Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3996
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why can't Capture NX2 open a tiff created by GIMP?" Previous topic | Next topic
pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Tue 26-Oct-10 11:24 PM
246 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Why can't Capture NX2 open a tiff created by GIMP?"

Tucson AZ, US

If I try to open a tiff created by GIMP, NX2 complains that it cannot load the file. Furthermore, the file appears as an icon rather than a thumbnail in the NX2 browser. I am able to open tiffs created by Photoshop Elements. The only difference between the two file types that I can see (looking at image properties in Windows) is that GIMP tiffs have 32-bit depth, while PSE has 24-bit depth. Any ideas?

Visit my gallery on 23hq

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Wed 27-Oct-10 12:41 AM
3630 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Why can't Capture NX2 open a tiff created by GIMP?"
In response to Reply # 0

Farmington Hills, US

I had a similar problem with PTGui, a panorama stitcher. If I save the file with Alpha channel set to "Normal (associated)", "Unassociated", or "Separate" I get the cannot load message from NX2. If I save it with "No alpha channel" NX2 is able to read the file.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Wed 27-Oct-10 02:46 AM
246 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Why can't Capture NX2 open a tiff created by GIMP?"
In response to Reply # 1

Tucson AZ, US

Thanks Gary, that solved the problem. In GIMP, I did a "Remove Alpha Channel" before saving as tiff. The tiff is now 24-bit and readable by NX2.

Visit my gallery on 23hq

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3996 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.