Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3487
View in linear mode

Subject: "ViewNX 2 not applying default sharpening?" Previous topic | Next topic
KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Fri 03-Sep-10 03:00 PM
4450 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"ViewNX 2 not applying default sharpening?"

Alberta, CA

Long time ViewNX user upgraded to 2. In the viewing mode (I am not talking about editing) I have the impression ViewNX 2 is not applying my in camera sharpening whereas the previous version was. Thus images appear to be less sharp. I don't see anything where I can control this behavior?

Anyone else notice this? Am speaking strictly about NEF/RAW. I haven't done a lot of shooting since the new software, maybe it has something to do with how I shot my last event. Very interested in others comments...

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Fri 03-Sep-10 03:58 PM
1002 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: ViewNX 2 not applying default sharpening?"
In response to Reply # 0

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Hi Steve,

On the contrary, I have been amazed at the overall good appearance of images opened (and subsequently edited) in ViewNX2.

I just happen to have used my trusty old 18-70 kit lens quite a bit since loading VNX2 and I was wondering if Nikon has applied some new lens correction algorithm in the "auto lateral colour aberation" (which is the default and only "correction" I have ticked).

BTW I have med-high sharpening set in my D200 which I used for most of the pics above.

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Fri 03-Sep-10 05:15 PM
1002 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: ViewNX 2 not applying default sharpening?"
In response to Reply # 1

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Replying to my own post just to show a handheld pic taken from the sidewalk during a recent walk round the neighbourhood - D200, 18-70, VNX2.

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 05-Sep-10 02:58 PM
4450 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: ViewNX 2 not applying default sharpening?"
In response to Reply # 2

Alberta, CA

OK Thanks Clive. I will take a closer look today. I did some shooting yesterday. Appreciate your advice and great sharp photo btw!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3487 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.