Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3808
View in linear mode

Subject: "NX2 and Sepia" Previous topic | Next topic
rcksil Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Aug 2010Wed 06-Oct-10 02:14 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NX2 and Sepia"
Wed 06-Oct-10 03:17 AM by rcksil

US

Has anyone figured out an easy way to do Sepia with NX2. I Convert to B&W then colorize. Since it looks like Nik is not going to have Silver Efex for NX2 for a while (I hope) I want to try to figure this out.
I have tried the Color Effects>Sepia but I cannot control my tints to give it more dark tones. Just looks a tad off Sepia to me.

Thanks
Rick

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: NX2 and Sepia
DeanAZ Moderator
06th Oct 2010
Ciderfish Silver Member
06th Oct 2010
robsb Platinum Member
06th Oct 2010
Ciderfish Silver Member
06th Oct 2010
Ciderfish Silver Member
06th Oct 2010
rcksil Silver Member
07th Oct 2010
FrankSRGB Silver Member
07th Oct 2010

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Wed 06-Oct-10 04:10 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NX2 and Sepia"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

After you convert to BW, try a Color Balance step instead. Here are the settings I have used as a starting point. You may need to play with it some to get it to your liking.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Ciderfish Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2008Wed 06-Oct-10 08:51 AM
114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: NX2 and Sepia"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

..and once you get it to your liking, you can save both steps (BW conversion and Color Balance) as one adjustment.

This can then called up at will as your default, either for a single image or a batch.

Kevin
A Nikonian in the West Country (England)

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 06-Oct-10 06:03 AM
12588 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: NX2 and Sepia"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

If you add NIK Color Effects Pro for NX2 you will be able to choose from multiple color tone effects.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Ciderfish Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2008Wed 06-Oct-10 08:21 AM
114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: NX2 and Sepia"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

If you shoot RAW (Profile indicates you do),it is already available to you via Picture Controls.

Picture Control / Monochrome / Toning / Sepia.

Kevin

Ciderfish Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2008Wed 06-Oct-10 08:27 AM
#4. "RE: NX2 and Sepia"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

I missed out an element, It is found under the Picture Control ADVANCED tab.

Also using a camera that does not have picture control (like my D80) you just change from non-picture control to picture control in the drop down in that area.

I hope that makes sense

Kevin

rcksil Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Aug 2010Thu 07-Oct-10 02:01 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: NX2 and Sepia"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Thanks for all the ideas. I think I am going to set up a control step and save it. I am glad NX2 will let me do that. I like the darker richer sepia tones. Maybe I am just a little picky since I got spoiled by Silver Efex.
In Color Efex, I tried the Antique Photo and darkened it and reduced the grain it get close but I just need/want a little more flexibility.
I looked for the Multiple Color Tone in CEP but could not find it. I found the Paper tone and played with that too.
Soo I just have to find the tint I like and save it.

Thanks Again
Rick

FrankSRGB Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2009Thu 07-Oct-10 07:13 AM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: NX2 and Sepia"
In response to Reply # 6

US

There's a sepia feature available right in the edit list.

Select New Step / Select Adjustment / Photo Effects and then in the edit step choose Sepia from the Enhance Photo dropdown. There is also a check box to Enhance Dark Tones as well as other adjustments.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3808 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.