Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3924
View in linear mode

Subject: "View NX2 for D7000 = problems" Previous topic | Next topic
wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Thu 21-Oct-10 02:37 AM
336 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"View NX2 for D7000 = problems"

Warsaw, US

Is anyone using VNX2 that comes with the D7k?
I can't find a way to resize a photo.
Also, when cropping, it only does free crop. I click on the drop down menu to select Fixed ratio but no menu drops down.

I have used CNX2 for awhile now so I'm familiar with how to do this
but the new VNX2 seems to have something missing.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: View NX2 for D7000 = problems
DsrtVW Gold Member
22nd Oct 2010
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
22nd Oct 2010
DsrtVW Gold Member
22nd Oct 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
23rd Oct 2010
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
22nd Oct 2010
rbaskin Silver Member
22nd Oct 2010
rgarcia1129
21st Aug 2011
wwt67 Silver Member
22nd Aug 2011
22nd Aug 2011
wwt67 Silver Member
22nd Aug 2011
22nd Aug 2011
wwt67 Silver Member
23rd Aug 2011
rgarcia1129
25th Aug 2011
rgarcia1129
25th Aug 2011
wwt67 Silver Member
26th Aug 2011
glo Silver Member
26th Aug 2011
rgarcia1129
26th Aug 2011

DsrtVW Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Dec 2007Fri 22-Oct-10 07:06 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: View NX2 for D7000 = problems"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I do not have an answer for you because I do not use V NX2 for editing using Capt NX2 but I am having troubles with RAW files in C NX2 Are You??

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 22-Oct-10 11:27 AM
8863 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: View NX2 for D7000 = problems"
In response to Reply # 1

Atlanta, US

<I am having troubles with RAW files in C NX2 >

The rep from my local camera shop confirmed that this issue is know by Nikon and a fix will be released shortly.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

DsrtVW Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Dec 2007Fri 22-Oct-10 11:43 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: View NX2 for D7000 = problems"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I am also having problems with Capt NX2 with D7000 RAW files in communication Nikon waiting to here after uploading file to them

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 23-Oct-10 04:53 PM
4427 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: View NX2 for D7000 = problems"
In response to Reply # 5

Alberta, CA

Capture NX2 does not yet support the D7000. We have to wait for an update, which one would hope is coming momentarily!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 22-Oct-10 11:26 AM
8863 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: View NX2 for D7000 = problems"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I've been using View NX2 for a couple of months and find it much improved.

Resizing in View NX2 is done after editing. Use the Convert Files icon at the top right of your toolbar. You can set the desired proportions as well as quality for conversions as desired. This function works for multiple images. You cannot use View NX2 to convert images that have been edited outside of View NX2 - for example with Capture NX2.

My copy of View NX2 has Crop under the Adjustment commands on the right side. The default is Free Crop, but if you click on the box or the arrow to the right, a drop down menu shows 5 proportions of landscape and portrait crops. To use the tool you click Start and Apply to confirm the crop.

If you are not seeing these functions, you might try uninstalling and downloading a fresh copy from NikonUSA.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

rbaskin Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2007Fri 22-Oct-10 12:23 PM
353 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: View NX2 for D7000 = problems"
In response to Reply # 0

Ridgefield, US

I don't think there is a'resize' option except when converting files.

Are you working on files that you've already edited in CNX2? The edit controls and convert files won't work on those files.

Ralph in CT

rgarcia1129 Registered since 21st Aug 2011Sun 21-Aug-11 11:55 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: View NX2 for D7000 = problems"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 21-Aug-11 11:58 PM by rgarcia1129

US

I am having the same problem with the crop drop down menu also. The cropping drop menu used to have various ratios to pick from, then all of sudden one day, just "free crop" was available.

I've tried uninstalling and the re-installing the software directly from Nikon's website with no luck.

I was happy using "View NX2" until now.

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Mon 22-Aug-11 03:08 AM
336 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: View NX2 for D7000 = problems"
In response to Reply # 7

Warsaw, US

Sorry to say, I have not found a fix. I installed the latest release and now all I get is a fixed ratio for landscape or portrait. I talked to Nikon support back in October and all they told me was "Well there should be other options listed in the drop down window" Duh!!

I only use Capture NX2 now.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 22-Aug-11 12:09 PM
#9. "RE: View NX2 for D7000 = problems"
In response to Reply # 8

Atlanta, US

I am not aware of a setting for the crop drop down window. You must select an image for the drop down window to be active. I am using a D7000 with Windows 7 - and on another computer with Windows Vista.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Mon 22-Aug-11 10:30 PM
#10. "RE: View NX2 for D7000 = problems"
In response to Reply # 9

Warsaw, US

>I am not aware of a setting for the crop drop down window.

Eric, I don't understand this statement. I'm refering to options within the window. ie Fixed or Free crop.
When I click the drop down window it only shows me a fixed ratio in landscape or portrait orientation. I have no free crop. I am able to crop the image with a fixed ratio.

>You must select an image for the drop down window to be
>active.

If your viewing an image, isn't it active, or do I need to do something else?

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 22-Aug-11 10:56 PM
#11. "RE: View NX2 for D7000 = problems"
In response to Reply # 10

Atlanta, US

Sorry - what I meant was I looked for a possible setting to limit the drop down to free crop or vice versa and did not find such a setting anywhere.

I can't find anything to suggest a way to remove the drop down options - or turn them back on. I did find that I had to select it for editing to activate the crop drop down. With my copy in Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 the drop down works normally with both free crop and fixed ratio options.

Does the function work the same way with both a thumbnail and a full sized image?

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Tue 23-Aug-11 01:19 AM
#12. "RE: View NX2 for D7000 = problems"
In response to Reply # 11

Warsaw, US

Ok, that makes sense. I just tried this one more time and what I found is the first time I select an image to crop, it defaults to free crop. If I select either the landscape or portrait orientations I'm stuck with that. I cannot go back to free crop. There is nothing that says free crop and I cannot uncheck the fixed ratios. If I restart the software it defaults back to free crop.

It's the same for Browser and Edit modes.

This is too frustrating, especially since CNX2 works so much better, IMO.

I only use VNX2 to quickly view the images and delete the bad ones.

BTW, I'm running Vista 64-bit.

rgarcia1129 Registered since 21st Aug 2011Thu 25-Aug-11 02:13 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: View NX2 for D7000 = problems"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Here is a link to give a visual of what I am seeing.

The first picture is of the problem. I am using View NX2 with Windows 7 on my desktop.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66793272@N06/6079145431/in/photostream

The second picture is what I should be seeing in the drop down menu. This is from my laptop which is running Windows XP.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66793272@N06/6079682488/in/photostream

rgarcia1129 Registered since 21st Aug 2011Thu 25-Aug-11 02:17 PM
#14. "RE: View NX2 for D7000 = problems"
In response to Reply # 13

US

I have contacted Nikon. My theory is that the problem my have something to do with the settings in Windows 7 and any recent updates as NX2 was working fine until recently.

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Fri 26-Aug-11 12:00 AM
#15. "RE: View NX2 for D7000 = problems"
In response to Reply # 14
Fri 26-Aug-11 12:01 AM by wwt67

Warsaw, US

Please post the fix if you get one. The first photo of the problem is exactly what I get. It displays the dimensions of the current image and no other options.

I'm running Vista 64-bit.

glo Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2005Fri 26-Aug-11 04:00 AM
935 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: View NX2 for D7000 = problems"
In response to Reply # 0

Montgomery, US

I suggest doing a fresh download and install from Nikon's web site.

I'm running XP and Vista 64 and the crop tool in View NX2 is fully functional.

I can choose any of the crop aspects, apply it and then do the drop down box and choose another including Free Crop.

I'm not familiar with W7, so there may be something particular to that version of Windows.

Grady
MY GALLERY

rgarcia1129 Registered since 21st Aug 2011Fri 26-Aug-11 01:21 PM
#17. "RE: View NX2 for D7000 = problems"
In response to Reply # 16

US

I have uninstaled and then reinstalled the software from nikons website several times. My theory is there may be a conflict between the software, recent windows 7 updates and some settings on my computer. I am waiting to hear from Nikon.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3924 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.