nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #4186
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX2 VS PS CS4 ACR 5.7" Previous topic | Next topic
TerryMc Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Oct 2008Thu 11-Nov-10 10:54 PM
757 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture NX2 VS PS CS4 ACR 5.7"

Sagamore Hills, US

Ive been trying to sort out which way I wanted to invest my time learning software. I own CS4 and CNX2 and I've also played around with Lightroom 3 while it was still a beta.

I went out and shot some of the fall foliage a few weeks back and wanted to sort out those that are wall worthy. I fould one lovely shot of some golden leaves in a nice bath of sunlight and shade. I put this picture, side by side, in CNX2 and ACR 5.7. After careful line up of a small section of this photo I was able to switch back and forth with out any shifting of the picture.

Although at a casual glance it wouldn't appear that there was much difference when you paid attention to one spot the difference in clarity was huge. I have it running, rock solid, on a i7 920 machine that I built a while back. Maybe new isn't better?

Terence

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 12-Nov-10 01:17 AM
13290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Capture NX2 VS PS CS4 ACR 5.7"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Terry it is not clear which one you prefer CS4 or CNX2. I had CS$ and now CS5 and for me CNX2 wins hands down.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 12-Nov-10 12:35 PM
8907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capture NX2 VS PS CS4 ACR 5.7"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

If you are evaluating software, probably comparing images with products you are still learning is the worst way to make a decision. In a side by side comparison with people who are expert in any of these products, you woudl be hard pressed to pick a winner. The real difference is in the way software can be used rather than the way you can use it at the beginning.

I use Capture NX2. It has several strengths. One is the ability to accurately process Nikon NEF's with the actual camerea settings - and change those settings in post processing. Another is the ability to selectively apply edits. A third is its simplicity - a quick edit can be very powerful. A fourth is the file efficiency - you work with the NEF image and maintain lists of edit steps rather than multiple copies of an image (changes are non-destructive). Nik is a software company and their work makes the product very powerful.

It's disadvantages are not a big deal to me. It can be a little slow working with batches or multiple images. It does not do cloning as well as CS5, but is still good for basic things like dust spots, removing powerlines or twigs, etc. When resizing it does not provide the ending file size until after you apply the changes. NX2 does not use all plug-ins - most are designed for Adobe products. NX2 cannot create watermarks. Nikon is not a software company, but their required changes and functionality can limit Nik and lead to "issues".

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #4186 Previous topic | Next topic