Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3794
View in linear mode

Subject: "View NX2 " Previous topic | Next topic
Rudy61 Registered since 15th Sep 2010Mon 04-Oct-10 08:37 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"View NX2 "

Cornwall, US

I downloaded the View NX2. The instruction are vague. To be specific can I integrate the photos I have already in ViewNX (using MAC)into ViewNX2. Is that possible? Is so how? The help section of the software is not geared for the less savy software user. Thanks!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: View NX2
Robp Gold Member
05th Oct 2010
Rudy61
05th Oct 2010
Freewheeler10
05th Oct 2010
Robp Gold Member
06th Oct 2010
ericbowles Moderator
07th Oct 2010
Freewheeler10
08th Oct 2010
Robp Gold Member
08th Oct 2010
ericbowles Moderator
08th Oct 2010

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Tue 05-Oct-10 02:24 AM
951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: View NX2 "
In response to Reply # 0

Gainesville, US

Rudy,

Both programs just look at your directory structure in order to let you display images residing there; this means that the images you viewed in ViewNX are exactly the same (already integrated) that you should see in ViewNX 2. You should not have any problems with ViewNX 2 if you just look at the directory tree in the "Folders" panel on the left side of the display and click on a folder that contains your images.

Rob Puller
my Nikonians gallery

Rudy61 Registered since 15th Sep 2010Tue 05-Oct-10 11:01 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: View NX2 "
In response to Reply # 1

Cornwall, US

Great! Thanks, Rob

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Tue 05-Oct-10 12:45 PM
1105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: View NX2 "
In response to Reply # 0

Englewood, US

>I downloaded the View NX2. The instruction are vague. To be
>specific can I integrate the photos I have already in ViewNX
>(using MAC)into ViewNX2. Is that possible? Is so how?

Having used ViewNX and now ViewNX2, I noted the following:
I had set (in the old Nikon Transfer) the default destination for my images as
~/Pictures/Nikon Transfer. ViewNX2 with Nikon Transfer 2 imbedded, wants
to put images into ~/Pictures/Nikon Transfer 2.
In the Finder, I navigated to ~/Pictures/Nikon Transfer and selected everything
in the folder, and dragged everything into the /Nikon Transfer 2 folder. Now, by
default, ViewNX2 defaults to that folder, and all my images are there. Otherwise
I suppose you could, in ViewNX2, navigate to the old folder and drag it up into the
"favorite folders" area, so you could find the images with a couple clicks. It seemed
simpler to me to put everything where ViewNX2 wanted to look for it.

'Nobody ever grows old merely by living a number of years. Years
wrinkle the skin, but to give up one's enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.'
___Romany saying

http://gallery.me.com/freewheeler
http://freewheeler10.blogspot.com/

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Wed 06-Oct-10 08:35 PM
951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: View NX2 "
In response to Reply # 3

Gainesville, US

I couldn't stomach being forced into a subdirectory named "Nikon Transfer" (which didn't agree with the directory naming scheme I had already set up. Fortunately, in relatively short order, I discovered that the Primary Destination directory tree can be edited (which I do each new year). Now ViewNX 2 looks in the same place that Bridge and some other viewers that I occasionally play with look to.

Rob Puller
my Nikonians gallery

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 07-Oct-10 09:04 AM
8609 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: View NX2 "
In response to Reply # 4

Atlanta, US

Like Rob, I have all pictures for new transfers going into my Pictures folder. Each download is a new folder with a location name, 2 digit folder number, and date naming convention. The folders with images are ultimately stored by location and year in my backup drives.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Fri 08-Oct-10 12:03 AM
1105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: View NX2 "
In response to Reply # 4

Englewood, US

Well, of course you can set it up any which way you please; but the original poster did
sort of indicate that he was not a software expert, so I just tried to provide a simple solution.
I myself rather prefer Nikon Transfer 2 as a destination. Since I have an iphone and a point
and shoot as well as my D300, it's nice to tell at a glance where the images originated.
The images are further sorted (by Nikon Transfer2) by year, month and day shot anyway.

While there is perhaps a province in which the photograph can tell
us nothing more than what we see with our own eyes, there is another
in which it proves to us how little our eyes permit us to see.
~Dorothea Lange

http://gallery.me.com/freewheeler
http://freewheeler10.blogspot.com/

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Fri 08-Oct-10 02:06 AM
#7. "RE: View NX2 "
In response to Reply # 6
Fri 08-Oct-10 02:17 AM by Robp

Gainesville, US

Hi Gary,

I certainly did not intend to suggest that your explanation wasn't exactly as it should have been; I was just remarking on the fact that several years ago i was aggravated because I didn't realize that the "Primary destination folder" field could be altered and I wanted the OP, and others, to be able to avoid my lack of insight. I should add (for the OP) that the Subfolder field can be edited to provide a great deal more file structure information such as additional subfolders, event names, and more.

Since I have your ear (hopefully), I've noticed in other posts that you seem to know a lot of "tips & tricks" to use with our Mac computers. Do you have a list of those you could share or do you know of a website that has such a list?

Regards,

Rob Puller
my Nikonians gallery

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 08-Oct-10 12:35 PM
8609 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: View NX2 "
In response to Reply # 7

Atlanta, US

I agree with Rob's suggestion. Many of us have iPhones and comments on integration of iPhones with DSLR workflow and editing techniques will be helpful.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3794 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.