nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #4091
View in linear mode

Subject: "so thom doesn't think higly of NX2...bet many follow hi..." Previous topic | Next topic
chevysales Registered since 09th Nov 2008Sun 31-Oct-10 03:14 AM
156 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"so thom doesn't think higly of NX2...bet many follow his way"

US

of working raw files... ie. using the software he writes about.

don't get it as his sample shows nx2 with a terrible 100% crop and adobe raw with a clean offering?

not my findings at all with NX2 while many things aren't matured as far as photoshop that doesn't mean they should stop making software as he suggests.

Happy Nikon convert from Canon...
D700
24-70 f2.8
70-200vr f2.8

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: so thom doesn't think higly of NX2...bet many follo...
cliddell Silver Member
31st Oct 2010
nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography
31st Oct 2010
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
01st Nov 2010
chevysales
01st Nov 2010
chevysales
01st Nov 2010
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
31st Oct 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
02nd Nov 2010
Baaker Silver Member
09th Nov 2010
cliddell Silver Member
09th Nov 2010
Lemonicious
14th Nov 2010
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
14th Nov 2010
charlie68
09th Nov 2010
Baaker Silver Member
09th Nov 2010
Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine
09th Nov 2010
charlie68
09th Nov 2010
Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine
09th Nov 2010
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
09th Nov 2010
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
10th Nov 2010
11th Nov 2010
Baaker Silver Member
11th Nov 2010
TiggerGTO Silver Member
11th Nov 2010
Robp Gold Member
10th Nov 2010
PineCreekNit Silver Member
14th Nov 2010
14th Nov 2010
Reply message RE: some people do not follow Thom.
Len Shepherd Gold Member
10th Nov 2010

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Sun 31-Oct-10 06:46 AM
1005 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: so thom doesn't think higly of NX2...bet many follow his way"
In response to Reply # 0

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Hi Mark,

Yes you may be right. I acknowledge and enjoy Thom's well written camera books and other work but wonder at his rants at Nikon software? A simple statement as to why he has stopped using or recommending Nikon software with logical reasons (not one spelling transposition) should suffice. Also let the market dictate whether Nikon must stop providing software.

A lot of the recent "hot air" is due to Nikon taking a stance on pirated copies of it's software - a move that I support because the revenue lost could have been used to further improve the product!

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Sun 31-Oct-10 06:42 PM
6894 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: so thom doesn't think higly of NX2...bet many follow his way"
In response to Reply # 1

Knoxville, US

Thom made that simple argument some time ago. For a long time he was a big proponent of Capture as being the best overall solution but his critiques are valid.

If you scroll towards the bottom of this page (the section on Conversions) you'll read his reasons: http://www.bythom.com/softwareweek.htm

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 01-Nov-10 12:00 AM
13493 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: so thom doesn't think higly of NX2...bet many follow his way"
In response to Reply # 2

San Jose, US

When Thom compares the different converters, he has one criteria that compares how fast you can tweak the NEF to its maximum capability and here NX2 is rated VERY FAST. This is the main reason I use NX2. I also have CS5 Extended and Photomatix in my tool kit and I consider myself a very advanced user of CS5, but although I can do anything I want in CS5, I can always do any RAW stuff faster and better in NX2. Is NX2 ideal? No it is not but we are only into iterations of version 2. Adobe Photoshop ahs been around for over 20 years. So I don't care if Thom no longer thinks NX2 is the best, for the reasons he has stated, as it does what I want it to do VERY FAST.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

chevysales Registered since 09th Nov 2008Mon 01-Nov-10 12:05 AM
156 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: so thom doesn't think higly of NX2...bet many follow his way"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>When Thom compares the different converters, he has one
>criteria that compares how fast you can tweak the NEF to its
>maximum capability and here NX2 is rated VERY FAST. This is
>the main reason I use NX2. I also have CS5 Extended and
>Photomatix in my tool kit and I consider myself a very
>advanced user of CS5, but although I can do anything I want in
>CS5, I can always do any RAW stuff faster and better in NX2.
>Is NX2 ideal? No it is not but we are only into iterations of
>version 2. Adobe Photoshop ahs been around for over 20 years.
>So I don't care if Thom no longer thinks NX2 is the best, for
>the reasons he has stated, as it does what I want it to do
>VERY FAST.

+1

D700
24-70 f2.8
70-200vr f2.8

chevysales Registered since 09th Nov 2008Mon 01-Nov-10 12:04 AM
#5. "RE: so thom doesn't think higly of NX2...bet many follow his way"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>Thom made that simple argument some time ago. For a long time
>he was a big proponent of Capture as being the best overall
>solution but his critiques are valid.
>
>If you scroll towards the bottom of this page (the section on
>Conversions) you'll read his reasons:
>http://www.bythom.com/softwareweek.htm

thanks for posting that i while checking his page out missed that.

now i see the differences in my use of NX2 and his, being he is a pro....
reading his three ratings NX2 seems #3 which is what i am concerned with is "very fast". and that is getting a nef looking good.

different workflows for different people. that said i still can't help but wonder if there isn't more to it than whats printed by thom. my opinion based on reading his writing.

D700
24-70 f2.8
70-200vr f2.8

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 31-Oct-10 11:21 PM
35435 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: so thom doesn't think higly of NX2...bet many follow his way"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

There are potential NX2 users who are very proficient on Photoshop, Bridge, ACR.
There have also been improvements in Adobe Lightroom and other software.
Pros who do their own post-processing may have time limitations to re-learn Nikon Capture every time there is a new version and decide to rather stick to a known software.
That is all.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Tue 02-Nov-10 02:03 AM
4539 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: so thom doesn't think higly of NX2...bet many follow his way"
In response to Reply # 3

Alberta, CA

I have the opposite "problem" - I know Capture NX very well now and have hundreds and hundreds of man-hours invested in learning the Nikon way. To add to this it does most everything I need so I'm staying .

I can understand someone who knows Photoshop with the opposite "problem". I can only thank a prescient sales associate at my local dealer who foisted the then-new Capture NX box at me when I was a digital newby. I never saw him again but Thanks

Processed hundreds of images this past weekend and all was well.

My goal is to become super advanced with the tool I know. Investing hundreds of hours in a completely different workflow holds zero interest for me.

In future I would like to see the Capture platform evolve and I will stay with it. My time is too valuable. Looking forward to Capture NX3!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Baaker Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Aug 2009Tue 09-Nov-10 10:07 AM
923 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: so thom doesn't think higly of NX2...bet many follow his way"
In response to Reply # 7
Tue 09-Nov-10 10:08 AM by Baaker

Dumbarton, UK

He is now highlighting a different problem. Scroll down the page.

http://www.bythom.com/

It seems that upgrading has become a "big" problem.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43019448@N04/

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Tue 09-Nov-10 10:41 AM
1005 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: so thom doesn't think higly of NX2...bet many follow his way"
In response to Reply # 8

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

My point exactly - why does Thom not name and shame the "company" that was (or still is?) selling discounted pirate copies which, as I understand, all had the same serial number?

I must add my name to the majority who I am sure have had no problems at all with updating Nikon software from my intial Nikon View and Nikon Capture4...

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Lemonicious Registered since 25th Apr 2009Sun 14-Nov-10 08:13 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: so thom doesn't think higly of NX2...bet many follow his way"
In response to Reply # 9

Auckland, NZ

>My point exactly - why does Thom not name and shame the
>"company" that was (or still is?) selling discounted
>pirate copies which, as I understand, all had the same serial
>number?

Hi from New Zealand. I tried updating from 2.2.4 to 2.2.6 today ... and received the 'invalid' message.

I bought my rego. through ImageMixer.net last year. It's worked for subsequent updates but not this time.

I've left them a message but no response. Anyone know anything about them? They have a website and seem to operating still

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 14-Nov-10 11:15 AM
8998 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: so thom doesn't think higly of NX2...bet many follow his way"
In response to Reply # 22

Atlanta, US

ImageMixer has been reported as a source of fraudulent licenses of Capture NX2. If you bought from them, your registration is likely fraudulent.

You'll have to buy a new version through Nikon or an authorized dealer.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

charlie68 Registered since 25th Oct 2010Tue 09-Nov-10 12:18 PM
58 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: so thom doesn't think higly of NX2...bet many follow his way"
In response to Reply # 8
Tue 09-Nov-10 12:19 PM by charlie68

UK

>"It seems that upgrading has become a "big" problem".

Only for those who bought from dodgy suppliers and/or cannot supply proof of purchase.

The situation is critical but not life-threatening.

Charlie

Baaker Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Aug 2009Tue 09-Nov-10 01:51 PM
923 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: so thom doesn't think higly of NX2...bet many follow his way"
In response to Reply # 10

Dumbarton, UK

Sorry but what you state isn't my reading of Thom's post. My take is it is legitimate license holders who are complaining about buying an upgrade and their serial number doesn't work. You aren't seriously suggesting that Thom is defending person's with pirated copies of Capture?

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 09-Nov-10 03:50 PM
10915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: so thom doesn't think higly of NX2...bet many follow his way"
In response to Reply # 11
Tue 09-Nov-10 03:50 PM by Covey22

US

Correct. He is slamming Nikon (appropriately) for having an inconsistent enforcement process across the board for determining who in fact has a valid key.

For example, will Nikon only accept copies of actual invoices/receipts or if you can show a screen shot from your credit card statements online, will that suffice as evidence?

What qualification is being used by Nikon to positively identify compromised serials that are being passed around vs. a user who's had a bad string of luck with CPUs or changing hardware? IIRC, the old Capture license allowed you to install the software on a PC and a Mac, but not concurrently run them. How do they distinguish if the installation/activation occurred sequentially and within a short time of each other?

Given the terms and conditions that the user "accepts" by virtue of purchasing the software and activating it, do those T&Cs now cover cutting off someone's valid key after X activations without an appeals or validation process?

This is the slippery slope of software protection. You want to stop the bleeding, but how much of it is real bleeding and does it really off-set profit losses by alienating your current and valid user base? I don't think anyone at Nikon has made the P&L and Risk Management matrix decisioning on that. It's a knee-jerk reaction, and a bad one at that.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

charlie68 Registered since 25th Oct 2010Tue 09-Nov-10 03:59 PM
58 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: so thom doesn't think higly of NX2...bet many follow his way"
In response to Reply # 12
Tue 09-Nov-10 04:02 PM by charlie68

UK

Why do people not READ posts properly before jumping in?

My post states, if you read it carefully, that even if your software is legal (mine is) and you get problems (I didn't), as long as you have the proper documentation which, if you have any sense, you will have, you will be OK.

I will agree that they (NIK) seem to have gone a little OTT and SHOULD give an explanation to clear things up. But will I be jumping ship?

That comes under the heading of "Cutting One's Nose Off To Spite One's Face"!

Charlie.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 09-Nov-10 07:30 PM
10915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: so thom doesn't think higly of NX2...bet many follow his way"
In response to Reply # 13

US

I did read your original post Charlie. What is not apparent is your current use scenario. Are you a nominal end-user or heavy user of Capture? Is it part of your livelihood or are you a recreational/hobbyist? Secondly, you're assuming the issue is happening only to consumers who bought serials from a "dodgy" supplier. Some of the issues around activation are hitting people who had bought and paid for a boxed copy of CNX2 that was authorized for sale in their region of the world. To frame the discussion strictly as lack of prudence on the part of buyer is only part of the total story.

For a professional who's time is really meaningful money, Capture's key validation could become a showstopper if it prevented him/her from activating the software in the case of an upgrade or hardware failure. For the rest of us - we may have the werewithal to either chase Nikon and preserve our consumer rights or vote with our feet and purse.

As for who follows who - we have no idea how influential Thom's decision might be to others. He himself often waves the modesty fig leaves when that question comes up, so it's not a matter of overinflated ego. As an individual who's been working on maturing my workflow for fifteen years now, it's far from a masterpiece, but I do know that CNX is still the preferred RAW converter for me. But I'm a hobbyist - so I fall squarely into the latter camp described above. If I was a pro and I was burning billable hours struggling to resolve a valid key that I knew I bought and paid legally, I would be incensed to say the least. That's what Thom is really saying, and that's absolutely a valid point. It's about being customer-centric, and Nikon's current software protection practice that cuts off valid users as well as compromised keys is likely to cause as much loss of current business as what they think they're saving. There are ways to approach this - for example, limit the disablement to truly compromised keys - pay several grayhats who are torrent and warez savvy to find and locate the common offerings out there that actually provide text files with working keys and keygens using valid key seeds. There aren't that many. That would be an immediate band-aid and you know you're only disabling folks who would never put down real cash to buy your product anyway.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 09-Nov-10 10:17 PM
13493 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#15. "RE: so thom doesn't think higly of NX2...bet many follow his way"
In response to Reply # 14

San Jose, US

This whole situation has been very strange, as it appears some people who had an earlier version of CNX2 installed were asked for a key. I have never been asked for a key since the original install and I have installed every update. Why some people have continual problems with CNX2 installation certainly deserves further review, but with the PC base having the possibility of almost infinite configurations, this is a challenge. Throw in the problem of some vendors selling bogus keys and you have a real mess, but it is not necessarily the fault of Nikon nor NIK. I have always registered my SW on the Nikon site and even if I did have a problem, my key is there and registered with them. I think all purchasers should register their Nikon products so that this issue of keys would be moot.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 10-Nov-10 11:30 AM
8998 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: so thom doesn't think higly of NX2...bet many follow his way"
In response to Reply # 15
Wed 10-Nov-10 11:30 AM by ericbowles

Atlanta, US

I experienced the product key issue on my work laptop - my other laptop went fine.

One of the issues is that Nikon does not validate Product ID's "registered with Nikon". It readily accepted my Capture NX2 product key, but when it came to this upgrade required me to go back to the original Nikon Capture product key. We're talking software that was purchased 5 years ago. I did have the product key, so there was no real harm. But I spent 20 minutes looking for the right product key at a time when I expected to be doing a quick upgrade.

Of all the software I own, including Microsoft products, this is the clumsiest approach to validation I have seen. And it was with a minor upgrade which makes it especially irritating.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 11-Nov-10 02:27 AM
#19. "RE: so thom doesn't think higly of NX2...bet many follow his way"
In response to Reply # 18

San Jose, US

Eric I have no idea why it asked you for the old key. That only happened to me when I first installed NX2, never for any upgrades. But I also have the old CNX registered with Nikon, so it is availabel there if I need it. I also keep a spreadsheet with all of my photo gear on it, including make, serial numbers and pass codes as required, as well as what I payed for an item and who I bought it from. I update it when ever I purchase or sell anything.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Baaker Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Aug 2009Thu 11-Nov-10 09:06 AM
#20. "RE: so thom doesn't think higly of NX2...bet many follow his way"
In response to Reply # 19

Dumbarton, UK

The bottom line is why then are there some people experiencing these problems? Could it be some are trying it on or they simply don't know the proper procedure. I don't believe Thom is stirring it up for the hell of it. I switched to windows 7 and 64 bit a few months ago which means that I have stopped using Capture. When they finally release a 64 bit version AND iron out the inevitable problems then I will upgrade assuming that the upgrade path is problem free.

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Thu 11-Nov-10 12:53 PM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: so thom doesn't think higly of NX2...bet many follow his way"
In response to Reply # 20

Apex, US

Capture NX2 works quite well on my 64-bit Windows 7 desktop and laptop. Why did moving to 64-bit Windows 7 stop you from using this software?

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Wed 10-Nov-10 02:27 AM
951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: so thom doesn't think higly of NX2...bet many follow his way"
In response to Reply # 14

Gainesville, US

In confirmation of Bob's post #15, I have never had any problem with Nikon product keys, either. I, also, have always registered my Nikon products with Nikon. Not only does that allow them to quickly confirm my product status, it serves also as an off-site backup of my Nikon-specific critical data. It is unfortunate that some people have had problems with Key-usage and, in an ideal world, that should not occur. Given that our world is very far from ideal, it would seem prudent/advisable to spend a few minutes registering all of our valuable software. Admittedly, I'm not positive that registration will prevent the problem in the future, but I suspect that such action is at least helpful.

Rob Puller
my Nikonians gallery

PineCreekNit Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jun 2008Sun 14-Nov-10 10:03 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: so thom doesn't think higly of NX2...bet many follow his way"
In response to Reply # 16

Red Bank, US

I don't understand this comment since it does not seem to appear in the thread:

For what it does not do, like 50-500 or 120-300 f2.8 zooms, there are other suppliers.

Can you clarify?

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 14-Nov-10 10:20 PM
#25. "RE: so thom doesn't think higly of NX2...bet many follow his way"
In response to Reply # 24

Atlanta, US

I expect Len is referring to lens correction. NX2 has lens correction for Nikon lenses, but not for lenses from some other manufacturers such as the Sigma 50-500.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Wed 10-Nov-10 08:06 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: some people do not follow Thom."
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, UK

Compared to 3 years ago I do not think he is as credible - but that is another topic.
Some people make up there own mind
For what NX2 does well, which is a lot of what many photographers want, it has no near equal.
For what it does not do, like 50-500 or 120-300 f2.8 zooms, there are other suppliers.
On product keys I have only been asked after a clean re-install - which is normal software procedure.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #4091 Previous topic | Next topic