Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3493
View in linear mode

Subject: "DNG not read in NX2" Previous topic | Next topic
pwkirk Registered since 19th Mar 2010Sat 04-Sep-10 03:10 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"DNG not read in NX2"

US

I have just recently started converting my images in Lightroom 2.7 to DNG. They open quicker and run easier than the NEF files do. But when I tried to open and view them in View NX and Capture NX they didn't come up at all. Why is that? Does Capture NX2 not read the DNG files? Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: DNG not read in NX2
walkerr Administrator
04th Sep 2010
robsb Platinum Member
04th Sep 2010
pwkirk
04th Sep 2010
walkerr Administrator
04th Sep 2010
pwkirk
04th Sep 2010
Reply message RE: DNG not read in Nx2
gkaiseril Gold Member
04th Sep 2010

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 04-Sep-10 03:15 AM
14392 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: DNG not read in NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

No, it doesn't.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 04-Sep-10 06:36 AM
12557 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: DNG not read in NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

If you want to share files between LR and CNX2 us TIFFs.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

pwkirk Registered since 19th Mar 2010Sat 04-Sep-10 11:01 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: DNG not read in NX2"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thank you both. I'm surprised that NX2 can't read the DNG files though. Scott Kelby in his book, "Lightroom 2 book for digital photographers", touts the DNG files as an open source file that will be able to be read by many applications. And he recommends converting the NEF's because one day their make-up might change so that they couldn't be read and except by propietory software. But already it seems that DNG files are that way. Anyway thanks again.

One more thing. Which do you guys recommend, the DNG or the NEF?

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 04-Sep-10 12:42 PM
14392 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: DNG not read in NX2"
In response to Reply # 3

Colorado Springs, US

That's a very long subject which has already been thrashed quite a bit. I use them because I think they have several advantages for photographers using an Adobe-centric workflow. That doesn't mean they only work with Adobe applications, but that the advantages are more prominent. If you're using NX2, you clearly shouldn't be using DNGs.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

pwkirk Registered since 19th Mar 2010Sat 04-Sep-10 11:31 PM
#6. "RE: DNG not read in NX2"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>That's a very long subject which has already been thrashed
>quite a bit. I use them because I think they have several
>advantages for photographers using an Adobe-centric workflow.
>That doesn't mean they only work with Adobe applications, but
>that the advantages are more prominent. If you're using NX2,
>you clearly shouldn't be using DNGs.

Thanks Rick. Actually I was using NX2 before I switched to Lightroom for the cataloging capability. But since then, I've come to like the editing in Lightroom as well. But on occasion I run a file through NX2--until I started downloading in DNG. I will probably just stay with Lightroom from now on.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sat 04-Sep-10 09:40 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: DNG not read in Nx2"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Just because a vendor publicly discloses the specifications of a file format and offers a free SDK, System Developers Kit, does not make it a standard format let alone an ISO standard.

See Adobe DNGand DNG hardware and software support for more information about who and how the DNG format is supported. Note there are many programs that can read the format but will not write the formal.

Adobe has asked the ISO to take over the format specification, but it is not known if this will be accepted as an international standard. And even if it is an ISO Standard,individual vendors will still be free to not include it in their product.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3493 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.