Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3541
View in linear mode

Subject: "NX2 and Sharpening issues" Previous topic | Next topic
jacsr Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2006Fri 10-Sep-10 01:18 AM
919 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NX2 and Sharpening issues"

Texas City, US

Has anyone experienced this when using NX2. When I apply sharpening the photo initially looks great then a few seconds later it just softens like the sharpening was removed or turned down. I have to deleted the step and redo, at times this will work and the sharpening remains sometimes it will soften again. This just started today. There have been no changes to the computer.

This is really annoying, since I cannot feel confident that my adjustments will remain active.

I was using v 2.2.5 I did a complete uninstall and reverted back to v 2.2.4 still have the same issue. I have looked for possible settings that may need to be adjusted but have not found anything that relates. I really like NX2 for its ease of use but if this continues I'm going to be forced to move to something else.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Joe

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: NX2 and Sharpening issues
robsb Platinum Member
10th Sep 2010
jacsr Silver Member
10th Sep 2010
robsb Platinum Member
10th Sep 2010
jacsr Silver Member
10th Sep 2010
robsb Platinum Member
10th Sep 2010
TiggerGTO Silver Member
11th Sep 2010
robsb Platinum Member
12th Sep 2010
TiggerGTO Silver Member
12th Sep 2010
robsb Platinum Member
12th Sep 2010
TiggerGTO Silver Member
13th Sep 2010
Robp Gold Member
13th Sep 2010
mklass Platinum Member
13th Sep 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
14th Sep 2010
TiggerGTO Silver Member
10th Sep 2010
jacsr Silver Member
10th Sep 2010
sevtcard Silver Member
11th Sep 2010
jacsr Silver Member
11th Sep 2010
jacsr Silver Member
15th Sep 2010
TiggerGTO Silver Member
15th Sep 2010
jacsr Silver Member
16th Sep 2010
sevtcard Silver Member
16th Sep 2010

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 10-Sep-10 02:52 AM
12554 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: NX2 and Sharpening issues"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Did you set all your edit steps to be persistent in the preferences pull down. If you did not the sharpening will look like it disappeared, when it fact it has not.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

jacsr Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2006Fri 10-Sep-10 02:54 AM
919 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: NX2 and Sharpening issues"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 10-Sep-10 02:55 AM by jacsr

Texas City, US

Hi Bob,

Yes I did, all steps are to stay active.

Joe

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 10-Sep-10 04:18 PM
12554 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: NX2 and Sharpening issues"
In response to Reply # 2

San Jose, US

OK then do a search here because I know this was discussed a few months ago in the forum, but I don't remember the outcome. I have never seen this, and my images sharpen just fine. I am on a PC, not a MAC.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

jacsr Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2006Fri 10-Sep-10 07:28 PM
#6. "RE: NX2 and Sharpening issues"
In response to Reply # 5
Fri 10-Sep-10 07:33 PM by jacsr

Texas City, US

>OK then do a search here

It appears the search feature is not working. Any search I do no matter the subject returns 0 entries.

Edited: All of the search requests come back with 0 entries, however, some have a link in red titled "did you mean..." if you click on that it will list the entries. However the intial search doesn't work and not all search requests have the "did you mean" link.

Joe

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 10-Sep-10 09:02 PM
#7. "RE: NX2 and Sharpening issues"
In response to Reply # 6

San Jose, US

OK I did a search on NX2 Sharpening and got this link:

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=196&topic_id=56822&prev_page=show_topic&gid=56822#56867

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Sat 11-Sep-10 11:12 PM
2252 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: NX2 and Sharpening issues"
In response to Reply # 7
Sat 11-Sep-10 11:13 PM by TiggerGTO

Apex, US

I reported the NikoScope problem with the post-processing forums about two months ago. Apparently, they can't figure out why the subforums are not getting indexed.

Bob, how did you search and find results in the post-processing section?

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 12-Sep-10 01:16 AM
#11. "RE: NX2 and Sharpening issues"
In response to Reply # 10

San Jose, US

I just limited the scope of my search thread. Putting in something like NX2 sharpening softens, got me zero hits, so I just put in NX2 sharpening and I got lots of hits.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Sun 12-Sep-10 12:35 PM
2252 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: NX2 and Sharpening issues"
In response to Reply # 11

Apex, US

I was never able to get any hits at all in any of the post-processing sub-forums via NikoScope, even if I simply selected the forum and searched without any keywords. Bo and JRP have both verified that there is a bug in the thread I referenced earlier.

Danny

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 12-Sep-10 10:58 PM
#13. "RE: NX2 and Sharpening issues"
In response to Reply # 12

San Jose, US

Did they fix the bug then? I do agree that I should have received a hit for the current thread because it spoke of sparpening going soft, but I did not. In any search engine, what you enter can make a big difference, but I do think Bing does a very good job of figuring out what I am looking for.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Mon 13-Sep-10 12:07 PM
#14. "RE: NX2 and Sharpening issues"
In response to Reply # 13

Apex, US

As far as I know, they are still trying to figure out why the sub-forums are not getting indexed. I wonder if people would have voted for the split post-processing forums if they had known they were giving up search. (Sorry, but I'm still annoyed by the new structure.)

Danny

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Mon 13-Sep-10 12:41 PM
951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: NX2 and Sharpening issues"
In response to Reply # 14

Gainesville, US

Danny,

I entered "nx2 sharpening" in the Search Box at the top of this thread; "nx2 sharpening forumId:"133"" was returned in the Search Box on the next page with zero results. Then, I deleted the "forumid:"133" part of the phrase, re-clicked on Search and many responses were returned. So, Nikkoscope works, albeit with an extra step.

Rob Puller
my Nikonians gallery

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 13-Sep-10 01:13 PM
5811 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: NX2 and Sharpening issues"
In response to Reply # 14

Tacoma, US

I would have voted for it anyway. Discrete forums is much better for finding information. NIkonscope isn't that important to me. It'd be nice if they fixed it, but I find most search engines are 50% useful, at best.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Tue 14-Sep-10 02:30 PM
4167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: NX2 and Sharpening issues"
In response to Reply # 16

Alberta, CA

I guess I completely missed when the PP forums split. But having found the "new" forum I have subscribed to everything in the entire forum. I feel like a kid in the candy store with many fine tips gleaned in the last week or so from Danny, Bob, and others. Thanks so far guys!!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Fri 10-Sep-10 12:06 PM
#3. "RE: NX2 and Sharpening issues"
In response to Reply # 0

Apex, US

This happens to me almost all the time. I'm not sure whether to assume the sharpening was applied and the rendering is wrong or what. I've seen this discussed before and somebody suggested looking at the image at 100%. I'll have to experiment with this some more when I have time. I wonder if anybody has ever reported it to Nikon.

Danny

jacsr Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2006Fri 10-Sep-10 03:37 PM
#4. "RE: NX2 and Sharpening issues"
In response to Reply # 3

Texas City, US

Hi Danny,

I agree, it is hard to feel confident that the sharpening took. Worse, you can't really determine if the sharpening is appropriate because it doesn't stay visible long enough to make changes.

I did a test last night. I processed a photo and then applied sharpening (At 100% view). I then switch to fit to screen, for the few seconds after switching views the sharpening was visible it appeared to be adequate then it smoothed out. I saved the NEF and closed NX2. I then opened the NEF in FastStone Image Viewer and was shocked to see that the photo looked over sharpened. It did not look like the sharpened version in NX2 even though it was only visible for a second or two. I then checked the smooth box in FastStone and the image appeared like the one in NX2 after it changed from displaying the sharpening to the less sharpened version that remained on the screen. I doubled checked NX2 settings to make sure there wasn't a setting for smoothing and there was none.

What concerns me more now is that the sharpening that appears adequate in NX2 appears over sharpened in FastStone. These little annoyances really impact the efficiency of the application but worse I feel I can't trust the settings. I like NX2 for the simplicity of use and when it works it processes NEFs well but these issues may force me in another direction.

Joe

sevtcard Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009Sat 11-Sep-10 12:28 AM
327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: NX2 and Sharpening issues"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat 11-Sep-10 12:29 AM by sevtcard

Brattleboro, US

this is something i've noticed since i first began using nx2 and has persisted across computers. my sense has been that what i am seeing is just millions of pixels as they go through wave after wave of processing to the final result...in terms of the printed image, the result has always mirrored my monitor...(i remember when i first began using nx2, that, as the first wave of processing went on, i thought, i like that level of sharpening, only to discover that as the next wave came through, it would change as you describe, and so, i'd have to do more porocessing....) i can't explain the appearance in your other programs - i comfort myself with the fact that the printed results mirror my monitor work...so, how does your printing go??
mark
www.broadwallphotography.com

jacsr Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2006Sat 11-Sep-10 12:58 AM
#9. "RE: NX2 and Sharpening issues"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 11-Sep-10 04:00 PM by jacsr

Texas City, US

Bob,

Thanks for the link. I tried the settings suggested and still no joy. However, I did discover something. I decided to go back and check my processing steps. What I did find was for the photos that I have been experiencing this softening, I had forgotten to remove the initial capture sharpening. I removed the capture sharpening, waited for the update to complete, then adjusted the USM in 100% view and waited for the adjustment to complete. In fact I waited a full 5 minutes to see if it would smooth and it did not. I then set the view to Fit To Screen and it remained stable no smoothing. I saved the NEF, and then opened it in FastStone viewer and the photo looked as it did in the Fit to Screen view in NX2.

I don't know why the capture sharpening would cause the softening like it did but for now it seems to be working. I will keep testing to see if it remains stable.

Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions,

Joe

jacsr Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2006Wed 15-Sep-10 04:47 PM
#18. "RE: NX2 and Sharpening issues"
In response to Reply # 0

Texas City, US

Ok, it is official, at least in my case. If I leave the capture sharpening enabled the picture will soften after applying output sharpening at the end. If I turn the capture sharpening to "0" and apply output sharpening the picture remains sharp. I tested this theory while processing 50 nefs and I was able to reproduce the affect consistently.

I cannot figure out why this would happen but I guess it really doesn't matter as long as I know what can keep it from happening. In any event, so far removing capture sharpening resolves the issue I am having.

Joe

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Wed 15-Sep-10 05:26 PM
#19. "RE: NX2 and Sharpening issues"
In response to Reply # 18
Wed 15-Sep-10 05:27 PM by TiggerGTO

Apex, US

Can you please explain exactly what you mean by "capture sharpening"? Do you mean the sharpening that can be done with the Picture Control in the Develop section? Some people apply a light unsharp mask edit step as capture sharpening.

If you can verify that it is repeatable, it might be worthwhile reporting the problem to Nikon. Although, I've learned not to hope for much when you report software problems to Nikon.

Danny

jacsr Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2006Thu 16-Sep-10 12:43 AM
#20. "RE: NX2 and Sharpening issues"
In response to Reply # 19

Texas City, US

>Can you please explain exactly what you mean by "capture
>sharpening"? Do you mean the sharpening that can be done
>with the Picture Control in the Develop section? Some people
>apply a light unsharp mask edit step as capture sharpening.
>
>If you can verify that it is repeatable, it might be
>worthwhile reporting the problem to Nikon. Although, I've
>learned not to hope for much when you report software problems
>to Nikon.
>
>Danny
>>size="2"]A Nikonian in North Carolina

Yes each of the picture controls have a default sharpening setting, if I leave the default picture control sharpening in place then add USM, the photo will appear sharp for a second or two and then soften. If I remove the picture control default sharpening (set to 0) the photo will remain sharp after USM has been applied.

I have submitted this to Nikon, but as you say I'm not holding my breath for a reply.

Joe

sevtcard Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009Thu 16-Sep-10 12:54 AM
327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: NX2 and Sharpening issues"
In response to Reply # 20

Brattleboro, US

so, if you have sharpening set in camera and then in the 'camera settings' step, you remove sharpening (set to '0') in nx2 do you observe the same finding after adding usm?
mark
www.broadwallphotography.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3541 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.