and shadow recovery. Then I use Capture NX2 for those images that are worth having an advanced edit.

Skilled users of CS5 and LR3 find those programs to be very effective. They have more third party plugins and offer some capabilities for advanced users. Bob has done a nice job outlining the Capture NX2 specific advantages.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Pipwheat   UK  Registered since 07th Jul 2010 Thu 18-Nov-10 03:57 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software?"
In response to Reply # 4

Try it on the 60 free trial to see if it is compatable with your set up (it wasn't on mine) and get a book. I bought Capture NX2 After the Shoot by Mike Hagen, (which I look at longingly)
I'm having to use the free View NX2 for NEF processing which works OK except for jpgs which it shrinks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Baaker Silver Member  Dumbarton, UK  Nikonian since 18th Aug 2009 Fri 19-Nov-10 08:51 AM
923 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Should I buy the CaptureNX 2 software?"
In response to Reply # 5

Check out all the hardware issues before deciding to buy. If you try the 60 day trial use it for the full time and if only then there hasn't been any issues then spend your money.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43019448@N04/

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #4252 Previous topic | Next topic