nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #4
View in linear mode

Subject: "Workflow using Photo Mechanic and Capture NX 2" Previous topic | Next topic
sidewinder Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 05th Jan 2010 Mon 18-Jan-10 07:57 PM
737 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Workflow using Photo Mechanic and Capture NX 2"

I have my D90's image quality set to RAW and I don't think that will ever change. I have purchased both Capture NX 2 (Mac OS X) and Color Efex Pro 3.0 Complete to post process and convert the NEF files. I absolutely love how Capture NX 2 works. It wouldn't hurt if it were faster though! Here's to hoping Capture NX 3 is released soon.

Anyway, I am leaning towards purchasing Photo Mechanic to ingest and manages the images. I know it integrates well with Capture NX 2. I also know that Photo Mechanic will have a robust catalog feature sometime by the end of this year. I can wait that long to get the cataloging feature since I won't have enough images to overload a manually maintained catalog.

I would love to hear how those of you using these two products together are managing your workflows today. Specifically, what do you have Photo Mechanic do and how do you set it up to do it.

Thanks,

Scott

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Workflow using Photo Mechanic and Capture NX 2 TiggerGTO Silver Member
19th Jan 2010
Reply message RE: Workflow using Photo Mechanic and Capture NX 2 sidewinder Silver Member
19th Jan 2010
Reply message RE: Baan's Post? sfbillm Silver Member
26th Jan 2010
     Reply message RE: Baan's Post? sidewinder Silver Member
26th Jan 2010
     Reply message RE: Baan's Post? TiggerGTO Silver Member
26th Jan 2010
26th Jan 2010
               Reply message RE: Baan's Post? TiggerGTO Silver Member
26th Jan 2010
26th Jan 2010
Reply message RE: Workflow using Photo Mechanic and Capture NX 2 JazzDoc Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
19th Jan 2010
Reply message RE: Workflow using Photo Mechanic and Capture NX 2 shuttrrbug
22nd Jan 2010
Reply message RE: Workflow using Photo Mechanic and Capture NX 2 TiggerGTO Silver Member
22nd Jan 2010
     Reply message RE: Workflow using Photo Mechanic and Capture NX 2 sidewinder Silver Member
22nd Jan 2010
22nd Jan 2010
               Reply message Stars and Colors.... sidewinder Silver Member
23rd Jan 2010
                    Reply message RE: Stars and Colors.... JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
23rd Jan 2010
                    Reply message RE: Stars and Colors.... bandola Silver Member
27th Jan 2010
                    Reply message RE: Stars and Colors.... TiggerGTO Silver Member
27th Jan 2010
                         Reply message RE: Stars and Colors.... sidewinder Silver Member
27th Jan 2010
                         Reply message RE: Stars and Colors.... hrbaan
27th Jan 2010
                         Reply message RE: Stars and Colors.... dohearne
29th Jan 2010
                              Reply message RE: Stars and Colors.... sidewinder Silver Member
29th Jan 2010
Reply message RE: Workflow using Photo Mechanic and Capture NX 2 Cobalt
09th Feb 2010
09th Feb 2010
Reply message RE: Workflow using Photo Mechanic and Capture NX 2 PAStime Silver Member
10th Feb 2010
11th Feb 2010
          Reply message RE: Workflow using Photo Mechanic and Capture NX 2 PAStime Silver Member
13th Feb 2010
Reply message RE: Workflow using Photo Mechanic and Capture NX 2 cliddell Silver Member
12th Feb 2010

TiggerGTO Silver Member  Apex, US  Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006 Tue 19-Jan-10 03:18 AM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Workflow using Photo Mechanic and Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 0

I use Photo Mechanic as my ingester, browser and metadata editor. First of all, if you haven't found the Photo Mechanic Manual, you should download it from here. There is a section in there about the best settings to use for NX2 compatibility. Also, there is an excellent post by Hayo Baan that explains how to set up the color classes so that PM and NX2 will see the same thing.

When I ingest the pictures from a shoot, I will use the local stationery pad to apply my global metadata (name, copyright, etc.) as well as the general metadata that applies to the whole ingest, like location, main keywords, etc. Once the ingest is done, I will use PM's contact sheet to browse through the images and give a rating to the ones I want to work with further. I tend to use color classes rather than stars because I find the colors easier to spot when looking through a large contact sheet. I sometimes apply a different color to the ones I definitely want to delete. When I'm done with my first pass, I use the filter by color to select the ones to delete and delete them all at once.

The next part of my workflow depends on the type of shoot it was and how much extra post processing I intend to do. PM is key to my workflow for sports shooting. I will make a second pass through to do soft crops using that feature in PM. I then make a third pass through to identify the players in the selected images. I use an abbreviation to minimize typing. After that pass, I use another stationery pad that converts my abbreviations into code replacements for the player's full name and information in the appropriate format for my photo fulfillment site (ExposureManager). In one step, I get the player's name in the caption and their name and number in the keywords in a format that makes it searchable on my ExposureManager site. I then use PhotoMechanic to do a batch upload of the selected images to ExposureManager. During this upload, PM extracts the jpg from the nef, sizes it appropriately and converts it to sRGB. Later, when/if I get an order from a parent, the order identifies the image which I browse to in PM and then use PM to launch NX2. I do all the final image adjustments to the image and make it look its best in NX2. I will then either use NX2 to do a save-as to get a jpg or I will simply save the nef and then use PM to extract the updated, higher quality preview that NX2 wrote into the nef.

For my landscape shoots, I use the PM browser to select my keepers and add additional keywords to those images. Then I make a pass through launching NX2 from PM to do my final edits on the selected images. When I'm done with my edits, I use PM's web album feature to create a web album which I then upload to my personal web space to share with others. There's probably a way to get PM to upload the album, but I typically use Filezilla to upload the whole album to my webspace.

I'm looking forward to the cataloging feature that Camera Bits is working on. It has been discussed quite a bit on their forums, and Kirk Baker has said it is their top priority. I don't know when it will be out though. Photo Mechanic is a great application, and the support on their site is excellent. In my opinion combining PM with NX2 makes the workflow. If it weren't for PM, I would have probably gone to Lightroom a long time ago.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

sidewinder Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 05th Jan 2010 Tue 19-Jan-10 06:38 AM
737 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Workflow using Photo Mechanic and Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 1

>In my opinion combining PM with NX2 makes the workflow. If
>it weren't for PM, I would have probably gone to Lightroom a
>long time ago.

Danny,

I have downloaded the Photo Mechanic software and have been playing with it to see how it works. Chris Sgaraglino has some videos on using Photo Mechanic that have helped quite a bit as well.

Based on what I have seen in regards to ingest, IPTC data, etc., I think Photo Mechanic is going to work quite well. I don't think I care that there is no cataloging feature as of yet. I don't know that I will take enough pictures that it will matter. The search abilities built-in to Photo Mechanic are good and Spotlight on the Mac can be used for more sophisticated searches.

I need to be diligent about filling out the IPTC data. I need to use meaningful names and appropriately populate the keyword field.

I am going to purchase Photo Mechanic.... it should be fun!

Scott

sfbillm Silver Member  Santa Fe, US  Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004 Tue 26-Jan-10 04:10 PM
868 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Baan's Post?"
In response to Reply # 1

>There is a section in there about the best settings to use
>for NX2 compatibility. Also, there is an excellent
>post by Hayo Baan that explains how to set up the color classes so
>that PM and NX2 will see the same thing.

>

When I look at Baan's post, I don't see any info on what he did. There's a statement to the effect 'here's what I did', but there's nothing that elaborates on that.

What am I missing? Thanks.

SantaFeBill

sidewinder Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 05th Jan 2010 Tue 26-Jan-10 09:56 PM
#11. "RE: Baan's Post?"
In response to Reply # 10

SantaFeBill,

I thought the same thing. But then I remembered that some forums are setup so only registered members can see included images. I signed up for an account then I could see the two images that Hayo Baan included.

Basically, the key point made was that you had to setup Photo Mechanic to "Synchronize Color Class with IPTC/XMP Urgency field" which is done in the "General" tab under "Preferences".

That worked for me.

Scott

TiggerGTO Silver Member  Apex, US  Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006 Tue 26-Jan-10 10:22 PM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Baan's Post?"
In response to Reply # 10

Are you posting on the correct thread? I don't see any posts by Hayo on this thread.

Danny

sidewinder Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 05th Jan 2010 Tue 26-Jan-10 10:27 PM
#13. "RE: Baan's Post?"
In response to Reply # 12

Danny,

Look at your first post in this thread.

Scott

TiggerGTO Silver Member  Apex, US  Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006 Tue 26-Jan-10 10:29 PM
#14. "RE: Baan's Post?"
In response to Reply # 13

Doh...

Danny

sidewinder Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 05th Jan 2010 Tue 26-Jan-10 11:00 PM
#15. "RE: Baan's Post?"
In response to Reply # 14

>Doh...

LMAO!! Thank you for making my day!

S-

JazzDoc Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Rochester, US  Nikonian since 11th Mar 2006 Tue 19-Jan-10 07:54 PM
409 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Workflow using Photo Mechanic and Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 0

I would just add a touch to Danny's useful comments above. In my case, ratings are used for quality, while colors are used for stages of processing. The latter means copying archived nef files to specific mirror folders dedicated to post-processing. I change the file names to signify that, and then proceed through stages of processing, first running an initial batch to get the basics in place (thanks to Jason Odell for starting pointers on this)and as I'm happier with each image, the color class rises a notch until finished with level 8--the highest in the PM system (you must keep the names and colors the same with PM and NX2). Three of the colors are designated as tags in my system, just so I can identify several images that are related in some way so as to keep them linked until deciding which is best, what to do with them, etc. Then the winners proceed up the color classes.
I also use the stationary pad to save lists in several of the categories. That provides a pseudo-cataloging function if one is consistent. You don't need to keep typing the same stuff repeatedly if you can obtain items from lists. I even swap copyright info., since my wife also uses the system.
Cheers
gary

Gary Paige

my gallery

www.frontpaige-photography.com

shuttrrbug   Missouri City, US  Registered since 05th Dec 2009 Fri 22-Jan-10 02:19 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Workflow using Photo Mechanic and Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 0

Photo Mechanic is a great program. I use it primarily to ingest images, change file names, add IPTC, add ratings (which flow directly to NX2), and delete images I am not going to post process.

Consider taking the Photo Mechanic webinar on Nikonians. This will only add to your comprehension.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

TiggerGTO Silver Member  Apex, US  Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006 Fri 22-Jan-10 11:32 AM
#5. "RE: Workflow using Photo Mechanic and Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 4

Webinar on Nikonians? Are you talking about the New Photo Mechanic How-to Videos posted by Chris Sgaraglino? If there is something else, please post a link.

Danny

sidewinder Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 05th Jan 2010 Fri 22-Jan-10 08:06 PM
#6. "RE: Workflow using Photo Mechanic and Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 5

>Webinar on Nikonians?

Look on this page:

http://www.nikoniansacademy.com/mainMenu.html

Scott

sidewinder Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 05th Jan 2010 Fri 22-Jan-10 08:49 PM
#7. "RE: Workflow using Photo Mechanic and Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 6
Fri 22-Jan-10 09:14 PM by sidewinder

Okay, I think I intruded enough in that cataloging thread so I'm back to this one.

I was inspired by TiggerGTO (Danny) to really figure out the power of Photo Mechanic for photograph ingestion.

I have Photo Mechanic setup so that it will rename my photographs using the YYYYMMDD_HHMMSSss.nef structure. It will place the renamed files in a directory structure as follows:

MyLibrary
YYYY
MM
YYYYMMDD Event Name
YYYYMMDD_HHMMSSss.nef
Photo Mechanic will create any part of the directory structure in the "MyLibrary" space that it needs to. In other words, I don't have to do anything when ingesting photos other than setting the "Event Name" and filling out the IPTC data which includes keywording. As each month and year comes along, it will create the proper directories in the proper place.

I think a chronological storage structure is the best way to proceed. Trying to use the file system to categorize my photo library is a big mistake. When I need to find a photo, I will either have to know the date I shot it or rely on IPTC data to find it. When Photo Mechanic does come out with their cataloging software, I will be well situated to use it.

Now all I have to do is consistently and completely fill out the IPTC fields and good at keywording properly and quickly. Well, that and start taking lots of photographs!

Scott

sidewinder Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 05th Jan 2010 Sat 23-Jan-10 12:13 AM
#8. "Stars and Colors...."
In response to Reply # 7

Okay, how do you folks use the stars and colors in Photo Mechanic?

Scott

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   New York, US  Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004 Sat 23-Jan-10 01:03 AM
5435 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Stars and Colors...."
In response to Reply # 8

For me it depends on what kind of shoot I'm editing. If the shoot has several subjects — different kinds of birds on a bird shoot, several actors in a play, etc. — I usually use the colors to label each subject and the stars for ranking. That way, after a few passes at all of the shots, I can view by one color at a time to compare shots of a single subject.

Jon Kandel
New York
Please visit my website and critique the images!

bandola Silver Member  CH  Nikonian since 05th Feb 2009 Wed 27-Jan-10 10:54 AM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Stars and Colors...."
In response to Reply # 9
Wed 27-Jan-10 10:55 AM by bandola

I use the stars for image rating and colors for level/stage of post processing.

TiggerGTO Silver Member  Apex, US  Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006 Wed 27-Jan-10 01:55 PM
#17. "RE: Stars and Colors...."
In response to Reply # 8

I pretty much use colors only, because I find them easier to see when looking at a large contact sheet. I typically make a pass through my pictures marking the keepers with 1 (red) and the trash with 8 (magenta, I think). The trash is stuff that is out of focus or has serious defects that can not be fixed, like sports pictures where there is too much motion blur or another player obstructed the picture. After doing that pass, I select only the magentas and get rid of them.

After that I typically don't do much more with the colors. If it is a sports shoot, I'll make one more pass of the reds to add soft crops and metadata using PM's code replacement. Then I'll select all the red's, and upload them to my Exposure Manager site for players and parents to view making sure to check the apply crop box. I suppose I could change the red to whatever maps to 2 after I do any NX2 editing on a picture. However, NX2 tends to overwrite the setting if I don't change it in PM at the right time, so I tend to skip changing reds to something else for sports pictures. For landscapes and nature shots which tend to be smaller in number and more selective, I usually manage the color tags a little more carefully and set the reds to something else after doing the NX2 edit. If I have a bracketed set for HDR or a pano, I might mark the set with green or yellow to visually group them in the contact sheet.

I hope I haven't jumped around too much with this description and made a confusing mess out of it.

Danny

sidewinder Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 05th Jan 2010 Wed 27-Jan-10 04:03 PM
#18. "RE: Stars and Colors...."
In response to Reply # 17

The responses from Gary, Danny, and Jon regarding the stars and color system have been thought provoking.

I think I will use the stars to rate the photographs and the color system for whatever marking system I need at the time. I see the star ratings being permanent and the color labels being cleared once done with a photograph or set of photographs. That means a photo with any color label is not finished.

Can you setup Photo Mechanic to set a default color class on ingest?

Scott

hrbaan   Kockengen, NL  Registered since 29th Oct 2005 Wed 27-Jan-10 07:35 PM
1370 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Stars and Colors...."
In response to Reply # 18

Hi Scott,

I think tou and I are also discussing this in the PhotoMechanic forum?
I'll provide the link here for reference to others: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=5086.0

Cheers,

Hayo Baan – Photography
e-mail: info@hayobaan.nl
Web: http://www.hayobaan.nl

dohearne   Ludlow, US  Registered since 07th May 2007 Fri 29-Jan-10 10:25 PM
815 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Stars and Colors...."
In response to Reply # 17

Danny and others have described a nice system for using the color ratings. I would add one other feature - the use of tags. I use tags similar to Danny's red. After, I have ingested photos I will select all and go to slideshow to get a full screen look at each photo. Stepping through the photos, I can "tag" keepers simply by pressing the + key (or untag with the - key. I may make more than one pass, but the idea is to eliminate unwanted photos. I can then simply select the untagged photos and delete. Now I can go back and begin to rate the keepers. I tend to use the stars because I like to color code anything I have processed in NX2 with Red because it is very easy to see. I use color ratings for other reason, but Red is reserved for post-processed images.

Dave

sidewinder Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 05th Jan 2010 Fri 29-Jan-10 10:49 PM
#21. "RE: Stars and Colors...."
In response to Reply # 20

Dave,

Yes, I plan to use tags to weed out obvious throwaways. I could do this either prior to ingesting or after.

For example, prior to ingesting, I will open a contact sheet showing all photos on the card. I will run through and tag the photos I think I want to trash. Then I will change the display to show only tagged photos. Then I will verify that I want to throw the tagged photos away. Once that is done, I will delete the photos still tagged and then ingest.

Scott

Cobalt   US  Registered since 20th Apr 2008 Tue 09-Feb-10 12:04 PM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Workflow using Photo Mechanic and Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 0

This is a great thread. I am relatively new to this and trying to find my way along the twisting turning road. There are many possibilities and solutions out there, and it can be confusing and costly to decide upon the best solution that meets ones needs.

Could someone explain what the shortfall of using Nikon Transfer to do some of things that Photomechanic seems to do?

TiggerGTO Silver Member  Apex, US  Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006 Tue 09-Feb-10 07:45 PM
#23. "RE: Workflow using Photo Mechanic and Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 22

Many people do use Nikon Transfer for this part of the workflow. After all, the price is right

Photo Mechanic is much more functional. I'd have to say that it is about the best application there is for ingesting, metadata editing, browsing, rating, sorting and uploading that there is. It is fast, very functional and works extremely well with Capture NX2. It can extract the preview jpg from the nef file, so you do not need to run conversions from NX2. It can produce web albums and upload them or individual photos directly to many of the various photo sites. Their support forum is very active and one of their key developers answers questions and problem reports daily. The only downside to PM is that it is not cheap, but I feel you definitely get a lot of value for your money.

Danny

PAStime Silver Member  Kingston, CA  Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009 Wed 10-Feb-10 12:07 PM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Workflow using Photo Mechanic and Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 23
Wed 10-Feb-10 12:07 PM by PAStime

I want to echo that this has been a great thread. It seems one of the key features of PM is that it integrates with NX2 in that the colours and ratings are compatible and PM is able to read NEFs that have been processed by NX2.

So here is a loaded question (and hopefully not hijacking the thread): at better than half the price, is Imatch as good? I've got a trial version installed and so far it looks OK. Would it do more or less the same as described by Danny and others?

Cheers,
Peter

TiggerGTO Silver Member  Apex, US  Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006 Thu 11-Feb-10 02:14 AM
#25. "RE: Workflow using Photo Mechanic and Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 24
Thu 11-Feb-10 02:17 AM by TiggerGTO

My understanding is that IMatch is more of a cataloging program. Photo Mechanic is a front end program for ingesting, browsing, keywording, etc. It has some search capabilities, but you must search a folder or hierarchy of folders. Unless I am wrong, IMatch is a cataloging program designed to maintain a database of your images so that you can quickly search and find specific images wherever they exist in your collection of images. The database stores the keywords and other metadata along with the image location. If it is like other cataloging programs, it even stores a preview of the image so that you can see what the image is even if it is not currently accessible (i.e. on an external drive that is not connected).

So to get a complete workflow from ingesting, keywording, sorting and browsing (PM), editing (NX2) and cataloging (IMatch), you could use all three programs together. I have never really investigated IMatch, so I may be wrong about some if its capabilities, but I do know that it is intended to be a cataloging application.

Edited to add: Here's a recent thread talking about cataloging applications including IMatch.

Danny

PAStime Silver Member  Kingston, CA  Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009 Sat 13-Feb-10 01:13 PM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Workflow using Photo Mechanic and Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 25

A belated thanks Danny for this information on PM versus iMatch. What you are saying matches what I'm learning while I use trial versions of these two and ACDSee.

Just this morning I have learned that ACDSee will only use the embedded jpg in a NEF for the purposes of viewing the thumbnail or viewing the image full screen. It will not use the embedded thumbnail for save as jpg or upload to web or send via email, etc. Instead, it uses its own "develop" utility (raw converter).

This is a pain because in my workflow I want to use and stay with the Capture NX2 raw converter. So a negative point for ACDSee and, gathering from your comments on PM, a big plus for PM.

Cheers,
Peter

cliddell Silver Member  Pietermaritzburg, ZA  Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006 Fri 12-Feb-10 08:28 AM
1007 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Workflow using Photo Mechanic and Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 22

>
>Could someone explain what the shortfall of using Nikon
>Transfer to do some of things that Photomechanic seems to do?
>
===

While I agree with all the good said about PhotoMechanics (including virtual one on one assistance from them) when I assesed their trial copy I found that most of the powerful features it had would not be used by me and some of the features I was looking for were not there.

Thus, I have continued to use Nikon's (free) ViewNX which, for my purpose, does what I would have used PM to do. A point I do like about VNX is that when I SAVE an edited pic from NX2 I just press Alt-Tab (of course with both programs running) and I can immediately see a full screen image with ALL my NX2 edits reflected. Also for small tweaks to RAW files where NX2 may not be needed I just use VNX's array of editing tools.

I am aware that VNX cannot further manipulate or convert the saved NX2 image(s) and I am hoping that future upgrades will at least rectify this.

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #4 Previous topic | Next topic