nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3615
View in linear mode

Subject: "View NX2, Blank image in when viewing image" Previous topic | Next topic
gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Mon 20-Sep-10 04:30 PM
3745 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"View NX2, Blank image in when viewing image"

Farmington Hills, US

After scrolling through a few images in View NX2 Edit or full screen mode the image stops displaying. The only way I've found to get the images to display again is to exit and restart View NX2. This has been reported in other threads, but no solution has been posted. I'm using Windows XP SP3 with all current updates and patches on a 4GB Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

I get the same results with the cache on my C: drive or on a separate internal drive.

Does anyone have a solution? I'm on my way to going back to View NX.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: View NX2, Blank image in when viewing image
cliddell Silver Member
20th Sep 2010
gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014
20th Sep 2010
DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer
22nd Sep 2010
DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer
30th Sep 2010
rbaskin Silver Member
22nd Sep 2010
NASattack Silver Member
28th Sep 2010
PAStime Silver Member
10th Jan 2011
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
10th Jan 2011
Robp Gold Member
10th Jan 2011
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
10th Jan 2011
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
10th Jan 2011
PAStime Silver Member
10th Jan 2011
nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support
10th Jan 2011
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
10th Jan 2011
13th Jan 2011
nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support
13th Jan 2011
13th Jan 2011
13th Jan 2011
cliddell Silver Member
13th Jan 2011
PAStime Silver Member
14th Jan 2011
14th Jan 2011
PAStime Silver Member
16th Jan 2011

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Mon 20-Sep-10 08:57 PM
1003 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: View NX2, Blank image in when viewing image"
In response to Reply # 0

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Hi Gary,

If I have been using the PC for the usual emails and a bit of surfing etc and I decide to load ViewNX and CNX without exiting all programs I sometimes get the blank screen you mention.

It seems to me that it indicates a lack of sufficient memory. I only have 2 Gb memory to start with so my system is borderline. If I restart my PC and then load the 2 Nikon programs I have no problems at all...

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Mon 20-Sep-10 11:22 PM
3745 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: View NX2, Blank image in when viewing image"
In response to Reply # 1

Farmington Hills, US

Clive,

Thanks for the suggestion. I exited every program I could. I still get the same behavior. Fortunately View NX does everything I need and I don't need View NX2.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Wed 22-Sep-10 05:35 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: View NX2, Blank image in when viewing image"
In response to Reply # 2

Phoenix, US

I'm with Gary. View NX does the trick. I also experienced the same problems. I found that if I clicked between successive thumbnails too quickly prior to the first one rendering completely that I would see the partial image or no image at all. I could click on the image location as if I was doing a 100% zoom and I would actually see part of the image at 100% and part would be missing. When I released the mouse click it would go back to the whole image being missing. It does not seem to be a memory issue but rather a bug in the software. So I rolled back to View NX.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Thu 30-Sep-10 07:14 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: View NX2, Blank image in when viewing image"
In response to Reply # 3

Phoenix, US

I actually have improved performance after I updated the driver for my graphics card and then did a reinstallation of View NX2. I no longer have the problem with the parts of the picture missing or a gray screen that will not draw.

There are still some other quirks and I have not decided to make the switch over from NX, yet.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

rbaskin Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2007Wed 22-Sep-10 08:49 PM
354 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: View NX2, Blank image in when viewing image"
In response to Reply # 2

Ridgefield, US

Had the same problem as well. Sometimes just going back to the thumbnails and moving around them resolved it for a while.

Combine this with the fact that the keyword list that was developed in NX doesn't follow the move to NX2 and I'll either be going back to NX or moving to Photo Mechanic.

Ralph in CT

NASattack Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Feb 2008Tue 28-Sep-10 07:35 AM
176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: View NX2, Blank image in when viewing image"
In response to Reply # 4

Dartford, UK

Same problems and now it keeps crashing,deep joy.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Mon 10-Jan-11 12:48 AM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: View NX2, Blank image in when viewing image"
In response to Reply # 5

Kingston, CA

This is an old thread that I'm reviving.

I recently started using View NX2 and found the same. After 5 or so minutes of viewing images, I get no image at all in the view area, or large blocks of the image grayed out. From past threads I see that Nikon is aware of this, a fix was apparently on its way, and it may be related to the graphics driver. I have the latest version of ViewNX2 and I have the latest graphics drivers from NVidia. I haven't found any fixes other than exiting and restarting View NX2. Anyone with ideas?

Thanks,
Peter

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 10-Jan-11 03:22 AM
13277 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: View NX2, Blank image in when viewing image"
In response to Reply # 7

San Jose, US

Peter this may be board specific? I have ViewNX2 installed on a laptop, netbook and desktop all with very different video capabilities and each laptop only have 2GB while the desktop has 8 gb with no problems on any of them running ViewNX2.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Mon 10-Jan-11 06:54 AM
951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: View NX2, Blank image in when viewing image"
In response to Reply # 7
Mon 10-Jan-11 08:10 AM by Robp

Gainesville, US

Peter,

I edited this to remove nonsensical babble and amend it to concur with other's belief that Nikon products have a serious memory problem, in addition to probable improper interaction with some motherboards and/or video cards. I just hope that someone from Nikon/NIK is seeing our huge number of complaints. My stuff seems to work better than most, but I still see these problems occasionally.

Rob Puller
My Nikonians gallery

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 10-Jan-11 08:21 PM
8905 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: View NX2, Blank image in when viewing image"
In response to Reply # 7

Atlanta, US

I'm seeing the problem intermittantly as well on a previously stable Vista PC with 4 GB of RAM. My wife is having even more problems and has tried exiting and relaunching View NX2, clearing the cache, resizing the cache up and down, and even rebooting her PC. She is working with D7000 images and they seem to be more problematic than those from my D300.

It seems to me that one of the edit steps is causing the problem. I'm not sure whether it is cropping, resizing, or something else but resizing seems to generate my errors most frequently.

I like the new functionality of View NX2, and would prefer to not roll back to View NX if I can come up with an adequate workaround.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberMon 10-Jan-11 04:17 AM
35228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: View NX2, Blank image in when viewing image"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 10-Jan-11 04:19 AM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Gary,
We have the same computers and system!
Remember that Windows XP S3 only uses 3 GB out of the 4 available.

Although I have no issues on my main computer, my laptop freezes quite often and slows it down to molasses. The imminent sign that this will happen are the blank screens on ViewNX2.

The combination of ViewNX2 and CaptureNX2 is definitively a RAM hog.
On Capture I can't go back to the previous versions because they won't read D700 NEFs. I will re-install ViewNX and see if that helps.

My solution -I am afraid- will be to get a new laptop on Windows 7 Ultimate so I can keep some critical software that I run on XP S3, but add up to 12G or 16GB of RAM on an new i7 processor for post-processing with the fastest possible laptop dedicated NVIDIA video card.

Rob,
The difference with your system is surely a faster processor and a more efficient video card.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Mon 10-Jan-11 04:23 PM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: View NX2, Blank image in when viewing image"
In response to Reply # 9

Kingston, CA

Thanks all for comments so far.

I have written software in the past and using that knowledtge and experience can't see why this would be a RAM problem related to how much physical RAM is installed on the motherboard. Sloppy memory management maybe, but not running out of physical memory.

If I had to guess it is DirectX/OpenGL type of problem, perhaps unique to DirectX implementation for my graphics processor chip (Nvidia GeForce 7900 GS).

Cheers,
Peter

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Mon 10-Jan-11 06:43 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: View NX2, Blank image in when viewing image"
In response to Reply # 11

US

I don't think it is fundamentally a RAM problem either (ViewNX2 graying out). It might also occur when ram shortages occur. I have the usual problems with Capture when too much is open. Bad memory management is a definite problem and I don't suggest it could or couldn't emulate this core problem.

I say this because I currently have ViewNX2 installed and it is useless on my Win XP SP3 laptop with 3GB memory. If the problem occurs immediately after booting, then if it is a memory problem that suggests ViewNX2 can't run in 32 bit.

I have not tried to update my video drivers yet.

my Nikonians gallery.

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberMon 10-Jan-11 08:21 PM
35228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: View NX2, Blank image in when viewing image"
In response to Reply # 12

> I have not tried to update my video drivers yet.

That is a darn good tip. I'll try it for my laptop.
Thank you.

P.S. Switching to ViewNX from ViewNX2 did not help much.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberThu 13-Jan-11 11:10 AM
#15. "RE: View NX2, Blank image in when viewing image"
In response to Reply # 12
Fri 14-Jan-11 10:52 AM by jrp

Correct again, Neil
You were right too, Peter

I bit the bullet and went out to get a new laptop, and ended up with a x64-based PC laptop.
It runs Windows 7 Enterprise, has a fast 1 GB video card, and an i7 quad core with 8 virtual processors; but only 4GB RAM (as of now).

It turned out an out-of-the-blue great opportunity but that is another story.

Staying on topic, starting the machine and opening a D700 NEF files folder on ViewNX2 increases the use of RAM only by 2%.
The opening one of the NEF files on Capture NX2, increases use of RAM by only 6%.
Opening the resulting TIFF with Photoshop increases use of RAM by another 9%.
Opening files on each program takes only seconds. Virtually one second on ViewNX2 once it has uploaded the entire folder.
So, which one is the slow RAM hog?

It seems it has much to do with what operating system and processor the whole process workflow is runned on and how updated it is.

It should be noticed that as one progresses with other separate simulataneous operations (virus scan, email, etc) the increases are higher but remain proportional and of course there is no blackout or slowdown. I will test it later with many images open on Capture NX2.

Switching from ViewNX2 to ViewNX did not change anything on my old XP SP3 laptop, by the way, even after updating the video card driver.

Have a great time

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Thu 13-Jan-11 11:22 AM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: View NX2, Blank image in when viewing image"
In response to Reply # 15

US

Sounds like a winner, Jrp

We should not have to be running i7 processors in 64 bit to display embedded jpgs from our NEFs, though

my Nikonians gallery.

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberThu 13-Jan-11 01:52 PM
#17. "RE: View NX2, Blank image in when viewing image"
In response to Reply # 16
Thu 13-Jan-11 01:53 PM by jrp

Of course, however there is obviously a minimum requirement for comfortable processsing even if not very speedy.

Have a great time

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Thu 13-Jan-11 02:32 PM
#18. "RE: View NX2, Blank image in when viewing image"
In response to Reply # 17

US

Yes, but "speedy" and "functions at all" are two different matters . No one is complaining about speed, just blank gray screens.

I should also mention that my laptop is relatively recent vintage, only 18 months old, with an Intel T6400 Core 2 Duo processor. It's what I would call a "modern(ish) budget laptop". I think ViewNX2 ought to function on that machine and manage to display images, however slowly it may perform. Capture NX 2.2 does, if not the speediest.

I suspect many laptops running XP now are quite old. In my case I jumped through a few hoops to stay with 32 bit XP due to the requirements of some software development tools I use. Otherwise I would be just as happy to run Win7.

I don't believe this is a performance issue. It can't be. It can't be that hard to display a JPG and it's not that hard to extract it. I have seen no evidence that any other commonly used browser app out there has these problems, even with ancient machines. Only ViewNX2 (and maybe ViewNX if your case is considered albeit atypical of what is reported here). I take Nikon at face value when they say it is driver related, which means they have a problem with their software (since apparently no one else does). They say they have reproduced the problem. We'll see if they have any interest in a reasonably quick fix- so far no.

my Nikonians gallery.

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Thu 13-Jan-11 04:09 PM
1003 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: View NX2, Blank image in when viewing image"
In response to Reply # 18

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Hi Neil,

Just a data point:

When on holiday "down under" I took an old (1st generation XP 1G RAM) netbook (Acer Aspire). It had/has loaded VNX2, CNX2 as well as the usual other programs and had no problems editing D200 files while on holiday. Of course I had a couple of USB 320GB hard drives for active files and storage but had not one processing problem for the two months holiday.

At home I have an ageing XP-Pro SP3 Pentium4 3.2GHz 2GB RAM, "on board" video driver and it has recently started blacking out occasionally in "full screen" VNX2 unless I close all open stuff (and run CCleaner) before opening V & CNX2.

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Fri 14-Jan-11 03:57 AM
#20. "RE: View NX2, Blank image in when viewing image"
In response to Reply # 15

Kingston, CA

Congrats on the new laptop! Sounds like a super setup for post processing. Glad to see it is working.

I do think however that a 3 year old NVidia graphics card should be compatible with ViewNX2. All other programs on this PC are happy with the graphics card.

Of course perhaps it has nothing to do with the graphics card.

A new PC would be fun. The funds are not in my bank account though.

Peter

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberFri 14-Jan-11 11:24 AM
#21. "RE: View NX2, Blank image in when viewing image"
In response to Reply # 20
Sat 15-Jan-11 11:15 AM by jrp

Video cards gather dust and stop working well.
At least that happened to me on my main computer.
(I suspect the same problem on my laptop even if at a lesser degree)
It has its own fan but when dusty it starts to slow down.
I am now buying a computer vacuum cleaner.

On my main computer the video card fan came to a complete halt and fried after demanding more power.
One of the symptoms was flickering of images, showing moire.
Then blank screens on full screen view in ViewNX and ViewNX2.

As for the video card malfunction it should be added that the power spikes we get at home -when an outage is fixed- cannot be tamed by any commercial voltage regulator.
So if it happens when I am not close by to unplug everything .... hell breaks loose on all electronics, including my freezer cpu, the bases of wireless phones, TVs, etc.

Off topic:
On my laptop I found no solution.
The motherboard couldn't take more memory to allow for a decent upgrade to Windows 7.

I got an amazing deal on my new one.
Somebody was an investor in a new IT venture that went down and was paid back in goods among which were five new Alienware M15x laptops.
He asked for a professional laptop dealer and repairer to help him sell them.
That dealer happened to be the husband of one of my nieces who knew I had been dreaming on an Alienware.
I rejected it without seeing it because it was an M15x and I wanted the 17" screen of the M17x -my son has one for producing and editing videos professionally.

For my luck, he insisted. "Just drop by to see it", so I did.
Man! What a machine.

Then I asked for the price and said no. My nephew told me "Let me talk to the owner."

Well, the owner turned out to be another "nephew", grandson of one of my dear "compadres" and son of a good friend.

I ended up paying $2,800 for a machine that is quoted at $4,895 at Dell with this configuration.
To further make it possible, one of my banks offered me up to 18 months with no interest on the purchase with a credit card.

Couldn't be happier, except for the fact that NAS will not be satisfied this year, even a little.

Have a great time

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sun 16-Jan-11 05:52 PM
#22. "RE: View NX2, Blank image in when viewing image"
In response to Reply # 21

Kingston, CA

Nice machine JRP - should work for your for a number of years. It is probably the equivalent of a high end desktop in a laptop package.

I solved my problem with ViewNX2 images not displaying properly - I bought Photo Mechanic! I work in research at the local university and will use it there as well as for some personal home stuff (the license file allows for that). I am so far quite impressed with it.

Peter

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3615 Previous topic | Next topic