Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #4108
View in linear mode

Subject: "CNX2 Reading Camera Profiles" Previous topic | Next topic
TerryMc Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Oct 2008Tue 02-Nov-10 10:08 AM
430 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"CNX2 Reading Camera Profiles"
Tue 02-Nov-10 10:09 AM by TerryMc

Sagamore Hills, US

Hello All:

How important is the fact that CNX2 can read camera profiles vs programs like PS that can not?

And just to make sure - is it true that Lightroom 3 and PS CS5 can not read the camera profle?

Thanks,

Terry

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: CNX2 Reading Camera Profiles
charlie68
02nd Nov 2010
walkerr Administrator
02nd Nov 2010
charlie68
02nd Nov 2010
walkerr Administrator
02nd Nov 2010
charlie68
02nd Nov 2010
walkerr Administrator
02nd Nov 2010
robsb Platinum Member
03rd Nov 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
03rd Nov 2010

charlie68 Registered since 25th Oct 2010Tue 02-Nov-10 11:31 AM
58 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: CNX2 Reading Camera Profiles"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

To ME and IMHO Very Important.

By CAMERA PROFILES I assume that you mean PICTURE CONTROLS?

ACR simulates the Nikon Picture Controls but NX2 displays the NEF files EXACTLY as when shot. If you have made any alterations to the in-camera settings for Sharpening, Contrast, Brightness, Saturation and Hue, NX2 recognises the alterations and allows (if necessary) to fine tune them as if you were fine tuning in-camera.

To anyone who wants to GET IT RIGHT IN-CAMERA, NX2 is the way to go. Without NX2 the RAW shooter has no access to Picture Controls in the strict sense because only NX2 has controls which MIMIC or DUPLICATE the in-camera controls as opposed to simulating them.

ACR's version of the WB set in camera is always different to what you ACTUALLY set in camera. NX2 reads it as per camera settings.

NX2 also allows you to CREATE camera profiles and transfer them to your camera.

etc etc etc

Charlie.

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Tue 02-Nov-10 12:01 PM
14430 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: CNX2 Reading Camera Profiles"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

Adobe's products read the in-camera white balance via a Nikon-provided software tool. As to whether it's important to read the in-camera color profiles, it depends on the photographer. My personal preference is to not mess with those settings in the field, especially when some of the parameters are fairly coarse. Instead, I would rather use something on my computer that's very fast and easy and allows me to apply profiles almost instantly to hundreds of images. If you're used to shooting jpegs, the Nikon software will feel more comfortable. If you come from a different background, you might prefer another method. Again, it's a personal preference.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

charlie68 Registered since 25th Oct 2010Tue 02-Nov-10 04:51 PM
58 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: CNX2 Reading Camera Profiles"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 02-Nov-10 04:53 PM by charlie68

GB

Rick,

Regarding ACR and WB.

Try setting 5260K on your camera and then import the NEF into ACR.

See what it tells you.

Charlie

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Tue 02-Nov-10 06:41 PM
14430 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: CNX2 Reading Camera Profiles"
In response to Reply # 3

Colorado Springs, US

The numerical value displayed in LR or ACR is different, but not the actual white balance.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

charlie68 Registered since 25th Oct 2010Tue 02-Nov-10 06:55 PM
#5. "RE: CNX2 Reading Camera Profiles"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

Hi Rick,

I've heard that said before but it gives me no more confidence in the product.

My Camera tells me its 5260, NX2 tells me it's 5260 but ACR insists that it is 5050.

It is consistent - I'll give you that.

Charlie

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Tue 02-Nov-10 07:50 PM
#6. "RE: CNX2 Reading Camera Profiles"
In response to Reply # 5

Colorado Springs, US

Your choice.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 03-Nov-10 01:54 AM
12585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: CNX2 Reading Camera Profiles"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

When you say "Camera Profiles", I am going to assume you mean more than Picture Controls, i.e. you mean all the camera settings you have made to take the picture, including Picture Controls, ADL settings, etc.

You will hear arguments on both sides, about this, and many very good images are made with Adobe products, but other than WB they cannot read the Camera Profiles.

What Adobe has done, to improve what had been an awful interpretation of what a straight Nikon shot was, was to create Camera Profiles (read that as Picture Controls in this case) that MIMIC Nikon Picture Controls. This is important as they don't read them, but apply an Adobe standard that gets close, but is not reading the settings you so carefully set. Also none of the Adobe products can properly process images where ADL is set.

Most of us who use CNX2 do so because CNX2 is the fastest way to get the most out of a RAW image, as first CNX2 is applying all the setting you made on the camera to the NEF file, so what you see when you open the image is what you saw on the back of the camera monitor. You can now make adjustments to those same settings and do all of your processing and save it in the ORIGINAL file and go back any time and readjust what you did. This file is usually smaller than an Adobe file. Adobe stores all their edits in a separate side car.

So if you want to get the maximum out of all the special controls you paid for on your Nikon, then CNX2 lets you. Adobe treats your camera like it is a Generation One camera not Generation two.

Now this is not to say, like I said above, that you can't get good images from Adobe products, and there may be many valid reasons for you to use those products, support for 64 bit processors, speed, panos, blended images, etc. But if you want to start out with the image the way you shot it, only CNX2 will allow you to do that.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 03-Nov-10 02:08 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: CNX2 Reading Camera Profiles"
In response to Reply # 7
Wed 03-Nov-10 02:09 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Adobe is publishing 'Camera Profiles' for their products. These 'Profiles' will apply a standard value as determined by Adobe or set by the user to the RAW images from their camera when that RAW image is opened in the Adobe software. These settings have nothing do with the setting of the camera when the image is shot. This lets Adobe's ACR or DNG Converter give more snap to the RAW image without any user interaction.

See Digital Negative (DNG) Specification Version 1.3.0.0 June 2009 for Adobe's description.

Obviously this is a different concept than Nikon's Picture Controls that allow one to preset the camera settings for a given situation either in the camera or the software.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #4108 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.