Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3430
View in linear mode

Subject: "Problems with Nikon software?!" Previous topic | Next topic
NikonianBG Registered since 23rd Feb 2009Sun 29-Aug-10 04:20 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Problems with Nikon software?!"

Sofia, BG

Hi, dear Nikonians,
I would like to know whether you have any problems with Nikon software and how do you cope with them?

Several days ago I downloaded View NX2, but the following occurred many times while viewing photos and exporting them to Capture NX2: Unsupported file format appeared at some time while viewing RAW files and I have to restart the program, so that I can view again the raw files. This is really very irritating. The same happened lately while using View NX, not to mention its slower work in general. Or View NX has stopped working and I have to restart the program. It is easy to transfer images from View NX to the Capture but with all those problems I decided to use FastStone Image Viewer.

I also have problems with Capture NX2. It will not copy the adjustments sometimes or copy them partially, which is also very annoying. Several times, while it was loaded with 10-12 photos, it would display: An error occurred and Capture NX2 has stopped working , I had to close it without remembering which photos I have chosen, of course. This really infuriates me.

There are no problems whatsoever while opening raw or jpg files with Photoshop and working with it, and it is also very fast on both my computers. The thing is that I am very bad at using Photoshop and it is easier for me to use Capture NX2 for simple editing.
I have newly installed Windows 7 64bit on two powerful computers. The same problem occurred on another 64bit Win 7 computer.

Is it the same with you and do you have any suggestions for solving those problems? Thank you for your attention.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Problems with Nikon software?!
johngie
29th Aug 2010
robsb Platinum Member
30th Aug 2010
ericbowles Moderator
30th Aug 2010
NikonianBG
31st Aug 2010
robsb Platinum Member
01st Sep 2010
gerphil Silver Member
01st Sep 2010
robsb Platinum Member
02nd Sep 2010
klafollette Silver Member
18th Sep 2010
     Reply message RE: Problems with Nikon soft ware?!
robsb Platinum Member
19th Sep 2010
          Reply message RE: Problems with Nikon soft ware?!
robsb Platinum Member
29th Sep 2010
gerphil Silver Member
07th Sep 2010

johngie Registered since 07th Jul 2007Sun 29-Aug-10 07:39 PM
300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Problems with Nikon software?!"
In response to Reply # 0

Mold, GB

Hi,

You're not the only one. I've had some infuriating experiences with Capture NX2 (latest problem is with the latest 2.2.5 that crashes immediately on one XP computer (but not on another) with a problem with .NET Framework 2.0 (or so the event info says). I've checked all the .NET Framework files on both computers (using a file comparison utility) and they are all identical.

Thankfully reverting to 2.2.4 has stopped the problem. But it looks as though Nikon shifts the goalposts each time they perform a minor upgrade.

It's a great shame, because Capture NX2 is by far the best RAW file manipulation program for NEF files.

John Gruffydd
Mold, Wales, UK
D300, D200, OM1, OM2n, Bronica ETRSi, Lumix LX5

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 30-Aug-10 03:43 AM
12833 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Problems with Nikon software?!"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 30-Aug-10 03:45 AM by robsb

San Jose, US

I have run View NX2 on a Win 7 64 bit system with 8 GB RAM and an Intel Core 2 Duo processor- absolutely no problems, same for Capture NX2, I have done the same on a Vista Home Premium laptop with 2 GB memory. I have also tried View NX2 on a netbook with 2 GB and Win 7 32 bit Starter and an atom processor, again no problems. If you are seeing unsupported file format messages, have you by any chance worked on these images in Photoshop before trying to open them in CNX2? Make sure you have all the support files loaded starting witn Windows Net 2/0 and the later versions. Also make sure you have Visual C++ redistributables loaded on your computer, especially 2005 and 2008 and their updates. Try uninstalling and reinstalling View NX2.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 30-Aug-10 10:25 AM
8710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Problems with Nikon software?!"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I'm still getting used to View NX2. I have been using the prior versions and not had any significant issues.

Capture NX2 does not work very well with a lot of images open at once. My approach is to work on a single image at a time - maybe two in some cases. If you need to work on more, empty the cache before starting your edits.

Capture NX2 does require a bit of memory. I have 4GB of RAM on a Vista 32 bit system. It was a little slower with 2GB of RAM.

The 64 bit implementation of Capture has been a bit more problematic. I get the sense an update of the software to address 64 bit systems is forthcoming.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

NikonianBG Registered since 23rd Feb 2009Tue 31-Aug-10 05:55 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Problems with Nikon software?!"
In response to Reply # 0

Sofia, BG

Well, as I said, there is no problem whatsoever opening the same RAW files with Photoshop! And I cannot transform myself into a computer wizard, just to make Nikon software work normally on my computers. I have had similar problems on XP, Vista 32bit and now on Win 7 64bit - only in different degree on 3 different computers! I reinstalled several times Capture and View NX with no change in the situation. And a friend of mine has the same Unsupported file format problem on his 64bit Win 7.
And now there is another one, which is completely unexplainable to me. It happens for a second time. I open certain RAW file in Capture NX2 and the colors and contrast just change by themselves after I had made some changes, they just do not seem stable! This is unbelievable!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 01-Sep-10 07:47 AM
12833 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Problems with Nikon software?!"
In response to Reply # 4

San Jose, US

If you are having problems on 3 different systems, what is the same about them. for example hardware or software installed? There must be a common cause why you are having problems and we are not. Remember when you open RAW files in NX2 it is reading and applying all your camera settings, Photoshop is not doing that. It is also working on the RAW file for all edits, and Photoshop is not doing that. As far as settings changing, my guess is you have not set all edit steps to remain active as you edit (look in prefereces). You must spend a little time to try and understand how to set up CNX2, otherwise just stick with photoshop if it works better for you.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

gerphil Silver Member Charter MemberWed 01-Sep-10 12:45 PM
171 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Problems with Nikon software?!"
In response to Reply # 0

Haarlem, NL

I updated to Capture NX2 2.2.5 and using it now for a few days without any issue. I haven't tried View NX2 yet as I struggle with the elimination of direct emaling - and I am perfectly happy with ViexNX 1.5.2 as a browser.

Maybe this explains why: I have turned caching off in Capture NX2 as it gives no value for me (the system is fast enough to re-render previously edited images). And after every upgrade of Nikon software I reboot and subsequently run cc cleaner for a registry clean-up (which always reveals issues with the .Net Framework!). Then I perform a disk defragmentation.

I had issues in the past but since I do this I have no complaints. FYI: I use a trusted two-year old XP SP3 macine, with suffient (4Gb) RAM (DDR2) and a dual core 3.3 Ghz processor.

The only issue I have is that starting up Capture NX2 occasionally fails when I have done some surfing (IE) and emailing (Outlook) first, and in particular when I used Firefox before. This forces me to restart the system as it is impossible to just close Capture NX. Have no clue why. So, if I have the faintest idea to do some image editing lateron, I open up View NX and Capture before I start up any other application - and keep them open.

Cheers,
Gerphil

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 02-Sep-10 01:26 AM
#7. "RE: Problems with Nikon software?!"
In response to Reply # 6

San Jose, US

Turning off or limiting the Cache was the one thing I did that stabilized my copy of CNX2, that and making sure I had all Net.Framework files and Visual C++ redistributables installed.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

klafollette Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2009Sat 18-Sep-10 12:52 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Problems with Nikon software?!"
In response to Reply # 7

Carol Stream, US

>Turning off or limiting the Cache was the one thing I did
>that stabilized my copy of CNX2, that and making sure I had
>all Net.Framework files and Visual C++ redistributables
>installed.

Can anyone clarify what to look for to verify the .NET and C++ stuff is correct? I tried finding specifics in the other long thread(s) on NX2 stability problems, but not finding exactly what to look for, or how to update if wrong.

I'm running NX2 2.2.5 on Win7 64b. Have cache turned off and still having lockup issues. Looking in Win7 "Programs and Features" I see the following are installed:

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (v4.0.30319)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (v8.0.59193)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.4148

Is that correct, or do I need something updated?

Visit my SmugMug gallery.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 19-Sep-10 04:59 AM
#10. "RE: Problems with Nikon soft ware?!"
In response to Reply # 9

San Jose, US

I am traveling, but in a previous post here I did list all the Net Framework and Visual C++ versions on my 64 bit system, but it is a desktop and at home. Of the top of my head, there is also a VC++ 2008 redistributable, and you need to add earlier NET framework code, even though 4 is supposed to have them all. I had 3.5 and 4 both currently loaded but 3.5 will not show up in the Programs list, but it is there. Off hand I forget how you can show it is there, as it is a pull down in a window I don't recall now that shows it is installed. I suggest you search back and look for the thread where I posted my stuff. If you don't find it, I will repost my capture when I get home.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 29-Sep-10 02:57 AM
#11. "RE: Problems with Nikon soft ware?!"
In response to Reply # 10

San Jose, US

OK I am back and here is a snapshot of what is loaded on my machine running Win 7 64 bit.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

gerphil Silver Member Charter MemberTue 07-Sep-10 05:47 PM
171 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Problems with Nikon software?!"
In response to Reply # 6

Haarlem, NL

In the meantime I tested Nikon View NX2 but I just uninstalled it.

It appeared that viewing images full-screen stops displaying the images properly after about 7 images. But also I found the user interface too disturbing - I like the very modest look & feel of View NX. I also don't find it noticeable faster and indeed miss the email function.

As I am perfectly happy with View NX and see no use in the improvements brought by NX 2 (I don't edit in View, I only use it as a browser/viewer, and to open images for editing from here to Capture NX2) I thought saving myself the diskspace and the hassle of getting it working properly.

Regards,
Gerphil

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3430 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.