Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3882
View in linear mode

Subject: "ViewNX2 or My Computer?" Previous topic | Next topic
beachwalker Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2003Thu 14-Oct-10 03:30 PM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"ViewNX2 or My Computer?"

Concord, US

I recently installed ViewNX2 and while it opens fine, changing to the full screen view, or to any other view except the initial view, and changing to Edit, causes the program to crash ("...encounter a problem, have to close..."). After trying to sort it out and being unsuccessful, I did the uninstall provided with the program, and then did a new install. Same problem. I did another uninstall and then trashed the download, thinking that perhaps that was the issue. I pulled in a new download and went through the install - and have the same issue. Is it ViewNX2 or my machine? I am running an AMD Athlon XP3200+ at 2.20GHz with 2 gigs of memory running XP with SP3 - granted its not the newest machine on the block but it handles all of my needs (CaptureNX2 v2.2.4 is my main PP application: works fine, decent processing time, never crashes, keeps me happy) - until I can find the cash to upgrade. Is it my equipment, or ViewNX2, or is something else going on that I'm not aware of? Any ideas/thoughts are appreciated. Have a great day -

“There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept.”
— Ansel Adams

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: ViewNX2 or My Computer?
gpoole Platinum Member
14th Oct 2010
beachwalker Silver Member
14th Oct 2010
Covey22 Moderator
14th Oct 2010
14th Oct 2010
Covey22 Moderator
14th Oct 2010
14th Oct 2010
robsb Platinum Member
14th Oct 2010
14th Oct 2010
robsb Platinum Member
15th Oct 2010
15th Oct 2010
22nd Oct 2010
JES44
15th Oct 2010
15th Oct 2010
TerryMc Silver Member
15th Nov 2010
17th Nov 2010

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Thu 14-Oct-10 04:15 PM
3616 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: ViewNX2 or My Computer?"
In response to Reply # 0

Farmington Hills, US

John,

I've had problems with View NX2 on my Intel XP system with 4Gb. It's not crashing but it stops displaying full screen images after scrolling through a few. I had to 3sit and restart View NX2 to correct the problem, but then it would reoccur after viewing a few images.

I "solved" the problem going back to View NX (no "2"). View NX does everything I want and I not aware of any features of View NX2 that make it desirable to upgrade.

I also use Capture NX2, but I like to do my browsing and selection of images for further processing in View instead of Capture.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D800e, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

beachwalker Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2003Thu 14-Oct-10 04:30 PM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: ViewNX2 or My Computer?"
In response to Reply # 1

Concord, US

Thanks for the quick response - I kept ViewNX tucked away and usable and will contine to use it as my primary viewer and for sorting/grading/etc. Works well for me but wanted to give ViewNX2 a run around the block - the editing function is new in ViewNX2 isn't it? That functionality, at least what I saw of it, doesn't seem to be present in ViewNX - but CaptureNX2 is my primary PP - unless there is something that works better in PSE. Again, thanks for the response. John

— Ansel Adams

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 14-Oct-10 06:00 PM
10564 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: ViewNX2 or My Computer?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Is your cache for ViewNX2 on a separate physical hard drive and not shared with the same drive as the source images? The original ViewNX was so bad for me that I fell back to Nikon View 6 (the predecessor to ViewNX) and was happily running that scenario until I had to upgrade operating systems due to a main drive crash.

I've since found ViewNX2 works perfectly fine if I have a dedicated OS hard drive, dedicated cache drive and a third, separate working drive to store my images on while they are being edited. I too have an Athlon XP, but much slower, with only 1.5GB of RAM. This is all running under Win7 and it's just fine.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

beachwalker Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2003Thu 14-Oct-10 06:12 PM
#4. "RE: ViewNX2 or My Computer?"
In response to Reply # 3

Concord, US

Thank you for your response - I'm not sure if I'm following you completely. ViewNX2 and its cache are on my main C drive. I keep all of my photos in a separate dedicated WD 500gig hard drive. My processing is being done on the C drive, where the program resides. If I follow you, you're suggesting that I use three drives, keeping my cache separate from the drive I'm using for ViewNX2, with the third drive to hold the photos while in process - is this right? Thanks, John

— Ansel Adams

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 14-Oct-10 07:49 PM
10564 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: ViewNX2 or My Computer?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Correct. I've found through performance analysis under my old XP installation that putting ViewNX2 and the cache on the same physical drive was causing performance issues. I made a note of that when I migrated OS versions. Moving the cache to the same drive that housed the source images from which the thumbnails were built simply transferred the problem to another set of platters and didn't remediate the issue. Creating a third physical platter and moving the cache for all my editors, Adobe PS, Capture NX and VNX2 there helped boost performance immensely in those apps. There was less disk thrashing, thumbnails loaded faster and heavy "step" changes to a NEF under CNX was snappier.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

beachwalker Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2003Thu 14-Oct-10 11:29 PM
#8. "RE: ViewNX2 or My Computer?"
In response to Reply # 6

Concord, US

It sounds like three hard drives are needed - if so, I can do that - I have a third HD for backup purposes that has some space available. See Bob's note below - I need to try the Nikon Service first to try sorting this out. Your option sounds feasable when it starts working - haven't gotten there yet. But I may try your approach to running CNX2 though I have had no issues in lag time. Isn't greased lightening, but it doesn't creep either. Again, thanks.

— Ansel Adams

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 14-Oct-10 07:11 PM
12557 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: ViewNX2 or My Computer?"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Have you tried looking at the event viewer to see what error is recorded there? Have you tried contacting Nikon Support? I think they have a tool to run to completely remove any instances of the installed Sw so you can again try a clean install. The fact that you are running XP with SP3 should not be an issue. Is there any reason you are not running CNX2.2.5? Have you tried clearing the cache or better yet turning it off completely?

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

beachwalker Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2003Thu 14-Oct-10 11:12 PM
#7. "RE: ViewNX2 or My Computer?"
In response to Reply # 5
Thu 14-Oct-10 11:33 PM by beachwalker

Concord, US

Bob, thanks for your reply -

Here's what I find in the event viewer: "faulting applicagtion viewnx2.exe version 2.0.1.3001. faulting module cml10.dll version 10.0.0.3000, fault address 0x000143" This is the same message for the three program crashes I experienced.

Haven't tried Nikon Support yet - wanted to float the issue here to see if its something I can handle before diving into that- most of my problems have had rather simple solutions (once someone explained the issue) and I was hoping...

I have Nikon's regsweep zip file available, but, when it unzips I get four program files that it can be applied toward - ViewNX is one of them, not ViewNX2 - I suspect that they either have a new regsweep out or that I'll have to use this one. If so, my working version of ViewNX is in jeopardy - and that's not something I would like to fuss with/give up. I'm using ViewNX v1.4 as v1.5 never worked for me - same type of issue: crash on attempts to use it.

RE CNX2.2.5 - I'm quite happy with 2.2.4 - I believe that it was you who helped me over that hump early in the summer so I could access my D90 NEF files. From what I've been able to glean on 2.2.5, I don't see a lot of need to consider upgrading - given my history of upgrade issues.

I cleared the cache but no luck - program still crashed. How do you turn off the cache? I don't find that option.

Thanks for your assist and interest - John

— Ansel Adams

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 15-Oct-10 12:07 AM
12557 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: ViewNX2 or My Computer?"
In response to Reply # 7

San Jose, US

Sorry in View NX2 you can clear Cache, but not turn it off. I don't know what would happen if you just removed the cache location link, but I assume without one, it would not assign a cache, or it might just crash. OK some more questions and suggestions. When you install View NX2 it assigns a new location for uploaded files. How did you upload your files to the computer?

I checked my version of cml10.dll and it was version 10.0.0.0, size 146 kb. So if you want to try something before calling Nikon Suport, you could reinstall the CML10.DLL module as it may be corrupt.

I found this link which you will have to translate, but in this link there are suggestions for a fix. One involves substituting an older dll, which I do not recommend, another said he just removed the Old View NX and Nikon Transfer and it worked, as they did not seem to co exist. I have not had a coexisting problem, but then I am not running an AMD system. I found all this by searching for CML10.dll.

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/BV.aspx?ref=IE8Activity&a=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pixelistes.com%2Fforum%2Fviewnx2-de-nikon-vient-de-sortir-new-t92199-60.html

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

beachwalker Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2003Fri 15-Oct-10 05:15 PM
#11. "RE: ViewNX2 or My Computer?"
In response to Reply # 9

Concord, US

Thanks for your response - after working my way through the info at the link you provided, I initiated a contact with Nikon Support and have sent off the material to their initial request: system/computer info from the System Info buried deep in the Accessories.

Re: your questions - I downloaded ViewNX2 as a Save to a file folder I created in the Nikon file in the Program Files. I'm not sure if I created this or it came about when setting up a Nikon program. The save was to a file I created "ViewNX2 20101012". This is where I've kept all my Nikon downloads and the programs install there and have given me no problems - well, almost no problerms. After the download, I opened that file and initiated the application install. The default location selected by the install was in Program Files/Nikon in a new folder ViewNX2. I did nothing further, other than try an run the program. Again, thanks for your assist. John

— Ansel Adams

beachwalker Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2003Fri 22-Oct-10 03:14 PM
#14. "RE: ViewNX2 or My Computer?"
In response to Reply # 11

Concord, US

UPDATE: One week later, after providing Nikon Tech Support with the information they needed, I received a response - Remove ViewNX2 and use the provided Regsweep software, set up a new administrator account, and install ViewNX2 from a clean download, then test and report.

Well - did the remove and regsweep, and a remove of the ViewNX program and a second regsweep, set up the admin account, and did the install of ViewNX2. The results: identical to the origional problem, with the identical Event Viewer message. No progress. Reinstalled ViewNX and am back to where I was - unless Nikon proposes a rather simple and straight forward solution, I'll live with ViewNX and Capture NX2, v2.2.4, until I make a switch to a new computer - then the fun begins.

— Ansel Adams

JES44 Registered since 19th Feb 2007Fri 15-Oct-10 06:48 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: ViewNX2 or My Computer?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tampa, US

beachwalker,
I too had problems with View NX2 on my XP machine. I've now got Windows 7 and it runs without problems. However, when View NX2 wouldn't run on my XP computer, I discovered a really great viewing program called FastStone Image Viewer. This FREE program opens NEFs (plus any other image file) with lightening speed. It has lots of useful features and is very customizable. I've got it set so that pressing the "E" key opens the image in Capture NX2. I've come to like FastStone Viewer so much that it is now my default image viewer. Here's a link to the website: http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

beachwalker Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2003Fri 15-Oct-10 05:17 PM
#12. "RE: ViewNX2 or My Computer?"
In response to Reply # 10

Concord, US

Thanks for the lead - will take a look at this if I can't get anyplace with ViewNX2 - one of the thing I like about View is its ability to set ratings that share with CaptureNX2 as a means of setting some priorities with my workflow. But faststone is an option. Again, thanks. John

— Ansel Adams

TerryMc Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Oct 2008Mon 15-Nov-10 11:33 PM
396 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: ViewNX2 or My Computer?"
In response to Reply # 0

Sagamore Hills, US

A few things to try - update your video card drivers. Before you uninstall try running the program in safe mode. If you're not sure what safe mode is Google it for further information. If it runs ok there then there are problems with your current setup that are causing a conflict with the program.

Do you know how many programs are loading at start-up on your machine? There was/is a program called Enditall that would terminate programs running in the background thereby freeing up additional memory for programs you ae trying to run. This maybe something you may want to check into as well. If you know how to manually terminate background programs then you can bypass Enditall.

Although your machine is a bit long in the tooth it should be able to run this program. It most likely is a conflict somewhere along the line.

Terry

beachwalker Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2003Wed 17-Nov-10 11:10 AM
#16. "RE: ViewNX2 or My Computer?"
In response to Reply # 15

Concord, US

Thanks, Terry, for the input on this. I agree - there is a conflict someplace but, so far, I've been unable to resolve it. I've put it in Nikon's Tech Support's hands and, so far, they are stymied as well.
I tried doing an update of the video drivers - no change. Will try the safe mode suggestion - I've used it before. And there is little running in the background - I keep an eye on that and keep it down to a minimum. Since pushing the ram in this machine to the max, I've had no issues or problems with response times, etc.

Will keep trying - I did locate Enditall - a powerful little program that I've got to know more about before turning loose. Again, thanks. John

— Ansel Adams

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3882 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.