Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3713
View in linear mode

Subject: "View NX Bug?" Previous topic | Next topic
ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSun 26-Sep-10 10:29 PM
8148 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"View NX Bug?"

Powder Springs, US

A while back I had some "apparently" damaged files on my CF card. When I copied them to my system drive using View NX and imported them into Lightroom, they were damaged. I thought it was the CF card, but when I use Explorer to copy and paste, I had no problems.

Today I thought I would try View NX2. I copied 5 files from my CF card to the system drive and when I opened one file up in Capture NX2, I got an end of file error. I do this because Nikon will not give us a 64 bit codec (biting tongue).

Is this a know bug? Am I doing something wrong, other than using View NX2?

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: View NX Bug?
Freewheeler10
27th Sep 2010
ScottChapin Moderator
27th Sep 2010
robsb Platinum Member
28th Sep 2010
ScottChapin Moderator
28th Sep 2010
robsb Platinum Member
29th Sep 2010
ScottChapin Moderator
29th Sep 2010
robsb Platinum Member
29th Sep 2010
ScottChapin Moderator
29th Sep 2010
robsb Platinum Member
30th Sep 2010
ScottChapin Moderator
30th Sep 2010
cliddell Silver Member
30th Sep 2010
ScottChapin Moderator
30th Sep 2010

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Mon 27-Sep-10 01:13 PM
1105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: View NX Bug?"
In response to Reply # 0

Englewood, US

>Is this a know bug? Am I doing something wrong, other than
>using View NX2?

Tongue in cheek mode on: Well, you are using windows....
tongue in cheek mode off

I have not heard of that happening, and it has never occurred
on the Macs here. I also cannot get it to happen on my windows
machines (which, it must be noted are all running XP/SP3). The
Mac handles 32- or 64-bit issues pretty transparently. The worst
case scenario is that the operating system informs you that it will
have to shut down a host application (like Aperture) and re-start
it it 32-bit mode to use a particular plug-in, and does the shut-
down/restart in about five seconds, and you're right back where
you were and ready to roll.

'Nobody ever grows old merely by living a number of years. Years
wrinkle the skin, but to give up one's enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.'
___Romany saying

http://gallery.me.com/freewheeler
http://freewheeler10.blogspot.com/

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberMon 27-Sep-10 08:41 PM
8148 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: View NX Bug?"
In response to Reply # 1

Powder Springs, US

Yes, it is sad that Apple lost the original software wars. I try to use View NX2, because I can see the thumbnails when trying to import a portion of the files, as others have already been imported.

Even so, View NX2 should not corrupt files when you copy and paste. It's not an issue outside of that program.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 28-Sep-10 12:01 AM
12825 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: View NX Bug?"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Scott:

I am not sure I understand what your problem is. Are the files "damaged" or not? If your issue is that you are trying to use the 32 bit Nikon Codec on a 64 bit system, that of course will not work. You need a third party codec. Are the files opening in View NX or View NX2 and not in Capture NX2? Have you tried to recover the files on your CF card using the usual rescue tools? I ahve no problem opening any files using either ViewNX2 or Capture NX2. I now use the embedded Nikon Transfer, now part of View NX2. My codec is 64 bit Fast Picture Viewer.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberTue 28-Sep-10 09:23 AM
#4. "RE: View NX Bug?"
In response to Reply # 3

Powder Springs, US

Bob,

The files on the CF card are unscathed. They transfer via Explorer just fine on my 64 bit system, I just cannot see the thumbnails in Explorer.

View NX and View NX2 open and view them just fine. The damage occurs when I use those two programs to cut and paste the files from the CF card, in an express slot, to the system drive.

After the cut and paste, I get the errors when opening in Capture NX2 and LR. The files remain unscathed on the card.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 29-Sep-10 05:37 AM
12825 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: View NX Bug?"
In response to Reply # 4

San Jose, US

So you are saying that when you try to move the files from the card using either Nikon Transfer or the new embedded in version in View NX2 it corrupts the file?

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberWed 29-Sep-10 09:19 AM
#6. "RE: View NX Bug?"
In response to Reply # 5
Wed 29-Sep-10 09:26 AM by ScottChapin

Powder Springs, US

I don't use Nikon Transfer, but I have used View NX and View NX2. In both cases I open the browser, browse the card, copy, and then paste to the system drive.

The files on the card are fine, but the transferred files get corrupted. I usually don't need to see the thumbnails, as I transfer all the files from the card using Explorer and LR displays them after import.

Nikon Transfer never appealed to me, as it is just extra overhead for me and takes up HDD space. I know the space is minimal by today's standards.

Edited to add: Not every file gets corrupted. About 1 in 5 randomly do.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 29-Sep-10 08:42 PM
#7. "RE: View NX Bug?"
In response to Reply # 6

San Jose, US

OK, so you are not using the Nikon Transfer tool, so how is this a View NX bug? You are cutting and pasting with Explorer, so you should be looking there for your bug. Since Transfer is now embedded in ViewNX2, I don't see how you are saving space, unless you have not installed NX2. I have NEVER had a transfer problem or corruption with Nikon Transfer nor the new embedded version. It transfers my files to two different locations and allows me to rename them on transfer. What codec are you using?

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberWed 29-Sep-10 09:52 PM
#8. "RE: View NX Bug?"
In response to Reply # 7

Powder Springs, US

>OK, so you are not using the Nikon Transfer tool, so how is
>this a View NX bug?

1. I did not realize that transfer was embedded in View NX
2. I AM copying and pasting within View NX or View NX2 when the files corrupt, not Explorer.
3. I am not using Explorer when the files corrupt.
4. I use Explorer when I don't need to see the thumbnails. In that instance I have no problems.

IOW:

A. I browse, copy, and paste in View NX or View NX2 and the transferred file copies are corrupted,

B. I browse, copy, and paste in Explorer and the transferred files are fine.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 30-Sep-10 01:57 AM
#9. "RE: View NX Bug?"
In response to Reply # 8

San Jose, US

Let me be clearer. View NX uses a stand alone Nikon Transfer. View NX2 has Nikon transfers functions embedded in the View NX2 menus, so you just open View NX2 and select the right menu selection to import images.

So you see the images on the card while in View NX2 and are copying and pasting that image? I can't conceive of a reason why copy and paste should not work, but at least try a transfer within ViewNX2 without cutting and pasting and see what happens.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberThu 30-Sep-10 02:06 AM
#10. "RE: View NX Bug?"
In response to Reply # 9

Powder Springs, US

Thank you, I had not yet discovered that Nikon Transfer has been included in View NX2. I will try that.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Thu 30-Sep-10 11:00 AM
999 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: View NX Bug?"
In response to Reply # 10

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Hi Scott,

I tried Nikon Transfer (embedded in VNX2) just to be able to say that I have because, like you, I copy and paste in the VNX directory tree and have never had a failure (yet :>)

I did notice a nice feature (which may have been there in previous versions?) ie. synchronising the time to multiple cameras. Just have to search around for the USB cable connector and after that, its a couple of clicks for each camera.

Regarding your corrupted images - I suspect it could be your card reader or the connection to the computer. I have found a couple of times that a card reader "problem" has been the small USB plug being semi-dislodged by the wads of paper littering my home workstation.

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberThu 30-Sep-10 06:55 PM
#12. "RE: View NX Bug?"
In response to Reply # 11

Powder Springs, US

Hi Clive,

Actually I am using a Delkin express card reader, and I have wondered if it were the problem. I ruled that out, since it plays so nicely with Explorer, but who knows?

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3713 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.