nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #4174
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX2 Batch Processing" Previous topic | Next topic
debann Registered since 11th Nov 2010Thu 11-Nov-10 01:27 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture NX2 Batch Processing"

US

Hi Nikonians,
I am new here and have a question about batch processing w/ Capture NX2.
I would like to open all the images from my shoot yesterday, perform the white balance change and save them out as Tiffs so Capture will save all the color information to the file.

The only way I have found to do this is open each one and then perform a "save as" which takes a lot of time.

Is there a method for achieving this?

Thanks,

DA

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Batch Processing
jtmcg Gold Member
11th Nov 2010
debann
11th Nov 2010
TiggerGTO Silver Member
11th Nov 2010
jtmcg Gold Member
11th Nov 2010
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
12th Nov 2010
debann
12th Nov 2010
jtmcg Gold Member
12th Nov 2010
charlie68
12th Nov 2010
PAStime Silver Member
12th Nov 2010
debann
15th Nov 2010
TiggerGTO Silver Member
15th Nov 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
19th Nov 2010
pshnikchch Silver Member
15th Nov 2010

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Thu 11-Nov-10 01:51 PM
3959 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Capture NX2 Batch Processing"
In response to Reply # 0

Simsbury, US

I assume you are batching the white balance change and just want to know how to batch the Save as...

All you do is open the browser in CNX2, select all the files and then click File/Save as... You'll get a dialog box for location, type of file etc. and it will chug through saving them all to your specified location etc.

John

debann Registered since 11th Nov 2010Thu 11-Nov-10 02:56 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capture NX2 Batch Processing"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Hi John,
Thank you. I am trying it now.

DA

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Thu 11-Nov-10 04:10 PM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Capture NX2 Batch Processing"
In response to Reply # 1

Apex, US

Unfortunately, I think if you want to apply a white balance change and save your images as TIFs you will have to run two batch jobs. The first to apply the white balance adjustment, and the second to do the "save as". I don't think you can do both of these operations in a single batch job.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Thu 11-Nov-10 05:18 PM
3959 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Capture NX2 Batch Processing"
In response to Reply # 3

Simsbury, US

I agree. I haven't found a way to to both operations at the same time.

John

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 12-Nov-10 01:33 AM
13325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Capture NX2 Batch Processing"
In response to Reply # 3

San Jose, US

If you save them as a set you can. In the batch menu there is a box for apply settings so if you do one image and then check off the steps you did and save them as a set, you can then batch that whole series of steps in a batch to what ever images you select.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

debann Registered since 11th Nov 2010Fri 12-Nov-10 10:00 AM
#6. "RE: Capture NX2 Batch Processing"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Thanks Bob,
I will try this next. It was great of everyone here, even though I had to run two operations to get this done it still saved me a ton of time and headache to be able to do this in a batch job.
Really guys, you don't know how much you have saved me and taught me on this issue.

DA

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Fri 12-Nov-10 01:03 PM
#7. "RE: Capture NX2 Batch Processing"
In response to Reply # 5

Simsbury, US

Bob

I agree that you can apply multiple settings in one batch. What I don't see is how you can combine batching settings with the Save as... command if you want to convert to TIFFs. If you right click the image whose settings you want to batch to other images you get the box that you describe but it seems to me that the Save as... batch step has to be done separately.

John

charlie68 Registered since 25th Oct 2010Fri 12-Nov-10 01:16 PM
58 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Capture NX2 Batch Processing"
In response to Reply # 7

UK

If all of the images that you want to "Apply Settings" to and "Save As" TIFF files are placed in the same folder then the two things are possible within the Batch Process.

Menu / Batch / Run Batch Process.

Charlie

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Fri 12-Nov-10 01:57 PM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Capture NX2 Batch Processing"
In response to Reply # 7

Kingston, CA

>I agree that you can apply multiple settings in one batch.
>What I don't see is how you can combine batching settings with
>the Save as... command

In this case, don't use the Save As... command. Instead:

1. in thumbnail view, select all of the images you want to process
2. Batch->Load Adjustments->mysetting.set

The resultant dialog will offer options on saving as NEF, JPG, TIFF, etc.

The .set file can include any combination of edits including resize, color profile conversion, sharpening, etc.

Peter

debann Registered since 11th Nov 2010Mon 15-Nov-10 12:10 AM
#10. "RE: Capture NX2 Batch Processing"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Thanks everyone for your advice. I finally have the batching under control. Peter, I have not tried that just yet, but it is on my list for the next batch of images to come through, thank you very much.

Again, thanks to everyone here- you guys have been great.

DA

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Mon 15-Nov-10 01:37 PM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Capture NX2 Batch Processing"
In response to Reply # 9

Apex, US

I haven't tried this way of batching settings and saving files, but it seems to me that you will end up with a JPG or TIF with the desired setting while the NEF file will remain unchanged. Depending on your desired results, this may or may not be the behavior you expect or want.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Fri 19-Nov-10 03:23 PM
4477 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Capture NX2 Batch Processing"
In response to Reply # 11

Alberta, CA

>I haven't tried this way of batching settings and saving
>files, but it seems to me that you will end up with a JPG or
>TIF with the desired setting while the NEF file will remain
>unchanged. Depending on your desired results, this may or may
>not be the behavior you expect or want.
>
>Danny
>>size="2"]A Nikonian in North Carolina

Because of the issue mentioned by Danny, I usually run two separate batches. The first batch runs a group of settings i want to save into my raw files like white balance, custom curve, sharpening, etc. and for this batch I save back into the original NEF.

My second batch for saving into JPG (or Tif) I only typically do output sharpening, fit to size, and colour profile sRGB.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

pshnikchch Silver Member Nikonian since 16th May 2007Mon 15-Nov-10 05:26 PM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Capture NX2 Batch Processing"
In response to Reply # 9

Christchurch, NZ

> .....
>In this case, don't use the Save As... command. Instead:
>
>1. in thumbnail view, select all of the images you want to
>process
>2. Batch->Load Adjustments->mysetting.set
>
>The resultant dialog will offer options on saving as NEF, JPG,
>TIFF, etc.
>
>The .set file can include any combination of edits including
>resize, color profile conversion, sharpening, etc.
>
>Peter

I can concur with that technique.

I have used it regularly for some time. Works well without problem.

Peter

http://www.pastoralsystems.co.nz/photography/

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #4174 Previous topic | Next topic