Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3675
View in linear mode

Subject: "View NX2: stray window whenever using it" Previous topic | Next topic
PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Thu 23-Sep-10 11:05 AM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"View NX2: stray window whenever using it"

Kingston, CA

Hi. I installed View NX2 2.0.1 a couple of weeks ago and it is working fine except there is an orphan window that is present whenever the tool is running. It is a relatively small window. A snapshot appears below. It can't be closed and can't be terminated with the process monitor. "mptproc" does return any useful Google results. Anyone else seeing this? It is only an annoyance but a fix would be welcome. Thanks, Peter

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: View NX2: stray window whenever using it
Robp Gold Member
24th Sep 2010
PAStime Silver Member
24th Sep 2010
Robp Gold Member
24th Sep 2010
PAStime Silver Member
24th Sep 2010
Robp Gold Member
25th Sep 2010
glo Silver Member
24th Sep 2010
Schaffhausen
19th Oct 2010
PAStime Silver Member
20th Oct 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
20th Oct 2010
PAStime Silver Member
21st Oct 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
21st Oct 2010
PAStime Silver Member
22nd Oct 2010

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Fri 24-Sep-10 04:11 AM
951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: View NX2: stray window whenever using it"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 24-Sep-10 04:20 AM by Robp

Gainesville, US

Hi Peter,

Here's a shot in the dark!

One acronym for MPT is Maryland Public Television (I guess that's available in Canada). I'm betting you were watching something on an internet carrier of MPT, maybe through your browser or, more likely, Windows Media Player, then called up View NX2, and some process associated with the program you used to watch the TV channel got hung up. Try exiting that program before opening View NX2.

Sherlock (Rob) Puller
my Nikonians gallery

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Fri 24-Sep-10 01:05 PM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: View NX2: stray window whenever using it"
In response to Reply # 1

Kingston, CA

>Hi Peter,
>Here's a shot in the dark!

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I wasn't watching anything of the sort. Also, the problem is repeatable, even after a reboot. Cheers, Peter

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Fri 24-Sep-10 06:57 PM
951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: View NX2: stray window whenever using it"
In response to Reply # 2

Gainesville, US

>Here's a shot in the dark!

More like a shot in the foot.

I don't see anything on my system like this. You've probably already done this; if not, take another look in "Task Manager" (simultaneously click on the Control/Alt/Delete keys and select "Start Task Manager". Click on the "Services" tab, then click on the "Services" button. If you see the mPT* name, double click on it and click on the "Dependencies" tab in the ensuing window to see if this gives you any clues to associated processes that you could investigate. If you find it, try going to "Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management"; in the ensuing window, click on "Services and Applications", double click on "Services", then double click on the associated file name and try to stop it.

Doubt that this will help, but the process may reveal something to you. Obviously, you've got me stumped.

Rob Puller
my Nikonians gallery

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Fri 24-Sep-10 11:31 PM
#5. "RE: View NX2: stray window whenever using it"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri 24-Sep-10 11:34 PM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

Good idea to explore the process. I ran the sysinternals process explorer tool. See image below. I see it is a ViewNX2 executable and the mutex aspects suggests it may be a process blocked for some reason. Often .exe and .dll files are described somewhere on the net but not this one, at least not yet. Peter

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Sat 25-Sep-10 03:11 AM
#6. "RE: View NX2: stray window whenever using it"
In response to Reply # 5

Gainesville, US

Still blindly shooting in the dark, but the mutex object state suggests that ViewNX is waiting for a in-use resource to be released. I'd try exiting any programs that are running in the background, beginning with programs similar to ViewNX in that they deal with images. Examples might be any Adobe, Nikon, X-Rite, or Corel products plus Windows Media Center, Windows Media Player, iTunes, etc. Check your computer devices to make sure that unused things like an SD card reader, removable disk or other USB connection have been Ejected or Safely Removed. I know it's unlikely that problems with these things would survive a reboot, but I've seen lots of strange happenings in the past.

At any rate, you already have a fair amount of information to dump on Nikon Support.

Rob Puller
my Nikonians gallery

glo Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2005Fri 24-Sep-10 05:08 PM
924 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: View NX2: stray window whenever using it"
In response to Reply # 0

Montgomery, US

Peter:

I'm not seeing the "mPTproc" window on my VNX2.

Maybe an uninstall and reinstall of a fresh download is in order.

Grady
MY GALLERY

Schaffhausen Registered since 13th Jan 2010Tue 19-Oct-10 08:02 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: View NX2: stray window whenever using it"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Hi Peter,

I have observed the same irritating problem on one of my systems (Windows 7, 32-bit, quad-core Xeon). This orphan window is - as you most certainly have already figured it out - the artifact of the MyPicturetown add-on in the View NX2. I don't need it this add-on and do not intend to sign up with it.

That empty window is not showing up at all on my other system (also Windows 7, 32-bit). De-installing and re-installing the application does nothing to remove it; I tried it a few times with no joy.
Also, the manual removal of the relevant *.exe and *.dll files from the Program Files\Nikon\ViewNX 2 folder does not really do the job but rather invites other nasty system prompts.

Have you perhaps found a way of rectifying it by now?

Cheers,
Mark

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 20-Oct-10 12:52 AM
#8. "RE: View NX2: stray window whenever using it"
In response to Reply # 7

Kingston, CA

Hi Mark,

Nice to know I am not alone with this. No, I have not found a solution. And I am too lazy to contact Nikon support.

I just renamed the executable with the window name. I get this on startup "An error occurred - please restart View NX2". But three minutes playing with View NX2 suggests it is still working.

Sorry I can't be of any help.

Peter

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 20-Oct-10 05:05 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: View NX2: stray window whenever using it"
In response to Reply # 8
Wed 20-Oct-10 05:32 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

I believe that window is associated with the Nikon Message Center #. You can remove them or close them.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Thu 21-Oct-10 03:00 AM
#10. "RE: View NX2: stray window whenever using it"
In response to Reply # 9

Kingston, CA

Hi George,

I am not able to close the window or terminate the process.

Peter

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 21-Oct-10 03:10 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: View NX2: stray window whenever using it"
In response to Reply # 10
Thu 21-Oct-10 03:12 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Have you tried to remove the Nikon Message Center?

Try the "three finger salute" and use the Task Manager to terminate the application or process. Then remove the Nikon Message Center.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Fri 22-Oct-10 12:06 AM
#12. "RE: View NX2: stray window whenever using it"
In response to Reply # 11

Kingston, CA

Hi. Thanks for the suggestion. I uninstalled Nikon Message Center and Nikon Message Center 2 and the window still appears when I start ViewNX2! Peter

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3675 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.