Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3616
View in linear mode

Subject: ""Save" vs. "Save as" in Capture NX 2" Previous topic | Next topic
pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Mon 20-Sep-10 04:03 PM
246 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
""Save" vs. "Save as" in Capture NX 2"

Tucson AZ, US

This is a basic question from a recent convert to Capture NX 2. I'm sure it indicates a misunderstanding of how caching works. Unfortunately, neither of my CNX2 books elucidates the subject!

I have adopted the following NEF-centric workflow built around CNX2.

After completing some basic Develop and global adjustment steps, I create a version called "Master" and hit "Edit -> Save." The cache is updated in under a second; hopefully, the NEF on disc will also be updated later, e.g., when I exit from CNX2. While I'm working, the text across the top of the image window reads

DSC_0012.NEF* @ 16% | 4.8MB

This reassures me that my changes will eventually be reflected in the file DSC_0012.NEF (at least that's how I interpret it). Each time I hit "Edit -> Save," the cache is updated.

Continuing to work on the same image, I typically crop and resize, do some final sharpening, and "Save as" jpg for posting to a Web gallery. Once I do this, the text across the top of the image window reads

DSC_0012.jpg @ 50% | 55.2KB

Here is my question: Once I have "Saved as" jpg, how do I force a cache update WITHOUT creating another RGB image (tiff or jpg)?

For example, suppose I revert to the Master version, desaturate it, and create a new version called "B&W." I've spent a lot of time getting this right, and I'm worried that CNX2 might crash, so I hit "Edit -> Save." Oops: I just overwrote the color jpg! I could hit "Save as" and give it a new name, e.g., DSC_0012_bw.jpg. But I'm not ready to create the RGB image. I only want my changes flushed to the cache, the way they were before I created an RGB image. Is there any way to do this?

Visit my gallery on 23hq

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: "Save" vs. "Save as" in Capture NX 2
cliddell Silver Member
20th Sep 2010
pwarbeck Silver Member
20th Sep 2010
PAStime Silver Member
20th Sep 2010
pwarbeck Silver Member
20th Sep 2010
dk99 Silver Member
21st Sep 2010
mklass Platinum Member
21st Sep 2010
pwarbeck Silver Member
21st Sep 2010
pwarbeck Silver Member
21st Sep 2010
mklass Platinum Member
21st Sep 2010
Antero52 Silver Member
21st Sep 2010
pwarbeck Silver Member
21st Sep 2010
FrankSRGB Silver Member
21st Sep 2010
pwarbeck Silver Member
22nd Sep 2010
TiggerGTO Silver Member
21st Sep 2010
pwarbeck Silver Member
22nd Sep 2010
Shipmate Gold Member
22nd Sep 2010
mklass Platinum Member
22nd Sep 2010
pwarbeck Silver Member
22nd Sep 2010
TiggerGTO Silver Member
23rd Sep 2010
Shipmate Gold Member
23rd Sep 2010
PAStime Silver Member
23rd Sep 2010
FrankSRGB Silver Member
24th Sep 2010
PAStime Silver Member
24th Sep 2010
TiggerGTO Silver Member
24th Sep 2010
PAStime Silver Member
25th Sep 2010
mklass Platinum Member
25th Sep 2010
PAStime Silver Member
25th Sep 2010
TiggerGTO Silver Member
27th Sep 2010
pwarbeck Silver Member
24th Sep 2010

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Mon 20-Sep-10 07:29 PM
987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: "Save" vs. "Save as" in Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 0

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Hi,

I have always pressed Ctrl-S to "Save" and as far as I know the altered RAW image is saved to disk. I don't know about Edit->Save??

In any case I have my "edit cache" unchecked. I understand that the edit cache facilitates "redrawing" the image but I have not noticed any practical difference.

If I want to "save" either the previous edit or the new RAW edit I save them in the "Version" menu, naming them appropriately.

All I can say is that I frequently delete "cache" especially in ViewNX and find this keeps the program speed up.

In summary then, I only have one RAW file saved (and obviously backed up etc) and I only "save as" JPEG with quality/size depending on which "version" I choose what I wish to do with the JPEG image.

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Mon 20-Sep-10 08:28 PM
246 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: "Save" vs. "Save as" in Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 1

Tucson AZ, US

Hi Clive,
Thank you for your reply. I meant "File -> Save" not "Edit -> Save." And of course there should always be only one RAW file (not counting backups) containing one or more versions. Such is my understanding of "NEF centric workflow." As far as cache configuration is concerned, I'm simply using the CNX2 default setup, so there shouldn't be any peculiar behavior. I understand that caching merely affects processing speed. It should not affect functionality.

Ctrl-S is just a shortcut for File -> Save. If you have not yet saved an RGB image (jpg, tiff), then ctrl-S updates the NEF on disk. Great!!! But once you HAVE "Saved as" jpg or tiff, Ctrl-S simply updates the jpg or tiff on disk. The NEF file is not updated. Additional changes you make are not written to the NEF file! The only way to resume working on the NEF after saving a jpg or tiff (e.g., to begin work on a new version) is to re-open the NEF from the file browser! Clearly, I'm missing something.

Visit my gallery on 23hq

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Mon 20-Sep-10 10:51 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: "Save" vs. "Save as" in Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 20-Sep-10 10:56 PM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

>After completing some basic Develop and global adjustment
>steps, I create a version called "Master" and hit
>"Edit -> Save." The cache is updated in under a
>second; hopefully, the NEF on disc will also be updated later,
>e.g., when I exit from CNX2. While I'm working, the text
>across the top of the image window reads

Hello,

I don't understand your question. I also think the paragraph above doesn't make sense. I need some help to understand this paragraph.

When you say "the cache is updated in under a second" I don't know what you mean by that. You do not have any control over the cache. The cache is merely something invisible going on in the background that speeds up the loading and viewing of an image on a second or subsequent opening of the image (or batch processing). NX2 keeps these in its cache for this purpose - you have no control over that.

After you do a "File -> Save", the NEF file is updated immediately. Maybe the cache is also updated, maybe not. If it was, a later reopening of the image will be a bit faster. If it wasn't, it won't be a bit faster.

Peter

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Mon 20-Sep-10 11:11 PM
#4. "RE: "Save" vs. "Save as" in Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 3

Tucson AZ, US

Hi Peter,
I probably shouldn't have mentioned the cache. My second post (replying to Clive) describes the problem more succinctly: Once you "Save as" jpg or tiff, the NEF is no longer updated. From then on, File -> Save updates only the jpg or tiff.

Visit my gallery on 23hq

dk99 Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2007Tue 21-Sep-10 12:17 AM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: "Save" vs. "Save as" in Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 4

Fort Myers, US

>Hi Peter,
>I probably shouldn't have mentioned the cache. My second post
>(replying to Clive) describes the problem more succinctly:
>Once you "Save as" jpg or tiff, the NEF is no longer
>updated. From then on, File -> Save updates only the jpg or
>tiff.

Once you are done editing "Save" then "Save As". Therefore you save the NEF and then you save the file as a JPG.

HTH

"d"

Dennis

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 21-Sep-10 12:46 AM
5590 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: "Save" vs. "Save as" in Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 5

Tacoma, US

If you "Save" the NEF, then do a "Save As" for the JPG, as long as you don't close the file, you can do another "Save As" a NEF, and all of your changes since the first "Save", will then go into the NEF. The second "Save As" can be to the same NEF (overwriting it) or to a new file.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Tue 21-Sep-10 01:16 AM
#8. "RE: "Save" vs. "Save as" in Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 6

Tucson AZ, US

>If you "Save" the NEF, then do a "Save
>As" for the JPG, as long as you don't close the file, you
>can do another "Save As" a NEF, and all of your
>changes since the first "Save", will then go into
>the NEF. The second "Save As" can be to the same NEF
>(overwriting it) or to a new file.
>
>Mick
>www.mickklassphoto.com

Mick,
Now we're getting somewhere! Your way seems to be the only way to do what I want to do. But as I mentioned to Dennis, when you "Save as" NEF, CNX2 asks if you want to overwrite the existing NEF. To me, that indicates that I'm doing something wrong. Gee, maybe CNX2 wants me to create a file called DSC_0034_A.NEF. But creating multiple NEF files is contrary to the idea of Nef-centric workflow, which (as I understand it) entails keeping all your versions in a single NEF.

In other image processing software I have used, File -> Save re-saves the "project" file (in this case, corresponding to the NEF) and File -> Export... creates the RGB file. You never get a warning from File -> Save, since it's normal to periodically update your project file.

Visit my gallery on 23hq

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Tue 21-Sep-10 01:05 AM
#7. "RE: "Save" vs. "Save as" in Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 5
Tue 21-Sep-10 01:07 AM by pwarbeck

Tucson AZ, US

Dennis,
What do you mean by "done editing?" I can easily spend an hour or more working on a single image. During this time, I want to keep the image open in CNX2, and I want to create several versions (within the NEF) and one or more jpgs of each. But how? The NEF is no longer updated after the first "Save as" jpg.

Just to be clear, below is the hypothetical sequence of steps I would LIKE to perform:

1) Open a NEF in CNX2
2) Apply WB, Picture control, etc.
3) Label this version "Master"
4) File -> Save
5) Scale and crop for the Web
6) File -> Save as jpg
7) Select version "Master" from the Version pulldown
8) Desaturate the image and do some local adjustments
9) Label this version "B&W"
10) File -> Save
11) Scale and crop for the Web
12) File -> Save as jpg (give a different name from the one in step 6)
13) It's getting late ... quit CNX2
14) Tomorrow morning ... restart CNX2
15) Reopen the NEF to continue working

My surprise comes in step 15 when I discover that the NEF only contains a single version, namely "Master." That's because only step 4 updated the NEF. All subsequent "Save" and "Save as" steps (6, 10, 12) saved the jpg. In fact, step 10 overwrote my color jpg with an unscaled, uncropped black and white version.

I realize that it is possible to "Save as" NEF in step 10. But if I do, CNX2 asks me if I want to overwrite the existing NEF. I take that as a sign that I'm doing something unnatural -- something CNX2 doesn't expect.

Visit my gallery on 23hq

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 21-Sep-10 01:17 AM
5590 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: "Save" vs. "Save as" in Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 7

Tacoma, US

Nothing wrong with overwriting the original NEF with a "Save As", as long as that is what you want to do. Otherwise, give it a new file name.

If you are using versions, your can overwrite the old NEF and still have the new versions.

If you feel nervous about any of this, backup your original before doing any editing, or just create new filenames for the NEF. It will chew up disk space and possibly cause confusion, but you won't overwrite anything.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Tue 21-Sep-10 07:32 AM
2488 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: "Save" vs. "Save as" in Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

I think the OP’s question got answered (after “Save as … JPG” do a “Save as … NEF”). But considering the big picture, I can’t help thinking that the workflow of Lightroom is the way to go. There are no “Save” or “Save as…” commands, and in the Develop module, where images are being edited, it is impossible not to save the edits (other than by explicitly resetting the edits) or to save the edits in the wrong file format. The process of creating alternative file formats takes place in the Library module, under “Export”. Thus it is impossible to save the edits in the JPG file (only) instead of the NEF file.

I think it would be better if the “Save As…” command from NX2 was a one-shot operation only, and the NEF file remains as the default file for any subsequent saves. This is because it will always be possible to update the already-saved JPG file from the NEF file, but not vice versa.

On the other hand, it is always possible never to use the “Save As…” command from NX2 when doing edits, and only do bulk or individual format conversions in a separate session, to emulate the Lightroom workflow in NX2.

Best regards,
Antero

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Tue 21-Sep-10 01:52 PM
#13. "RE: "Save" vs. "Save as" in Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 10

Tucson AZ, US

Antero,
I agree 100% with your analysis. Problem solved. Thanks to everyone for your help!

Visit my gallery on 23hq

FrankSRGB Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2009Tue 21-Sep-10 08:01 AM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: "Save" vs. "Save as" in Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 21-Sep-10 08:05 AM by FrankSRGB

US

pwarbeck,

I think jumping back and forth between saving NEFs and JPGs is perhaps making things more complicated than they need to be.

It sounds like what you really want to do is save 1 NEF (containing multiple versions) and then save JPGs of each of those versions.

Consider this alternative workflow....

1) Open a NEF in CNX2
2) Apply WB, Picture control, etc.
3) Label this version "Master"
4) File -> Save
5) Desaturate the image and do some local adjustments
6) Label this version "B&W"
7) File -> Save

Notice that at this point you have saved the NEF containing two versions, Master and B&W. The B&W version was based on the Master because you simply added desaturation and local adjustments to the bottom of the Master's edit list. To continue, I will assume you want to create a color version for the web. If that assumption is wrong and you want a B&W version instead simply ignore step 8 below and go straight to step 9.....

8) Select version "Master" from the Version pulldown
9) Scale and crop for the Web
10) Label this version "Web"
11) File -> Save

At this point you have three versions saved in the same NEF and saved each using File -> Save. You could actually ignore steps 4 and 7, and simply save all three versions with just step 11. You are essentially finished with the NEF and can now generate JPG images of your various versions. Here I'll assume you want JPGs of the B&W and the Web versions....

12) Select version "B&W" from the Version pulldown
13) Save-As JPG
14) Select version "Web" from the Version pulldown
15) Save-As JPG (changing the filename or the folder to which it's saved, so you won't overwrite the B&W JPG).
16) Close CNX

You shouldn't get any surprises this way. The NEF has been saved multiple times using only the File -> Save command. The JPGs have all been saved using only the File -> Save-As command, which in itself should prevent you from accidentally overwriting a previously saved JPG.

Regards,
Frank

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Wed 22-Sep-10 05:58 PM
#14. "RE: "Save" vs. "Save as" in Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 11

Tucson AZ, US

Hi Frank,
Thanks for your suggestion.  Your procedure is methodical and
has the advantage of using "Save" and "Save
as" consistently.  However my B&W example was a real
one.  I made a color version, saved the NEF, then Saved as jpg
and posted it to the Web.  At the last minute, I decided to
continue working and make a B&W version.  So although it
would be nice, you can't always predict the order in advance.

Visit my gallery on 23hq

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Tue 21-Sep-10 12:02 PM
2252 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: "Save" vs. "Save as" in Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 0

Apex, US

I've been bitten by this also. One way around it is to use Edit->Duplicate (Ctrl-D or command-D) before doing the save-as to convert to the JPG. Then close the JPG and you still have the NEF open.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Wed 22-Sep-10 06:05 PM
#15. "RE: "Save" vs. "Save as" in Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 12

Tucson AZ, US

Danny,
Good suggestion! CNX2 names the duplicate X_copy.NEF (where X is the original file name), so in theory, you should never be confused as to which version you're working on. But in practice there is some risk of (say) going to the trouble of creating new versions in the duplicate, then realizing you should have made them in the original....

All in all, I'd say CNX2 needs a better file interface, like Save (for NEF) and Export for non-native file types.

Visit my gallery on 23hq

Shipmate Gold Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Wed 22-Sep-10 08:14 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: "Save" vs. "Save as" in Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 15

SHERBORN, US

Sorry jumping in on this so late in the game, but I thought that one of the real benefits of working in RAW is that its non-destructive, meaning you can undo anything you did at later time and then do something entirely different. When you save to JPEG, however, what you have done is make your current version of your RAW file into a different format, which if you modify the JPEG further after the save, it will be changed forever. Do I have this wrong?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 22-Sep-10 09:03 PM
#17. "RE: "Save" vs. "Save as" in Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 16

Tacoma, US

Nope, that's right.

The questions is really more about the procedures for maintaining raw and jpeg versions.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Wed 22-Sep-10 10:07 PM
#18. "RE: "Save" vs. "Save as" in Capture NX 2"

Tucson AZ, US

Hi Shipmate,
I would qualify Mick's statement 'you are correct' as follows:

After "Save as" jpg, CNX2 displays a message at the top of the image window that seems to say that you are now working on a jpg. But notice that the Camera Settings section of the Edit list is still available, which would not be the case if you had initially opened a jpg for editing. So something is inconsistent here. What the message is really telling you is that if you Save this image again, you're going to resave the jpg. And you are correct that if you later open the jpg for editing, you won't see any versions or adjustments. But as long as you keep the image open, you have the option to "Save as" NEF. In fact, you better do so if you are making adjustments that you hope to be able to change later.

Visit my gallery on 23hq

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Thu 23-Sep-10 01:46 AM
2252 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: "Save" vs. "Save as" in Capture NX 2"

Apex, US

You do not have this wrong. It is quite common to use "Save as" to create a JPG from a NEF. The OP is complaining about two possible problems when using "Save as" in this fashion.

First, any unsaved changes are only applied to the JPG when you do the "Save as". This may not be a problem if you have done some web-centric modifications like changing the color space, or adjusting the size and resolution to make the image much smaller. However, imagine putting the finishing touches on the image to make it look just the way that you want. In your excitement to upload the image to the web, you use "Save as" to create the JPG. If you do that without thinking to save the changes to the NEF first, you just lost the unsaved changes from the NEF. You may be quite disappointed the next time you open the NEF and notice that some of your edits are missing.

Second, after using "Save as" the active file in the edit window is now the JPG. It is very easy to continue editing the image without realizing you are editing the JPG instead of the NEF. I know, because I have done that too, and it can be quite frustrating when you realize what you have done.

I don't think there is an actual problem with the way NX2 is working when you use "Save as". I just think that it is quite easy to end up losing changes that you intended to put in the NEF. I'm not sure how the user interface could be changed to make problems like these less likely.

Danny

Shipmate Gold Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 23-Sep-10 01:58 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: "Save" vs. "Save as" in Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 19

SHERBORN, US

Thanks pwarbeck, TiggerGTO and mkass for your responses. They were very helpful and I understand what you are saying. While my workflow does not usually follow what was being discussed, this is very helpful should I use the approach being discussed.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Thu 23-Sep-10 11:38 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: "Save" vs. "Save as" in Capture NX 2"

Kingston, CA

Well explained Danny.

FrankSRGB Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2009Fri 24-Sep-10 08:11 AM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: "Save" vs. "Save as" in Capture NX 2"

US

>I'm not sure how the user interface could be changed to make problems like these less likely.

There would be no problems like these if CNX did the same thing Photoshop CS5 does when you save a PSD as a JPG -- the current document **REMAINS** in PSD format. PS doesn't change the current document to JPG like CNX does.

While there's no reason CNX couldn't be programmed to remain in the NEF format and spare us all this aggravation, let's not forget that this is only a problem because the user is making a bad decision, being lazy, or both. CNX is not to blame, it is after all the user who loses his edits due to his own actions.

The bad decision is to keep the JPG open. As Danny said, "It is very easy to continue editing the image without realizing you are editing the JPG instead of the NEF".

Assuming you've followed best practices and saved your NEF, what the heck can be accomplished with the JPG that can't be accomplished with the NEF? Nothing! Keeping the JPG open serves no useful purpose and is the ONLY reason people get themselves into this jam.

The lazy part is in not performing the 4 mouse clicks that makes this whole issue disappear.

1-Close JPG
2-Click the File menu
3-Click the Recent option
4-Click your NEF

Until Nikon sees fit to allow the current document to remain in the NEF format, this is the only way CNX users can take some initative and do it themselves.

As for me, the JPG is doomed to be closed the moment I hit the Save button. As soon as it's saved I immediately move my mouse over the big red X ready to close the window in CNX. Leaving it open is an accident waiting to happen. If I'm happy with the result I close it and move on to the next image. If I even SUSPECT it might need more work I still close it but follow through the last 3 mouse clicks. I never ever keep it open and gawk at the JPG because I know, as you all know, it is too easy to be fooled into thinking you are editing a NEF. If I'm going to gawk at anything while contemplating edits it will be the NEF.

Since doing this I've never lost edits to a JPG I mistook as a NEF. And in the end it is actually easier and less work as it takes fewer mouse clicks, less concentration, and achieves consistent results.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Fri 24-Sep-10 01:16 PM
#23. "RE: "Save" vs. "Save as" in Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 22
Fri 24-Sep-10 01:18 PM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

Perhaps this will be helpful. Here is my basic flow:

1. Import NEFs from memory card
2. Edit NEF to improve it (calling Capture NX2 from ACDsee Pro or ViewNX2)
3. Repeat Step 2 until all NEFs have been edited
4. Bring up thumbnail browser in Capture NX2
5. Select all NEFs (that's a usual filter I have on anyway)
6. Batch->Load Adjustments->Convert aRGB to sRGB
7. Go have a coffee
8. Move all NEFs into a subfolder called Raw

Step 6 setup gives you the option to save as NEF or save as JPG during the batch processing. I choose save as JPG. The batch command in step 6 can be a variety of things all in one, for example:

- fit to 800 pixels wide
- apply a light output sharpening
- convert from Adobe RGB to sRGB colour space

I have a collection of such batch command files for different situations (posting to SmugMug, posting to Nikonians, sending as email, high quality full size output, etc.).

Cheers,
Peter

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Fri 24-Sep-10 05:08 PM
#25. "RE: "Save" vs. "Save as" in Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 23

Apex, US

For what it is worth, I usually only save NEFs with NX2. If I want to get a JPG or create a web album, I use Photo Mechanic which extracts the JPG from the NEF. NX2 updates this JPG when you save the NEF, so it reflects all your edit steps. If I need a bunch of high quality JPGs, I will use the batch process like Peter. If I need a small number of high quality JPGs, I may use "Save as" like we have been discussing, but I tend to like the other paths better.

Danny

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 25-Sep-10 02:40 AM
#26. "RE: "Save" vs. "Save as" in Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 25

Kingston, CA

>I use Photo
>Mechanic which extracts the JPG from the NEF.

That is a good approach. I don't use Photo Mechanic - this would be a good reason to. Peter

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 25-Sep-10 02:47 AM
#27. "RE: "Save" vs. "Save as" in Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 26

Tacoma, US

>>I use Photo
>>Mechanic which extracts the JPG from the NEF.
>
>That is a good approach. I don't use Photo Mechanic - this
>would be a good reason to. Peter

It is also great for importing images from your cards, while tagging, renaming and creating backups, all at the same time. Add on the rating, color coding, uploading, resizing, cropping, slide show and web page creation, and it's just about the best $150 you'll spend on photography.

It works very well with CNX2 with a few simple setup steps.

Plus the support is first rate.

Did I tell you I really like it?

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 25-Sep-10 12:02 PM
#28. "RE: "Save" vs. "Save as" in Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 27

Kingston, CA

>Did I tell you I really like it?

Hi Mick. I am getting that impression I would likely buy it in an instant if it had some form of cataloging and the ability to gather up a bunch of images in different folders into a single collection. I understand they are working on this. Peter

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Mon 27-Sep-10 11:41 PM
#29. "RE: "Save" vs. "Save as" in Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 28

Apex, US

If you follow Camera Bits Forums they have been working on a cataloging feature for a very long time and have been devoting much of their development resources to the effort. It is way past the initial estimates from Kirk Baker the primary developer who posts on their forums. I am very anxious to see what they come out with and if it is up to the standards they have set with Photo Mechanic, it will be a great feature.

Danny

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Fri 24-Sep-10 03:31 PM
#24. "RE: "Save" vs. "Save as" in Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 22

Tucson AZ, US

FrankSRGB,
"Open Recent" is a good idea. I will use it.

You say that the user loses his edits due to his own actions, and has no one but himself to blame. If the user understands the subtleties of CNX2's file interface, then I agree. For example, if I make the same mistake after this discussion, I will kick myself. But during the two months that I have been using CNX2, I have lost some versions because I didn't understand the interface (see my my original post). The average CNX2 user probably doesn't run into this problem because he doesn't use versions and moves on to the next image after saving a jpg. But if they listen to the experts, as I did, they will adopt a NEF-centric workflow. The two books on CNX2 which I read advocate NEF-centric workflow, but (in my opinion) neither one adequately explains the subtleties of the file interface.

The above criticism aside, I highly recommend Jason Odell's book "The Photographer's Guide to Capture NX2"

Visit my gallery on 23hq

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3616 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.