nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #4219
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX2 advanced retouching techniques" Previous topic | Next topic
Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Sun 14-Nov-10 09:54 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture NX2 advanced retouching techniques"

Yorkshire, UK

The D3x guide is worthy of close attention
http://nps.nikonimaging.com/technical_solutions/pdf/D3X_TechnicalGuide.pdf

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 advanced retouching techniques
nightcat
15th Nov 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
15th Nov 2010
nightcat
16th Nov 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
16th Nov 2010
Robp Gold Member
15th Nov 2010
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
16th Nov 2010

nightcat Registered since 05th Mar 2006Mon 15-Nov-10 03:22 PM
1040 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Capture NX2 advanced retouching techniques"
In response to Reply # 0

LaCrosse,WI, US

I give up, why?

Kraig

"The wisest follow their own directions" -Euripides
"I thought there would be more elephants" -C. Columbus

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 15-Nov-10 04:17 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capture NX2 advanced retouching techniques"
In response to Reply # 1

Chicago, US

See PDF page 13-16 or pamphlet page 26-31 for

• Effective use of Capture NX 2 -1- Apply “Unsharp Mask” only to eyes
  • Effective use of Capture NX 2 -2- “Noise Reduction” makes skin smoother
  • Effective use of Capture NX 2 -3- Reflector effect after shot -1-: reducing shadows on the face and Reflector effect after shot -2-: brighten only a specific area
  • Effective use of Capture NX 2 -4- “Auto Retouch Brush” removes unwanted details.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

nightcat Registered since 05th Mar 2006Tue 16-Nov-10 02:31 PM
1040 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Capture NX2 advanced retouching techniques"
In response to Reply # 2

LaCrosse,WI, US

Thanks George,

I thought the page numbers and the pdf numbers would be the same, so I thought the pdf was defective when it only went to pg 16. I should have looked harder.

Kraig

"The wisest follow their own directions" -Euripides
"I thought there would be more elephants" -C. Columbus

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 16-Nov-10 03:38 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Capture NX2 advanced retouching techniques"
In response to Reply # 5

Chicago, US

The PDF is trying to present a numbered pamphlet with 2 pamphlet pages per PDF page. There is also an option to number the navigation pages differently from the physical page of the PDF or the printed page numbers on the displayed page. Many older Nikon manuals do not have the Acrobat/Reader page number the same as the printed page number in the manual. They also tend not to bookmark, or link the Table of Contents and Index of the manual.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Mon 15-Nov-10 05:57 PM
951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Capture NX2 advanced retouching techniques"
In response to Reply # 1
Mon 15-Nov-10 06:00 PM by Robp

Gainesville, US

PDF page 9 shows what is probably the most accurate (albeit, more troublesome) White Balance measurement method for indoor lighting that I've seen.

Thanks Len.

Rob Puller
my Nikonians gallery

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 16-Nov-10 12:18 PM
8916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Capture NX2 advanced retouching techniques"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Thanks, Len

In the Nikon School class for NX2 the instructor demonstrated the use of sharpening to the eyes. He used High Pass for reflected surfaces like the eyes.

The use of D-Lighting and Shadow recovery can bring an incredible amount of detial out of shadows. I find the Shadow Recovery works well in Quick Adjust but the D-Lighting does not have enough control and works better in the Adjustment steps. Active D-Lighting is a good tool for high contrast situations but you have to remember to return it to your normal settings after use.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #4219 Previous topic | Next topic